Transcript 3/20/2009 - Timothy Woodward

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 3/20/2009 - Timothy Woodward

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Timothy Woodward
North Billerica, MA
Writer

His first words are "This is amazing!" He's a game show junkie. He says that watching them he thinks "you can never be there" but now here he is.

Topic tree:
- Patently False
- Sweet Justice
- Word Is Born
- The Name Game
- R.E.M.
- No More!
- Big Words
- In the Kitchen
- All Things Montana
- Towering Above
- The High Court
- Up, Up and Awan
- Makeup Mishaps
- On the Web
- Yee-Haw!

$100 - Steer wrestling and calf roping are common events at what kind of competition?
A - swim meet
B - rodeo
C - cook-off
D - casting call for "The Bachelor"
Spoiler
B - rodeo (8)
$200 - As its name suggests, the primary goal of the popular Web site WebMD is to provide what?
A - fashion tips
B - health information
C - financial advice
D - recipes
Spoiler
B - health information (7)
Timothy says he uses this site frequently.

$300 - Women who wear excessive mascara often suffer from a look known as what?
A - trout lips
B - donkey ears
C - lizard nose
D - raccoon eyes
Spoiler
D - raccoon eyes (8)
Meredith says she has that occasionally.

$500 - In April 2007, a rocket carried into space the remains of James Doohan, the actor best known for playing Scotty on what TV series?
A - Star Trek
B - Hill Street Blues
C - Dallas
D - Gunsmoke
Spoiler
A - Star Trek (10)

Timothy says, "Beam me up!" as he gives his answer.
$1K - Which of these popular movies shares its title with a best-selling book about the U.S. Supreme Court?
A - Three Men and a Baby
B - White Men Can't Jump
C - Men in Black
D - Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Spoiler
C - Men in Black (4)
commercial break

Timothy has earned the Ask the Expert lifeline. Right after he received the call to be on the show he got a surprise. He was in Portland, OR, visiting a friend. They went out to celebrate with Chinese food; at the end of the meal his fortune cookie said "You are going to come into a lot of money." Timothy says he hopes there are lots of easy questions.

$2K - Fittingly, what world landmark boasts an architectural feature known as the Tsar's Tower?
A - Tower of London
B - the Kremlin
C - Taj Mahal
D - Parthenon
Spoiler
B - the Kremlin (24)
Meredith reads the category for the next question and says, "I don't know how much you know about Montana." Timothy
replies that it's one of the states he hasn't been to.

$4K - If she shared her name with the Montana state capital instead of the state itself, Hannah Montana would have what name?
A - Hannah Butte
B - Hannah Great Falls
C - Hannah Helena
D - Hannah Billings
Spoiler
C - Hannah Helena (22)
$8K - Which of these musical instruments shares its name with a handy kitchen tool used for slicing vegetables?
A - mandolin
B - lute
C - harmonica
D - timpani
Spoiler
A - mandolin (20)
Timothy says that his grandmother actually had one of these in her kitchen.

$16K - What media personality was described in his New York Times obituary as a "sesquipadalian spark of right"?
A - Art Buchwald
B - Hunter S. Thompson
C - Jerry Falwell
D - William F. Buckley, Jr.

Timothy doesn't know and decides to ask the audience, stopping the clock with 22 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 7%
B - 10%
C - 20%
D - 63%
It's a good number and it's what Timothy thought it was, so he goes with the audience's response.
Spoiler
D - William F. Buckley, Jr. (17)
commercial break

Meredith says it's obvious that he loves game playing. It's visible on his face. Meredith adds, "and making money ain't bad, either."

$25K - With no known cases in existence, what disease was officially declared eradicated by the World Health Organization in 1980?
A - smallpox
B - bubonic plague
C - polio
D - leprosy

Timothy ponders the question, then with 12 seconds on the clock he decides to ask the expert.
Ogi's helpful hint
Ogi says it's a tricky one. He asks what Timothy thinks. Timothy says he thinks it's polio because he knows bubonic plague is still around and he thinks he's seen a "House" episode about leprosy. He's also pretty sure smallpox is still around, too because he saw an episode of "ER". Ogi gently says that he'll have to disagree because he's pretty sure it's smallpox. He knows plague is still around and agrees that leprosy has been on TV. He adds that people get polio in India. He remembers hearing during the terrorist attacks that although smallpox had been eradicated they might bring it back. He finally says he's 100% sure - "money in the bank."
Timothy says Ogi is local to him - he knows where he lives. He chooses to go with Ogi's answer.
Spoiler
A - smallpox (8)

Meredith says, "Since you know where he lives, you better take him a bottle of champagne."

THE HORN!!!!!!!!

Timothy will be back after "Play to Pay for Your Wedding" Week.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 3/20/2009 - Timothy Woodward

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:51 pm

[quote="BBTranscriptTeam"]
$500 - In April 2007, a rocket carried into space the remains of James Doohan, the actor best known for playing Scotty on what TV series?
A - Star Trek
B - Hill Street Blues
C - Dallas
D - Gunsmoke
Spoiler
A - Star Trek (10)

Timothy says, "Beam me up!" as he gives his answer.
My all-time favorite Star Trek is on right now! Balance of Terror, featuring Spock's father in an earlier role. Probably one of his relatives.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

takinover

#3 Post by takinover » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:29 am

Nihil Obstat®

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:33 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:His first words are "This is amazing!" He's a game show junkie. He says that watching them he thinks "you can never be there" but now here he is.
<sigh>

I'd have needed to ATA the mandolin question.

Thousandaire

#5 Post by Thousandaire » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 am

My local station has an infomercial in place of WWTBAM on Fridays. How do they get away with that?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:35 am

Thousandaire wrote:My local station has an infomercial in place of WWTBAM on Fridays. How do they get away with that?

It's the recession. Everyone's cutting back.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Thousandaire

#7 Post by Thousandaire » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:38 am

This is the same station that refuses to settle with Dish Network. If it weren't for Jeopardy and WWTBAM, I wouldn't watch them at all (it's an ABC station so no great loss).

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Dang. Missed me by one town, then TPTB gives him a stack made for me. All LLs intact and going for $50K.

According to a news report, he was on J! in 2007 and won $70K on that ill-conceived show Paranoia. Must have been the only big winner on that one. Additional information here: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_11957359?IA ... ellsun.com
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:02 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 - As its name suggests, the primary goal of the popular Web site WebMD is to provide what?
A - fashion tips
B - health information
C - financial advice
D - recipes
E - a reason to file malpractice
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 - Women who wear excessive mascara often suffer from a look known as what?
A - trout lips
B - donkey ears
C - lizard nose
D - raccoon eyes
E - the Tammy Faye
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K - Which of these popular movies shares its title with a best-selling book about the U.S. Supreme Court?
A - Three Men and a Baby
B - White Men Can't Jump
C - Men in Black
E - Grumpy Old Men

Nihil obstat®
gsabc wrote:According to a news report, he was on J! in 2007 and won $70K on that ill-conceived show Paranoia. Must have been the only big winner on that one. Additional information here: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_11957359?IA ... ellsun.com
The article also says he writes questions for a Kenyan TV show, so this qualifies him as a What Else®.

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm

8K was a stumper for me. Had never heard of that utensil before. Hopefully the ATA would help. I did happen to know the 25K as well as the rest of these without having to use another lifeline.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Weyoun

#11 Post by Weyoun » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:35 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:8K was a stumper for me. Had never heard of that utensil before. Hopefully the ATA would help. I did happen to know the 25K as well as the rest of these without having to use another lifeline.
It kinda looks like a mandolin's body, in a metally sort of way.

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:58 am

Weyoun wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:8K was a stumper for me. Had never heard of that utensil before. Hopefully the ATA would help. I did happen to know the 25K as well as the rest of these without having to use another lifeline.
I've always thought of it as looking more like a zither.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:18 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
I've always thought of it as looking more like a zither.
The one I bought from Costco with a coupon looks similar to this one, except that mine has a rotating wheel with different blades, rather than 4 removable ones.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:50 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Timothy Woodward
North Billerica, MA
Writer

His first words are "This is amazing!" He's a game show junkie. He says that watching them he thinks "you can never be there" but now here he is.
Well, well - someone who likes game shows, who watches them and who's excited to be here. This is a refreshing change from the reluctant auditioner, financially needy contestants we've seen lately.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K - Which of these popular movies shares its title with a best-selling book about the U.S. Supreme Court?
A - Three Men and a Baby
B - White Men Can't Jump
C - Men in Black
Spoiler
C - Men in Black (4)
Somehow the image of the justices trying to play basketball strikes me as funny.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Timothy has earned the Ask the Expert lifeline. Right after he received the call to be on the show he got a surprise. He was in Portland, OR, visiting a friend. They went out to celebrate with Chinese food; at the end of the meal his fortune cookie said "You are going to come into a lot of money." Timothy says he hopes there are lots of easy questions.
How many times have we heard this story?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Which of these musical instruments shares its name with a handy kitchen tool used for slicing vegetables?
A - mandolin
B - lute
C - harmonica
D - timpani
Spoiler
A - mandolin (20)
Timothy says that his grandmother actually had one of these in her kitchen.
Only A and B make sense; I've never heard of either one of them. Do I DD or ATA? I'll go with ATA and hope for the best.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - With no known cases in existence, what disease was officially declared eradicated by the World Health Organization in 1980?
A - smallpox
B - bubonic plague
C - polio
D - leprosy

Timothy ponders the question, then with 12 seconds on the clock he decides to ask the expert.
Ogi's helpful hint
Ogi says it's a tricky one. He asks what Timothy thinks. Timothy says he thinks it's polio because he knows bubonic plague is still around and he thinks he's seen a "House" episode about leprosy. He's also pretty sure smallpox is still around, too because he saw an episode of "ER". Ogi gently says that he'll have to disagree because he's pretty sure it's smallpox. He knows plague is still around and agrees that leprosy has been on TV. He adds that people get polio in India. He remembers hearing during the terrorist attacks that although smallpox had been eradicated they might bring it back. He finally says he's 100% sure - "money in the bank."
Timothy says Ogi is local to him - he knows where he lives. He chooses to go with Ogi's answer.
Spoiler
A - smallpox (8)

Meredith says, "Since you know where he lives, you better take him a bottle of champagne."
No problem with this one - interesting, though, that Timothy gets his medical news from TV shows.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Timothy will be back after "Play to Pay for Your Wedding" Week.
:P
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:44 am

gsabc wrote:According to a news report, he was on J! in 2007 and won $70K on that ill-conceived show Paranoia. Must have been the only big winner on that one. Additional information here: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_11957359?IA ... ellsun.com
There's something false about his "you can never be there" statement when this is his third game show appearance in seven years. :|

tanstaafl2

#16 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:50 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Timothy Woodward
North Billerica, MA
Writer

$25K - With no known cases in existence, what disease was officially declared eradicated by the World Health Organization in 1980?
A - smallpox
B - bubonic plague
C - polio
D - leprosy

Ogi's helpful hint
Spoiler
A - smallpox (8)

By the by, while Ogi was perfectly correct that cases of wild polio still occur in India the country with the biggest ongoing problem, at least with regard to reported cases (who knows if there are unreported cases although it is certainly possible) is now Nigeria. India used to typically have the most but seemed to perhaps be making some progress until a recent setback in 2006/2007. In 2008 Nigeria had 806 cases while India reported 559. Generally there are more cases in sub saharan Africa than the Indian sub continent. Other countries reporting cases in 2008 included Pakistan, Uganda, Kenya, Afghanistan, Sudan, Benin, Angola, Togo, Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali, Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, DRCongo (the former Zaire), Nepal and Ethiopia.

It was also not that long ago that 5 cases were identified in the US in an Amish community in Minnesota.

Hope you have those vaccines up to date...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

themanintheseersuckersuit

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:14 am

A - smallpox
B - bubonic plague
C - polio
D - leprosy
About 12 years too late for Janet Parker
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.