The most Bizarre thing I've ever seen in game show history!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

#26 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:33 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Appa23 wrote:[
We might be just country bumpkins here, but Nebraska is not one big school district
I understand that. I have read your comments about your district splitting up.

In California, school districts used to have flexibility to teach what they wanted and go beyond what California required. This worked fine until "No Child Left Behind" or as most of the teachers I know call it, "No Child Gets Ahead" started. Some of the things that schools taught were more advanced than what was on the test but kids weren't familiar with the stuff that was on the test, so the scores weren't great.

Now, everything schools teach is aligned with the content standards.

. . . .
I just assumed that the same sort of content standard alignment happened everywhere. Apparently I was wrong.
Well, it wasn't this school district that was going to be split up (ours is one of the suburban districts that the Omaha Public Schools district wanted to take over).

As I surmised, the difference likely is in how our differign states have approached NCLB. Here is an excerpt that I found from an education website.

"The Test" is how students are measured. Each state selects a standardized test that is made up of multiple choice timed tests. A level of proficiency is selected. All students that fall below that are not proficient. Iowa uses the Iowa Test of Basic Skills to measure proficiency along with many other states. A student scoring a 41st percentile is considered proficient. A student scoring a 40th percentile is not. That could mean that if the child got just one more question correct, he or she would be considered proficient.

Nebraska
Nebraska thought this was a poor way to assess students. Students learn differently and should be assessed differently. Nebraska developed a STARS model: School-based Teacher-led Assessment Reporting System. Each school district may design their own tests to measure how students are meeting the grade-level norms. The testing may be

multiple choice tests
oral presentations
demonstrations
projects

How does Congress view the Nebraska assessment model? Edward Kennedy, the Senate watchdog over NCLB, is praising the Nebraska plan. High stakes testing is not the only way. Nebraska proved there was another way.

Doug Christensen, state commissioner of education says, "Ours is a bottom-up model. It begins in the classroom with instruction that's aligned to our standards and extends to assessments developed locally that are tied to how well students apply concepts and problem solve, rather than simply memorize facts and figures and dates that they can't remember 10 minutes later." [Sonja Steptoe, time.com, May 31, 2007]

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#27 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:34 am

I can't remember which grade we actually learned about nouns and verbs, but I know my first introduction to the terms subject and predicate came when we started diagramming sentences in 7th grade....

Must be part of the new math.... er, language arts....

lb13

Appa23

#28 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:37 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I know it seems crazy, but perhaps Wayne really was hanging around the taping, saw the woman blow it and felt bad? He then used his pull to get the woman a 2nd shot on his show and powers of the shows said "Why not?"
Yeah, right.

And like he said, he saw her and instantly recognized--as she set a record, fixed or not, for flunking out faster than anyone on 5th Grader--that she was a great contestant.

Humbug!

There were papers to sign, legal briefings to deliver, family members to plant in his audience, exemptions to the multiple game show appearances clause in the standard contracts to be approved--nothing about this stunt was spontaneous.

And like last season when we debated whether the kids' answers were being unfairly meddled with, I'd like to see Cody called up to a witness stand to testify. :evil:
Why is everyone making a big deal about the family and friends that they showed on "Lyrics". I would guess that they also were in the audience for "Smarter", but she did not last laong enough to show them.

I do think that they were waiting for an opprtunity to arise to do the "back-to-back" thing, and she gave them the chance.
Last edited by Appa23 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#29 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:00 am

Appa23 wrote: Why is everyone making a big deal about the family and friends that they showed on "Lyrucs". I would guess that they also were in the audience for "Smarter", but she did not last laong enough to show them.
Not so much a big deal about this one, particular point, as about it being one piece of circumstantial evidence in a whole string of them.
Appa23 wrote:I do think that they were waiting for an opprtunity to arise to do the "back-to-back" thing, and she gave them the chance.
Cody and TPTB "helped" her give them that chance.

Shade

#30 Post by Shade » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:28 am

I feel so bad for that poor women, leaving 2 game shows with nothing. I would be humilated, no, mortified! I wouldn't be able to face my friends and family after that.