Internet Explorer 7

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

Internet Explorer 7

#1 Post by fantine33 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:25 pm

So, I generally ignore update notices for as long as possible until they annoy me enough that I update just to get rid of the reminder every time I start up the computer.

The most recent update that I decided not to ignore any longer is an install of IE 7. I know when it came out there were lots of problems with it so I didn't bother installing it.

It really hasn't had an effect on me because I use Opera for just about everything, but are they forcing an install now? Have the problems been ironed out? I have to use IE every once in a while for something that won't work on Opera, so if I must install and it's the only way to get rid of the update notification popup, I suppose I must.

Bob Juch

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:35 pm

I started using the first beta when it was released and had no problems.

Yes, you now should install it. Remember that Windows Explorer shares code with IE. SP3 will have it anyway.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

fantine33

#3 Post by fantine33 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Bob Juch wrote:I started using the first beta when it was released and had no problems.

Yes, you now should install it. Remember that Windows Explorer shares code with IE. SP3 will have it anyway.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Earlier today Pogo decided not to let me use Opera anymore, so I'm going to have to start using IE more.

Your second paragraph pretty much means absolutely nothing to me, except that I put off installing service packs until I absolutely have to as well (like when they give me a message that XP will no longer be supported, ha!) so I probably won't remember that.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:20 pm

fantine33 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:I started using the first beta when it was released and had no problems.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Earlier today Pogo decided not to let me use Opera anymore, so I'm going to have to start using IE more.

Your second paragraph pretty much means absolutely nothing to me, except that I put off installing service packs until I absolutely have to as well (like when they give me a message that XP will no longer be supported, ha!) so I probably won't remember that.
Putting off installing Service Packs is a terrible idea! Many are to patch Net exploits. Even with a firewall you could be infected due to some of them.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Putting off installing Service Packs is a terrible idea! Many are to patch Net exploits. Even with a firewall you could be infected due to some of them.
Around here service packs are deliberately withheld until they have been "cleared" by the Army (or maybe DoD) IT chain of command. We are still using IE6 and Windows XP - we aren't allowed to use IE7 or Vista because they haven't been given the blessings from higher up. We can't update our own computers, either, which is just as well because some of our Web apps might not work the same way if IE7 was installed.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:31 pm

earendel wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Putting off installing Service Packs is a terrible idea! Many are to patch Net exploits. Even with a firewall you could be infected due to some of them.
Around here service packs are deliberately withheld until they have been "cleared" by the Army (or maybe DoD) IT chain of command. We are still using IE6 and Windows XP - we aren't allowed to use IE7 or Vista because they haven't been given the blessings from higher up. We can't update our own computers, either, which is just as well because some of our Web apps might not work the same way if IE7 was installed.
Citi does the same thing and we're still running Windows 2000 on many systems.

Unfortunately there's no 3rd party to tell home users that the patches have been checked out.

I install patches every Patch Tuesday.

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#7 Post by tubadave » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:18 pm

earendel wrote:We are still using IE6 and Windows XP - we aren't allowed to use IE7 or Vista because they haven't been given the blessings from higher up. We can't update our own computers, either, which is just as well because some of our Web apps might not work the same way if IE7 was installed.
We are in the same boat at Southwest. IE7 is allowed to some degree (people who work from home, or flight attendants who bid for their schedules from home, etc.) but Vista is still pretty much frowned on, and some things we have just flat out won't work with it still.

Oh, and by the way, for those with web browser questions, your best answer (IMHO) is here.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:19 pm

So it was YOU who wrote the most recent commercial for Macintosh!?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#9 Post by tubadave » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:37 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:So it was YOU who wrote the most recent commercial for Macintosh!?
If you're talking to me, then you should know that I would never stoop so low as to write commericals for pretty but overpriced toy computers that promote common misconceptions about the whole PC vs Mac debate. :D
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

Sir_Galahad

#10 Post by Sir_Galahad » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Sorry to say, IE 7 requires XP or higher. I tried to install it on my W2K system and it would not install. So, I continue to use Firefox.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#11 Post by cindy.wellman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:32 am

earendel wrote:
Office 2007, though not an OS or browser, must have impressed (?)DoD quite a bit, because we had it made available to us in April. It even may have been approved prior to that, but that was when we were given the opportunity to purchase it via the "here we got the licensing, buy it for your home at a greatly reduced price" offer. I'm surprised that it arrived, or was cleared, so quickly.

Cindy<----likes Office 2007, dislikes IE, needs to check out Opera and loves Firefox.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:28 am

cindy.wellman wrote:Office 2007, though not an OS or browser, must have impressed (?)DoD quite a bit, because we had it made available to us in April. It even may have been approved prior to that, but that was when we were given the opportunity to purchase it via the "here we got the licensing, buy it for your home at a greatly reduced price" offer. I'm surprised that it arrived, or was cleared, so quickly.

Cindy<----likes Office 2007, dislikes IE, needs to check out Opera and loves Firefox.
Some of our offices are using Office 2007, but our office can't because the procurement system we use isn't compatible with Office 2007 yet (and may not be for a while), so we are stuck with Office 2003 (which took three years for our software to be made compatible with). This plays havoc with our engineers and other "early adopters" of Office 2007; they keep sending us documents that we can't use.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 am

At the Vista launch event in New York out CTO was on stage with Bill Gates and announced that Citi was going to go to Vista on every one of our 40,000 desktop systems. As far as I know, it's running on only a few for testing. I can't use Vista at home as our remote access software still doesn't work with Vista.

I got a free copy of Office 2007 by attending a Microsoft developers' conference. I regret installing it as Outlook 2007 is a slow pig. I rarely use any of the other Office applications but they seem to be just as bad.