Transcript 02/17/2009 Nick Santillo

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 02/17/2009 Nick Santillo

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Deal or No Deal - I mean WWTBAM Transcript 2/17/09
Nick Santillo
Elizabeth, NJ
Was a Merchant Marine, now with the Army Reserves
Says after his Merchant Marine days it was rough and he was homeless for a while
His girlfriend Millie is in the audience

Guest host Cat Deeley

Cat introduces today’s expert, A.J. Jacobs, author of “The Know-It-All.”

Topic Tree
Hello, Dolly!
High Cool
Measure for Measure
Surreal Paintings
Italy
National News
Hancock
Fables
2008 Blockbusters
Lookin' Good!
Swollen Glands
Modern Convenience
Idioms
Clever Rhymes
Cover Girls

$100 (Cover Girls):
Appropriately, Oprah Winfrey wears glasses on the July 2008 cover of her magazine, which is devoted in part to what theme?
A. Exercise B. Reading
C. Interior design D. Taking over the universe
Spoiler
B. Reading (:05)

$200 (Clever Rhymes):
"All the rest have thirty-one" is a line from a popular rhyme used to remember the number of days in a what?
A. Week B. Month
C. Year D. Decade
Spoiler
B. Month [:08]

$300 (Idioms):
According to a common idiom, friends who share an extremely close relationship are said to be "as thick as" what?
A. Thieves B. Arsonists
C. Jaywalkers D. Vandals
Spoiler
A. Thieves (:05)

$500 (Modern Convenience):
First used in 1960, the Bankograph was a forerunner of what modern device?
A. Cell phone D. DVD player
C. ATM machine D. Camcorder
Spoiler
C. ATM machine (:04)

$1000 (Swollen Glands):
The disease epidemic parotitis, which is characterized by swollen glands in the face, is more commonly known as what?
A. Measles B. Chicken Pox
C. Whooping Cough D. Mumps
Spoiler
D. Mumps (:03)
Commercial break

Nick shows Cat the proper Army salute.

When Cat is ready to begin, Nick asks to pause for a moment, then proposes to his girlfriend Millie in front of the audience.
She accepts, they kiss and he gives her the ring.

$2000 (Lookin' Good!):
Due to its unique appearance, what hairstyle is often jokingly described as "business in the front, party in the back"?
A. Beehive B. Mullet
C. Mohawk D. Afro
Spoiler
B. Mullet (:22)

$4000 (2008 Blockbusters):
In the 2008 movie "Iron Man," which of the following is one of Iron Man's superpowers?
A. Flight B. Weather manipulation
C. Invisibility D. Time travel
Spoiler
A. Flight (:22)

Commercial Break

Cat says "What a show we have had so far" and "It does not even feel like a quiz show"

$8000 (Fables):
In Roman legend, who was famous for befriending a lion by pulling a thorn from its paw?
A. Remus B. Philemon
C. Castor D. Androcles

ATA :20
ATA
A-26% B-10% C-13% D-51%
Spoiler
D. Androcles (:14)

$16K (Hancock):
Surprise winner of the Grammy for Album of the Year in 2008, Herbie Hancock is famous for playing the what?
A. Saxophone B. Piano
C. Trumpet D. Guitar

Expert (:20)
ATE
AJ thinks he remembers him from the early MTV days. AJ is 75% sure it is piano.
Spoiler
B. Piano (:15)

Nick will return tomorrow with PAF and Double-Dip available.

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 02/17/2009 Nick Santillo

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:51 pm

$4K-ATA. Recent movie-they would know this one. I didn't see it.

$16K-either Double Dip or ATE.
I'm just a game show nerd.

Kazoo65

#3 Post by Kazoo65 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:52 pm

$4K-I didn't see the movie. ATA.

$16K-either Double Dip or ATE. I thought this question would be about John Hancock-I was surprised when it wsn't.
I'm just a game show nerd.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 pm

$2K question is on my cellphone WWTBAM game. No problems to the $16K. With TDC, I probably use ATA here. From my computer desk, I have time to think and remember the right answer.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

heelsrule1988

#5 Post by heelsrule1988 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

I like Cat's personality and her looks (who wouldn't), but she kills a lot of time. To prove that, we've only had two contestants in two shows so far this week, and this one hasn't even finished his game yet.

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 am

I thought Cat was incredibly lame to think that a proper military salute is done with the left hand. Was she just intentionally playing dumb? What was that about? Maybe driving on the left would result in saluting on the left?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000 (2008 Blockbusters):
In the 2008 movie "Iron Man," which of the following is one of Iron Man's superpowers?
Spoiler
I didn't see the movie, but the previews were everywhere. Didn't he build a suit which flies? I thought he had no superpowers, like Batman.

NellyLunatic1980

#8 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:08 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Nick Santillo
Elizabeth, NJ
WE®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Hello, Dolly!
High Cool
Measure for Measure
Surreal Paintings
Italy
National News
Hancock
Fables
2008 Blockbusters
Lookin' Good!
Swollen Glands
Modern Convenience
Idioms
Clever Rhymes
Cover Girls
Looks good up until the Paintings question. (Not often a good subject for me.)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Modern Convenience):
<grumble>®.... I can't stand that phrase "ATM machine". Needlessly redundant.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:When Cat is ready to begin, Nick asks to pause for a moment, then proposes to his girlfriend Millie in front of the audience.
I'm surprised that in the nearly 10 years of WWTBAM, Nick is possibly the first contestant to propose marriage on air.

$4K: I did not see this movie. Ask the audience.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Deal or No Deal - I mean WWTBAM Transcript 2/17/09
Nick Santillo
Elizabeth, NJ
Says after his Merchant Marine days it was rough and he was homeless for a while
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Modern Convenience):
Spoiler
C. ATM machine (:04)
Calling the Department of Redundency Department...
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:When Cat is ready to begin, Nick asks to pause for a moment, then proposes to his girlfriend Millie in front of the audience. She accepts, they kiss and he gives her the ring.
Oh, puh-leeze!!! Can anyone imagine J! stopping the game and letting one of the contestants propose from the stage? This might just be episode that puts BAM in the "jumped the shark" category.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Cat says "What a show we have had so far" and "It does not even feel like a quiz show"
No, it doesn't. :cry: :cry:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K (Hancock):
Surprise winner of the Grammy for Album of the Year in 2008, Herbie Hancock is famous for playing the what?
A. Saxophone B. Piano
C. Trumpet D. Guitar

ATE
Spoiler
B. Piano (:15)

Not sure on this one. Might as well ATA and see what we get.
Last edited by earendel on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:26 am

Estonut wrote:
Spoiler
I didn't see the movie, but the previews were everywhere. Didn't he build a suit which flies? I thought he had no superpowers, like Batman.
You're correct - the suit had "repulsor rays" built in that enabled him to fly.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:55 am

earendel wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Spoiler
I got the impression that he tinkered with it himself, so he was an inventor-type guy. He may have been rich, too, but I don't recall any other gadgets in the preview. At any rate, he was a mere mortal, wasn't he?

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#12 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 am

Deal or No Deal - I mean WWTBAM Transcript 2/17/09

Transcriptionist humor, it's absolutely knee slapping. There is a reason some of us are recognized worldwide for our unmatched wit and humor while other people just write teh transcripts....

Nick Santillo
Elizabeth, NJ

Next week, he'll probably transfer to the Salvation Army National Guard. Bellringer boot camp is absolute hell so I hear....

No wonder you joined up with the reserves. I guess it must be nice to have a hot meal and a semi-soft bed one weekend a month....

Guest host Cat Deeley

I don't even want to know who Cat Deeley is, but you have to have some pretty low standards to be selected as a host for this show...

Cat introduces today’s expert, A.J. Jacobs, author of “The Know-It-All.”

Another know-it-all wannabe. I am still awaiting my call to be an expert on this show. I promise not to use coarse language or berate the contestant too much for throwing such easy questions my way. I'll even spring for a wide angle lens so that my entire big, fat, fabulous head will fit in the crummy Skype picture....

Topic Tree
Hello, Dolly!
High Cool
Measure for Measure
Surreal Paintings
Italy
National News
Hancock
Fables
2008 Blockbusters
Lookin' Good!
Swollen Glands
Modern Convenience
Idioms
Clever Rhymes
Cover Girls

Oh look, the year 2008 appears in the topic tree. Who would have guessed they'd be asking questions about something that happened yesterday? The question writers never cease to amaze or nauseate me....

$100 (Cover Girls):
Appropriately, Oprah Winfrey wears glasses on the July 2008 cover of her magazine, which is devoted in part to what theme?
A. Exercise B. Reading
C. Interior design D. Taking over the universe

Anyone who actually knew this from viewing the cover of this magazine should be barred from ever appearing on a game show... and let's bar them from ever exhaling as well....

$200 (Clever Rhymes):
"All the rest have thirty-one" is a line from a popular rhyme used to remember the number of days in a what?
A. Week B. Month
C. Year D. Decade

$300 (Idioms):
According to a common idiom, friends who share an extremely close relationship are said to be "as thick as" what?
A. Thieves B. Arsonists
C. Jaywalkers D. Vandals

$500 (Modern Convenience):

$1000 (Swollen Glands):
The disease epidemic parotitis, which is characterized by swollen glands in the face, is more commonly known as what?
A. Measles B. Chicken Pox
C. Whooping Cough D. Mumps

Nick shows Cat the proper Army salute.

Oh wow, what a damn hook! How many weekends did it take you to learn how to salute? My guess is if you were in R. Lee Ermey's platoon, you'd be scrubbing the barnacles out of the septic tank with your own toothbrush....

When Cat is ready to begin, Nick asks to pause for a moment, then proposes to his girlfriend Millie in front of the audience.

Ummmmm.... no. No, no, no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Ladies and gentlemen, you have just witnessed the end of an era. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Born August 16, 1999.... Died February 17, 2009. May it rest in peace. I will lower my flag to half staff in moruning just as soon as I lower my head to half bowl and vomit for a few hours....

There have been many idiots and insane moments on this show before that I have bravely witnessed and commented on over the past 4 years. But for the first time, I am actually embarrassed to even be posting in a thread about this show.....

$2000 (Lookin' Good!):
Due to its unique appearance, what hairstyle is often jokingly described as "business in the front, party in the back"?
A. Beehive B. Mullet
C. Mohawk D. Afro

Sure, now that it's lost every shred of its credibility, the show's gonna take on the daunting task of ripping on the mullet. If this show were a hairstyle, it'd be the unsightly combo of the Blago-do meets Aqua Net....

$4000 (2008 Blockbusters):

If only Iron Man could travel back in time for us and eliminate all of the people who were responsible for bringing us today's episode. What do you say, Ozzy? The world's depending on you....

Cat says "What a show we have had so far" and "It does not even feel like a quiz show"

Welcome to WWTBAM, Kitty. I've known that for a few years now, but what you have just witnessed would be a low point for even a dating show.... and that's saying something!

$8000 (Fables):
In Roman legend, who was famous for befriending a lion by pulling a thorn from its paw?
A. Remus B. Philemon
C. Castor D. Androcles

ATA :20

ATA
A-26% B-10% C-13% D-51%

When you're done with that Androcles, could you come over and extract the 10 foot ramrod this show just stuck up the derrieres of it's few remaining loyal fans?

$16K (Hancock):
A. Saxophone B. Piano
C. Trumpet D. Guitar

ATE

Not that you have much in the way of standards, Nick, but you should not be on this show if you have never seen the video for "Rock-It". Maybe if you hasn't spent all your days swabbing your poopdeck....

Now that the Double Dip are engaged, we can all speculate on just how long before they break up. I'm guessing they'll probably last longer than this show remains on the air, which if I'm calculating correctly, will probably be pre-empted due to FCC intervention by 30 minutes of Billy Mays and Vince trying to sell you something today.....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 am

Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:
Estonut wrote:I didn't see the movie, but the previews were everywhere. Didn't he build a suit which flies? I thought he had no superpowers, like Batman.
I got the impression that he tinkered with it himself, so he was an inventor-type guy. He may have been rich, too, but I don't recall any other gadgets in the preview. At any rate, he was a mere mortal, wasn't he?
Yes.
Spoilerized in case anyone hasn't seen the movie yet and cares
In the movie (I can't speak for the comic books) he's a wealthy military industrialist, who is captured by the bad guys in Afghanistan and forced to build one of his new superweapons for them. He secretly designs the first version of his Iron Man suit instead, to escape from them. Then he goes back to his mansion in Malibu and designs a much snazzier model.

gsabc

#14 Post by gsabc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 am

Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:
Estonut wrote:I didn't see the movie, but the previews were everywhere. Didn't he build a suit which flies? I thought he had no superpowers, like Batman.
Yes. I wasn't a Marvel Comics fan, but IIRC he was a Bruce Wayne clone who was also an inventor and ran a big business. The suit was created to help him with a heart condition, as well as fight crime and super-baddies. It flew, was protective armor, and gave him extra strength (strength-enhancing exoskeletons were new and in the news at the time).
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 am

Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:
Indeed he was. In the comic books (original) he was wounded in Vietnam and crafted his first suit there (much like the one in the movie) and over the years upgraded to the red/gold suit. It has those "repulsor rays" for flight, plus it can seal itself to keep out gases and liquids, has its own built-in air supply, has radar and other such equipment. But all of it was the result of his scientific/inventive genius.

NellyLunatic1980

#16 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:02 am

Oh, thank God MBFFB came out of his hidey-hole today. My day is complete. :D

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:10 am

Has Howie ever needed to bring in a substitute host? How about Alex Trebek? Pat Sajak? In all the years those shows have been on the air?

tanstaafl2

#18 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:24 am

Estonut wrote:
Spoiler
I agree. Here in Nerdland I thought it was a poorly worded question!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Has Howie ever needed to bring in a substitute host? How about Alex Trebek? Pat Sajak? In all the years those shows have been on the air?
In fairness none of the others have quite the same workload as Meredith, not to mention her personal life. I don't begrudge her occasional time off. And wouldn't it be nice if they asked Regis to guest host some time? (When pigs fly...)

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:32 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
In fairness none of the others have quite the same workload as Meredith, not to mention her personal life. I don't begrudge her occasional time off. And wouldn't it be nice if they asked Regis to guest host some time? (When pigs fly...)
Did someone twist Meredith's arm to make her host two TV shows at the same time?

And we understand, as the TV audience doesn't, that a guest week is actually just a single day of taping. As for that TV audience, it's never really made clear why SyndieBAM has a guest host, from time to time. There's suddenly just a stranger on stage.

megaaddict

#21 Post by megaaddict » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:11 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:When Cat is ready to begin, Nick asks to pause for a moment, then proposes to his girlfriend Millie in front of the audience. She accepts, they kiss and he gives her the ring.
Oh, puh-leeze!!! Can anyone imagine J! stopping the game and letting one of the contestants propose from the stage?
I thought this was unthinkable at first, but on further thought, J! would be a great place to propose. Picture this.

Couple plans to marry after they accumulate some starting out funds.

Guy gets on J!

Wins 5 or more games. Perhaps winnings pass six figures.

He locks the Friday game going into Final J!. Sweetheart in the audience.

Alex: Category is "Famous Quotations". What did our returning champ write?

Screen reveals:

Becky Smith,
love of my life,
will you marry me?

Alex: What did you wager?

Screen reveals:

All my heart.

Maybe I should be writing the much anticipated sequel, "Slumdog Jeopardy!" :lol:

TheConfessor

#22 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:46 pm

megaaddict wrote:Alex: Category is "Famous Quotations". What did our returning champ write?

Screen reveals:

Becky Smith,
love of my life,
will you marry me?

Screen reveals:

All my heart.
The wager part could never happen. The production crew looks at your FJ wager during the break and makes sure it is valid. As for the rest of the scenario, I'd have no problem with a J! contestant using the screen to write "marry me Becky," preferably after attempting to answer the actual question. It's pretty common for contestants to write "hi, mom" or some other shout out to family and friends. I think that's more commonly done by losing contestants than by the winners.

Those who have read Prisoner of Trebekistan, which I encourage everyone to do, know that at least one wedding has been performed on the Jeopardy! set.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#23 Post by clem21 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
megaaddict wrote:Alex: Category is "Famous Quotations". What did our returning champ write?

Screen reveals:

Becky Smith,
love of my life,
will you marry me?

Screen reveals:

All my heart.
The wager part could never happen. The production crew looks at your FJ wager during the break and makes sure it is valid. As for the rest of the scenario, I'd have no problem with a J! contestant using the screen to write "marry me Becky," preferably after attempting to answer the actual question. It's pretty common for contestants to write "hi, mom" or some other shout out to family and friends. I think that's more commonly done by losing contestants than by the winners.

Those who have read Prisoner of Trebekistan, which I encourage everyone to do, know that at least one wedding has been performed on the Jeopardy! set.
So you're saying Buckfutter wouldn't actually work?!

Damnation! Now I won't even bother trying out for Jeopardy! anymore...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion