Owl Puke

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

Owl Puke

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:03 pm

I bought Emma Owl Puke for Christmas. It's a book that comes with Owl Puke and a Bone Sorting Tray.

I think that it's probably one of the strangest gifts that I have ever bought her.

mrkelley23

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 pm

This has become such a standard lab in schools that our school corporation buys owl "pellets" (that's what they're called in the catalogs) in bulk. It's a great learning experience for just about any age, and it's spawned a cottage industry of people who clomp through the woods looking for owl habitats, to hunt the pellets.

So if you're looking for a part-time job, PSM.... :D
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:18 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:This has become such a standard lab in schools that our school corporation buys owl "pellets" (that's what they're called in the catalogs) in bulk. It's a great learning experience for just about any age, and it's spawned a cottage industry of people who clomp through the woods looking for owl habitats, to hunt the pellets.

I will think about it ;)

The back of the box says that the pellet is "professionally collected and heat-sterilized for complete safety." I think that is how I prefer my pellets.

VAdame

#4 Post by VAdame » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:57 pm

Leah went to an Intergenerational Elderhostel on Life Sciences w/ my Mom when she was 9 or 10 -- they did the owl pellet dissection.

This always makes me think of the common misheard lyric in the Beach Boys' Help Me Rhonda -- "Since she put me down there's been owls pukin' in my bed....!"

Mom's been one of those "Hostile Elders" since she retired almost 20 years ago, and has done at least one intergenerational program with each grandchild.

More info on Elderhostel here:

http://www.elderhostel.org/programs/int ... efault.asp

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:40 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:This has become such a standard lab in schools that our school corporation buys owl "pellets" (that's what they're called in the catalogs) in bulk. It's a great learning experience for just about any age, and it's spawned a cottage industry of people who clomp through the woods looking for owl habitats, to hunt the pellets.

The Little Guy performed that lab last summer as part of his three-week Be A Scientist class. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson