Transcript 12/03/07 Richard Ellis

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/03/07 Richard Ellis

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Richard Ellis
Waxahachie, TX
Firefighter

$100 Citing its high soot levels, the American Lung Association ranked L.A. first in a 2007 list of U.S. cities with the worst what?
A. Crime rate
B. Income tax
C. Air quality
D. Chimney sweeps

$200 The “Rise ‘N Shine” is an IHOP menu offering served with all but which of the following?
A. Eggs
B. Bacon
C. Toast
D. Broccoli

$300 Because of the distinctive sounds they make to communicate, spotted hyenas are also known as what?
A. Gurgling hyenas
B. Laughing hyenas
C. Sneezing hyenas
D. Wailing hyenas

$500 Paddler Magazine is a bimonthly publication for enthusiasts of what/
A. Skiing & snowboarding
B. Hang gliding
C. Canoeing & kayaking
D. Mountain climbing

$1K Popularized by Jackie Kennedy in th 1960s, a “pillbox” is a style of what?
A. Pantsuit
B. Hat
C. High-heeled shoe
D. Wristwatch

commercial break

Since finding out that Richard was going to appear on “Millionaire,” his Lieutenant has started calling him “Millionaire Boy.”
When watching “Millionaire” or other programs at the firehouse, the Lieutenant will ask Richard, “Did you know that Millionaire Boy?”.

$2K What movie’s 2007 U.S. premier featured celebrities walking a green carpet?
A. Shrek the Third
B. Transformers
C. Live Free or Die Hard
D. Spider-Man 3

$4K In the standard version of the game “Risk,” what continent’s territories include Siberia, Kamchatka and Irkutsk?
A. Africa
B. Europe
C. Australia
D. Asia

$8K In urban slang, the term “hoopty” usually refers to an undesirable, run-down what?
A. Car
B. Pair of sneakers
C. Restaurant
D. Television

$16K Because it contains the enzyme papain, a paste made from meat tenderizer is often advised as a home remedy for what ailment?
A. Sunburn
B. Bee sting
C. Migraine headache
D. Toothache

$25K What is the name of MySpace’s president, who is included as the first “friend” for every new member?
A. Kevin Rose
B. Larry Page
C. Chad Hurley
D. Tom Anderson

commercial break

$50K In figure skating, which of these crowd-pleasing maneuvers requires two skaters?
A. Flying camel
B. Double axel
C. Death spiral
D. Layback spin

ATA
34% A. Flying camel
3% B. Double axel
31% C. Death spiral
32% D. Layback spin

Richard knows it’s not double axel. He’s thinking that the death spiral is where one person spins really fast. He’s not sure, so he decides to STQ.

STQ

$50K Named for the nineteenth-century French surgeon Jacques Lisfranc, the Lisfranc joint is located where in the body?
A. Neck
B. Hip
C. Foot
D. Wrist

PAF – Walt Friese, a friend of Richard’s wife, Kim. Walt has a degree in physiology

Walt does not know.

50/50 leaves B. Hip and C. Foot.

commercial break

Richard’s wife, Kim, would like to use some of the winnings to go on a cruise to Alaska. Richard laughs at that because “She never wants to go anywhere cold.”
Richard would like to get a motorcycle.

$100K Founded in 1865, what is the oldest continuously published weekly magazine in the United States?
A. The New Yorker
B. The New Republic
C. Parade
D. The Nation

Richard doesn’t know, so he decides to leave with $50K.

horn

Answers:
$100 C. Air quality
$200 D. Broccoli
$300 B. Laughing hyenas
$500 C. Canoeing & kayaking
$1K B. Hat
$2K A. Shrek the Third
$4K D. Asia
$8K A. Car
$16K B. Bee sting
$25K D. Tom Anderson
$50K C. Death spiral
$50K C. Foot
$100K D. The Nation

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 12/03/07 Richard Ellis

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:52 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K Named for the nineteenth-century French surgeon Jacques Lisfranc, the Lisfranc joint is located where in the body?
A. Neck
B. Hip
C. Foot
D. Wrist

PAF – Walt Friese, a friend of Richard’s wife, Kim. Walt has a degree in physiology

Walt does not know.

50/50 leaves B. Hip and C. Foot.
Dang. If a physiologist doesn't know, it's an easy google.

But I'd have been unhappy with this stack from $8K on. :(

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 am

$8K: I'm embarrassed to say that I've never heard this word before. ATA.

$16K: PAF and hope for the best.

$50K: I got this one right through logic.

$50K #2: I'm glad I never would've seen this question. I would've said the hip.

$100K: "New Yorker" has been around only since the 1920s, so that's wrong. I knew "The Nation" has been around since the 1800s, but didn't know how far back it went. STQ and hope for something better.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Richard Ellis
Waxahachie, TX
Firefighter
I confess I peeked at Pea's spoiler and hoped he would go far.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $500 Paddler Magazine is a bimonthly publication for enthusiasts of what/
A. Skiing & snowboarding
B. Hang gliding
C. Canoeing & kayaking
D. Mountain climbing
How about "E - sadomachism"? :twisted:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $4K In the standard version of the game “Risk,” what continent’s territories include Siberia, Kamchatka and Irkutsk?
A. Africa
B. Europe
C. Australia
D. Asia
Along with Middle East, Ural, Yakutsk, China, Japan, Mongolia, Siam, Afghanistan and India
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K What is the name of MySpace’s president, who is included as the first “friend” for every new member?
A. Kevin Rose
B. Larry Page
C. Chad Hurley
D. Tom Anderson
I may be the only person left in the world who hasn't ever been on MySpace - never had an account, never visited anyone else, etc. So I have no clue on this one and thus it's time to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K In figure skating, which of these crowd-pleasing maneuvers requires two skaters?
A. Flying camel
B. Double axel
C. Death spiral
D. Layback spin
elwing's favorite part of the Winter Olympics is the figure skating, so I knew this one. I'm surprised that the audience distribution was so even.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Richard knows it’s not double axel. He’s thinking that the death spiral is where one person spins really fast. He’s not sure, so he decides to STQ.
I don't know if he should have used STQ or PAF, but at least he didn't use the 50/50 and then another lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K Named for the nineteenth-century French surgeon Jacques Lisfranc, the Lisfranc joint is located where in the body?
A. Neck
B. Hip
C. Foot
D. Wrist
Good thing I wouldn't have seen this one because I would have had no idea. Wikipedia says it's also known as "tarsometatarsal articulation".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: PAF – Walt Friese, a friend of Richard’s wife, Kim. Walt has a degree in physiology

Walt does not know.

I'm surprised that Walt didn't know this, having a degree in physiology.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: 50/50 leaves B. Hip and C. Foot.
OK, I've got to comment on something here. I don't know whether it's my imagination or not, but it seems that quite often lately the answer to the STQ has been the same as the answer to the original question - in this case, "C" was the answer to both. And I believe it has been for several other contestants recently.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100K Founded in 1865, what is the oldest continuously published weekly magazine in the United States?
A. The New Yorker
B. The New Republic
C. Parade
D. The Nation
No idea, but unlike Richard, I'd have three lifelines available. I'd probably PAF on this one, figuring it would be an easy Google.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

kusch

#5 Post by kusch » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 am

$50K In figure skating, which of these crowd-pleasing maneuvers requires two skaters?
A. Flying camel
B. Double axel
C. Death spiral
D. Layback spin

I am surprised with the split ATA. I did know this one and I would think that some of the audience saw the movie--Blades of Glory. :lol:

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:26 am

Easy stack until $100,000.

Would STQ, as ATA likely is worthless in third tier.

I can recall hearing on ESPN that some athlete was having an issue with the Lisfranc joint in his foot. (although maybe it is one of those false memories)

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 pm

8K: I figured it wasn't restaurant or TV, & probably was car, but I'd ATA here. I have never heard this term in my life.

16K: logic gave the right answer, but its so weird I'd 50/50 "to be sure".

25K: PAF

50K: Bolero! The Death Spiral (I kinda thought at the time it was The Sex Spiral, but whatever).

STQ 50K; say its my 100K: No idea. I'd STQ this one.

100K: Say its my 250K: I got it right, but would not have had the guts to go for it without backup.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:57 am

Here's an article about Richard's appearance:

http://www.waxahachiedailylight.com/art ... onaire.txt

7yrscollegedownthedrain

#9 Post by 7yrscollegedownthedrain » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:01 pm

had hopes for this guy, as my son is also a fireman in TX - he was doing well until the figure skating Q
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...