December QOD

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

December QOD

#1 Post by fantine33 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:11 am

Since nobody has stepped up or given any reasons why not (and somebody might've given a yippee once or twice), I guess I'm ramrodding this thing.

So, here are my thoughts, together with my idea to make both camps, if not happy, at least given options.

QOD would mean both Quiz of the Day AND Question of the Day.

First would be the quiz, five warm-up questions worth 10 points each. There would be no penalty for an incorrect answer.

Then the question. The points on the QuestionOD would be double or nothing of how many points you got of the QuizOD. You can choose to answer it, or just keep your quiz points. Occasionally there will be a follow up bonus question, which can be answered whether or not you answered the QOD (although if you know the bonus, you probably know the main one as well). Those are pure bonus points and have no relation to the double or nothing and no penalty for missing it.

Now, here's the option I was considering:

For people who only want to play the Question of the Day, it would just be worth a straight 10 points (along with any bonus question that might be with it). I'd keep two rankings, one for people playing the whole schmear and another for those strictly playing the QOD. So, if you are a purist, you'd have to stick to just the Question. That would make two winners, I guess they'd be like the Valedictorian and the Salutarian (I didn't finish school, so I'm not sure those designations are the correct analogy, but you know what I mean).

Couple problems: Although it's almost 1/4 of the respondents, the actual number just wanting a question wasn't that big. Assuming that a majority of those play, that could be only 4 people in that standings category.

My other concern was that if you didn't get any of the warm ups right (maybe that just wasn't your category), you wouldn't get anything for answering the Question. So I was thinking that if you had no points or just wanted to answer the Question that day, it would be a straight 10 points. That way, the question only people wouldn't be locked into not being able to answer the quiz if they wanted to and there would just be one standings list. Although people answering only the question each day might be at a disadvantage points wise, it's not about winning, right? Right?

Thoughts?

fantine33

#2 Post by fantine33 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:21 pm

I was hoping to get some feedback on this so I could have some stuff in the can and ready to go on Saturday.

But if nobody really cares enough to even say they don't care enough to offer a two-bit opinion, then I won't bother with a big production and will scrap all the fancy schmancy and just do a question a day.

I'm not being a whiny beyotch, I just don't want to expend more energy than interest dictates if it's no skin off anybody's ass either way. When in doubt, always give your minimum. Ha!

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Fanny, you whiny beyotch, I just saw this. I am intrigued by the double or nothing, pre quiz format. I think if you don't have any points going into the double or nothing question, then that's just your tough luck that day. I think since I am the only one who answered, it should be the way I want, which is the way you laid it out.

Was that any where near clear?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Appa23

#4 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Here's my opinion, FWIW.

It's yoru QOD. Do whatever you want to do. If people don't like that it is several questions or only one question, they don't have to play.

To quote Mr. Nike: "JUST DO IT!"

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: December QOD

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:46 pm

fantine33 wrote:Since nobody has stepped up or given any reasons why not (and somebody might've given a yippee once or twice), I guess I'm ramrodding this thing.

So, here are my thoughts, together with my idea to make both camps, if not happy, at least given options.

QOD would mean both Quiz of the Day AND Question of the Day.

First would be the quiz, five warm-up questions worth 10 points each. There would be no penalty for an incorrect answer.

Then the question. The points on the QuestionOD would be double or nothing of how many points you got of the QuizOD. You can choose to answer it, or just keep your quiz points. Occasionally there will be a follow up bonus question, which can be answered whether or not you answered the QOD (although if you know the bonus, you probably know the main one as well). Those are pure bonus points and have no relation to the double or nothing and no penalty for missing it.

Now, here's the option I was considering:

For people who only want to play the Question of the Day, it would just be worth a straight 10 points (along with any bonus question that might be with it). I'd keep two rankings, one for people playing the whole schmear and another for those strictly playing the QOD. So, if you are a purist, you'd have to stick to just the Question. That would make two winners, I guess they'd be like the Valedictorian and the Salutarian (I didn't finish school, so I'm not sure those designations are the correct analogy, but you know what I mean).

Couple problems: Although it's almost 1/4 of the respondents, the actual number just wanting a question wasn't that big. Assuming that a majority of those play, that could be only 4 people in that standings category.

My other concern was that if you didn't get any of the warm ups right (maybe that just wasn't your category), you wouldn't get anything for answering the Question. So I was thinking that if you had no points or just wanted to answer the Question that day, it would be a straight 10 points. That way, the question only people wouldn't be locked into not being able to answer the quiz if they wanted to and there would just be one standings list. Although people answering only the question each day might be at a disadvantage points wise, it's not about winning, right? Right?

Thoughts?
Some of us here on the Left Coast don't do mornings.

I like options, and I particularly like no penalty for wrong answers. I don't have time for research, so I typically play to test how much remains in my plenty-nine-year-old head. I think you'll get quite a bit of participation, even though few people are actually offering opinions. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:48 pm

Another whiny (and I finally know how to spell it) beyotch - how mirrorlike!

I like questions.

I like anything that annoys BobJuch or HoltDad or marley.

You can't annoy me with your format or anything with the game. You could annoy me by being tricky and picky and I would get used to that and look for the traps - all part of the game.

The format you suggested is great.

starfish1113

#7 Post by starfish1113 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:37 pm

I think I answered incorrectly on the poll question. I just want a QoD that I can count on being there (almost) every day. I don't care what the format is. That said, I will probably be unable to play for at least a week during the second week of December (the Mouse calls!). And, if the questions are too hard for me, I'll prolly just take my ball and go home!

a1mamacat

#8 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm

I like the option of either/or, or both.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:54 pm

starfish1113 wrote:I think I answered incorrectly on the poll question. I just want a QoD that I can count on being there (almost) every day. I don't care what the format is. That said, I will probably be unable to play for at least a week during the second week of December (the Mouse calls!). And, if the questions are too hard for me, I'll prolly just take my ball and go home!
You and me could make a merryman (I don't know - Peafish or Starcock) - not tell anyone (no one would figure it out)- make like we are a newbie - put our two half-brains together and maybe play okay.

I probably should not have said the plan out loud, huh?

DevilKitty100

#10 Post by DevilKitty100 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:57 pm

fantine33 wrote:I was hoping to get some feedback on this so I could have some stuff in the can and ready to go on Saturday.

But if nobody really cares enough to even say they don't care enough to offer a two-bit opinion, then I won't bother with a big production and will scrap all the fancy schmancy and just do a question a day.

I'm not being a whiny beyotch, I just don't want to expend more energy than interest dictates if it's no skin off anybody's ass either way. When in doubt, always give your minimum. Ha!
I will make an effort to play within whatever you format you throw out there. I like the thought and effort you've obviousyput into it. And I particularly like that you care what the participants think..........as opposed to being told "here's my game and you can eat shit or die if you don't like it." (Stuff like that bothers me.)

And besides, I see I've dropped from poster #100 back to #101 so I need to remedy that situation. A QoD will do nicely.

DevilKitty100

#11 Post by DevilKitty100 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:59 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
starfish1113 wrote:I think I answered incorrectly on the poll question. I just want a QoD that I can count on being there (almost) every day. I don't care what the format is. That said, I will probably be unable to play for at least a week during the second week of December (the Mouse calls!). And, if the questions are too hard for me, I'll prolly just take my ball and go home!
You and me could make a merryman (I don't know - Peafish or Starcock) - not tell anyone (no one would figure it out)- make like we are a newbie - put our two half-brains together and maybe play okay.

LOL........Starcock? As if........

starfish1113

#12 Post by starfish1113 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:00 pm

peacock2121 wrote: You and me could make a merryman (I don't know - Peafish or Starcock) - not tell anyone (no one would figure it out)- make like we are a newbie - put our two half-brains together and maybe play okay.

Geez, don't you know what the Messages feature is for!!! Imagine all of the accolades we could have attained had we been able to pull it off.

And, imagine the avatar we could have used had we decided upon Starcock!

DevilKitty100

#13 Post by DevilKitty100 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:00 pm

peacock2121 wrote:

LOL........Starcock? As if........

ShitSandwich
Merry Man

#14 Post by ShitSandwich » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:00 pm

DevilKitty100 wrote:And I particularly like that you care what the participants think..........as opposed to being told "here's my game and you can eat shit or die if you don't like it."

Be careful what you wish for!
Last edited by ShitSandwich on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Open wide!

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:01 pm

DevilKitty100 wrote:
fantine33 wrote:I was hoping to get some feedback on this so I could have some stuff in the can and ready to go on Saturday.

I will make an effort to play within whatever you format you throw out there. I like the thought and effort you've obviousyput into it. And I particularly like that you care what the participants think..........as opposed to being told "here's my game and you can eat shit or die if you don't like it." (Stuff like that bothers me.)

And besides, I see I've dropped from poster #100 back to #101 so I need to remedy that situation. A QoD will do nicely.
Oh - I also like it when DevilKitty gets a big in her bonnet and goes after someone.

That is real entertainment.

Oh - It's Fanny's game - here it is - you eat shit or die if you don't like it.

;-)

The winkie thing was for you know who.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#16 Post by Rexer25 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
DevilKitty100 wrote:

Oh - I also like it when DevilKitty gets a big in her bonnet and goes after someone.

;-)

Isn't that supposed to be a bee in her bonnet?

NTTAWWT
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

DevilKitty100

#17 Post by DevilKitty100 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
DevilKitty100 wrote: I will make an effort to play within whatever you format you throw out there. I like the thought and effort you've obviousyput into it. And I particularly like that you care what the participants think..........as opposed to being told "here's my game and you can eat shit or die if you don't like it." (Stuff like that bothers me.)

;-)

Isn't that supposed to be a bee in her bonnet?

NTTAWWT
Dang. Rexer, I was kind of liking letting my imagination run with that one.

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:26 pm

well crap

It was a bug up her butt, then a bee in her bonnet and I didn't quite get it right.

At least the thought got over the fence.

fantine33

#19 Post by fantine33 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Want to know how to get responses to a post? Be a whiny beyotch and leave and go to Walmart. The rest will take care of itself. Ha!

Bob (I used to call you Daisy, but I can't for the life of me remember why), you'll be happy to know that this is Use What's Already in Your Head Month. And, ha! on the plenty-nine thing, I'm going to borrow that.

Peacock, the only time an answer will be (intentionally) tricky is if the category is Run-DMC. But I'll do my best to annoy the Unholy Three if the opportunity presents itself.

Devil Kitty, you can eat shit and die if you want to and it's all right with me.

Kitty Sandwich fixed my wanting to be able to selectively turn off avatars, btw.

Dammit, Spunky, if you answered the poll wrong then you're banned from the QOD. Only people who are always right 100% of the time and have never made a mistake in their life are allowed to play. Oh, forget it, how could I ban you? I might even give you 1 Spunky Point for each day that you're on holiday. (I'm assuming that the mouse thing means you're going to Disneyland and not that you're going to be in a motel while your house is occupied with the exterminators doing their job.)

Also, if you REALLY REALLY wanted to play and you check your email each day, it's okay with me if you get the questions by email and have Starcock post them for you.

Since it seems that most everybody likes having options, then options it will be! I don't think the having no points to answer the QOD with will be an issue, because I really do think that at least one question will be answerable. I'm trying to not have more than one "Damn, bitch!" question a day.

Also there will just be one standings group. Anybody who just wants to answer the QOD (and/or bonuses) can do so on any day, but I doubt that people will be able to contain themselves and just answer the one QOD every day if they know answers to the other ones. Ha!

peacock2121

#20 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:07 pm

tee hee

The Unholy Three

tee hee

christie1111
11:11

#21 Post by christie1111 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:11 pm

Sorry for not answering. I was actually working. Yeah, I know, what kind of excuse is that!

I was thinking "your ball, your rules". I'll live with them.

And I can't wait!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#22 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:20 pm

fantine33 wrote: I'm trying to not have more than one "Damn, bitch!" question a day.
Please don't say that like being a bitch is a bad thing!

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.