Transcript 3/20/2009 - Barbara Kopyta (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 3/20/2009 - Barbara Kopyta (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Barbara Kopyta
Glen Rock, NJ
Stay-at-home mom

Topic tree:
- As the Years Go By
- Prize Money
- Oscar Night
- Name's the Same
- Spin the Bottle
- Poor Yorick
- A Little Bit Country
- Sam I Am
- By the Numbers
- The Big Hurt
- Banned in the USA
- Relax!
- Rocket Ships
- Get Over It
- Now See Here

Barbara is a PTA president. She has two sons, Jeff, who's 12 and in the 7th grade, and Matt, who's 8 and in the third grade. They're excited about her appearance on Millionaire and have been telling all their friends, so Barbara feels a little pressure. They know exactly what they want if mom wins - a video game system. Mamma needs a new car and would love to set up a college fund for the boys. This could be a life-changing thing. Husband Jeff and Mom Dee are in the relationship seats. Barbara has all of her lifelines including Ask the Expert. Ogi Ogas finishes up the week as the expert.

$4K - In reference to his uniform number, "85," NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson legally changed his last name to what Spanish words?
A - Uno Quatro
B - Tres Diez
C - Dos Siete
D - Ocho Cinco
Spoiler
D - Ocho Cinco (23)
$8K - Samantha Ronson, who made headlines in 2008 as the love interest of Lindsey Lohan, holds what hipster job?
A - pro skateboarder
B - DJ
C - graphic designer
D - rock bassist
Spoiler
B - DJ (23)
$16K - Which of these countries comprises part of the economic union known as "Benelux"?
A - Belgium
B - Nepal
C - New Zealand
D - Belize

No sooner does Meredith finish reading the answers than Barbara decides to ask the audience, stopping the clock with 24 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 81%
B - 6%
C - 6%
D - 7%
Barbara goes with the audience's answer.
Spoiler
A - Belgium (22)
Afterward Meredith explains what Benelux stands for.
$25K - Shakespeare's Hamlet directs his famous "Alas, poor Yorick" speech to what character?
A - Laertes
B - Claudius
C - Horatio
D - Reynaldo

Barbara says she thinks she knows what it is but that's not good enough at this level, so she opts to ask the expert, stopping the clock with 18 seconds remaining.
Ogi's help
Ogi says that literature is solid ground. Ogi gets the question, then asks Barbara if she knows Shakespeare. Barbara says she does, and thinks the answer is Horatio but going for $25,000 she wants to be certain. Ogi says he think's that's right - it's definitely not Laertes or Claudius and he has no idea who Reynaldo is. He quotes the line: "Alas, poor Yorick, Horatio and Barbara adds, "...I knew him well."
(transcriptionist's note - both of them misquoted the line, which is, "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him,
Spoiler
Horatio
, a fellow of infinite jest."
Spoiler
C - Horatio (17)
commercial break

Barbara also wants to give back to her parents, to help them retire and be more comfortable.

Meredith mentions the next topic - Spin the Bottle - and asks Barbara if she remembers playing it. Barbara looks a little embarrassed as she laughs.
$50K - The indentation in the base of a wine bottle is commonly known as a what?
A - punt
B - charge
C - knoll
D - lute

Barbara doesn't know, so she decides to phone a friend, stopping the clock with 36 seconds remaining. On her PAF list are: Barbara's friend Kim from Glen Rock, NJ; her friend Steve, also from Glen Rock; and her brother Paul from Farmingdale, NY. Barbara opts to call her brother.
PAF conversation
When Paul finds out Barbara's going for $50K he says, "I wish you hadn't told me, now I'm nervous." Barbara reads the question and the four choices, then repeats the question. She knows it's to help with surface area. Just as the timer runs out Paul says, "I don't see anything, Barbara; I would say..."
(transcriptionist's note - it sounded as if Paul tried to say
Spoiler
"lute".)
The clock starts up again. Barbara asks if this is a free guess and when Meredith says it is, Barbara decides to go with the Double Dip, stopping the clock with 32 seconds remaining.
Double Dip choices
Barbara makes C her first final answer, but that's not correct. The clock starts up again and Barbara makes B her second final answer. That's not right, either.
Spoiler
A - punt (30)

Barbara leaves with $25,000.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 3/20/2009 - Barbara Kopyta (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:44 pm

$8K - Samantha Ronson, who made headlines in 2008 as the love interest of Lindsey Lohan, holds what hipster job?
A - pro skateboarder
B - DJ
C - graphic designer
D - rock bassist

[Obscure] Spoiler:
B - DJ (23)

Good thing I had the ATA at this point -- ugh!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:46 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K - The indentation in the base of a wine bottle is commonly known as a what?
A - punt
B - charge
C - knoll
D - lute

Barbara doesn't know, so she decides to phone a friend, stopping the clock with 36 seconds remaining. On her PAF list are: Barbara's friend Kim from Glen Rock, NJ; her friend Steve, also from Glen Rock; and her brother Paul from Farmingdale, NY. Barbara opts to call her brother.
PAF conversation
When Paul finds out Barbara's going for $50K he says, "I wish you hadn't told me, now I'm nervous." Barbara reads the question and the four choices, then repeats the question. She knows it's to help with surface area. Just as the timer runs out Paul says, "I don't see anything, Barbara; I would say..."
Spoiler
"lute".)
The clock starts up again. Barbara asks if this is a free guess and when Meredith says it is, Barbara decides to go with the Double Dip, stopping the clock with 32 seconds remaining.
Double Dip choices
Barbara makes C her first final answer, but that's not correct. The clock starts up again and Barbara makes B her second final answer. That's not right, either.
Spoiler
A - punt (30)

My (theoretical) Science PAF would have known this. She makes her own wine. Very good friend to have. :mrgreen:
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#4 Post by minimetoo26 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Damn. I'da had 50k and all my lifelines with this stack. A rarity for me....
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:23 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:Damn. I'da had 50k and all my lifelines with this stack. A rarity for me....
Good stack for me, too. Probably would have verified my thoughts on the Ronson occupation with an ATA, but all the other LLs would be intact going forward.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:43 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In reference to his uniform number, "85," NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson legally changed his last name to what Spanish words?
A - Uno Quatro
B - Tres Diez
C - Dos Siete
D - Ocho Cinco
Good to see that the SynBAM writers are stealing my questions again. :P

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=528#p5520

$25K: I have it between Laertes and Horatio, but I need to Double Dip to secure the guaranteed money.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - The indentation in the base of a wine bottle is commonly known as a what?
A - punt
B - charge
C - knoll
D - lute
This looks like a WWOQ®. Try the PAF and see if this is Googleable.

KillerTomato

#7 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:53 pm

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio. A fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy."

This, by the way, as you can see from the expanded quote above, is the source of the title of the late, great David Foster Wallace's magnum opus. If that hasn't been a question before (it does sound familiarish to me), given Mr. Wallace's death I predict it will be sometime this season.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Barbara Kopyta
Glen Rock, NJ
Stay-at-home mom
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Samantha Ronson, who made headlines in 2008 as the love interest of Lindsey Lohan, holds what hipster job?
A - pro skateboarder
B - DJ
C - graphic designer
D - rock bassist
Spoiler
B - DJ (23)
I was sure it was DJ before the answers were revealed, then when I saw "rock bassist" I had to stop and think.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Which of these countries comprises part of the economic union known as "Benelux"?
A - Belgium
B - Nepal
C - New Zealand
D - Belize

No sooner does Meredith finish reading the answers than Barbara decides to ask the audience, stopping the clock with 24 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 81%
B - 6%
C - 6%
D - 7%
Barbara goes with the audience's answer.
Spoiler
A - Belgium (22)
Afterward Meredith explains what Benelux stands for.
I attribute this to the clock more than anything else.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Shakespeare's Hamlet directs his famous "Alas, poor Yorick" speech to what character?
A - Laertes
B - Claudius
C - Horatio
D - Reynaldo

Barbara says she thinks she knows what it is but that's not good enough at this level, so she opts to ask the expert, stopping the clock with 18 seconds remaining.
Ogi's help
Ogi says that literature is solid ground. Ogi gets the question, then asks Barbara if she knows Shakespeare. Barbara says she does, and thinks the answer is Horatio but going for $25,000 she wants to be certain. Ogi says he think's that's right - it's definitely not Laertes or Claudius and he has no idea who Reynaldo is. He quotes the line: "Alas, poor Yorick, Horatio and Barbara adds, "...I knew him well."
(transcriptionist's note - both of them misquoted the line, which is, "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him,
Spoiler
Horatio
, a fellow of infinite jest."
Spoiler
C - Horatio (17)
Yes, this is one of the most often misquoted lines that I know of.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - The indentation in the base of a wine bottle is commonly known as a what?
A - punt
B - charge
C - knoll
D - lute

PAF conversation
Spoiler
"lute".)
Double Dip choices
Spoiler
A - punt (30)

I'm not sure where I learned this. Evidently Paul was attempting to Google (or do some other search) but couldn't pull it out in time.

I'd be going for $100K with all my lifelines still in play.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."