Ritterskoop on today's "Crosswords"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#26 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:36 pm

Ritterskoop wrote: [/spoiler]
Spoiler
Ty said when I misspelled "nests" he knew I was up to something. I told him it was just like a sac fly.
[/quote]

I love this quote!!

Congratulations, Skoop!!

You did GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Ritterskoop

#27 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:46 pm

tlynn78 wrote:I won't get to see this, so if someone wants to recap for me, spoil away, please. I don't even know the format of the game except I suspect it has to do with solving crossword puzzles...

t.
Spoiler
I started on the front row with Jimmy. At the end of the first round he had about $450 and I had about -$450. On came the spoilers, and after a bit the strongest one, Nathan, bumped Jimmy, who had maybe $1250. At some point Jimmy bumped him back but at the crucial moment Nathan and I held the front row. He was over $8000, having played well. I'd begun deliberately misspelling things, hoping a spoiler would have to bump me, which did happen. Beth was not pleased she had to take my spot, but Nathan hadn't rung in. So I was FINALLY on the back row, after having misspelled what seemed like dozens of words. The very next question asked for the selective service - SSS - which I got and neither front row person did, so I took Nathan's rich spot, waited out one more question (I think), and that was it. I did not complete the final puzzle.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#28 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:48 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: Unimportant observation/question: Is that how you normally clap, using the heels of both palms? :)
I think it is how I clap when it is a matter of making a visual rather than making a sound.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#29 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:50 pm

earendel wrote:Great job, 'skoop. At first I wasn't sure what you were up to, but when you deliberately misspelled "Astaires" and "nests" I realized what was up. I noticed that after the word "rhetoric" came up you turned around and looked behind you - I'm curious to know why. Also I'm curious to know why you were judged correct for SSS - I know that's how it's "spelled", but I thought you had to say the right answer AND spell it.

And how can you have knees older than you are?
I will check the recording for why I turned around. Might've said something funny to Jimmy or he might've said something funny.

It doesn't matter what you say as long as you spell it properly. Like in My Fair Lady - the French don't care what they DO, exactly, as long as they pronounce it properly. Except here it is spelling not pronunciation.

I really quit football because my back hurt. But the knees line is funnier.
--------

thguy65

#30 Post by thguy65 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:50 am

Hope to see even more BBs in the future.
Spoiler
Congrats on conquering the mountain by using the vagaries of the rules to your advantage! Enjoy the dough!
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

Ritterskoop

#31 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:10 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
I will check the recording for why I turned around. Might've said something funny to Jimmy or he might've said something funny.
I had begun my campaign then, and was asking Jimmy where the back row was, why none of them had rung in to bump me. But I would never have gotten that clue because rhetoric doesn't mean something empty to me.

I just watched the show again, and was pleased at several moments. I liked that I patted Jimmy's back as he passed when he was first bumped. I thought I had skipped to the back row when Beth bumped me, but it was only a little hop at the end. I am a little embarrassed at my overexuberance at the end when they are saying what the prizes would be, but that's just playing for TV.
--------

peacock2121

#32 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:03 am

I am officially stoopid. I never got it was strategy. I was just so sad at the train wreck I was watching.

You are da man, skoop!

You are my idol.

You know how to play to win.

I want to always, always, always be on your team.

earendel

#33 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:08 am

I don't think there's a need to use spoilers any longer.
Ritterskoop wrote:
Spoiler
I started on the front row with Jimmy. At the end of the first round he had about $450 and I had about -$450. On came the spoilers, and after a bit the strongest one, Nathan, bumped Jimmy, who had maybe $1250. At some point Jimmy bumped him back but at the crucial moment Nathan and I held the front row. He was over $8000, having played well. I'd begun deliberately misspelling things, hoping a spoiler would have to bump me, which did happen. Beth was not pleased she had to take my spot, but Nathan hadn't rung in. So I was FINALLY on the back row, after having misspelled what seemed like dozens of words. The very next question asked for the selective service - SSS - which I got and neither front row person did, so I took Nathan's rich spot, waited out one more question (I think), and that was it. I did not complete the final puzzle.
That was a good piece of strategy and when I figured it out I mentioned it to elwing. She agreed but added that it was a risky one because you couldn't be sure that you'd be able to pull it off.

As to the final puzzle, there were a couple of toughies there, but I thought you'd get "rabbit ears". Still, it's easy to say that when not under the gun, so to speak.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Ritterskoop

#34 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:52 am

earendel wrote:I don't think there's a need to use spoilers any longer.

As to the final puzzle, there were a couple of toughies there, but I thought you'd get "rabbit ears". Still, it's easy to say that when not under the gun, so to speak.
The rabbitears clue included the word adjunct, which I associate with adjunct professors. So I was thinking about commentators, critics, anchorpeople, like that.

A game with a lot of movement of spoilers doesn't get as many clues solved for the final player.
--------

earendel

#35 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 am

Ritterskoop wrote:The rabbitears clue included the word adjunct, which I associate with adjunct professors. So I was thinking about commentators, critics, anchorpeople, like that.

A game with a lot of movement of spoilers doesn't get as many clues solved for the final player.
Good point about that last - I didn't realize that multiple shifts of spoilers would reduce the number of words in the puzzle at the end.

tlynn78

#36 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:05 am

Very cool, Skoop, I'm proud to know you! Did you have fun?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Ritterskoop

#37 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 am

tlynn78 wrote:Very cool, Skoop, I'm proud to know you! Did you have fun?

t.
Yep. I was the fourth show of the day, and we played lots of games in the green room, and by the time lunch arrived, Jimmy and I were yelling religious questions across the tables (we were seated too far apart). He's Episcopal, and I'm heathen. He asked did I know what the virgin birth was, and I said I'd read that last summer in Catholicism for Dummies - it's about Mary's conception, not Jesus'! I described to him my childhood church's communion and footwashing services, which we did once a quarter, so it was more special than if you do it every week. Kneeling to wash someone else's feet was always more meaningful to me than the symbols of blood and bread. He ate it up, and I liked his stories about being in the church closets.

After lunch we talked a lot of politics, which we all did without raising our voices or repeating our points because we had no other arguments.....and he said wistfully it was nice to talk to smart people. Kevin (the spoiler we didn't hear much from) was very involved in this, and also one of the APs.

Lunch was awesome, too.
--------

tlynn78

#38 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Yep.

The most important thing! Wonderful! I love how you don't just have experiences, you embrace them.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

earendel

#39 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Yep. I was the fourth show of the day, and we played lots of games in the green room, and by the time lunch arrived, Jimmy and I were yelling religious questions across the tables (we were seated too far apart). He's Episcopal, and I'm heathen. He asked did I know what the virgin birth was, and I said I'd read that last summer in Catholicism for Dummies - it's about Mary's conception, not Jesus'! I described to him my childhood church's communion and footwashing services, which we did once a quarter, so it was more special than if you do it every week. Kneeling to wash someone else's feet was always more meaningful to me than the symbols of blood and bread. He ate it up, and I liked his stories about being in the church closets.
Far be it from me to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but "virgin birth" refers to Jesus' conception and birth. "Immaculate conception" refers to Mary.

Ritterskoop

#40 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:39 pm

earendel wrote:
Far be it from me to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but "virgin birth" refers to Jesus' conception and birth. "Immaculate conception" refers to Mary.
Yeah, right. That's what I meant.

I didn't grow up with any of those ideas so they are all foreign language to me.
--------

imperpay

Yay Skoop!

#41 Post by imperpay » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:03 am

I've been yelling at my TV for
three months for somebody to
figure out that when it's late in
the game and the score is lop-
sided, the winning strategy for
the trailer is to miss on purpose
and get to spoiler's row. Well
played, Skoop, well played.

-Imp