Fanny, about today's QoD bonus (no spoiler)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Fanny, about today's QoD bonus (no spoiler)

#1 Post by gsabc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:59 pm

FYI, there are at least two major brands of the type of wine you describe, though AFAIK only one that fits the clue. And there are a fair number of real wineries nowadays that make kosher wines that actually taste like wine. A cousin-in-law's family owns a group of local liquor stores, so he'd bring some to every Passover seder. Most are surprisingly good.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

fantine33

Re: Fanny, about today's QoD bonus (no spoiler)

#2 Post by fantine33 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:09 pm

gsabc wrote:FYI, there are at least two major brands of the type of wine you describe, though AFAIK only one that fits the clue. And there are a fair number of real wineries nowadays that make kosher wines that actually taste like wine. A cousin-in-law's family owns a group of local liquor stores, so he'd bring some to every Passover seder. Most are surprisingly good.
You mean I was keeping kosher all those years I was guzzling down the Night Train and the Thunderbird? L'Chaim!

Disclosure: I only occasionally dabbled in the rotgut. My guzzle of choice was T.J. Swann's Easy Nights. $1.29 a bottle and worth every cent! Although Annie Greenspring sounds kind of Jewish...ha!

VAdame

#3 Post by VAdame » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:14 pm

Disclosure: I only occasionally dabbled in the rotgut. My guzzle of choice was T.J. Swann's Easy Nights. $1.29 a bottle and worth every cent!
Awwww....I never could stand white wine (rotgut or not) but loooovvvveeed the red stuff. T.J. Swann's Mellow Days was my poison of choice :lol:

I haven't bought booze in 26 years -- do they still make that?

My Leah turned 21 yesterday -- after dinner at her favorite Indian restaurant, she stepped over to the bar & bought a 6-pack of beer to take home. It's still sitting in the basement fridge, untouched :shock:

I don't know if I'll ever tell her about Mellow Days!

fantine33

#4 Post by fantine33 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:15 pm

VAdame wrote:
Disclosure: I only occasionally dabbled in the rotgut. My guzzle of choice was T.J. Swann's Easy Nights. $1.29 a bottle and worth every cent!
Awwww....I never could stand white wine (rotgut or not) but loooovvvveeed the red stuff. T.J. Swann's Mellow Days was my poison of choice :lol:

I haven't bought booze in 26 years -- do they still make that?

My Leah turned 21 yesterday -- after dinner at her favorite Indian restaurant, she stepped over to the bar & bought a 6-pack of beer to take home. It's still sitting in the basement fridge, untouched :shock:

I don't know if I'll ever tell her about Mellow Days!
I was trying to remember what the Day version was called and it was making me mad that I couldn't. I have no idea if they still make it, I stopped drinking when I was 20. Although I must say that I have kind of a nostalgic hankering for cheap apple wine now.

We used to drink Tickled Pink as well, but I can't remember who
made that. Tickled Pink mixed with Sloe Gin. I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:11 am

fantine33 wrote:Although I must say that I have kind of a nostalgic hankering for cheap apple wine now.
Ah...Boone's Farm. When we didn't get the Mogen David, this was the beverage of choice, either apple or strawberry.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

TheCalvinator24

#6 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:10 am

earendel wrote:
fantine33 wrote:Although I must say that I have kind of a nostalgic hankering for cheap apple wine now.
Ah...Boone's Farm. When we didn't get the Mogen David, this was the beverage of choice, either apple or strawberry.
Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. WORST HANGOVER EVER! And I didn't even have to wait until the next day. I got a headache about 3 hours after I drank it.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:16 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
earendel wrote:
Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. WORST HANGOVER EVER! And I didn't even have to wait until the next day. I got a headache about 3 hours after I drank it.
I managed to avoid hangovers, mostly because I drank the least - back in the day I was often the designated driver, long before that term was created. But one of my friends, whom we called "Beef", did often get headaches only a couple of hours after imbibing the said beverage.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:24 am

earendel wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
earendel wrote: Ah...Boone's Farm. When we didn't get the Mogen David, this was the beverage of choice, either apple or strawberry.
I managed to avoid hangovers, mostly because I drank the least - back in the day I was often the designated driver, long before that term was created. But one of my friends, whom we called "Beef", did often get headaches only a couple of hours after imbibing the said beverage.
I was "loose as a goose on Mateus" myself.

Two reasons why Jewish men can't party and can't drink:
1. Their first party is their briss.
2. Their first alcoholic drink is Manischewitz Concord Grape Passover wine.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:40 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.
LOL, No comment, Boomer memories.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#10 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:07 am

I actually looked for Boone's Farm Kountry Kwencher last month while shopping for wine in Mayberry. Alas, it wasn't there. But they had Boone's Farm Blue Hawaii. And it was blue. Electric blue.

I couldn't even buy it as a joke to put in with the other Thanksgiving wine, as I had planned...
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#11 Post by cindy.wellman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 pm

I've been to two separate wine auctions, where even though there were some VERY expensive wines available, the ones that received the most, and highest bids were the cheapy ones. Boone's Swan MD or the boxed stuff went for high dollar amounts They were charity events and I'm wondering if this is a common joke that occurs at such events.