Transcript 03/12/09 - Melissa Claire (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/12/09 - Melissa Claire (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Movie Week

Melissa Claire
Point Reyes Station, CA
Massage therapist

Melissa has a little girl named Isabella. We see a photo of Isabella and her parents, dressed up in
costumes for a musical theater fundraiser. Melissa is dressed as a venus flytrap, Isabella as a baby fly and Colin as a spanish fly.

Melissa and her fiance went to see "Knocked Up" when she was eight months pregnant. She thought the movie was hysterical and he was white-knuckling through the whole thing. When they rented it again, he said, "Oh, now it's funny."

Question Topics:
* Stanley Kubrick
* You Devil!
* Clint Eastwood
* Sex and the City
* I'm Batman
* 50 First Dates
* Best in Show
* Apocalypse Now
* Sydney Pollack
* Netflix Clip
* Teen Wolf
* The Sisterhood
* Stuck on You
* (Cate Blanchett)
* (On Location )

$300 * Stuck on You
As indicated by its title, in the 2003 comedy "Stuck on You," Greg Kinnear and Matt Damon play an affable pair of what?

A: Figure skaters B: Conjoined twins
C: Stockbrokers D: Catholic priests
Answer
B: Conjoined twins ( 8 )
$500 * The Sisterhood
Four young women share one magical garment in the 2005 movie "The Sisterhood of the Traveling" what?

A: Pants B: Boots
C: Pajamas D: Scarf
Answer
A: Pants ( 8 )
$1,000 * Teen Wolf
In "Teen Wolf," Michael J. Fox's transformation into a werewolf causes him to excel at what high school sport?

A: Track B: Soccer
C: Lacrosse D: Basketball
Answer
D: Basketball ( 9 )
Melissa has now earned her Ask The Expert lifeline. Today's experts are the executives who pick the movies at Netflix, Ted Sarandos and Erin Ruane.

$2,000 * Netflix Clip
This scene from "LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring" features a somber exchange between what two members of the fellowship?
Elijah Wood: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

Ian McKellen: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
A: Gandalf & Frodo B: Aragorn & Pippin
C: Legolas & Sam D: Boromir & Gimli

Melissa saw all these films at midnight and she's glad she remembers this.
Answer
A: Gandalf & Frodo ( 17 )
-- Commercial Break --

Melissa already has a Netflix subscription, but Netflix is giving her a one-year subscription for free. Everyone in the audience is also getting a subscription.

$4,000 * Sydney Pollack
For the 2005 movie "The Interpreter," Sydney Pollack became the first director ever to shoot in what location?

A: St. Peter's Cathedral B: The Pentagon
C: U.N. Headquarters D: The Kremlin
Answer
C: U.N. Headquarters ( 21 )
$8,000 * Apocalypse Now
In "Apocalypse Now," Robert Duvall's character Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore makes what famous declaration about is Viet Cong enemies?

A: Charlie don't dance B: Charlie don't fish
C: Charlie don't barbecue D: Charlie don't surf

With 21 seconds left, Melissa decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 36% B: 10% C: 10% D: 44%

Melissa was inclined towards Charlie don't surf.
Answer
D: Charlie don't surf ( 5 )
$16,000 * Best in Show
In the Christopher Guest comedy "Best in Show," what breed of dog is Winky, the Best in Show winner at the Mayflower Dog Show?

A: Norwich Terrier B: Shih Tzu
C: Weimaraner D: Bloodhound
Answer
A: Norwich Terrier ( 21 )
$25,000 * 50 First Dates
In "50 First Dates," Drew Barrymore's memory-impaired character is repeatedly shocked by what film's surprise ending?

A: The Others B: The Usual Suspects
C: The Crying Game D: The Sixth Sense

With 21 seconds left, Melissa decides to Ask The Expert.

Erin: I think it's the Sixth Sense.

Ted: I think it is, too. This is a movie my kids and I have watched about a thousand times.

Erin: I love the movie! You laugh and you cry. Sixth Sense.

Ted: Sixth Sense.

Melissa: You guys sound pretty sure. How sure are you?

Ted: Very, very sure.

Answer
D: The Sixth Sense ( 19 )
-- Commercial Break --

Melissa is building a house and also trying to plan a wedding, at the same time. Now they can think about both.

$50,000 * I'm Batman
In a cameo appearance, what U.S. politician tells the Joker, "We're not intimidated by thugs" in 2008's "The Dark Knight"?

A: Arlen Specter B: Orrin Hatch
C: Patrick Leahy D: Harry Reid

With 29 seconds left, Melissa decides to Phone A Friend.

Melissa's PAF team are her brother, Rob, San Jose, CA; her friend, F.X., Los Angeles, CA, a film critic; and her pal, Bob, Burbank, CA. Melissa decides to call her little brother, Rob.

Rob: Huh.

Melissa: The politician that makes a cameo in the Dark Knight.

Rob: I don't think--it's Orrin Hatch.

Melissa: Nine seconds. Six seconds.

Rob: Okay. I'm leaning--I'm leaning--

Melissa: Give me a guess!

Rob: I'm leaning towards--I'm only about--

[Time runs out.]

With 26 seconds left, Melissa decides to Double Dip.

Answer
Melissa's first answer is C: Patrick Leahy.

C: Patrick Leahy ( 26 )

Melissa thinks she heard Rob say Patrick Leahy somewhere in the middle of that, which gave her the tip.

$100,000 * Sex and the City
Which of these "Sex and the City" stars has appeared in a film that won the Academy Award for Best Picture?

A: Kristin Davis B: Cynthia Nixon
C: Sarah Jessica Parker D: Kim Cattrall

Melissa knows it's not Kristin Davis. She doesn't think its Sarah Jessica Parker. It might be Cynthia Nixon or Kim Cattrall.

Melissa walks away with $50,000.

Answer
B: Cynthia Nixon ( 3 )
-- Commercial Break --

KillerTomato

Re: Transcript 03/12/09 - Melissa Claire (carryover)

#2 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:56 pm

$300 * Stuck on You: Not one of the Farrelly brothers best movies, but it had its moments.
$500 * The Sisterhood: I saw bits and pieces of this once, but I knew it from the title.
$1,000 * Teen Wolf: Awful movie, but memorable game at the end.
$2,000 * Netflix Clip: EZ. When I got to the Ls in my collection about 6 months ago, I watched all three extended editions back to back to back.
$4,000 * Sydney Pollack: Unlike Melissa, I'm not a fan of this movie. It was OK the first time I saw it, but it doesn't hold up to repeat viewings. Although Nicole Kidman's rather hot.
$8,000 * Apocalypse Now: "What do you know about surfing? You're from fucking New Jersey!"
$16,000 * Best in Show: OK, I don't mind gloating. I ANSWERED THIS QUESTION YESTERDAY! WOOHOO!!!!
$25,000 * 50 First Dates: Wow, I dunno how I knew this (I only saw "50 First Dates" once), but I knew it.
$50,000 * I'm Batman: I've seen this about a dozen times already. Since I know what the other three look like (I couldn't have told you what
Spoiler
Leahy's
name was, but I know the other three by sight), and it wasn't them, I got it from POE.
$100,000 * Sex and the City: Well, I needn't have worried that they were going to ask a question about S&TC, then! I had the answer before the choices were revealed. "Amadeus" is one of my all-time favorites.

So....I'm looking at the $250K question with all four lifelines, and DYING to find out what the Kubrick question was.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm

KillerTomato wrote:So....I'm looking at the $250K question with all four lifelines, and DYING to find out what the Kubrick question was.
Pure torture this week, isn't it? :|

KillerTomato

#4 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:So....I'm looking at the $250K question with all four lifelines, and DYING to find out what the Kubrick question was.

Not really. Yeah, I really really really really really wish it was me sitting there instead of her (or more likely, instead of Carlos yesterday, since that "Godfather" question was minemineminemine), but they can only take a few people each year for Movie Week, and I'm enough of a realist to at least understand why they wouldn't want me. I'm not the most photogenic person they interviewed, nor do I have that HUGE personality they like. It's big (my personality, people, get your minds out of the gutter!), but not HUGE (again, MY PERSONALITY! GEEZ are you all twisted!).

That said, I was excited to hear that Melissa had tried out for years for the Movie Week shows before getting on. I have no doubt from watching her today that she had no problems at all with the test, so it had to be the talent portion of the competition that got her through. So there's still hope for THIS year! And yes, I WILL be heading up to NYC this summer for another shot.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Not really. Yeah, I really really really really really wish it was me sitting there instead of her (or more likely, instead of Carlos yesterday, since that "Godfather" question was minemineminemine), but they can only take a few people each year for Movie Week, and I'm enough of a realist to at least understand why they wouldn't want me. I'm not the most photogenic person they interviewed, nor do I have that HUGE personality they like. It's big (my personality, people, get your minds out of the gutter!), but not HUGE (again, MY PERSONALITY! GEEZ are you all twisted!).

That said, I was excited to hear that Melissa had tried out for years for the Movie Week shows before getting on. I have no doubt from watching her today that she had no problems at all with the test, so it had to be the talent portion of the competition that got her through. So there's still hope for THIS year! And yes, I WILL be heading up to NYC this summer for another shot.

Yup. She probably beat you in the bathing suit portion.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 pm

KillerTomato wrote:$100,000 * Sex and the City: Well, I needn't have worried that they were going to ask a question about S&TC, then! I had the answer before the choices were revealed. "Amadeus" is one of my all-time favorites.
And which two films was she in that were nominated for Best Picture but did not win?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:00 am

$8K: No clue on this one. I would also ask the audience... but with those percentages, it's time to ask the experts as well.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Best in Show
In the Christopher Guest comedy "Best in Show," what breed of dog is Winky, the Best in Show winner at the Mayflower Dog Show?

A: Norwich Terrier B: Shih Tzu
C: Weimaraner D: Bloodhound
Answer
A: Norwich Terrier ( 21 )
Ha ha ha! KT predicted this one yesterday!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * 50 First Dates
In "50 First Dates," Drew Barrymore's memory-impaired character is repeatedly shocked by what film's surprise ending?

A: The Others B: The Usual Suspects
C: The Crying Game D: The Sixth Sense
Not the question I had predicted, but I still got this particular one right.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 * I'm Batman
In a cameo appearance, what U.S. politician tells the Joker, "We're not intimidated by thugs" in 2008's "The Dark Knight"?

A: Arlen Specter B: Orrin Hatch
C: Patrick Leahy D: Harry Reid
Although I didn't see this movie, I knew this one even before the choices ever came up. Sen. Leahy has been a guest many times on "The Bill Press Show" and Bill has mentioned this factoid every time during the past year.

$100K: No clue on this one, but I would take the gamble and Double Dip on A and B, since IMHO they would be the most likely to be in an Oscar-winning film. I doubt that any of my PAFs could Google this one fast enough.

So I would be going for the $250,000 Clint Eastwood question with my PAF.

NellyLunatic1980

#8 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 am

Here's a million-dollar Kubrick question for you: What the hell was the meaning of the final scenes of "2001: A Space Odyssey"? :P

KillerTomato

#9 Post by KillerTomato » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Here's a million-dollar Kubrick question for you: What the hell was the meaning of the final scenes of "2001: A Space Odyssey"? :P

Meaning? It has none, really. It's just eye candy for you while you're tripping on Lucy in the sky with diamonds.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#10 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:57 am

KillerTomato wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

Meaning? It has none, really. It's just eye candy for you while you're tripping on Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

And how would you know this?

KillerTomato

#11 Post by KillerTomato » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: Here's a million-dollar Kubrick question for you: What the hell was the meaning of the final scenes of "2001: A Space Odyssey"? :P

I read it in a book somewhere. I myself have never dropped acid.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:16 am

KillerTomato wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
KillerTomato wrote: Meaning? It has none, really. It's just eye candy for you while you're tripping on Lucy in the sky with diamonds.
I read it in a book somewhere. I myself have never dropped acid.
I have. It ruined my lab notebook and stained my fingers brown. Got marked down on the experiment, too.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

wintergreen48

#13 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 am

KillerTomato wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

The woman who made a man out of me was an acid tripper, and this movie made her stop: she was tripping when she saw the film, and when the end sequence began, she wigged out completely and ran out of the theater screaming. Not the best way to end a date.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:19 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: Here's a million-dollar Kubrick question for you: What the hell was the meaning of the final scenes of "2001: A Space Odyssey"? :P

The woman who made a man out of me was an acid tripper, and this movie made her stop: she was tripping when she saw the film, and when the end sequence began, she wigged out completely and ran out of the theater screaming. Not the best way to end a date.
But it makes for a hell of a story! :mrgreen:

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#15 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:00 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

Arthur Clarke insisted in an interview that there was no such intention. A little later in the same interview, he said that somebody came up to him, handed him a brown paper bag with something in it, he knows not what, said, "This is the best stuff," and walked away. Clarke said he flushed whatever it was down the toilet.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:44 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:

Hmmmm. Are you sure that was the reason? Maybe when she got to the theater she was surprised by Mr. Wintergreen's glowing package.

Thousandaire

#17 Post by Thousandaire » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

A better movie to watch on acid is Yellow Submarine.

I knew Cynthia Nixon but might have needed some help on the earlier ones.

I can't believe they have a contestant from Pt. Reyes Station. It's a tiny town near where I grew up. Beautiful place though.