Transcript 3/27/2009 - Nick Bird-Conliff and Anna Sears

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 3/27/2009 - Nick Bird-Conliff and Anna Sears

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Nick Bird-Conliff and Anna Sears
St. Louis, MO
High school sweethearts

Meredith thanks Brides.com and Flowers of the World for their partnership this week. Brides.com has helped provide engaged couples with things that they need for their wedding but can't afford - however today it's Nick who has the surprise. He didn't have any money when he worked up the nerve to propose, so he took Anna to a diamond mine. They spent the day but didn't have any luck; at the end, when they were in the gift shop Anna saw a quartz necklace that she liked. It only cost $6.00 so Nick bought it and gave it to her, asking, "Will you marry me?" Anna replied, "Yeah, sure." The surprise is that Nick has finally managed to get a ring for her. He had to guess at the size - it doesn't fit on her ring finger. Brides.com partnered with Kwiat and Nick and Anna can select whatever diamond and platinum wedding bands they want.

Topic tree:
- Frozen Solid
- Car Parts
- Billy Crystal
- The Royals
- Look What I Found!
- Dapper Duds
- White House Calling
- What's Your Beef?
- Raise a Glass!
- Touchy, Touchy
- Hop to It
- Do The Bustle
- Dot Com
- Gotta Wear Shades
- Par-tay!

$100 - By definition, a bachelorette party is held in honor of a woman who is about to become a what?
A - mother
B - college graduate
C - bride
D - drunken mess
Spoiler
C - drunken mess (7)
$200 - Doctors often advise patients to wear sunglasses for a few days following which of these medical procedures?
A - hip replacement
B - root canal
C - laser eye surgery
D - liposuction
Spoiler
C - laser eye surgery (8)
$300 - As its name suggests,the Web site 1040.com allows users to do which of the following online?
A - file taxes
B - book travel
C - find a job
D - rent a DVD
Spoiler
A - file taxes (7)
$500 - Traditionally, what member of a wedding party is in charge of "bustling" the bride's gown?
A - groom
B - maid of honor
C - best man
D - flower girl

Anna looks panicked as she says, "I don't know." She and Nick decide to ask the audience for help, stopping the clock with 6 seconds.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 0%
B - 93%
C - 3%
D - 4%
The couple wastes no time in going with the audience's response.
Spoiler
B - maid of honor (5)
$1K - Hoptimus Prime and Pure Hoppiness are two brands of what beverage?
A - wine
B - tea
C - beer
D - milk
Spoiler
Anna says that hops are found in beer, so they make that their final answer.
C - beer (8)
commercial break

Brides.com is holding a sweepstakes; two people can win a trip to Costa Rica.

Nick is the manager and Anna the assistant manager of a store that specializes in Halloween items. Their hair is normally blond but both of them have dyed it black. Meredith asks if they like to dress up; they do. Anna replies that Halloween is a big part of their relationship. They met as freshmen in high school when both were Trick-or-Treating. Meredith shows the audience a picture of them in costumes (from later) - she's a guitar and he's "playing" her. They had a long-distance relationship for a while but now they're together. They'd like to open their own Halloween store with a haunted house attached.

Nick and Anna have earned the fourth lifeline - Ask the Expert. Today's experts are former $25,000 Wedding Week winners Marla and Adam Bergh, from Madison, WI.

$2K - In a 2008 LA Times article, what gadget was criticized because its touch screen is hard for women with long fingernails to use?
A - TiVo
B - Blu-ray player
C - Xbox 360 console
D - iPhone
Spoiler
Anna says the iPhone is the only one with a touch screen.

D - iPhone (19)
$4K - Often used in wedding toasts, "May the road rise to meet you" is the opening to a traditional blessing of what country?
A - Greece
B - Ireland
C - France
D - Russia
Spoiler
Anna used to sing this song in choir. Nick isn't sure so Anna says to trust her.

B - Ireland (18)
$8K - What NBA star is named after an expensive type of beef?
A - Kobe Bryant
B - Shaquille O'Neal
C - LeBron James
D - Amari Stoudemire
Spoiler
Once again Anna takes the lead and says, "It's Kobe Bryant, after kobe beef. You've heard of that, haven't you, Nick?" He replies that it sounds vaguely familiar. She's positive, so Nick goes along with her.

A - Kobe Bryant (9)
$16K - In a historic phone call, what president said, "Hello Neil and Buzz. I am talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room"?
A - Dwight Eisenhower
B - John Kennedy
C - Lyndon Johnson
D - Richard Nixon
Spoiler
Anna asks, "When was the moon landing?" Nick says it's definitely not Kennedy because he was assassinated before the moon landing; Anna adds that he planned the effort. Nick is pretty sure it's either Johnson or Nixon and convinces Anna to use the Double Dip. The clock stops with 10 seconds left.
DD results
They make Johnson their first final answer, and that's wrong. The clock starts up and with 6 seconds left they make Nixon their second final answer.
Spoiler
D - Richard Nixon (6)
commercial break

Meredith doesn't want to embarrass them but she understands that Nick and Anna have unusual pet names for each other. They call each other by the names of different kinds of nuts, or just about anything edible, such as "peanuts", "cashews", "peapod" and "pecans". "Weird," Meredith replies, then adds, "it's adorable, it's sweet, it's odd."

$25K - In the 2008 "Sex and the City" movie, who designed the wedding dress in which Carrie makes her ill-fated trip down the aisle?
A - Vera Wang
B - Vivienne Westwood
C - Carolina Herrera
D - Marc Jacobs

Neither of them has any idea so they decide to ask the experts, stopping the clock with 19 seconds remaining.
ATE discussion
Meredith asks Adam and Marla if they feel confident. Adam replies, "Ask me after we've seen the question." Meredith feeds them the question. Marla is pretty sure she knows it. She eliminates Wang and Jacobs immediately, then adds, "I'm 99.9% sure that it's Vivienne Westwood." Marla looks to Adam for comfirmation, asking, "You saw the movie, didn't you?" He laughs and says no. Neither Nick nor Anna saw the movie either. Marla thinks the name was on the box and the designer may have been in the movie also. The call ends. Anna says that Marla sounded pretty confident, and if she's that confident she's probably right.

Anna says that none of their friends would know this, and Marla's been so smart in the past. They debate whether to go for it; Meredith tries to break in to remind them that the clock is ticking down. They finally agree on B as their final answer.

B - Vivienne Westwood (5)
commercial break

Meredith says that although Nick and Anna are all about Halloween and nightmares, this is a dream come true. She asks what the money means to them. Anna says that they live in an apartment on which the lease is about to expire and they have no idea where they are going. They don't have very much, either, in terms of household goods and such. They also know people in New York City as well as St. Louis, so getting everyone together for the wedding will require some help also.

Meredith asks how they intend to celebrate after the show; they intend to check out Halloween stores in the area.

$50K - On his historic expedition to North America in the 1790s, British explorer George Vancouver sighted which of these natural wonders?
A - Grand Canyon
B - Great Salt Lake
C - Mount St. Helens
D - Niagara Falls
Spoiler
Anna says that Vancouver is Canada, the Grand Canyon is in the southwest, and the Great Salt Lake is in Utah. They don't know where Mount St. Helens is. Anna makes the association of Vancouver with British Columbia, then adds,
"that's close to Niagara Falls, isn't it?" Nick seems to agree with her. He also says that Mount St. Helens is in Washington or Alaska or somewhere like that. Meredith reminds them that they still have one lifeline remaining but Anna doesn't want to use it, so they agree to make Niagara Falls their final answer.

C - Mount St. Helens (10)

THE HORN!!!!!!!!

Wedding Week comes to an end.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 3/27/2009 - Nick Berconliff and Anna Spears

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:54 pm

$4K: I've never heard of this blessing. I'll have to ask the audience.

$25K: Never saw this movie. I'll use the "experts", since they'll probably be useless later on in the game. Fortunately, Marla actually saw the movie, so I wouldn't have to spend another lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - On his historic expedition to North America in the 1790s, British explorer George Vancouver sighted which of these natural wonders?
A - Grand Canyon
B - Great Salt Lake
C - Mount St. Helens
D - Niagara Falls
Spoiler
Anna says that Vancouver is Canada, the Grand Canyon is in the southwest, and the Great Salt Lake is in Utah. They don't know where Mount St. Helens is. Anna makes the association of Vancouver with British Columbia, then adds,
"that's close to Niagara Falls, isn't it?" Nick seems to agree with her. He also says that Mount St. Helens is in Washington or Alaska or somewhere like that. Meredith reminds them that they still have one lifeline remaining but Anna doesn't want to use it, so they agree to make Niagara Falls their final answer.

I hope nobody ever asks these two dingbats for directions.

I'd be playing for $100,000 with PAF and DD.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:THE HORN!!!!!!!!

Wedding Week comes to an end.
Thank God! What a blah week this was: three $25,000-winning pairs, two $16,000-winning pairs, and a $4,000-winning pair.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Transcript 3/27/2009 - Nick Bird-Conliff and Anna Sears

#3 Post by ontellen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:08 pm

I just now watched this train wreck. Niagara Falls is in Vancouver, B.C.????????????????????

Some people don't derserve to breathe. This is a COMPLETE insult to Canadians.

Millionaire Fan

#4 Post by Millionaire Fan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 pm

They only gave away $111,000 this week. So far this is the second lowest amount they've given away this season. The lowest money they've given away this season was back in week 8. That week they only gave away $87,000

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:34 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - Traditionally, what member of a wedding party is in charge of "bustling" the bride's gown?
A - groom
B - maid of honor
C - best man
D - flower girl
One of the fun sets in BD's wedding photos was of this event. The entire group of bridesmaids got in on the act, not just the MoH. Everyone, including BD, is laughing in one picture, with the back of the gown lifted way up in the air. Lord knows what they were doing back there.

FTR, FotB had to ask what was going on when he saw the photos. Dad don't know nuthin' about no bustling before this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - What NBA star is named after an expensive type of beef?
A - Kobe Bryant
B - Shaquille O'Neal
C - LeBron James
D - Amari Stoudemire
The converse of this question is on my cellphone game. It gives the name, and asks what he's named after. I knew it anyway.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 am

ontellen wrote:I just now watched this train wreck. Niagara Falls is in Vancouver, B.C.????????????????????

Some people don't derserve to breathe. This is a COMPLETE insult to Canadians.
I"m sorry, Ellen. All Americans aren't this clueless.

Besides, George Vancouver might very well have sighted Niagara Falls, if he ever passed through Ontario. But by the 1790's it would have been in the role of an ordinary tourist, not as an explorer. :wink:

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Nick Bird-Conliff and Anna Sears
St. Louis, MO
High school sweethearts
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - Traditionally, what member of a wedding party is in charge of "bustling" the bride's gown?
A - groom
B - maid of honor
C - best man
D - flower girl

Anna looks panicked as she says, "I don't know." She and Nick decide to ask the audience for help, stopping the clock with 6 seconds.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 0%
B - 93%
C - 3%
D - 4%
The couple wastes no time in going with the audience's response.
Spoiler
B - maid of honor (5)
Twice in two days old-fashioned wedding customs prove to have fallen completely out of date.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - Often used in wedding toasts, "May the road rise to meet you" is the opening to a traditional blessing of what country?
A - Greece
B - Ireland
C - France
D - Russia
Spoiler
Anna used to sing this song in choir. Nick isn't sure so Anna says to trust her.

B - Ireland (18)
Just as an aside, this is the only time this week (that I can remember) in which the female member of the couple took the lead in answering questions.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - In a historic phone call, what president said, "Hello Neil and Buzz. I am talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room"?
A - Dwight Eisenhower
B - John Kennedy
C - Lyndon Johnson
D - Richard Nixon
Spoiler
Anna asks, "When was the moon landing?" Nick says it's definitely not Kennedy because he was assassinated before the moon landing; Anna adds that he planned the effort. Nick is pretty sure it's either Johnson or Nixon and convinces Anna to use the Double Dip. The clock stops with 10 seconds left.
DD results
They make Johnson their first final answer, and that's wrong. The clock starts up and with 6 seconds left they make Nixon their second final answer.
Spoiler
D - Richard Nixon (6)
It's a matter of knowing who was president in the year that the landing took place.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In the 2008 "Sex and the City" movie, who designed the wedding dress in which Carrie makes her ill-fated trip down the aisle?
A - Vera Wang
B - Vivienne Westwood
C - Carolina Herrera
D - Marc Jacobs

Neither of them has any idea so they decide to ask the experts, stopping the clock with 19 seconds remaining.
ATE discussion
Meredith asks Adam and Marla if they feel confident. Adam replies, "Ask me after we've seen the question." Meredith feeds them the question. Marla is pretty sure she knows it. She eliminates Wang and Jacobs immediately, then adds, "I'm 99.9% sure that it's Vivienne Westwood." Marla looks to Adam for comfirmation, asking, "You saw the movie, didn't you?" He laughs and says no. Neither Nick nor Anna saw the movie either. Marla thinks the name was on the box and the designer may have been in the movie also. The call ends. Anna says that Marla sounded pretty confident, and if she's that confident she's probably right.

Anna says that none of their friends would know this, and Marla's been so smart in the past. They debate whether to go for it; Meredith tries to break in to remind them that the clock is ticking down. They finally agree on B as their final answer.

B - Vivienne Westwood (5)
I would have had no idea, so it's time to break out a lifeline. This seems like a good one for ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - On his historic expedition to North America in the 1790s, British explorer George Vancouver sighted which of these natural wonders?
A - Grand Canyon
B - Great Salt Lake
C - Mount St. Helens
D - Niagara Falls
Spoiler
Anna says that Vancouver is Canada, the Grand Canyon is in the southwest, and the Great Salt Lake is in Utah. They don't know where Mount St. Helens is. Anna makes the association of Vancouver with British Columbia, then adds, "that's close to Niagara Falls, isn't it?" Nick seems to agree with her. He also says that Mount St. Helens is in Washington or Alaska or somewhere like that. Meredith reminds them that they still have one lifeline remaining but Anna doesn't want to use it, so they agree to make Niagara Falls their final answer.

At least Anna was able to associate Vancouver with British Columbia, even if she wasn't able to come within 2000 miles of locating it properly on the map. I believe the term "geonitwit" might apply here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Wedding Week comes to an end.
Thank heaven!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:48 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - In a historic phone call, what president said, "Hello Neil and Buzz. I am talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room"?
A - Dwight Eisenhower
B - John Kennedy
C - Lyndon Johnson
D - Richard Nixon
Spoiler
DD results
Spoiler
D - Richard Nixon (6)
It's a matter of knowing who was president in the year that the landing took place.
Yeah, but that was ancient history for this couple! :P

And I don't think they remembered what year that was, either.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:26 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$4K: I've never heard of this blessing. I'll have to ask the audience.
A - Grand Canyon
B - Great Salt Lake
C - Mount St. Helens
D - Niagara Falls
Spoiler

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
I think that anyone who has never heard of the Irish Blessing has forfeited the right to call anyone else a dingbat.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#10 Post by frogman042 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:45 am

Appa23 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$4K: I've never heard of this blessing. I'll have to ask the audience.
A - Grand Canyon
B - Great Salt Lake
C - Mount St. Helens
D - Niagara Falls
Spoiler

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
I think that anyone who has never heard of the Irish Blessing has forfeited the right to call anyone else a dingbat.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
Why did you omit the last line:
'And crush you like a gnat.'?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:48 am

Mike Stivic: You got me, Ma, Gloria and Joey.
Archie Bunker: Aw geez what a bunch that is: A meathead, A dingbat, a woman's lib and a bald headed kid.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.