Transcript 3/18/09: Erin Jones (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 3/18/09: Erin Jones (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Erin Jones
New York, NY
Associate Website Editor

Erin brought a whole rooting section, including Gerilyn and Russell (her parents) and David (her boyfriend), Courtney (her sister) and Beatrice (her grandmother). Meredith mentions that Russell is supposed to be on a business trip. Russell says he "blew it off to be with you," (meaning with Meredith) to which Meredith responds, "With who? With ERIN!"

Trouble follows Erin and her entourage whenever they travel. Erin tells a story of getting her head stuck in one of the nooks of a statue of Ronald McDonald in a McDonald's on her first trip to Europe. It took her mom, her mom's friend and the restaurant manager to free her.

Erin has $1,000 and all of her lifelines remaining, including ATE with Ogi Ogas. Her category tree:

Passing the Buck
Down Under
Bill Gates
Antarctica
You Said a Mathful!
Single Mention
Air Apparent
Pop Heartthrobs
Chapter and Verse
Cheese Wiz
(Hail to the Prince)
(Riding the Rails)
(Dot Commerce)
(Baby Names)
(A Sight to See)

$2,000 (Cheese Wiz): Which of these cheeses is known for having bundles of criscrossing lines often referred to as "veins"?
A. Bleu cheese B. Swiss cheese
C. Cheddar cheese D. Cream cheese
Spoiler
A. Bleu cheese (19)
$4,000 (Chapter and Verse): A well-known Bible verse about the perils of wealth mentoins a rich man, the eye of a needle, and what type of large animal?
A. Ox B. Lion
C. Whale D. Camel

Erin chooses to ATA (22). Their results:
ATA results
A. Ox - 28%
B. Lion - 12%
C. Whale - 8%
D. Camel - 52%
Spoiler
D. Camel (17)

[Ed. note: I'm paraphrasing, but it's something along the lines of "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven."]
$8,000 (Pop Heartthrobs): What band's 2008 comeback tour reunited heartthrobs Danny, Donnie, Jordan, Jonathan and Joey?
A. New Edition B. Color Me Badd
C. Boys II Men D. New Kids on the Block
Spoiler
D. New Kids on the Block (22)
$16,000 (Air Apparent): Which of the following is a three-letter identification for an Asian airport and not a European one?
A. BCN B. DUB
C. HKG D. ZRH
Spoiler
C. HKG (19)

HKG is Hong Kong. The others are Barcelona, Dublin and Zurich.
$25,000 (Single Mention): The word "slavery" is only mentioned once in the U.S. Constitution, in which of these amendments?
A. Eleventh B. Thirteenth
C. Sixteenth D. Eighteenth

Erin elects to ATA (15), Ogi Ogas. Meredith asks Ogi if he's feeling smart. Ogi replies, "We'll find out in a minute!"

Ogi asks Erin what she's thinking (she has no idea) and if she's nervous ("Oh, yeah"). He tries to calm her down by saying he was very nervous in the hotseat, too, but Meredith calmed him down. He then tells her that the answer is
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
B. Thirteenth (12)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

After bringing up the Ronald McDonald story again and mentioning that the Belgians must have though that Erin was a "not-so-bright American," Meredith says she's proving them wrong. Meredith then says that Erin is living paycheck-to-paycheck, so the money will help her a lot.

$50,000 (You Said a Mathful!): Which of these math terms is also another word for "tartar"?
A. Logarithm B. Algebra
C. Geometry D. Calculus

Erin doesn't know, and says she'll use her PAF(34) to call Andrew. The pictures that are then put up show that standing by are people named Andrew (Brooklyn, NY), Brad (Morristown, NJ) and Bruce (Fords, NJ).

Erin reads the question and answers, and Andrew asks, "Another word for what?" When he hears "tartar," he immediately says,
Spoiler
"Oh, calculus."
15 seconds remain on the clock when he's done, so Erin says she's taking him out to dinner.
Spoiler
D. Calculus (32)
$100,000 (Antarctica): Although it has a research station there, which of these countries does not claim territory in Antarctica?
A. Russia B. Norway
C. Australia D. Chile

Erin doesn't know, and doesn't think the DD will help, so she decides to walk with $50,000.
Spoiler
A.. Russia (15)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 3/18/09: Erin Jones (carryover)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Single Mention): The word "slavery" is only mentioned once in the U.S. Constitution, in which of these amendments?
I was looking for the Fourteenth Amendment, but thankfully, that wasn't a choice. I'll have to ask Ogi for confirmation on either B or C.

$100K: No clue on this one. I'll have to PAF.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:05 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Single Mention): The word "slavery" is only mentioned once in the U.S. Constitution, in which of these amendments?
I was looking for the Fourteenth Amendment, but thankfully, that wasn't a choice. I'll have to ask Ogi for confirmation on either B or C.

Do you value the Ogi ATE or the PAF more? This is a slam-dunk Google. The first page of hits (10) ALL mention the thirteenth amendment. Since I don't know Ogi's familiarity with Constitutional Amendments, and he can't Google, I think I'd PAF the $25k and save Ogi for something more esoteric/less Googleable.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#4 Post by sunflower » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:42 am

The Constitutional Amendments were on my list of study items. I actually knew that!

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:53 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Erin Jones
New York, NY
Associate Website Editor

Trouble follows Erin and her entourage whenever they travel. Erin tells a story of getting her head stuck in one of the nooks of a statue of Ronald McDonald in a McDonald's on her first trip to Europe. It took her mom, her mom's friend and the restaurant manager to free her.
Did they think about using some of the shortening that the fries are cooked in?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000 (Chapter and Verse): A well-known Bible verse about the perils of wealth mentoins a rich man, the eye of a needle, and what type of large animal?
A. Ox B. Lion
C. Whale D. Camel

Erin chooses to ATA (22). Their results:
ATA results
A. Ox - 28%
B. Lion - 12%
C. Whale - 8%
D. Camel - 52%
Spoiler
D. Camel (17)

[Ed. note: I'm paraphrasing, but it's something along the lines of "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven."]
The topic of Biblical literacy has been discussed at length on the J! board - not that everyone is expected to be a Bible scholar or a sword drill champion, but basic knowledge like this should be part of everyone's knowledge base, even non-Christians.

Erin elects to ATA (15), Ogi Ogas. Meredith asks Ogi if he's feeling smart. Ogi replies, "We'll find out in a minute!"

Ogi asks Erin what she's thinking (she has no idea) and if she's nervous ("Oh, yeah"). He tries to calm her down by saying he was very nervous in the hotseat, too, but Meredith calmed him down. He then tells her that the answer is
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
B. Thirteenth (12)
Good for Ogi!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 (Antarctica): Although it has a research station there, which of these countries does not claim territory in Antarctica?
A. Russia B. Norway
C. Australia D. Chile

Erin doesn't know, and doesn't think the DD will help, so she decides to walk with $50,000.
Spoiler
A.. Russia (15)
I thought it was Norway because they seem to be the least territorial among the four. Would I have gone for it? Probably, and ended up with $25K. Had I made a sanity check, however, and refrained from too quick an answer, I'd pull out a lifeline. This looks like a job for a Google PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:56 am

Everyone should know the Thirteenth Amendment....

But I may be biased....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:50 am

Estonut wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

Do you value the Ogi ATE or the PAF more? This is a slam-dunk Google. The first page of hits (10) ALL mention the thirteenth amendment. Since I don't know Ogi's familiarity with Constitutional Amendments, and he can't Google, I think I'd PAF the $25k and save Ogi for something more esoteric/less Googleable.
A Google PAF is more valuable, but especially so for totally off-the-wall questions, so I'd rather save that and use the ATE in this instance, had I not remembered the 13th. And had Ogi not remembered if it was the 13th or 14th, I trust that he could have supplied more details about the other choices (16th was income tax, 18th was women's sufferage, 11th was too early to be the emancipation amendment) to get it by process of elimination. And it's particularly nice to be able to use that process with the only lifeline that stops the clock!

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 am

sunflower wrote:The Constitutional Amendments were on my list of study items.
It needs to be on mine, if only for the "things I should know as an American" aspect. AmHist classes were long, long ago.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#9 Post by frogman042 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Estonut wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: I was looking for the Fourteenth Amendment, but thankfully, that wasn't a choice. I'll have to ask Ogi for confirmation on either B or C.

A Google PAF is more valuable, but especially so for totally off-the-wall questions, so I'd rather save that and use the ATE in this instance, had I not remembered the 13th. And had Ogi not remembered if it was the 13th or 14th, I trust that he could have supplied more details about the other choices (16th was income tax, 18th was women's sufferage, 11th was too early to be the emancipation amendment) to get it by process of elimination. And it's particularly nice to be able to use that process with the only lifeline that stops the clock!
19th Woman's Sufferage - 18 is prohibition and 21 repealed prohibition. I heard the trick on remembering the the 2 prohibition amendments is that it used to be OK to drink in many states at 18 but it was changed to 21 years old - so 18th ammendment bans alchohol and the 21st reinstates it. Woman's suffage is easy once you have that because just after the nation got sober, they realized, hey half the population doesn't have the right to vote - lets fix that. I also knew 13 for slavery because 13 is associated with bad luck and it was bad luck for the slave owners to have that ammendment.

I did miss a question in during my school days in American History because I didn't know what sufferage meant - I thought it had to do with suffering and I answered a question backwards about Woman's Sufferage - thinking it was a bad thing. I think it was the only question on the test I missed and as a result I never forget the definition. I'm a big fan of failure-driven learning.

---Jay

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 am

frogman042 wrote:19th Woman's Sufferage - 18 is prohibition and 21 repealed prohibition.
Oops!

I double-checked that last night, too! :oops:

While we're correcting errors, I better confess another error before Spelling Police get here: it's "suffrage". :oops:

Whether it's more properly "Woman's Suffrage" or "Women's Suffrage" is another issue. Google favors the latter, but the former still has considerable support. :wink:

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:37 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Me too -- I woulda said 14th without hesitation if it had been there.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:40 am

$100,000 (Antarctica): Although it has a research station there, which of these countries does not claim territory in Antarctica?
A. Russia B. Norway
C. Australia D. Chile
Thanks to the question writers not putting the 14th Amendment in as a distractor at 25K, I'm looking at $100,000 with all my lifelines, and I probably burn through all four to get it.

The audiience split is probably 25-25-25-25.

Ogi probably has an idea.

Since it's a "not" Q, PAF can probably eliminate at least one, anyway.

Finish off with DD after hearing from Ogi and PAF. I get 25K anyway.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Here's an article about Erin's appearance:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... /903180365
Jones was already a history buff prior to sending in an online application to appear on the show. She even met her now fiance, David Eichenstein, while playing trivia at a New York pub. She then was chosen in August to take a trivia test, along with 100 other contestant hopefuls, at the ABC studios in New York. She received a phone call to attend a show taping in October.
Good that she's a trivia buff, although there's no "choosing" by the APs to take the written test.
Jones said she plans to use her winnings to pay off student loans and toward a honeymoon vacation to an exotic island. Her wedding is planned for June 2010, she said.
Did they forget to mention the wedding hook on air? :shock:

tanstaafl2

#14 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:34 pm

It is amazing how well a lifeline can work when you have a real trivia expert in the role of trivia expert instead of a pseudocelebrity...

I know past winners don't always get it right when they serve as the expert but they seem to do a much better job overall.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

takinover

#15 Post by takinover » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Nihil Obstat®