What I'm reading

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
KillerTomato

What I'm reading

#1 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm only about halfway through, but I need to share:

"Three Bags Full" by Leonie Swann.

Originally published in Germany, it's a sheep detective story. The flock is surprised to wake up to find their shepherd with a spade in his heart, and set out to figure out whodunnit. Led by Miss Maple, the smartest sheep in the flock, probably the smartest in the town of Glennkill (in Ireland), maybe the smartest in the world, they eavesdrop (making sure to tell everything to Mopple the Whale, known as the Memory Sheep), investigate, and ruminate (get it?) over the crime, life as a sheep, the meaning of life and grass....

Even only halfway through, this may be one of the best books I've read in ages.

(And yes, I know I'm a sucker for offbeat mysteries. The evidence of Jasper Fforde, Janet Evanovich and others must have tipped you off.)
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

TheCalvinator24

#2 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:35 pm

Settling Accounts: Return Engagement

I'm a few years behind. I actually read about half of this one in short sessions at a Borders Bookstore. I checked it out from the library this time. My library doesn't have the next 2 in the series.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

otherindigo

#3 Post by otherindigo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:36 pm

Just stopping by to say hey.

I've been reading tons of action research proposals. I'll be glad to get back to my regular "fluff" books.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:41 pm

otherindigo wrote:Just stopping by to say hey.

I've been reading tons of action research proposals. I'll be glad to get back to my regular "fluff" books.
Good to see you! Image

May your reading material soon improve.
Last edited by Bob Juch on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otherindigo

#5 Post by otherindigo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Bob Juch wrote: Good so see you! Image

May your reading material soon improve.
That will be sometime at the end of the semester. I still have a group presentation, 20 page research proposal, and an action research presentation. Fun times.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#6 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book

It really, really works.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Rexer25 wrote:Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book

It really, really works.
So, what do Annie and Molly do after you're snoring?

lilyvonschtupp26

#8 Post by lilyvonschtupp26 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:13 pm

KT-

I'm adding it to my To Read list! It keeps growing.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#9 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:18 am

KT!!!

HI!!!!!!

:D :D :D

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:33 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Settling Accounts: Return Engagement

I'm a few years behind. I actually read about half of this one in short sessions at a Borders Bookstore. I checked it out from the library this time. My library doesn't have the next 2 in the series.
You sure are - The Grapple and In at the Death are out now. Since my library, like yours, is behind on acquiring these, I've been reading the latter book in installments when I'm at Borders. I'll buy it when it comes out in paperback (same for The Grapple).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:38 am

earendel wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:Settling Accounts: Return Engagement

You sure are - The Grapple and In at the Death are out now. Since my library, like yours, is behind on acquiring these, I've been reading the latter book in installments when I'm at Borders. I'll buy it when it comes out in paperback (same for The Grapple).
Luckily, my library got those in quickly. I just finished In at the Death last month.

I know Borders is welcoming about folks reading in the store, but trying to complete a book that long there is pushing it! :wink:

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I know Borders is welcoming about folks reading in the store, but trying to complete a book that long there is pushing it! :wink:
Not when you read as fast as I do. :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:22 am

earendel wrote: Not when you read as fast as I do. :mrgreen:
Is there some pop cultural meaning to the "Mr. Green" icon that I don't get? :?

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: Not when you read as fast as I do. :mrgreen:
Is there some pop cultural meaning to the "Mr. Green" icon that I don't get? :?
I have no idea - I just picked it from the list.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#15 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:29 am

Jeff just came home from his trip and gave me the book The Lost A Search for Six of Six Million which he said was incredibly good. It's good so far.

fuzzywuzzy

#16 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:30 am

Hiya, KT, How are you? :D

I am currently reading:

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

I am enjoying it! I am waiting for the new Patricia Cornwell to come out this month!

fuzzy

jsuchard

Good Book

#17 Post by jsuchard » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:29 am

As PSM mentioned above, I would suggest The Lost: A Search for Six in Six Million. I just finished it yesterday on the plane-trip home, and could hardly put it down during my 3-day trip [Damn meetings! Got in the way]

This is actually the only book I have read so far specifically about the Holocaust, but it is excellent. The author is a book reviewer and writer for the NY Times and other literary sources. He's in his mid-40s, and decided to try to track down what happened to his grandfather's eldest brother (and his wife and four daughters) in their Galacian hometown during WWII. The family knew that they had been "murdered by the Nazis", but didn't have any firm details.

The book is, therefore, a mixture of a detective story, family history, and memoir, where the author often contemplates (in a fantastically erudite fashion) the meaning of interpersonal relationships to family, to community, and to God (even though the author is pretty much a self-professed secularist).

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#18 Post by minimetoo26 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:37 am

Rexer25 wrote:Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book

It really, really works.
I will have to check that one out. I cut out yesterday's Jump Start and changed "the twins" to "Erin" and put it on the fridge. But she's been very good about the potty so I will cut her some slack this week about the bedtime.

Your avatar is waaay too cute! I just thought a whiny toddler tantrum was more "me", especially when coupled with the "more like mommy" bib...

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:40 am

I'm reading one of the Harry Turtledove alternate histories I missed along the way, In the Presence of Mine Enemies. I'm not finding enough time to get through it, lately.

With audiobooks, I just finished Scurvy: How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentlemen Solved the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail by Stephen Bown, and started Philippa Gregory's The Constant Princess. The latter is a historical novel about Catherine of Aragon, told from her perspective. I've previously listened to The Boleyn Inheritance, which continues the stories of Henry VIII's wives with Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard; it was quite enjoyable.

ladysoleil

#20 Post by ladysoleil » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:15 am

I'm rereading Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I decided I should really give the last book a fair shot because when I originally read it the ending pissed me off so much I wanted to hurl the book out a window.

I'm a little less bitter about it now. Yeah, it still irks me, but the initial rage has subsided enough that I've ceased to be cranky about it. If I ever should meet him I intend on giving him a piece of my mind, though. ;)

TheCalvinator24

#21 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:02 am

ladysoleil wrote:I'm rereading Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I decided I should really give the last book a fair shot because when I originally read it the ending pissed me off so much I wanted to hurl the book out a window.

I'm a little less bitter about it now. Yeah, it still irks me, but the initial rage has subsided enough that I've ceased to be cranky about it. If I ever should meet him I intend on giving him a piece of my mind, though. ;)
I loved the ending. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

starfish1113

#22 Post by starfish1113 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:33 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:Hiya, KT, How are you? :D

I am currently reading:

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

I am enjoying it! I am waiting for the new Patricia Cornwell to come out this month!

fuzzy
I LOVED this book! It is a non-fiction book that reads like a novel.

As for me, I'm reading Clarence Thomas's memoir, My Grandfather's Son. Still in Chapter 1. I'm amazed at the level of poverty that he (and his family, friends, etc...) had to endure. Regardless of what you think of him politicallly/philosphically, it's a tribute to him - and his grandfather, apparently - that he has risen to where he is.

mrkelley23

#23 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:40 pm

KT talked me into Jasper Fforde, and I'm on The Well of Lost Plots now.

Also picked up a collaboration between Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston that I'll start once I've finished that one.

Fforde is a little too cutesy with the puns for me to rave about, but the books are certainly readable and smile-inducing.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Catfish

#24 Post by Catfish » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:57 pm

starfish1113 wrote:
fuzzywuzzy wrote:Hiya, KT, How are you? :D

I am currently reading:

fuzzy
I LOVED this book! It is a non-fiction book that reads like a novel.

As for me, I'm reading Clarence Thomas's memoir, My Grandfather's Son. Still in Chapter 1. I'm amazed at the level of poverty that he (and his family, friends, etc...) had to endure. Regardless of what you think of him politicallly/philosphically, it's a tribute to him - and his grandfather, apparently - that he has risen to where he is.
Me three on TDITWC. I listened to it. I also recently listened to Larson's Thunderstruck, about another murder mystery and Marconi. In fact, I liked them both so much, I actually bought them rather than just borrowing them from the library. :shock:

I also agree with Marley about the Philippa Gregory audiobooks.

I just finished listening to The City of Falling Angels, by the author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, another book I listened to. TCOFA is about Venice, to where we plan to travel in 2012 upon my son's high school graduation. When he was 8, he told us he wanted to see Venice before it falls into the sea, so we made it a goal.

I'm reading with my eyes What is the What, about a Lost Boy from Sudan.

And I read a page a day of Don Quixote, via e-mail from here: http://www.dailylit.com

I also spend my day reading radiology journal articles, but not for pleasure.

Love,
Catfish

Chronic Diarrhea
Merry Man

#25 Post by Chronic Diarrhea » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:37 pm

Could someone slip me some of that reading material through the bathroom window? All I have nearby is the Classifieds section from June, and I've already read it 12 times....

And if you happen to have a gallon of Pepto, drop that by too.... Oooooooohhh!!!! :shock: