Lizbit at Puppy School

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Lizbit at Puppy School

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Tonight in class, Lizbit learned "Leave it" and "Drop It," both of which IMO are difficult concepts for young dogs. Every fiber of their being is telling them that, whatever "it" is, it should be held tightly in the mouth until a determination is made to eat it, make it squeak, or merely gnaw on it, so no other dogs can get it. Nevertheless, she once again demonstrated complete understanding of both commands in three minutes or less. She cut a swath of dropping and leaving. She left a trail of dropped and left toys, sticks, and balls. She reponded to the instructor. She responded to me. She was a champion.

I know perfectly well that she will neither drop nor leave a darn thing when we practice tomorrow. She is an incredibly cute little con artist.

The well-dressed, elegant lady with a chow was impressed by Lizbit's collar and leash, however. I found an old black-and-white set, hardly ever used, which had belonged to Tigger. The collar was wider and the leash heavier than the early puppywear Lizbit had been using, and I thought the extra heft might be helpful in the walking exercises. What the woman noticed with approval were the words Isaac Mizrahi repeated throughout the design. Yep, Lizbit was decked out in designer doggy gear. I never told the woman that I'd bought those things at Target.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:35 pm

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

Re: Lizbit at Puppy School

#3 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:06 am

silvercamaro wrote:Tonight in class, Lizbit learned "Leave it" and "Drop It," both of which IMO are difficult concepts for young dogs. Every fiber of their being is telling them that, whatever "it" is, it should be held tightly in the mouth until a determination is made to eat it, make it squeak, or merely gnaw on it, so no other dogs can get it. Nevertheless, she once again demonstrated complete understanding of both commands in three minutes or less. She cut a swath of dropping and leaving. She left a trail of dropped and left toys, sticks, and balls. She reponded to the instructor. She responded to me. She was a champion.

I know perfectly well that she will neither drop nor leave a darn thing when we practice tomorrow. She is an incredibly cute little con artist.

The well-dressed, elegant lady with a chow was impressed by Lizbit's collar and leash, however. I found an old black-and-white set, hardly ever used, which had belonged to Tigger. The collar was wider and the leash heavier than the early puppywear Lizbit had been using, and I thought the extra heft might be helpful in the walking exercises. What the woman noticed with approval were the words Isaac Mizrahi repeated throughout the design. Yep, Lizbit was decked out in designer doggy gear. I never told the woman that I'd bought those things at Target.
Oooh, SC, I'm behind on the times with which pets you now have. Do you mind filling me in on who now allows you to take up residence there?

As a side note, we'll be bringing a highly anticipated puppy home on Friday. Sam has started investigating 'kindergartens' that the puppy will attend. Is that where you were with Lizbit?

Edited to add:

1) Duh, the title of your message says, "Lizbit at puppy school" so that answers that question

2) Hi, Uly. :D

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:27 am

Oooh, SC, I'm behind on the times with which pets you now have. Do you mind filling me in on who now allows you to take up residence there?

The current pack consists of Annie, the brownhound who survived her collision with an SUV (and taught herself to read, write, and post on the internet during her recovery); Irish, the whippet female and perennial Frisbee champ; Rusty, a big, beautiful, greyhound boy who retired from racing last year; and 4-month-old "Lizbit "(Elizabeth Barrett Brownhound), who is pointer-ish, or as they say at the pound, "a bird dawg."

Tigger, the world's greatest Dalmatian of all time, lost a long fight with kidney disease in late spring.

As a side note, we'll be bringing a highly anticipated puppy home on Friday.

Tell me more! What breed, how old, where are the photos???etc., etc.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#5 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:03 am

silvercamaro wrote:Oooh, SC, I'm behind on the times with which pets you now have. Do you mind filling me in on who now allows you to take up residence there?

The current pack consists of Annie, the brownhound who survived her collision with an SUV (and taught herself to read, write, and post on the internet during her recovery); Irish, the whippet female and perennial Frisbee champ; Rusty, a big, beautiful, greyhound boy who retired from racing last year; and 4-month-old "Lizbit "(Elizabeth Barrett Brownhound), who is pointer-ish, or as they say at the pound, "a bird dawg."

Tigger, the world's greatest Dalmatian of all time, lost a long fight with kidney disease in late spring.

As a side note, we'll be bringing a highly anticipated puppy home on Friday.

Tell me more! What breed, how old, where are the photos???etc., etc.

Thanks for the information on the new pets. :) Wasn't it Kay who used to keep notes by the computer to keep track of everyone?

My father was busted after we discovered that he was keeping notes by the telephone to keep track of our pets. LOL I always wondered how he never mixed up any of them when talking to us. LOL

I'm sorry to hear of Tigger's passing. I hope that you are as ok as can be expected after losing a friend. :(

Sam, the 11 (!!!!!) year old who lives with us, campaigned all summer for a new puppy. She did all kinds of research on the various breeds, and came up with one that she felt would fit into our already full o' pets household. So, on her birthday, 23 August, we surprised her with the news that she was to receive her puppy, a Bichon Frise. We found the one we wanted, who was born on 18 August. Sam named her, "Princess Bianca Rosa." She is currently in the Twin Falls area, and we'll be driving to fetch her on Friday.

Currently our brood includes:

Xena Marshmallow - 6 year old Rottweiler who came to live with us in 2004 in Italy

Bella Limone - 3 year old tabby who, along with her sister Giulia Stratciatella, came to live with us shortly after their birth in 2004. Giulia was hit by a car in 2006.

Nero Tiramisu - 2 year old Norwegian Forest Cat, who arrived at our house in June of 2005

Bruno McTunno - 1 year old Tabby

We switched from gelato middle names after Giulia passed away, so that is how Bruno became a McTunno instead of something else.

We always hoped we would have another boy animal, because we wanted to use the name Bruno. After stumbling along learning the Italian language, it was common to get confused with what the correct responses would be in any given situation. One day, during the first month or two after arriving there we were out shopping and a nice cashier thanked Eric by saying, "Prego"! Eric replied, after thinking about it for a second, "BRUNO!" lolololol I still laugh when I think about it.

Thanks for letting me go on about my pets, and thank you for sharing a bit of information about yours.

Hugs,
Cindy

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#6 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:04 am

PS - Xena doesn't know she is a Rottweiler, so please keep it hush-hush!!! We think that she thinks she is a CAT! LOL

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

Sam's pup

#7 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:07 am

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:53 am

silvercamaro wrote: I know perfectly well that she will neither drop nor leave a darn thing when we practice tomorrow. She is an incredibly cute little con artist.
I am reminded of a video I saw once, where an obedience contest was occurring. Sausages were put in front of all the seated dogs, who were supposed to stay seated and leave the sausage alone while the owners left the room. One dog got up, ate the sausages in front of all the OTHER dogs, then sat back down behind his own uneaten one. The people in the crowd at the contest were in hysterics when the owners came back in.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:56 am

gsabc wrote: I am reminded of a video I saw once, where an obedience contest was occurring. Sausages were put in front of all the seated dogs, who were supposed to stay seated and leave the sausage alone while the owners left the room. One dog got up, ate the sausages in front of all the OTHER dogs, then sat back down behind his own uneaten one. The people in the crowd at the contest were in hysterics when the owners came back in.
That's fantastic! That video wouldn't be available on YouTube, would it? :lol:

fuzzywuzzy

#10 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:23 am

Hi there SC! I too, am coming upto speed with all your new four-legged members of the SC household. I am so sorry to hear of Tigger's passing. But, happy to hear about Lizbit! Please post photos of the family. Does the gang ever partake in "Three Dog Bakery" treats?

Hope all is well with you...

We too are going to get a dog soon. I told fwh, that once things were more in order in the home, we would get a puppy!

Very excited indeed! :lol:

Take care...

fuzzy

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:28 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote: I am reminded of a video I saw once, where an obedience contest was occurring. Sausages were put in front of all the seated dogs, who were supposed to stay seated and leave the sausage alone while the owners left the room. One dog got up, ate the sausages in front of all the OTHER dogs, then sat back down behind his own uneaten one. The people in the crowd at the contest were in hysterics when the owners came back in.
That's fantastic! That video wouldn't be available on YouTube, would it? :lol:
Dunno. Haven't looked. IIRC, GW and I saw it something like 15 years ago, so it may not have survived into the digital era.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.