top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:37 am

I love the Christmas season but it can really wear one down. Last evening at church we had dinner, a brief discussion about a matter of business, a Bible study (for which I am the "color commentator" while the pastor leads the study), then extended choir practice - we're singing Benjamin Britten's "Ceremony of Carols" accompanied only by a harp and elements of Joseph Martin's "Winter Rose" all in the space of about two weeks so we're spending extra time on them. That was followed by a rehearsal for an ensemble group that will provide some of the entertainment for our Christmas banquet. So I didn't get home until after 10PM and then had to stay up to do the transcripts for yesterday's show, as well as watch 'skoop's appearance on "Merv Griffin's Crosswords".

Then on Saturday elwing and I will be helping set up the decorations around the church in preparation for the Hanging of the Green service Sunday evening, and on Sunday there will be the regular Bible study and worship service, followed by rehearsals, followed by more rehearsals (choir, handbells, readers) and then the actual service. WHEW!!!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:55 am

Gotta get the chance to enjoy the season at my end. Second of two consecutive audits today, and sneezing up a storm. Just a head cold, apparently, but annoying. We did find a good local tree farm, though, and will be getting ours this weekend. The mantel and table displays are already up, thanks to BD.

Need to check on the Hanukah candle status. We always manage to miss a day or two, so we never quite have an empty box at the end. Not sure how many are left over from previous years. Must count to see if we need to go get a new box.

gs, the Jewish elf
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:23 am

We have avoided most of the chaos this year. For the first time in maybe 5 years, my wife and I are not acting in a Christmas production anywhere in town. (Although, I still am doing small Christmas dramas at our church during Advent.)

PP has her Christmas dance recital this Sunday. Two back-to-back shows. (She is excited because an older boy lifts her up in one dance. The kid was terrified of dropping her until he saw the way that I toss her around and her squeals of delight.)

I admire your musical abilities, Ear.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 am

gsabc wrote:Gotta get the chance to enjoy the season at my end. Second of two consecutive audits today, and sneezing up a storm. Just a head cold, apparently, but annoying. We did find a good local tree farm, though, and will be getting ours this weekend. The mantel and table displays are already up, thanks to BD.

Need to check on the Hanukah candle status. We always manage to miss a day or two, so we never quite have an empty box at the end. Not sure how many are left over from previous years. Must count to see if we need to go get a new box.

gs, the Jewish elf
When the girls were younger, we had the same issue, but now they make sure that we do Hanukkah every night, probably so they can open up their gifts.

It's nice that Hanukkah is so early this year, I hate it when it's too close to Christmas.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 am

Appa23 wrote:I admire your musical abilities, Ear.
Just 'cause I'm in the choir and a handbell ringer doesn't mean that I have musical abilities. The choir is large enough that my barely-tone voice doesn't interfere with the beautiful music, and as far as handbells goes, it's more a matter of brute force learning rather than any feel for the music (I liken it to the old "chicken playing the piano" - the chicken doesn't know music but knows how to get the corn reward).

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:37 am

earendel wrote:I love the Christmas season but it can really wear one down.
I don't know why people kill themselves doing so much doing the holidays. I swear every year that I won't get bogged down and tired, but I always do. (Unlike most people who gain weight during the holidays, I usually lose weight.)

This year, I am making a concerted effort to not volunteer for as much or commit the family to going or doing too much.

On Thanksgiving, we ended up going to a movie and having a simple dinner with just the four of us. Jeff and I played games, the kids didn't fight and both of the kids said that it was the best Thanksgiving they had ever had. They were grateful that we didn't have to spend three hours in a car and four or five hours co-existing with younger cousins they have nothing in common with.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:01 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
earendel wrote:I love the Christmas season but it can really wear one down.
I don't know why people kill themselves doing so much doing the holidays. I swear every year that I won't get bogged down and tired, but I always do. (Unlike most people who gain weight during the holidays, I usually lose weight.)
It's a labor of love, and I've been doing it for so many years now that it would seem unnatural somehow not to be doing it. The same thing happens during the Lenten and Easter season; last year elwing and I were on a cruise during this time and I had moments when I was shaking my head in disbelief that I wasn't back home at church doing things. And all that activity does help take off some poundage.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:06 am

earendel wrote:It's a labor of love, and I've been doing it for so many years now that it would seem unnatural somehow not to be doing it. The same thing happens during the Lenten and Easter season; last year elwing and I were on a cruise during this time and I had moments when I was shaking my head in disbelief that I wasn't back home at church doing things. And all that activity does help take off some poundage.
I hope that you didn't feel guilty for spending quality time with your wife.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:11 am

earendel wrote:It's a labor of love, and I've been doing it for so many years now that it would seem unnatural somehow not to be doing it. The same thing happens during the Lenten and Easter season; last year elwing and I were on a cruise during this time and I had moments when I was shaking my head in disbelief that I wasn't back home at church doing things. And all that activity does help take off some poundage.
Guilty? Not at all. Just surprised somewhat not to be in my "usual" place.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:27 am

earendel wrote:
Guilty? Not at all. Just surprised somewhat not to be in my "usual" place.
Good for you. Maybe it's a girl thing, but I always feel guilty when I don't step up and volunteer for stuff.

My best friend and I made a pact not to get so involved volunteering at High School. So far I haven't been sucked into PTA, though I am helping out the Drama Boosters, the library and chaperoning Quiz Bowl.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:47 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Good for you. Maybe it's a girl thing, but I always feel guilty when I don't step up and volunteer for stuff.

My best friend and I made a pact not to get so involved volunteering at High School. So far I haven't been sucked into PTA, though I am helping out the Drama Boosters, the library and chaperoning Quiz Bowl.
There are times when I do feel guilty, but recently I've learned to deal with my limitations, so its easier to sit back and let someone else do it.