Ethernet appears to be dead on my iMac

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Ethernet appears to be dead on my iMac

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:48 pm

One of the very few drawbacks of the iMac is that the ethernet port is hardwired to the logic board. You can't just go buy a $30 ethernet card and swap it out. I could take the computer in and have the entire logic board replaced, but that's not much cheaper than buying a new computer.

So, I think I'm finally going to break down and jump on the Airport wagon. Airport, for those who don't know, is Apple's wireless network system.

$99 versus several hundred for the repair.

Makes sense to me.

It would be even more worth it if the iMacs we bought for the calvinatorettes were Airport-compatible, but they are too old (the computers, not the calvinatorettes).
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

BackInTex

Re: Ethernet appears to be dead on my iMac

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:56 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:One of the very few drawbacks of the iMac is that the ethernet port is hardwired to the logic board. You can't just go buy a $30 ethernet card and swap it out. I could take the computer in and have the entire logic board replaced, but that's not much cheaper than buying a new computer.

So, I think I'm finally going to break down and jump on the Airport wagon. Airport, for those who don't know, is Apple's wireless network system.

$99 versus several hundred for the repair.

Makes sense to me.

It would be even more worth it if the iMacs we bought for the calvinatorettes were Airport-compatible, but they are too old (the computers, not the calvinatorettes).
FWIW, my Gateway I bought at Christmas has the 10/100 port hard wired to a multi use circuit board, not a card. The port went out, as far as I can tell, so I was able to buy a card and use an available slot.

I really hate integrated stuff. I prefer everthing to be modular so when one thing goes out, you only have to remove and replace that one thing.

One reason why I'd never buy a Mac.

I especially hate the custom fit integrated radios put in cars these days. You use to be able to go to any store and upgrade to whatever you wanted. My indash radio has gone out twice on my truck and the AM reception has alway stunk. But it is custom integrated, can't even use the next year's model which looks very similar but not quite the same.

TheCalvinator24

#3 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Got my Airport Express base station.

$99

Internet was back up and working within about 30 seconds.

WooooHooooo!!!!!!!
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

TheCalvinator24

#4 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:36 pm

Why can't I change the size of the font?