Transcript 03/06/2009 - Daphne Wotherspoon

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/06/2009 - Daphne Wotherspoon

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 am

Daphne Wotherspoon
Leesburg, VA
Technology Salesperson

Daphne has two daughters who call Millionaire "Mommy's Question Show."

Topic tree:
- Brainiacs
- Time Magazine
- Fictional Families
- Measuring Up
- In the Kitchen
- Without Borders
- Out in Cyberspace
- Eye, Eye, Captain
- Papa-Ooh-Mau-Mau
- The Jackalope
- Wardrobe Department
- Name Game
- Short Form
- Ad Nauseum
- Get a Hobby!

$100 - According to the Audubon Society, binoculars, a field guide and a blank notebook are all you need to engage in what activity?
A - birding
B - sailing
C - golfing
D - freaking out your neighbors
Spoiler
A - birding (6)
$200 - What company's recent ad campaign features celebrities and real-life consumers repeatedly saying "I'm a PC"?
A - McDonald's
B - Microsoft
C - Coca-Cola
D - Toyota
Spoiler
B - Microsoft (8)
$300 - Which of these articles of clothing is often referred to using only its first syllable?
A - pajamas
B - bikini
C - tuxedo
D - overcoat
Spoiler
C - tuxedo (9)
$500 - Though it really wasn't, the scale used to categorize earthquakes sounds like it was named after which of these comedians?
A - Craig Kilbourn
B - Andy Richter
C - Bill Maher
D - Al Franken
Spoiler
B - Andy Richter (8)
$1K - In which of these films do many cast members don corsets and fishnet stockings?
A - The Rocky Horror Picture Show
B - The Godfather
C - Jaws
D - Apocalypse Now
Spoiler
A - The Rocky Horror Picture Show (8)
commercial break

We are treated to a photo of Daphne's children, Ava and Zoe. Daphne's husband Bill is in the relationship seat; the girls are with Daphne's brother. Daphne says that this is a much-needed romantic getaway. It's nice to be able to bring home some cash.

Daphne has earned the ATE lifeline.

$2K - As a joke, taxidermists sometimes create stuffed "jackalopes," by placing antelope antlers on the bodies of which animals?
A - porcupines
B - gophers
C - armadillos
D - rabbits
Spoiler
D - rabbits (22)
$4K - "Quotations from Chairman Mao," a popular book in Communist China, is commonly referred to as what?
A - Thin Green Book
B - Little Red Book
C - Long Black Book
D - Heavy Blue Book
Spoiler
B - Little Red Book (22)
$8K - For almost 30 years, Captain Kangaroo was played by a man with what first name?
A - Bob
B - Douglas
C - Jack
D - Daniel

Daphne wastes no time in asking for her first lifeline, the PAF. The clock stops with 24 seconds. On Daphne's PAF list are her father, David from Fairfax, VA; her friend Terry from Reston, VA; and her friend Andrew, from Arlington, VA (who is kissing a dolphin in the photo). Daphne is confident that her father will know this one, so she chooses David.

Daphne reads the question (omitting the first phrase), then the answers. David recites the question back, then asks for the names again. He says he wouldn't bet the house but he's pretty sure it's
Spoiler
Bob
. Daphne goes with her dad's answer.
Spoiler
A - Bob (20)
commercial break

$16K - A person would most likely visit the Web site Hulu.com to do what?
A - trade stocks
B - buy shoes
C - sell furniture
D - watch videos

Daphne ponders momentarily then decides to ATA, stopping the clock with 20 seconds remaining.

ATA results:
A - 15%
B - 22%
C - 5%
D - 58%

Daphne says she trusts the audience and goes with their answer.
Spoiler
D - watch videos (15)
$25K - Which of these states does not border the Mississippi River?
A - Tennessee
B - Minnesota
C - Kansas
D - Iowa

Daphne asks to use the "times two" (correcting herself and saying "Double Dip"), stopping the clock with 18 seconds remaining. Meredith reminds her that if she misses she'll fall back to $1K.

Daphne makes
Spoiler
Kansas
her first final answer. Meredith tells her she's right.
Spoiler
C - Kansas (8)
THE HORN!!!!!!

Daphne will return on Monday with her ATE lifeline remaining.

earendel

Re: Transcript 03/06/2009 - Daphne Wotherspoon

#2 Post by earendel » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Daphne Wotherspoon
Leesburg, VA
Technology Salesperson

Cute.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - For almost 30 years, Captain Kangaroo was played by a man with what first name?
A - Bob
B - Douglas
C - Jack
D - Daniel

Daphne wastes no time in asking for her first lifeline, the PAF. The clock stops with 24 seconds. On Daphne's PAF list are her father, David from Fairfax, VA; her friend Terry from Reston, VA; and her friend Andrew, from Arlington, VA (who is kissing a dolphin in the photo). Daphne is confident that her father will know this one, so she chooses David.

Daphne reads the question (omitting the first phrase), then the answers. David recites the question back, then asks for the names again. He says he wouldn't bet the house but he's pretty sure it's
Spoiler
Bob
Spoiler
A - Bob (20)
The book "Street Gang" about the people who created Sesame Street, mentions Bob Keeshan a lot - several of those who went on to Sesame Street got their start with Captain Kangaroo.

Nihil obstat® so far.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:15 am

Leesburg, VA
Technology Salesperson

At least they realize that Mommy watches a Question Show and not a Talk Show.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:32 am

The transcript's answer for the $4K question is in error.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:44 am

silvercamaro wrote:The transcript's answer for the $4K question is in error.

Fixed....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:48 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:The transcript's answer for the $4K question is in error.

Fixed....

lb13
Thank you, sir.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Jeemie

#7 Post by Jeemie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 am

You can't tell me this lady's name didn't score her at least SOME positive audition points!
1979 City of Champions 2009

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#8 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:28 am

Jeemie wrote:You can't tell me this lady's name didn't score her at least SOME positive audition points!
That is a great name, isn't it! In a BBC comedy, Daphne Wotherspoon would be the name of the vicar's favorite parishoner (the one who makes the double-chocolate fudge muffins for the church bake sale) in a rural village called Ballyvalleydumplingdale.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#9 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:44 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Jeemie wrote:You can't tell me this lady's name didn't score her at least SOME positive audition points!
That is a great name, isn't it! In a BBC comedy, Daphne Wotherspoon would be the name of the vicar's favorite parishoner (the one who makes the double-chocolate fudge muffins for the church bake sale) in a rural village called Ballyvalleydumplingdale.

Fudge muffins????
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Rafferbee

#10 Post by Rafferbee » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:11 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K - Which of these states does not border the Mississippi River?
A - Tennessee
B - Minnesota
C - Kansas
D - Iowa

Daphne asks to use the "times two" (correcting herself and saying "Double Dip"), stopping the clock with 18 seconds remaining. Meredith reminds her that if she misses she'll fall back to $1K.

Daphne makes
Spoiler
Kansas
Spoiler
C - Kansas (8)
This would have been easy for me. I drove from Maryland to Kansas this summer on I-70. I drove over the Mississippi to get into Missouri, and then crossed the Missouri into Kansas.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:43 am

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K - Which of these states does not border the Mississippi River?
A - Tennessee
B - Minnesota
C - Kansas
D - Iowa

Daphne makes
Spoiler
Kansas
Spoiler
C - Kansas (8)
This would have been easy for me. I drove from Maryland to Kansas this summer on I-70. I drove over the Mississippi to get into Missouri, and then crossed the Missouri into Kansas.
Exactly what I did last Sunday!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:48 pm

$16K: Never heard of Hulu. I will also ask the audience.

TheConfessor

#13 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:24 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$16K: Never heard of Hulu. I will also ask the audience.
You must not have watched the Super Bowl, or the many other shows where this commercial has been seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m71m-LBqFQ

Millionaire Fan

#14 Post by Millionaire Fan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:07 pm

I would love it if they could put full length episodes of Millionaire on Hulu.com

tanstaafl2

#15 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:
A - Tennessee
B - Minnesota
C - Kansas
D - Iowa

Daphne makes
Spoiler
Kansas
Spoiler
C - Kansas (8)
Exactly what I did last Sunday!
It should be easy for anybody, at least if you are from the US! Alas, it is not. Geonitwitism strikes again. This time it cost a lifeline rather than the cash. Kinda wish it cost her the cash as that would seem more fitting.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#16 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:55 pm

earendel wrote:
Leesburg, VA
Technology Salesperson

Cute.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - For almost 30 years, Captain Kangaroo was played by a man with what first name?
A - Bob
B - Douglas
C - Jack
D - Daniel

Spoiler
Bob
Spoiler
A - Bob (20)
The book "Street Gang" about the people who created Sesame Street, mentions Bob Keeshan a lot - several of those who went on to Sesame Street got their start with Captain Kangaroo.

Nihil obstat® so far.
Anybody of a certain age might be likely to know this but tough on younger folks, especially at 8K. I grew up on the Captain and have a book about him on my coffee table.

Those of even more of a "certain age" may remember him as the original Clarabell the Clown.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

megaaddict

#17 Post by megaaddict » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 am

I never understood the strategy of using the PAF as the first lifeline, but in this case it worked out perfectly as it saved the ATA for the more difficult pop culture question (assuming this was taped pre-Super Bowl).

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 pm

megaaddict wrote:I never understood the strategy of using the PAF as the first lifeline, but in this case it worked out perfectly as it saved the ATA for the more difficult pop culture question (assuming this was taped pre-Super Bowl).
Yes, the entire season completed taping by November 7. This episode was probably taped sometime in October.

mntetn

#19 Post by mntetn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:41 am

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: This would have been easy for me. I drove from Maryland to Kansas this summer on I-70. I drove over the Mississippi to get into Missouri, and then crossed the Missouri into Kansas.
Actually I think you cross the Kansas into Kansas, at least if you stay on I-70. The Missouri separates Kansas City from North Kansas City.

Farther north, you do cross the Missouri into Kansas.