Transcript 02/16/09 Amy Heller

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/16/09 Amy Heller

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Amy Heller
New York, NY
Founded the W Girls NYC for underprivileged women and children

Guest host Cat Deeley

Topic Tree:

Two By Two
Famous Pets
Doubleheaders
That’s the Question
The Big Four-Oh
Celestial Bodies
Dorky Dads
Sweet!
Splish Splash
Mani-Pedi
Guest Stars
Journalism School
Foreign Cars
Video Games
Around the House

$100 When functioning properly, which of the following typically blows hot air?
A. Hair dryer
B. Garden hose
C. Food processor
D. Spouse
Spoiler
A. Hair dryer (4)
$200 Which of these video games is played with a controller shaped like a musical instrument?
A. Halo
B. Guitar Hero
C. Super Mario Bros.
D. Top Spin Tennis
Spoiler
B. Guitar Hero (4)
$300 Published in 2008, “Cars for Comrades” is a historical examination of automobiles made where?
A. Japan
B. Italy
C. Soviet Union
D. Sweden
Spoiler
C. Soviet Union (2)
$500 Journalists hoping to write well are often urged to remember the “Five Ws,” which include all of these “W” words except what?
A. When
B. Was
C. Why
D. Where
Spoiler
B. Was (7)
$1K Prehistoric celebrities ּּ including Gary Granite and AnnּMargrock ּּ often guest-starred on what classic animated TV series?
A. The Flintstones
B. G.I. Joe
C. The Ren & Stimpy Show
D. Scooby-Doo
Spoiler
A. The Flintstones (2)
commercial break

Cat introduces today’s ATE, A.J. Jacobs , author of “The Know-It-All.”

$2K Which of these OPI brand nail colors is not a shade of red or pink?
A. Tropical Punch
B. Pearls Night Out
C. Cajun Shrimp
D. Senorita Rose-alita
Spoiler
B. Pearls Night Out (14)
$4K At the 2008 Olympics, swimmer Michael Phelps made headlines when he broke a gold-medal record previously held by whom?
A. Matt Biondi
B. Mark Spitz
C. Ian Thorpe
D. Janet Evans
Spoiler
B. Mark Spitz (14)
$8K According to the Swiss chocolate company’s Web site, a Toblerone’s unique shape may be a nod to what famous mountain?
A. Matterhorn
B. Stromboli
C. Kilimanjaro
D. Everest

ATA (17)

61% A. Matterhorn
7% B. Stromboli
11% C. Kilimanjaro
21% D. Everest

Spoiler
A. Matterhorn (12)
commercial break

$16K What former teen idol plays a dorky father in the 2008 comedy “College Road Trip”?
A. Shaun Cassidy
B. Scott Baio
C. Donny Osmond
D. Rick Springfield

ATE (13)

A.J. guesses Donny Osmond. He says he’s about 42% sure.

Amy: 42%?
A.J.: Yeah. I just made that up.[/I]
Spoiler
C. Donny Osmond (5)
$25K How many planets in our solar system are named after female mythological figures and not male ones?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
Spoiler
A. 1 (7)
commercial break

$50K Of the following poets, who is the only one who lived to see his fortieth birthday?
A. John Keats
B. Percy Bysshe Shelley
C. Edgar Allan Poe
D. Lord Byron

PAF (27)

Amy’s PAF team:

Melanie from Atlanta, GA – best friend
Peter from New York, NY – a friend
David from Brooklyn, NY – a friend

PAF – Melanie

Melanie: It was Edgar Allan Poe, I believe Amy.
Amy: How sure?
Melanie: I’m sure.

Spoiler
C. Edgar Allan Poe ( 18 )
horn

Amy will return tomorrow.

Answers:
$100 A. Hair dryer
$200 B. Guitar Hero
$300 C. Soviet Union
$500 B. Was
$1K A. The Flintstones
$2K B. Pearls Night Out
$4K B. Mark Spitz
$8K A. Matterhorn
$16K C. Donny Osmond
$25K A. 1
$50K C. Edgar Allan Poe

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 02/16/09 Amy Heller

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:25 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$25K How many planets in out solar system are named after female mythological figures and not male ones?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
Spoiler
A. 1 (7)
Hmmm.

Yes, there's Venus, but what about Earth/Gaia/Terra?

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#3 Post by sunflower » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 pm

That's at least 2 OPI nail polish questions in the past year...maybe they should move to another brand now, it would be sad to add that to the study list. Presidents, check...nobel prize winners, check...OPI nail polish colors... :shock:

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 am

soft

balls

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:52 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Amy Heller
New York, NY
WE®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Guest host Cat Deeley
Meh.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Two By Two
Famous Pets
Doubleheaders
That’s the Question
The Big Four-Oh
Celestial Bodies
Dorky Dads
Sweet!
Splish Splash
Mani-Pedi
Guest Stars
Journalism School
Foreign Cars
Video Games
Around the House
Looks good.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Cat introduces today’s ATE, A.J. Jacobs , author of “The Know-It-All.”
Him again? *sigh*
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K At the 2008 Olympics, swimmer Michael Phelps made headlines when he broke a gold-medal record previously held by whom?
A. Matt Biondi
B. Mark Spitz
C. Ian Thorpe
D. Janet Evans
E. Snoop Dogg... most bong hits, biggest bong hit, most bong hits underwater, biggest bong hit underwater...

$16K: Never saw this movie. Ask the audience.

I'm going for $100K with three lifelines.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:08 am

ATA at $16K. If I get more than one recent pop culture question when I'm there, I'm dead meat.

$25K is a bit nasty with TDC running, a lot easier without it. I would have used much time double-checking my correct answer.

$50K - probably Double Dip on this. Could narrow it down to Keats and Poe, but was leaning more toward Keats. Maybe PAF with literature in their BOK. Certainly not what I expected for the category of "The Big Four-Oh".
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:13 am

Doesn't anyone agree with me that Mother Earth/Terra Mater is a female mythological figure?

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:13 am

New York, NY
Oddly enough they never did explain what the charity did.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Guest host Cat Deeley
She did a pretty good job, IMO, although the pace of the game seemed somewhat slower (more about this later).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 When functioning properly, which of the following typically blows hot air?
A. Hair dryer
B. Garden hose
C. Food processor
D. Spouse
Spoiler
A. Hair dryer (4)
This was the first question and I thought Amy might time out because she took time with the answer and then didn't say "final" until prompted.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K Prehistoric celebrities ּּ including Gary Granite and AnnּMargrock ּּ often guest-starred on what classic animated TV series?
A. The Flintstones
B. G.I. Joe
C. The Ren & Stimpy Show
D. Scooby-Doo
Spoiler
A. The Flintstones (2)
This really got to be somewhat nerve-wracking, Amy letting the clock wind down. Cat's way of maintaining suspense was certainly different than Meredith's (and more in line with the British version, I've heard). It was a bit disingenuous of Cat to claim that she couldn't keep the suspense. She did it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Cat introduces today’s ATE, A.J. Jacobs , author of “The Know-It-All.”
Oh, boy, AJ gets another chance to show off his mediocrity.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K According to the Swiss chocolate company’s Web site, a Toblerone’s unique shape may be a nod to what famous mountain?
A. Matterhorn
B. Stromboli
C. Kilimanjaro
D. Everest

ATA (17)

61% A. Matterhorn
7% B. Stromboli
11% C. Kilimanjaro
21% D. Everest

Spoiler
A. Matterhorn (12)
Even without knowing the shape of Toblerone, the "Swiss chocolate company" should give the answer away.

commercial break
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K What former teen idol plays a dorky father in the 2008 comedy “College Road Trip”?
A. Shaun Cassidy
B. Scott Baio
C. Donny Osmond
D. Rick Springfield

ATE (13)

A.J. guesses Donny Osmond. He says he’s about 42% sure.

Amy: 42%?
A.J.: Yeah. I just made that up.[/I]
Spoiler
C. Donny Osmond (5)
No idea, and I really wouldn't expect the "expert" to know this, either. Let's ATA and hope for the best.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Of the following poets, who is the only one who lived to see his fortieth birthday?
A. John Keats
B. Percy Bysshe Shelley
C. Edgar Allan Poe
D. Lord Byron

PAF (27)

Amy’s PAF team:

Melanie from Atlanta, GA – best friend
Peter from New York, NY – a friend
David from Brooklyn, NY – a friend

PAF – Melanie

Melanie: It was Edgar Allan Poe, I believe Amy.
Amy: How sure?
Melanie: I’m sure.

Spoiler
C. Edgar Allan Poe ( 18 )
This is a toughie. All of them died fairly young. I might have gone with Poe, but not without some lifeline reassurance. Let's go with the expert.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Doesn't anyone agree with me that Mother Earth/Terra Mater is a female mythological figure?
Yes, but the planet isn't named for any of these figures; on the contrary, "Mother Earth" is a personfication of the planet (like "Father Time"). Gaia is a female figure but again not the source of the planetary name.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:19 am

earendel wrote:
New York, NY
Oddly enough they never did explain what the charity did.
They've got a website.

I believe Amy said, "Whatever I win--a portion of the proceeds" will go to this charity. Whenever this hook is used, I'm always interested what portion that might be, specifically. (I've tried working this angle at my recent auditions, to no effect whatsoever.)

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Doesn't anyone agree with me that Mother Earth/Terra Mater is a female mythological figure?
Yes, but the planet isn't named for any of these figures; on the contrary, "Mother Earth" is a personfication of the planet (like "Father Time"). Gaia is a female figure but again not the source of the planetary name.
The name "Earth" has an Anglo-Saxon derivation, but the question didn't restrict itself to asking for planets with Latin names. And the mythological connection is there.

My instant response was "Venus = one planet", but the 30 seconds of TDC were long enough for me to have serious doubts about whether the question writers were thinking about Earth, while being rather insufficient to present a detailed challenge to the question, had I been in the Hot Seat.

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 am

No.

We're named after dirt.

Or clods.

Both male attributes.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

lv42day

#13 Post by lv42day » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 am

I would have double dipped on the planet question, between 1 and 2, thinking the same way Marley did. Assuming, I still had the double dip after that killer pop culture question, at least a killer question for me. Erda (earth), I am told, is the mother of Thor, a mythological god.

TheConfessor

#14 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 pm

I wondered the same thing when I saw the question, but I don't think there's a strong case for Earth being named for a mythological figure. There may be some languages other than English in which name of the planet is something other than "Earth," but I haven't really investigated that angle.

EugeneF

#15 Post by EugeneF » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 am

If MarleysGhost cares or even remembers, I agree with him. Earth is named for a goddess. The pagan Germans assigned the care of this world to Erda. Allow for Angle-Saxon pronunciation, and the goddess is called Earth.

You can also take Richard Wagner's word (or libretto) on this. Erda has a singing role in "The Ring Cycle."

Eugene

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 am

EugeneF wrote:If MarleysGhost cares or even remembers, I agree with him. Earth is named for a goddess. The pagan Germans assigned the care of this world to Erda. Allow for Angle-Saxon pronunciation, and the goddess is called Earth.

You can also take Richard Wagner's word (or libretto) on this. Erda has a singing role in "The Ring Cycle."

Eugene
Of course, I care, Eugene! And welcome to the Bored! :)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#17 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
EugeneF wrote:If MarleysGhost cares or even remembers, I agree with him. Earth is named for a goddess. The pagan Germans assigned the care of this world to Erda. Allow for Angle-Saxon pronunciation, and the goddess is called Earth.

Eugene
I second the welcome. Are you trying to get on Millionaire, Eugene?
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

EugeneF

#18 Post by EugeneF » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:35 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Eugene
I would be happy just to be a phone-a-friend. (Perhaps I should start praying to Erda.)

Speaking of unemployed deities, one was mentioned on the History Channel the other day. On a program called "Underground Cities", the host joking attributed a 12th century earthquake in Asia Minor to the God Poseidon. By the 12th century, Poseidon definitely was employed; he and the rest of Olympus had been supplanted by a migrant deity who had a better character and was willing to work longer hours. (He had a Virgin Mother to support.)

Eugene

clem21
Nose Exploder

#19 Post by clem21 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:35 pm

EugeneF wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Of course, I care, Eugene! And welcome to the Bored! :)
I would be happy just to be a phone-a-friend. (Perhaps I should start praying to Erda.)

Speaking of unemployed deities, one was mentioned on the History Channel the other day. On a program called "Underground Cities", the host joking attributed a 12th century earthquake in Asia Minor to the God Poseidon. By the 12th century, Poseidon definitely was employed; he and the rest of Olympus had been supplanted by a migrant deity who had a better character and was willing to work longer hours. (He had a Virgin Mother to support.)

Eugene
Eugene, meet BobJ
BobJ, meet Eugene

Methinks you may have some stuff in common...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:58 pm

clem21 wrote:
EugeneF wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote: I second the welcome. Are you trying to get on Millionaire, Eugene?

Eugene
Eugene, meet BobJ
BobJ, meet Eugene

I believe Eugene comes to us from the J! board. I knew his screen name sounded familiar! 8)

trevor_macfee

#21 Post by trevor_macfee » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 pm

clem21 wrote:
EugeneF wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote: I second the welcome. Are you trying to get on Millionaire, Eugene?

Eugene
Eugene, meet BobJ
BobJ, meet Eugene

No no no no.

Having read Bob's stuff here and Eugene's stuff on the J! Board for a quite a while now, there is a world of difference between the two.

You know Bob since you've been here a while so no need to describe his style.

Eugene knows a LOT of stuff - he did quite well not just on J! but in his Tournament of Champions, and later on Super Jeopardy and finally the Ultimate Tournament of Champions. But, Eugene is also (IMHO) quite funny and does not come across as trying to impress with his knowledge (i.e. I don't think he comes across as a know-it-all type of person). His blog is called "Your Daily RNA of Irony" which should give you some idea of his attitude.

You should go to the J! board and read the thread "Retaken Down" to get an idea of Eugene's wit and wisdom.

I know Eugene doesn't need me to explain all this (and probably doesn't "know" me from Adam since I don't post a whole lot over there either), but I thought I'd chime in for what it's worth.

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm

trevor_macfee wrote:
clem21 wrote:
EugeneF wrote: I would be happy just to be a phone-a-friend. (Perhaps I should start praying to Erda.)

Eugene
Eugene, meet BobJ
BobJ, meet Eugene

No no no no.

Having read Bob's stuff here and Eugene's stuff on the J! Board for a quite a while now, there is a world of difference between the two.

Eugene knows a LOT of stuff - he did quite well not just on J! but in his Tournament of Champions, and later on Super Jeopardy and finally the Ultimate Tournament of Champions. But, Eugene is also (IMHO) quite funny and does not come across as trying to impress with his knowledge (i.e. I don't think he comes across as a know-it-all type of person). His blog is called "Your Daily RNA of Irony" which should give you some idea of his attitude.

You should go to the J! board and read the thread "Retaken Down" to get an idea of Eugene's wit and wisdom.

I know Eugene doesn't need me to explain all this (and probably doesn't "know" me from Adam since I don't post a whole lot over there either), but I thought I'd chime in for what it's worth.
um

What's this say about how you read Bob?

trevor_macfee

#23 Post by trevor_macfee » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:39 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
trevor_macfee wrote:
clem21 wrote: Eugene, meet BobJ
BobJ, meet Eugene

No no no no.

um

I'm responding to the way I perceive Clem reads Bob.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#24 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:45 pm

trevor_macfee wrote:
That was smooth, Trevor!

I would agree with your basic premise, though. From reading Eugene's posts "over there," I would compare him more closely with Wintergreen (although Wintergreen has a romantic streak that nobody else equals.)

BTW, welcome to the Bored, Eugene!
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

peacock2121

#25 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:47 pm

trevor_macfee wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
trevor_macfee wrote: No no no no.

um

Nevermind - I just got we are talking about BobJuch, not Bob##.

I have it all straight in my head now.