WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:20 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4152
Eric Aurigemma
North Salem, NY
Student


Eric is a junior at Merideth's alma mater, Tufts.


$100
Which of these compound adjectives appears in the title of the U.S. national anthem?
A. Sun-Kissed B. Star-Spangled
C. Ice Capped D. Soda-Guzzling

$200
Often tossed in clothes dryers with the laundry, dryer sheets are typically treated with what substance?
A. Sunscreen B. Insect repellent
C. Fabric Softener D. Disinfectant

$300
Which of these idiomatic terms derives from the sport of hunting?
A. Blushing bride B. Shrinking violet
C. Burning question D. Sitting duck

$500
Which of these Web sites warns its users, "remember that each bid you place enters you into a binding contract"?
A. MySpace B. eBay
C. Mapquest D. YouTube

$1,000
In her autobiography, what former child star recalled having fifty-six curls that had to be set most nights when she was a girl?
A. Tatum O'Neal B. Brooke Shields
C. Shirley Temple D. Jodie Foster


(Commercial Break)


$2,000
What is the primary focus of the FBI unit featured on the TV drama "Without a Trace"?
A. White-collar crimes B. Missing persons
C. Cybercrimes D. Cyberterrorism

$4,000
Featured in the name of a well-known L.A. attraction, "la brea" is Spanish for what?
A. The beach B. The gold
C. The steam D. The tar

Eric speaks Spanish, but only well enough to know two of these are wrong. He uses his 50/50, which leaves

B. The gold
D. The tar

When he sees what's left, he says, "Awesome!" and selects the right answer.

$8,000
What Middle Eastern country's flag features a cedar tree?
A. Kuwait B. Syria
C. Qatar D. Lebanon

He says he can see one of the flags in his head, but really doesn't know. He asks the audience:

A. 12%
B. 14%
C. 6%
D. 68%

$16,000
In the classic video game, Pac-Man evaded a group of ghosts nicknamed Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and what?
A. Clyde B. Butch
C. Ralph D. Duane

Eric started grinning when he saw this question, as he knew it cold. He even knew it was "the orange one".

(Commercial break)

$25,000
In the iconic 1851 painting "George Washington Crossing the Delaware," how many people are in Washington's boat?
A. Less than 10 B. Between 10 and 15
C. Between 15 and 20 D. More than 20

Eric's "fairly certain" that there are less than 10, but he decides to call his dad, Peter, for help. Eric gives the question twice, after which (with about 5 seconds left) Peter says "between 10 and 15, definitely, final answer!"

$50,000
What does a palynologist study?
A. Pollen B. Polyps
C. Pearls D. Poultry

Eric was leaning towards C, but decides to switch the question.

STQ $50,000
The opening lyric of the 1978 song "Werewolves of London" describes a werewolf carring what in his hand?
A. Cough medicine B. An iguana
C. A Chinese menu D. Opera tickets

Eric takes a shot, and is wrong. He leaves with $25,000.



Answers:

[spoiler]
$100: B. Star-Spangled
$200: C. Fabric softener
$300: D. Sitting duck
$500: B. eBay
$1,000: C. Shirley Temple
$2,000: B. Missing persons
$4,000: D. The tar
$8,000: D. Lebanon
$16,000: A. Clyde
$25,000: B. Between 10 and 15 (there are actually 12)
$50,000: A. Pollen
STQ $50,000: C. A Chinese menu

[/spoiler]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12378
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Eric Aurigemma
North Salem, NY
Student

Eric is a junior at Merideth's alma mater, Tufts.


I'm guessing this is in the WE® area.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$2,000
What is the primary focus of the FBI unit featured on the TV drama "Without a Trace"?
A. White-collar crimes B. Missing persons
C. Cybercrimes D. Cyberterrorism


One of my favorite shows.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$4,000
Featured in the name of a well-known L.A. attraction, "la brea" is Spanish for what?
A. The beach B. The gold
C. The steam D. The tar

Eric speaks Spanish, but only well enough to know two of these are wrong. He uses his 50/50, which leaves

B. The gold
D. The tar

When he sees what's left, he says, "Awesome!" and selects the right answer.


I wonder what the other one he knew was. So, from the Department of Redundency Department we have "The Tar" Tar Pits.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$25,000
In the iconic 1851 painting "George Washington Crossing the Delaware," how many people are in Washington's boat?
A. Less than 10 B. Between 10 and 15
C. Between 15 and 20 D. More than 20

Eric's "fairly certain" that there are less than 10, but he decides to call his dad, Peter, for help. Eric gives the question twice, after which (with about 5 seconds left) Peter says "between 10 and 15, definitely, final answer!"


I'd have used the 50/50 here and hope that B and C weren't the two remaining answers.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
What does a palynologist study?
A. Pollen B. Polyps
C. Pearls D. Poultry

Eric was leaning towards C, but decides to switch the question.


The only one I knew it wasn't was D. Since my 50/50 is gone, it's time to either PAF or STQ. Let's do what Eric did.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
STQ $50,000
The opening lyric of the 1978 song "Werewolves of London" describes a werewolf carring what in his hand?
A. Cough medicine B. An iguana
C. A Chinese menu D. Opera tickets

Eric takes a shot, and is wrong. He leaves with $25,000.


Bad choice - I have no idea so it's time to PAF.

This was a pretty rough stack.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am
Posts: 27713
Location: Elsewhere
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Eric Aurigemma
North Salem, NY


Hudson Valley, near the border of southwestern CT. Where else?


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$25,000
In the iconic 1851 painting "George Washington Crossing the Delaware," how many people are in Washington's boat?
A. Less than 10 B. Between 10 and 15
C. Between 15 and 20 D. More than 20


One of those subjects everyone is familiar with, but nobody has memorized the necessary detail. And even though it's easy to do a google image search for this painting, it's not so easy to count the number of people in the boat at a glance, particularly if the image isn't high resolution.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:08 am
Posts: 64
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Eric Aurigemma
North Salem, NY
Student

STQ $50,000
The opening lyric of the 1978 song "Werewolves of London" describes a werewolf carring what in his hand?
A. Cough medicine B. An iguana
C. A Chinese menu D. Opera tickets

Eric takes a shot, and is wrong. He leaves with $25,000.



Definitely a question in my wheelhouse. I had the Color of Money soundtrack and listened to this Warren Zevon song over and over.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6666
16K: I guessed right, but would not have gone with it. ATA

25K: Ugh. Its a small but full boat. B or C. 50/50 & hope

50K: STQ

STQ 50K: I knew it, but would have used 50/50 "to be sure" if I had it left. This is free Q, however, so go for it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.