RIP Evel Knievel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

#26 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:28 pm

TheConfessor wrote:Thanks for the link. This was bugging me, because I didn't think my memory was that bad. So I did some digging and found that the ABC Wide World Of Sports broadcast of Evel's failed jump at Snake River was indeed delayed until the following Saturday, 9/14/1974. This info is on the same site as the article you provided, so the writer could have easily checked before spreading that error about it being a live broadcast.
http://espn.go.com/abcsports/wwos/milestones/1970s.html
I just noticed that this ABC page also mentions a previous 1974 broadcast of Evel Knievel jumping 11 Mack trucks at "Highland Falls Texas." As far as I can determine, no such place exists. I wonder what they really meant.

elwoodblues

#27 Post by elwoodblues » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:02 pm

I found a jump he made in 1974 in North Richland Hills, Texas, a suburb of Dallas-Fort Worth.

fantine33

#28 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:30 pm

TheConfessor wrote:Thanks for the link. This was bugging me, because I didn't think my memory was that bad. So I did some digging and found that the ABC Wide World Of Sports broadcast of Evel's failed jump at Snake River was indeed delayed until the following Saturday, 9/14/1974. This info is on the same site as the article you provided, so the writer could have easily checked before spreading that error about it being a live broadcast.
http://espn.go.com/abcsports/wwos/milestones/1970s.html
Now that makes sense! I don't know why they put the original date as their date of broadcast, maybe that's what confused them.

That also validates my memory of it being on WWOS on a Saturday afternoon. I guess before all the internet and 495860382 tv channels and stuff that seeing a pre-show buildup of things that happened a week ago didn't seem so been there done that, mainly because we hadn't. Ha!