CONGRATS to mrkelley23

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

CONGRATS to mrkelley23

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:04 pm

Although the final November QoD won't close until Monday night, mrkelley24 has wrapped up a victory in the rather spotty November QoD. He edged peacock2121 by 4 points after staging a rally in the final two days.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

mrkelley23

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Thank you for hosting, Cal. I'm sorry you got afflicted by the Curse of the Bored Host: volunteering to host a game on here invariably leads to a disruption in your life that takes you away for significant time. It does me, anyway.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:36 pm

Hmmmmm. Should we recognize who your new avatar is, Mikey?

Maybe this is the next episode of the new "Guess the Avatar" game we started this week! :)

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45 pm

Thank you for bringing the QoD back, Cal.

I do not mind being edged out by mikey.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#5 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:40 pm

Thanks for the QODs. I'm fairly certain that I hadn't participated in one prior to now, so it was nice to have the option to do so. :D I also liked the added benefit that I asked some of the questions to DD, and we found out the answers together. Very nice bonus.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:13 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Hmmmmm. Should we recognize who your new avatar is, Mikey?

Maybe this is the next episode of the new "Guess the Avatar" game we started this week! :)
I thought that it looked a little like Peter Reckell who plaed Bo Brady on Days of Our Lives.

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:47 am

My new avatar is the most flattering picture I've ever seen of one of my favorite songwriters, Steve Earle. Given his general crankiness, I can't say he would find the Peter Reckell comparison flattering, but it definitely shows what a good picture this is of him. Steve has lived his life hard, shall we say, and his face and body show the mileage he's put on them.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:04 am

mrkelley23 wrote:My new avatar is the most flattering picture I've ever seen of one of my favorite songwriters, Steve Earle. Given his general crankiness, I can't say he would find the Peter Reckell comparison flattering, but it definitely shows what a good picture this is of him. Steve has lived his life hard, shall we say, and his face and body show the mileage he's put on them.
This is the same guy, right?

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:40 am

The very same. Lost a bit of the Reckell-ness, hasn't he? :lol:

If you haven't heard his stuff, PSM, you ought to give it a try. It may be little twangy for you, especially the stuff he did with the McCoury Brothers, but it's definitely got some attitude. Which you appear to like in your music, if I may say so.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:43 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:My new avatar is the most flattering picture I've ever seen of one of my favorite songwriters, Steve Earle. Given his general crankiness, I can't say he would find the Peter Reckell comparison flattering, but it definitely shows what a good picture this is of him. Steve has lived his life hard, shall we say, and his face and body show the mileage he's put on them.
What a difference. If the guy in PSM's photo moved onto my street, I'd be watching for indications of a meth lab.

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:47 am

silvercamaro wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
What a difference. If the guy in PSM's photo moved onto my street, I'd be watching for indications of a meth lab.
Steve is one of those rare guys who abused his body for a long time, and still lives to tell about it. He went thru a long cocaine-and-heroin habit, but he claims to be clean now. Still, his pic is a good one to show young people who think drugs are cool. I'm always shocked at how young he is when I see a pic like that one. (He's in his early 50s.)

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:08 pm

I met him about ten years ago. He's a good friend of my good friend Peter Rowan and came to see his show in Chicago.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:26 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:The very same. Lost a bit of the Reckell-ness, hasn't he? :lol:

If you haven't heard his stuff, PSM, you ought to give it a try. It may be little twangy for you, especially the stuff he did with the McCoury Brothers, but it's definitely got some attitude. Which you appear to like in your music, if I may say so.
Oh yeah.

I looked him up on Wikipedia:
Earle has been married seven times, including twice to the same woman. His wives were Sandra (Sandy) Henderson, Cynthia Dunn, Carol Hunter (with whom he had his first child, Justin), Lou-Anne Gill (with whom he had a second son, Ian), Maria Teresa Ensenat, Lou-Anne Gill a second time, and finally in 2005, singer-songwriter Allison Moorer.
In recent years his music has been increasingly political. His 2002 album, " Jerusalem," was largely inspired by the U.S.-led War on Terrorism. This album featured Earle's "John Walker's Blues", which was about the captured American Taliban fighter John Walker Lindh. The song provoked widespread outrage; many accused Earle of sympathizing with terrorists since the song was written from Lindh's perspective.
I remember the controversy when "John Walker's Blues" came out, but didn't remember his name.