College Coaches

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

College Coaches

#1 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 am

aggravate me. Maybe I should blame their agents. I think every SEC coach has the same one (Sexton) ...well I may be exaggerating a bit...

I feel terrible for the players especially on those teams with critical games to play today. Supposedly official announcement that Les Miles is going to Michigan. Pelini is already officially gone to Nebraska. LSU should be the stronger team in the LSU/TN game today, but somehow I see Tennessee winning easily today. Maybe I'll be proved wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

Auburn's coach was 8-4 this year. Of course we have won the AU/Alabama game 6 years in a row, but is an 8-4 season worth a ton more money? His current contract already calls for $200k a year raise (he already makes $2.6 million a year). He's been rumored for every open coaching job in the southeast. One little problem is the six million dollar buyout clause he currently has. Word is he's trying to get that removed from his contract.

Once Alabama agreed to pay Nick Saben $4 million a year, it's open season for a semi-good coach to negotiate a contract. It's mind boggling.
It's the players I feel for.

OK, rant over.

Appa23

Re: College Coaches

#2 Post by Appa23 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:23 am

kayrharris wrote:Pelini is already officially gone to Nebraska.
Osborne has not announced any choice.

Unless the sources of the "Pelini is the new coach" is Tom Osborne, Nancy Osborne, or Mike Osborne, it is pure speculation. He has been very close to the vest on the process.

ne1410s

#3 Post by ne1410s » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 am

Unless the sources of the "Pelini is the new coach" is Tom Osborne, Nancy Osborne, or Mike Osborne, it is pure speculation.
Wasn't Callahan chosen by Ozzy Osbourne??? :shock:
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Re: College Coaches

#4 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:45 am

Appa23 wrote:
kayrharris wrote:Pelini is already officially gone to Nebraska.
Osborne has not announced any choice.

Unless the sources of the "Pelini is the new coach" is Tom Osborne, Nancy Osborne, or Mike Osborne, it is pure speculation. He has been very close to the vest on the process.
Maybe so. The fact remains that the players and the team are the ones who suffer. Other feel the same way. An example:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/lsu-football/

DadofTwins

#5 Post by DadofTwins » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:11 pm

I hate to perpetuate the stereotype of "dumb jocks," but these guys willingly sign up for the most one-sided deals you'll ever see.

Coaches recruit players to play for them, but are free to leave whenever the money is better elsewhere. If a player leaves, he sits a year. That's fine provided he hasn't already buned his redshirt year. Remember, Urban Meyer originally recruited Troy Smith to play QB at Bowling Green. Four years later, Meyer is in Florida via Utah, coaching against Smith in the NC game. So what, exactly, did Meyer promise the Smith family on that recruiting visit?

A coach can pull a scholarship whenever he wants, for whatever reason. The "four-year deals" to which the players are bound are, for the schools, renewable at the school's or coach's option every semester.

The brightest players might get an education, but that's only provided that the sport doesn't interfere. Players routinely miss class for sports trips, but nobody ever missed a practice because they had Chemistry homework. Since educational access is supposed to be the primary benefit these players receive, to systematically deprive them of their primary means of compensation seems unfair at best, fraudulant at worst. (That is, of course, assuming they come to the school with enough educational chops to take full advantage of the education offered, but that's another topic).

The NCAA has rules limiting practice time, mandatory sessions with coaches, etc., but the reality is that much like Al Gore's environmentalism, most coaches think the rules are only for other people. Remember Dan Hawkins' rant ("It's Division 1 football!")? College sports are a year-round, full-time (or more) job for these players, for which the compensation they are promised is rarely if ever delivered. What's more, the schools have colluded to prevent anyone from seeking recourse against those who secure the player's services in bad faith.

Yet somehow, there are still more people willing to play under these conditions than there are slots available.

Dumb jocks? Maybe it's a cliche because it's true.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Willingly, but what other choice do they have? If the rules were changed and they could follow the coach who recruited them, they may be changing schools 2 or 3 times. Few enough end up graduating as it is. We can get graduation stats I'm sure, but the schools don't advertise them either.

I personally know a young man who actually graduated in 4 years, played football 4 years (red shirted one year, so I guess 5 yrs of football) and managed to make the cut for a pro team this year. He didn't sign for millions of dollars, but he loves football. (5th round draft pick)

He was among the inaugural class of 345 inductees into the National Football Foundation National Honor Society, a recognition program for players who excel both on the field and in the classroom.

Here's nice article about him:

http://www.seahawks.com/News/News.aspx?id=50694