WTG Big East Officials

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
NFL_Referee
Merry Man

WTG Big East Officials

#1 Post by NFL_Referee » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:50 pm

Watching the Pitt/WVU game. Nice effort in trying to keep one of your teams in the BCS title game.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:56 pm

No celebrating a TD allowed in the Big East apparently. Definitely a big upset for sure. What a year in college football.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:23 pm

kayrharris wrote:No celebrating a TD allowed in the Big East apparently. Definitely a big upset for sure. What a year in college football.
And I'm sure the BCS officials are going to have nightmares tonight, especially since it appears that OU is going to defeat Missouri. There ought to be a rule that if you aren't in your conference championship you can't be considered for the BCS national championship, but that could possibly happen, with Ohio State (no Big 10 championship game) and Georgia being the two that play for the trophy.

The prediction seems to be that OU will face Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl but I'm not sure how much of an audience that would draw outside of the Big XII.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

takinover

#4 Post by takinover » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:31 pm

earendel wrote: The prediction seems to be that OU will face Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl but I'm not sure how much of an audience that would draw outside of the Big XII.
I hear Arizona State (if they hang on) vs. OU in the Fiesta.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:54 pm

takinover wrote:
earendel wrote: The prediction seems to be that OU will face Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl but I'm not sure how much of an audience that would draw outside of the Big XII.
I hear Arizona State (if they hang on) vs. OU in the Fiesta.
I really doubt that the Fiesta Bowl will pick Arizona State. These bowls are all about getting fans into town and pumping up the local economy.

Plus, IIRC, with Kansas' position in the BCS standings, I believe that they will have to be picked for a BCS bowl. (oddly enough, the K-State Rule after they got gipped in 1998).
Last edited by Appa23 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheCalvinator24

#6 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:55 pm

I think LSU will go to the title game. The voters will take into consideration that LSU won their Conference and that Georgia didn't even win their Division. USC might have a shot at it, too.

My biased opinion is that OU is probably the best team in the country, but you get what you deserve when you lay an egg against Texas Tech. Even if Bradford hadn't gotten hurt, OU just didn't seem to be in that game.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:00 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:I think LSU will go to the title game. The voters will take into consideration that LSU won their Conference and that Georgia didn't even win their Division. USC might have a shot at it, too.

My biased opinion is that OU is probably the best team in the country, but you get what you deserve when you lay an egg against Texas Tech. Even if Bradford hadn't gotten hurt, OU just didn't seem to be in that game.
Yep, I would guess that LSU jumps all of the way up to #2. To separate out the 2-loss teams, you have to look at the teams that beat them. LSU does not have a loss against a terrible team (like OU's to Colorado) or a monumentally horrible team (like USC to Stanford). As league champion, they have to be ranked ahead of Georgia.

A loss may be a loss in some people's eyes, but I personally think that 3 OT losses are "better" losses (as college OT's are such a crapshoot sometimes, with teams not having to drive the length of the field.) (On second thought, seeing that Nebraska has never lost an OT game, and I do not believe have even surrendered a TD in OT, maybe it really is a sign of who is the better team. :lol: )

tanstaafl2

Re: WTG Big East Officials

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:07 am

NFL_Referee wrote:Watching the Pitt/WVU game. Nice effort in trying to keep one of your teams in the BCS title game.
As I recall, they called what was at best an iffy personal foul on WVU in the game so the poor officiating apparently was at least even handed.

Looks like Ohio State gets a chance to prove me wrong after WVU comes out tight and then does a great impression of Oregon when their QB goes down. Gutsy of the kid to come back but probably not a good decision on his part or the coaching staff.

I suspect LSU will get the nod as the #2 since they showed they could win a tough game without the #1 QB. I think along with both losses being overtime losses that sets them apart.

But a playoff sure would be nice because a lot of teams deserve a shot including OU and USC.

A shame Kansas doesn't get some consideration but they had a chance and couldn't pull it off. On any given day they could probably compete but I don't think that on average they are as good as a number of other teams. Maybe Kansas could get some form of redemption against OU if they go to the Fiesta but I just don't think they are any more ready for big boy football in the Big 12 than Missouri was.

Will be interesting to see if the Rose Bowl stays with tradition by picking the Illini or decides to break with it by taking Georgia. Speculation seems to be that they will go with the Illini as the Sugar will want Georgia. If the Sugar takes Hawaii that would be an interesting game as Georgia has proven vulnerable to a wide open passing attack at times. They would have to win it in the trenches by getting constant pressure on Brennan and being able to move the ball on the ground to keep Hawaii off the field. I could even see Georgia laying an egg in that one much as they did against WVU a few years back.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:I think LSU will go to the title game. The voters will take into consideration that LSU won their Conference and that Georgia didn't even win their Division.
Georgia will be cursed by their loss to the Gamecocks!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:33 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:I think LSU will go to the title game. The voters will take into consideration that LSU won their Conference and that Georgia didn't even win their Division.
Georgia will be cursed by their loss to the Gamecocks!
Whatever curse they suffer they fully deserve for that pitiful loss. No real business tanking against Tennessee either. But they looked awful. Could have been going into the SEC Championship undefeated, ranked #1 and with a good shot to beat a wounded Tiger.

But they didn't and don't deserve a shot at the mythical title as a result.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh