Stickiness

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
eyégor
???????

#26 Post by eyégor » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:42 am

earendel wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
eyégor wrote:Therefore, I am being arbitrary & leaving the stickiasation of today's questions for some other beast( :) ) to remove.

If that were actually a word, I'm sure it's spelled wrong.....

lb13
Actually, the word is "stickification".
Stickification is from the post's point of view (I've been stickified)

Stickiasation is the mechanism that makes posts sticky (Perform some stickiasation on that LS post please, lb)

Plus, it is a word right here in my ESST handbuk

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#27 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 am

Stickonification? Stickerizery? Stickation?

I say, Inventor's Choice.

fantine33

#28 Post by fantine33 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:16 am

You can also remove the Announcement from Sunday's QOD. The only one who hadn't updated their answer was ne1410s, and I PMed him this morning.

Ritterskoop

#29 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 am

I vote we put the picture resizing info in the FAQs. It's been plenty of time for regulars; newer folks should visit that area anyway.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

peacock2121

#30 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:56 am

I ask that someone do what skoop voted for.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#31 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 pm

What LB and Skoop said.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

Re: Stickiness

#32 Post by tubadave » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:04 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Do the game threads really need to be stickied?

<snip>

Right now, the top of the Bored is a mess, and with LS starting today it would only get worse....

I guess I'm never really bothered by them because they don't take up nearly as much of my screen as they might for some....a widescreen monitor running at a fairly high resolution allows for plenty of room for Sticky threads. :)

I've been gradually removing some of the older Sticky threads from time to time as they've fallen into disuse or no longer seemed necessary. The game threads are a matter of preference, I guess, but even with multiple games running, if Sticky threads are limited only to the currently open questions (and maybe the practice of having multiple questions open in one game at the same time is avoided) then it shouldn't be that bad.

There's also the other type of thread that stays up top that you've occasionally seen is called an Announcement thread. The main difference between "Announcement" and "Sticky" is that Announcements stay above everything, even Sticky threads. Announcements will also appear at the top of every page of posts, not just the first page. I've typically reserved using those for when I've needed to convey important information about the Bored itself (i.e. change I've made, or if there's going to be downtime, or whatever.) I've also seen Announcements being used to notify everyone of a BB's appearance on a game show, which is an excellent way of making that information stand out.

As for posts that explain how to do certain things (like picture resizing) you can be sure that all of that sort of information is going to appear in a FAQ at some point in the not-too-distant future. Besides the rather large task that is gathering the information that needs to be included, there's also the matter of where to put it. And then I might hack the code so that the FAQ link up top points to my FAQ instead of the phpBB one (I would, of course, include the pertinent phpBB info in my FAQ.)

Anyhoo....that's all I have to say about that.

8)
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

minimetoo26

#33 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:30 am

Well, whatever you decide, please tell me where that "shrink pictures" sticky went! I must have been responsible for 2/3's of the views on that thing, and I change my avatar more often than my son changes his cat's litter box.

Only half joking, unfortunately. Gotta club the child too often for my liking....

minimetoo26

#34 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:32 am

Never mind. Found it. :D

a1mamacat

#35 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:58 am

the title of this thread is just too disturbing for this time of the morning :shock:
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!