Another victory!!! 17-0!!!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
rayxtwo

Another victory!!! 17-0!!!

#1 Post by rayxtwo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:54 am

From Bixby's thread about sports nicknames.

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

How come there are seventeen college teams nicknamed either Cardinal or Cardinals and not one......not even one nicknamed Cubs?????

Just thought I'd ask.

Ray

rayxtwo

#2 Post by rayxtwo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:53 pm

No response from the little cubbies out there?????

Ray

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Golly, Ray, you're back on the Cubs? I had predicted this would be the time for you to start bad-mouthing the Sooners.

Perhaps that's too risky.

rayxtwo

#4 Post by rayxtwo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:23 pm

Ok then.

RESTORE THE ROAR, BABY!!! RESTORE THE ROAR!!!!

Ray

(How's that???)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:28 pm

rayxtwo wrote:Ok then.

RESTORE THE ROAR, BABY!!! RESTORE THE ROAR!!!!

Ray

(How's that???)
That sounds reasonable to me -- not that I can help you yell it. This should be a good game.

jayhawker536

#6 Post by jayhawker536 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 pm

Never in a million years did I think I would hear myself say this, however (forgive me Judy), I am going to have to root for Mizzou this time.

One reason and one reason only, if the Tigers win, OU and KU will face each other in the Fiesta Bowl, now that is a game I would love to see.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:50 pm

jayhawker536 wrote:Never in a million years did I think I would hear myself say this, however (forgive me Judy), I am going to have to root for Mizzou this time.

One reason and one reason only, if the Tigers win, OU and KU will face each other in the Fiesta Bowl, now that is a game I would love to see.
Would the Fiesta Bowl really put together two teams from the same conference -- even if the teams haven't yet played? I don't know, but it sure would sell some tickets.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:26 am

jayhawker536 wrote:Never in a million years did I think I would hear myself say this, however (forgive me Judy), I am going to have to root for Mizzou this time.

Nope. Big XII is limited to 2 BCS teams, so OU, MU, and KU all can not make a BCS bowl.

If OU wins, MU or KU might be second team.

If MU wins, no way that OU gets a BCS nod with 3 losses.

jayhawker536

#9 Post by jayhawker536 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:44 pm

That is certainly not what I heard on the radio while coming home from work yesterday.

They said, if MU wins then OU and KU would face each other in the Fiesta Bowl. If this is not so, then I take it back, I'm not rooting for MU tonight.

Are you certain that they count the National Championship game as a bowl game? Why else would sportscasters put out there to the public that a game between KU and OU was a possibility?

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Anita, BCS is the key word here.

In the current BCS format, four bowl games and the National Championship Game are considered "BCS bowl games".
The four bowl games are the Rose Bowl Game in Pasadena, the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Arizona,
and the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Here's a excerpt from some of "the rules" (Yikes!)

# The highest ranked champion of a non-BCS conference will receive an automatic berth if:

* It is ranked in the top twelve, or
* Ranked in the top sixteen and higher than another BCS Conference champion.

# A special case is made for independent Notre Dame, which receives an automatic berth if it finishes in the top eight.
# No more than 2 teams from any one conference may receive berths in BCS games.

So OU, Missouri and Kansas can't all 3 be in a BCS bowl game, which includes the National Championship game.

Editing my own post as Brent Musburger just said if OU wins they could very well meet Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl since they haven't played each other this year.

jayhawker536

#11 Post by jayhawker536 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:39 am

Thanks Kay, for a minute there I thought I must have been hearing things, for the life of me I could not figure out why I would imagine hearing something like that, if it wasn't said, my imagination is not that great.

rayxtwo

#12 Post by rayxtwo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:11 am

Well we blew it. That's all I can say for now. I have to go to work.

Ray

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:43 am

I don't see it so much as Missouri blowing it as Oklahoma winning it. Nothing for Mizzou to be ashamed of, IMO.

It is too bad they had to lose late, which is probably going to cost them a BCS Bowl, when the team they beat will probably be in one. But this year, that seems to be the norm.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tanstaafl2

#14 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:22 am

Missouri seems destined for the Cotton Bowl at this point as the #2 Big 12 team. Once one of the "big" bowls it has now fallen into the second tier of New Years Day bowls with the likes of the Gator, Outback and Capital One (formerly Citrus and before that Tangerine I think) bowls since it is not a BCS game.

ASU may fall all the way to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego as they aren't likely to travel well given the distance to one of the Florida Bowls. Those other bowls tend to look for teams in the eastern half of the US to attract the snowbirds.

ASU/Missouri might be an interesting game but the Cotton usually has a Big 12/SEC match up.

According to wiki the Cotton is moving to Texas Stadium in a couple of years and will try to get into the BCS mix.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh