Transcript 03/17/2009 Rich Gangel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/17/2009 Rich Gangel

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Rich Gangel
San Francisco, CA
Retired

Does some stretching with Meredith before the questions begin

Topic Tree:

In the Doghouse
Down Under
Counting Cards
War Heroes
The Mother Country
For Openers
Papered Pets
TV Dads
Headliners
Know Your ABC's
Oldies But Goodies
Loaded Questions
KP Duty
Sweet Charity
Something Fishy

$100 (Something Fishy):
Which of these well-known islands lends its name to a type of tiny, anchovy-like fish that is often packed tightly in a can?
A. Ireland B. Sardinia
C. New Guinea D. Mackerel-gascar

Spoiler
B. Sardinia [:08]

$200 (Sweet Charity):
In the charity event "Ante Up for Africa," celebs such as Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle played what game?
A. Golf B. Chess
C. Poker D. Tennis
Spoiler
C. Poker (:10)

$300 (KP Duty):
Which of these kitchen items most closely resembles a hemisphere?
A. Salad fork B. Cookie sheet
C. Spatula D. Cereal bowl
Spoiler
He goes with spatula, final answer, then says "Oh, no, I did it. Oh God (in despair)" then a more matter-of-fact "Oh, Well"

D. Cereal bowl (:05)

Llama

Commercial break
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snaxx

Re: Transcript 03/17/2009 Rich Gangel

#2 Post by Snaxx » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm

TDC ®

Kazoo65

#3 Post by Kazoo65 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Another case where the contestant is ruined by TDC*.

I wonder if the clock will be back next season.
I'm just a game show nerd.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by ontellen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Absolutely. It took me a few seconds to actually process what they meant by a hemisphere when it related to kitchen utensils. Not something you think of everyday. I hate the clock. That was what I always thought was the true beauty of this show plus the 4 possible answers. How many times have you known the answer on J and not been able to think of it but if the 4 answers are provided, you know it right away.

Brit Canuck

#5 Post by Brit Canuck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 pm

What this show needs is a "Stop The Clock" lifeline. Ideal for questions like this with big words in them like 'hemisphere', or questions requiring you to remember obscure nursery rhymes from your early childhood, or a question about math, or a question about the difference between a catcher and a shortstop (that came up a few weeks ago, luckily, the contestant got it right, but two of the answers made sense to me), or a question about "Thirty Days Hath April". Fifteen seconds is not enough time to think about questions like that, and you end up burning more valuable lifelines on impulse, just to stay in the game - or taking the risk and losing, as two contestants have now done in as many weeks.

When used, a 'Stop The Clock' lifeline would eliminate the clock for one question only. Time remaining on the clock when the lifeline is used would not be banked towards the time limit for the Million Dollar Question, but the contestant would have unlimited time to answer that one question, after, of course, *thinking it out*. Ideal for one of those tricky first tier questions that require you to take your time and think for a moment.

Anyone else thinking we need something like that?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:37 pm

Brit Canuck wrote:What this show needs is a "Stop The Clock" lifeline. Ideal for questions like this with big words in them like 'hemisphere', or questions requiring you to remember obscure nursery rhymes from your early childhood, or a question about math, or a question about the difference between a catcher and a shortstop (that came up a few weeks ago, luckily, the contestant got it right, but two of the answers made sense to me), or a question about "Thirty Days Hath April". Fifteen seconds is not enough time to think about questions like that, and you end up burning more valuable lifelines on impulse, just to stay in the game - or taking the risk and losing, as two contestants have now done in as many weeks.

When used, a 'Stop The Clock' lifeline would eliminate the clock for one question only. Time remaining on the clock when the lifeline is used would not be banked towards the time limit for the Million Dollar Question, but the contestant would have unlimited time to answer that one question, after, of course, *thinking it out*. Ideal for one of those tricky first tier questions that require you to take your time and think for a moment.

You'll get a "yes" vote from Rich.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:45 am

jacorbett70 wrote:TDC ®
What he said.

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 am

Don't know what the bowls in your house look like, but ours resemble very flat domes, not hemispheres. Put two together and you get an ovoid, not a sphere.

I suppose since the other choices are flat, it's the only answer possible here. Still, IMO a badly worded question for this level. Replace "hemisphere" with "dome", and it's more appropriate.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 am

gsabc wrote:I suppose since the other choices are flat, it's the only answer possible here. Still, IMO a badly worded question for this level. Replace "hemisphere" with "dome", and it's more appropriate.
How, exactly, would "dome" be more appropriate? Sometimes, a bonehead is just a bonehead.

From M-W on-line:

Main Entry: 1dome
Pronunciation: \ˈdōm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, Italian, & Latin; French dôme dome, cathedral, from Italian duomo cathedral, from Medieval Latin domus church, from Latin, house; akin to Greek domos house, Sanskrit dam
Date: 1513
1archaic : a stately building : mansion
2: a large hemispherical roof or ceiling
3: a natural formation or structure that resembles the dome or cupola of a building
4: a form of crystal composed of planes parallel to a lateral axis that meet above in a horizontal edge like a roof
5: an upward fold in rock whose sides dip uniformly in all directions
6: a roofed sports stadium
7: a person's head
— dom·al \ˈdō-məl\ adjective
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:46 am

Estonut wrote:
gsabc wrote:I suppose since the other choices are flat, it's the only answer possible here. Still, IMO a badly worded question for this level. Replace "hemisphere" with "dome", and it's more appropriate.
How, exactly, would "dome" be more appropriate? Sometimes, a bonehead is just a bonehead.

From M-W on-line:

Main Entry: 1dome
Pronunciation: \ˈdōm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, Italian, & Latin; French dôme dome, cathedral, from Italian duomo cathedral, from Medieval Latin domus church, from Latin, house; akin to Greek domos house, Sanskrit dam
Date: 1513
1archaic : a stately building : mansion
2: a large hemispherical roof or ceiling
3: a natural formation or structure that resembles the dome or cupola of a building
4: a form of crystal composed of planes parallel to a lateral axis that meet above in a horizontal edge like a roof
5: an upward fold in rock whose sides dip uniformly in all directions
6: a roofed sports stadium
7: a person's head
— dom·al \ˈdō-məl\ adjective
Maybe it's only me, but when I think of a dome, I don't think of a full half-sphere. I think of something rounded but flatter than a hemisphere. Yeah, he probably rushed it because of TDC, but still ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 am

gsabc wrote:Maybe it's only me, but when I think of a dome, I don't think of a full half-sphere. I think of something rounded but flatter than a hemisphere.
So you're talking about a shape like a cutting a third of an egg from the large end. Many capitol domes, though, are pointier (less flatter than a hemisphere), like a third of an egg from the pointy end.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:05 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rich Gangel
San Francisco, CA
Retired

Does some stretching with Meredith before the questions begin
Stretching?? What is this, morning aerobics??
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 (KP Duty):
Which of these kitchen items most closely resembles a hemisphere?
A. Salad fork B. Cookie sheet
C. Spatula D. Cereal bowl
Spoiler
He goes with spatula, final answer, then says "Oh, no, I did it. Oh God (in despair)" then a more matter-of-fact "Oh, Well"

D. Cereal bowl (:05)
Maybe instead of stretching the body Rich should have stretched his brain.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

owenziligation

#13 Post by owenziligation » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:07 am

Kazoo65 wrote:Another case where the contestant is ruined by TDC*.

I wonder if the clock will be back next season.
Well, don't get your hopes up. As much as I hate the clock, I don't see it being gone for a while. The clock is shown through the show's current theme and usually when they have a new theme, they keep it for about 3 seasons. So for that reason, I just don't see the clock being gone until then. I'm probably being ridiculous here but that's my logic.

And as for Rich, I didn't look like he was rushing at all. To me, it looked like he was taking a few seconds to think the question through, locked in the incorrect answer, then sat there all calm with the answer locked in until Meredith told him he was wrong and Rich said "Oh, no. I did it," because he was leaving with nothing.

tanstaafl2

#14 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Estonut wrote:
What Estonut said. Clock or no clock that is just a brain fart and you just have to live with it.
I can sympathixe because I can easily do the same thing and have (Not confuse a spatula for a hemisphere, I mean have a brain fart), but I probably won't. It just wasn't that hard or badly worded to me.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:23 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:What Estonut said. Clock or no clock that is just a brain fart and you just have to live with it.
Agreed. However, if not for TDC, Rich could have taken a deep breath and recovered from that brain fart.

ghostjmf

#16 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:59 pm

And now we're back to "let me entertain you". He was a likeable guy. But he should have been listening. There's enough time to go back to being "likeable 1st" after you've won some money.

takinover

#17 Post by takinover » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Brit Canuck wrote:What this show needs is a "Stop The Clock" lifeline. Ideal for questions like this with big words in them like 'hemisphere', or questions requiring you to remember obscure nursery rhymes from your early childhood, or a question about math, or a question about the difference between a catcher and a shortstop (that came up a few weeks ago, luckily, the contestant got it right, but two of the answers made sense to me), or a question about "Thirty Days Hath April". Fifteen seconds is not enough time to think about questions like that, and you end up burning more valuable lifelines on impulse, just to stay in the game - or taking the risk and losing, as two contestants have now done in as many weeks.

I would rather that than Ask the Expert.