Transcript 03/03/2009 Joyce Thomas

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 03/03/2009 Joyce Thomas

#26 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:44 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote: Much of the malarial world is now chloroquine resistent but some of the current alternative prophlaxis and treatment is still in the quinine family like mefloquine and primaquine.
There some bad news. :(

By the time I go to Costa Rica again, it will probably be chloroquine resistant also.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#27 Post by earendel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Wasn't there an episode of M*A*S*H in which primaquine was a plot point? IIRC Klinger and another orderly were given primaquine (along with the rest of the camp) because the chloroquine pills they had requisitioned didn't arrive (or were replaced by the primaquine). Potter said something about not administering them to the "Negro" members of the unit because they would have an adverse reaction. But Klinger and the other orderly came down with hemolytic anemia because they, too, had the adverse reaction. That's when it was found that people of Mediterranean descent also can't take primaquine.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#28 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:18 pm

earendel wrote:Wasn't there an episode of M*A*S*H in which primaquine was a plot point? IIRC Klinger and another orderly were given primaquine (along with the rest of the camp) because the chloroquine pills they had requisitioned didn't arrive (or were replaced by the primaquine). Potter said something about not administering them to the "Negro" members of the unit because they would have an adverse reaction. But Klinger and the other orderly came down with hemolytic anemia because they, too, had the adverse reaction. That's when it was found that people of Mediterranean descent also can't take primaquine.
Yes, the big hook with Primaquine is G6PD or Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. Primaquine causes hemolytic anemia in people who have this. Rare in women because it is X-linked recessive but a fairly common genetic disorder found most typically in men of African, Middle Eastern and Asian ancestry.

I think Klinger was supposed to be Lebanese, as was Farr himself.

It doesn't affect everyone of a particular ancestry but now that there is a test for G6PD you should test first before giving it.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#29 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:24 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
earendel wrote:Wasn't there an episode of M*A*S*H in which primaquine was a plot point? IIRC Klinger and another orderly were given primaquine (along with the rest of the camp) because the chloroquine pills they had requisitioned didn't arrive (or were replaced by the primaquine). Potter said something about not administering them to the "Negro" members of the unit because they would have an adverse reaction. But Klinger and the other orderly came down with hemolytic anemia because they, too, had the adverse reaction. That's when it was found that people of Mediterranean descent also can't take primaquine.
Yes, the big hook with Primaquine is G6PD or Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. Primaquine causes hemolytic anemia in people who have this. Rare in women because it is X-linked recessive but a fairly common genetic disorder found most typically in men of African, Middle Eastern and Asian ancestry.

I think Klinger was supposed to be Lebanese, as was Farr himself.

It doesn't affect everyone of a particular ancestry but now that there is a test for G6PD you should test first before giving it.
And interestingly enough G6PD confers a degree of immunity against malaria which probably explains why it is so commonly found in people from the "malaria belt".

Survival of the fittest and all that jazz.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Weyoun

#30 Post by Weyoun » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:24 pm

I can speak with a little authority on this, since my microbiology final is next week. There is no way you can get through a discussion of malaria without quinine and cousins being mentioned. Thankfully she is not an MD.