DECEMBER QOD RULE

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

DECEMBER QOD RULE

#1 Post by fantine33 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:11 am

Yes, RULE, singular. This post is just really long because I tend to ramble on. Ha!

I wouldn’t necessarily call these RULES, just an explanation of how it works so you’ll know wtf is going on and what to answer or not answer, as you like.

HOW IT WORKS

I plan on there being a QOD every day, including weekends, but my jury is still out on whether to do one on Christmas and New Year’s Eve. I’m not averse to doing it, but if I don’t get an opinion or two I might turn into a whiny beyotch, so pipe up!

Although I am usually around early morning (except for Sunday because I don’t get home until mid-morning and then I have to obsess over fantasy football), sometimes I might have to post later in the day, so each QOD will be open to answer until midnight of the following day. Except for weekends, since I know some people aren’t around then, which will both be due Monday night. “But midnight what time?” you might ask. I might answer, “the only time that matters, which is my time, which is Mountain Time.” Yeah, wah, wah, like three other people live in Mountain Time. If you’re on the east coast and it actually becomes important whether you have until 2 am or 3 am to answer, then you’ve pantsed around for far too long, anyway.

As I said earlier, every day will be a Quiz of the Day and a Question of the Day. The Quiz will be five questions worth 10 points each, for a total of 50. Then will come the Question, which will be double or nothing of your quiz points. It won’t (I hope) be the toughest question that day, but it won’t be the easiest, either. So you can choose to answer and gamble your quiz points, or decline and keep what you got. If you choose to just answer the Question, that’s worth a straight 10 points. Any bonus questions to the Question can be answered or not whether you answered any of the other questions or not. There is no penalty for any wrong answers apart from the double or nothing nature of the Quiz/Question combo.

Now, for the RULES!

A. There are TWO acceptable sources you can use in coming up with your answers:

1. What you have already rattling about in your head.
2. What you can manage to pull out of your ass.

Yes, we all know that you’re the smartest smarty that ever smarted. You’re a flash of brilliance shooting across the night sky of smartdom and we bow to your exceptional exceptionality. You don’t have to prove it. And don’t kid yourself that everybody doesn’t know that you’re cheating, anyway. So don’t.

(If you're wondering why the above was directed towards you, then it probably wasn't.)

B. Please spoiler your answers. Not for cribbing purposes (if somebody wants to copy your answer that badly, they’ll just hit the spoiler), but because that makes the messages much shorter, which will help save the finger doing all the scrolling on my little laptop mouse. Since I want to try and have the results and standings updated daily, I’ll probably be checking and scoring when I can throughout the answering, so I’ll have to be going through the thread more than once.

C. I’d prefer no Merry Men, but if you insist upon it, please just pick one and use it for the duration. Mainly because I don’t want to have some long ass standings list to have to try and format right in every message that has 30478502 MM at the bottom of it because you pick a different one to use each day.

I’m not being the board equivalent of the No Fun League, so my only problem with this is as it relates to scoring and stuff. I certainly don’t want the thread to be confined to just straightforward answer posts, because that would be boring. Smartass or serious, comments are welcomed by anybody and everybody.

Okay, three rules. Two of which don’t count because they are basically requests to make things easier for me.

earendel

Re: DECEMBER QOD RULE

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:18 am

fantine33 wrote:I plan on there being a QOD every day, including weekends, but my jury is still out on whether to do one on Christmas and New Year’s Eve. I’m not averse to doing it, but if I don’t get an opinion or two I might turn into a whiny beyotch, so pipe up!
OK, my opinion - no games on weekends. Christmas day and New Year's Eve are OK.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ToLiveIsToFly

#3 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:06 am

earendel wrote:
fantine33 wrote:I plan on there being a QOD every day, including weekends, but my jury is still out on whether to do one on Christmas and New Year’s Eve. I’m not averse to doing it, but if I don’t get an opinion or two I might turn into a whiny beyotch, so pipe up!
OK, my opinion - no games on weekends. Christmas day and New Year's Eve are OK.
Games every day including holidays.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:33 am

Every day

Even made up days would work for me

If fishie and I do the starcock MM, can we both play on our own as well?

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:38 am

Game on every day. Since I know that there are many here who would drive me into the ground in a head-to-head trivia duel, I don't care about my score as much as the information gained. So missing a day or two doesn't bother me.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:05 pm

I was thinking if the opinions were divided I'd just split the difference and do one QOD for the entire weekend. As for now, since the overwhelming majority says more is better, I'll start off at least doing one every day.
peacock2121 wrote:Every day

Even made up days would work for me

If fishie and I do the starcock MM, can we both play on our own as well?
As long as you don't care if it isn't in the regular standings and you each answer your for real ones before the Starcock Summit begins. I also told Spunky that if he wanted to play by email while on holiday that Starcock could post for him.
gsabc wrote:Game on every day. Since I know that there are many here who would drive me into the ground in a head-to-head trivia duel, I don't care about my score as much as the information gained. So missing a day or two doesn't bother me.
That's exactly my goal, gs! Not that people get everything right, but that the questions interest them enough that they read the results to find out what the answer is, not just check their standing.

DevilKitty100

#7 Post by DevilKitty100 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:06 pm

fantine33 wrote:Yes, RULE, singular. This post is just really long because I tend to ramble on. Ha!

I wouldn’t necessarily call these RULES, just an explanation of how it works so you’ll know wtf is going on and what to answer or not answer, as you like.

HOW IT WORKS

Now, for the RULES!

A. There are TWO acceptable sources you can use in coming up with your answers:

1. What you have already rattling about in your head.
2. What you can manage to pull out of your ass.
Based on #2 I'm guessing this will be a high scoring game.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Traditionally, the QoD was a daily game... including weekends and holidays. I believe earendel was the first Meister to institute the soon-to-become-common weekends off policy for the QoD, and that was 2 years after it began...

If you post it, they will play....

lb13