Trivia Bowl IV

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
KillerTomato

Trivia Bowl IV

#1 Post by KillerTomato » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 pm

Yesterday was our Pub Trivia league's 4th TriviaBowl. I thought you'd like a taste of some of the questions...I'll tell you how we did at the end (just to make you read it!).

The quick rules: In each quarter, you are first given the categories, then the questions, one at a time. You submit your answers to the questions individually, and assign a point value to your answer (from 1 to 5). Each point value can only be used one time per quarter, for a total of 15 points per quarter. If you get all 5 questions in the quarter right, you get a bonus of 5 points, making each quarter worth a maximum of 20 points.

The halftime question is scored by 2 points for each right answer given (a maximum of 8 for the main question). Bonus points may be awarded (and were during the Trivia Bowl). The final question is just like a fastest finger. You may wager between 0 and 25 points (unless you have less than 25 points going into the final, in which case you can wager up to all of the points you have).

I'll post the answers to these later this evening, as a spoiler. Enjoy!

First Quarter

1. Movies: In what movie did Tom Hanks make his screen debut?
2. Mottos: Whose motto is "Citius Altius Fortius"?
3. Space: What was the name of the spacecraft that John Glenn used when he became the first American to orbit the earth?
4. Science: Which is the only letter not used on the periodic table?
5. Companies: In which New York city did the first Woolworth open?

Second Quarter

1. Sports: What major league baseball team was sold in by the owner of Dominos to the owner of Little Caesar's in 1992?
2. TV: The Simpsons began as a series of shorts on what other show?
3. Geography: What country makes up the southern shore of the Caspian Sea?
4. Food and Drink: What is the chief spice used in Hungarian cooking?
5. Hollywood: What actress was teh first woman to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

HALFTIME:

Category: Presidents and the Super Bowl

Name the 4 colleges or universities that have graduated BOTH a President of the US AND a Super Bowl-winning Quarterback. For 2 bonus points each, who were the presidents and QBs?

Third Quarter

1. Medicine: What does the medical specialty of NOSOLOGY entail?
2. Know Your Cash: Within 5 years either way, in what year did the US begin putting watermarks on their paper currency? (2 bonus points if you get it on the nose.)
3. Spelling: Spell "ID-EE-OH-SINK-RA-SEE"
4. Travel: The highest active volcanoes in the world are located on what continent?
5. Music: Which Michael Jackson album produced the most #1 singles?

Fourth Quarter

1. Language: What Southeast Asian language has the most characters (72) in its "alphabet"?
2. Breakfast: What was the first cereal made by General Mills using its new "puffing gun" in 1937?
3. Grab Bag: What is the second most traded commodity in the world, after oil?
4. Famous Firsts: In which state were the first long-distance phone cards made available?
5. Famous Quotes: On the Statue of Liberty, the inscription describes "huddled masses yearning to" what?

FINAL QUESTION:

Category: Census 2000

The year 2000 was the first in which people were allowed to include their ancestry. For all persons in the US who categorized themselves as "White," put these nationalities in order by the number of people who claimed them as their ancestry:

Irish
German
Italian

So...going into the final question, we were tied for second place, with a whopping 39 points (out of a possible 96!), trailing the leaders by just 4 points. We decided to just say "what the f***" like Joel and Booger (you did see "Risky Business," right?)....and bet the maximum of 25 on our answer.

Only two teams got the final question right. Us.....and the team in first.

BUT....they wimped out, because they weren't sure of their answer. So we ended up the NEW TRIVIA BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!! We get our name on a trophy and everything....Oh, and the three of us split $200. So that was good too! :-)
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

slam

#2 Post by slam » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:55 pm

The final question became a lot easier after watching Jeopardy! two weeks ago and seeing the Final Jeopardy! in this game:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2192

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Trivia Bowl IV

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Spoiler
Whose motto is "Citius Altius Fortius"?
The Olympics

Which is the only letter not used on the periodic table?
both J and Q are not used

The Simpsons began as a series of shorts on what other show?
"The Tracy Ullman Show"

3. Geography: What country makes up the southern shore of the Caspian Sea?
Iran

4. Food and Drink: What is the chief spice used in Hungarian cooking?
Paprika

5. Hollywood: What actress was teh first woman to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
Carole Lombard

Name the 4 colleges or universities that have graduated BOTH a President of the US AND a Super Bowl-winning Quarterback. For 2 bonus points each, who were the presidents and QBs?
Michigan (Gerald Ford, Tom Brady); Navy (Jimmy Carter, Roger Staubach); Stanford (Herbert Hoover, John Elway and Jim Plunkett)... and the fourth is not coming to me

Spell "ID-EE-OH-SINK-RA-SEE"
idiosyncracy

5. Music: Which Michael Jackson album produced the most #1 singles?
"Thriller"

3. Grab Bag: What is the second most traded commodity in the world, after oil?
Tea

5. Famous Quotes: On the Statue of Liberty, the inscription describes "huddled masses yearning to" what?
breathe free

The year 2000 was the first in which people were allowed to include their ancestry. For all persons in the US who categorized themselves as "White," put these nationalities in order by the number of people who claimed them as their ancestry
Italian, Irish, German

KillerTomato

Re: Trivia Bowl IV - ANSWERS

#4 Post by KillerTomato » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Spoiler

First Quarter

1. Movies: In what movie did Tom Hanks make his screen debut? It wasn't "Splash" or "Big," but a low-budget slasher flick called "He Knows You're Alone". Nobody got this.
2. Mottos: Whose motto is "Citius Altius Fortius"? The Olympics.
3. Space: What was the name of the spacecraft that John Glenn used when he became the first American to orbit the earth? Friendship 7. Bad luck for us...we went with Freedom 7.
4. Science: Which is the only letter not used on the periodic table? We were torn between "J" and "Q". Curiously, neither is used in any 2-letter elemental symbol...but there are a number of "un-named" elements whose symbols start with "Uu" and end with another letter. And while there is no "Uuj"...there IS a "Uuq". So the correct answer is "J".
5. Companies: In which New York city did the first Woolworth open? Our quizmaster gave the right answer to this as "Buffalo," but I can't find any verification of that. I did find on Wikipedia that it's actually Utica, but that store folded after about a year, and his second store, located in Lancaster, PA, was really the "start" of the company. Regardless, nobody said either Buffalo or Utica, but we were kinda close with our guess of Rochester.

Second Quarter

1. Sports: What major league baseball team was sold in by the owner of Dominos to the owner of Little Caesar's in 1992? Our sports guy was positive it was a west-coast team. So obviously, Detroit is now on the west coast. It was the Tigers.
2. TV: The Simpsons began as a series of shorts on what other show? The only "mosh-pit" of the game (that's our phrase for a question that everybody gets right...don't ask me why!). "The Tracy Ullman Show".
3. Geography: What country makes up the southern shore of the Caspian Sea? After a slight argument over whether the Black Sea or the Caspian is further west, we settled on Kazakhstan (which is actually the NORTHERN shore). The right answer was Iran.
4. Food and Drink: What is the chief spice used in Hungarian cooking? I couldn't believe this wasn't a mosh-pit, but somebody actually said "Cumin". It wasn't us...we got it right with Paprika.
5. Hollywood: What actress was teh first woman to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? It helps to know that the Walk was started in 1960 (!)...we figured it was the '20s, and went with Mary Pickford. Everyone else was in the same boat (votes for Theda Bara, Lillian Gish, and Shirley Temple)....but it was actually Joanne Woodward!

HALFTIME:

Category: Presidents and the Super Bowl

I really liked this question...you couldn't get it with just sports knowledge...or with just history knowledge. Showed that this game is all about TEAMWORK.

We got three of the schools right...and two of the Prez/QB pairs, for a total of 10 points. I was pleased!

Michigan (Gerald Ford and Tom Brady)
Stanford (Herbert Hoover and either John Elway or Jim Plunkett)
Navy (Jimmy Carter and Roger Staubach)
and (believe it or not!)
Miami of Ohio (Benjamin Harrison and Ben Roethlisberger)

(We got Michigan and Navy with the prez/QB pairs, and Stanford without. Our fourth school guess was Texas...)

Third Quarter

1. Medicine: What does the medical specialty of NOSOLOGY entail? Not even the 2 nurses who play in the league knew that this was the science of classifying diseases.
2. Know Your Cash: Within 5 years either way, in what year did the US begin putting watermarks on their paper currency? (2 bonus points if you get it on the nose.) We came close...we guessed 1997, but the right year was 1996.
3. Spelling: Spell "ID-EE-OH-SINK-RA-SEE" Crashed and burned on what we thought was a 5-point sure thing. We said "Idiosyncracy," but that last "c" is really an "s": I-D-I-O-S-Y-N-C-R-A-S-Y.
4. Travel: The highest active volcanoes in the world are located on what continent? We came up with South America fairly easily, which was right.
5. Music: Which Michael Jackson album produced the most #1 singles? We got incredibly lucky by guessing "Bad" over the more obvious "Thriller".

Fourth Quarter

1. Language: What Southeast Asian language has the most characters (72) in its "alphabet"? We went with Thai over the right answer of Cambodian.
2. Breakfast: What was the first cereal made by General Mills using its new "puffing gun" in 1937? Who knew? OK, ONE team knew...but it wasn't us. It wasn't Puffed Rice or Puffed Wheat...it was Kix!
3. Grab Bag: What is the second most traded commodity in the world, after oil? Another blank out. We went sugar, but nobody got the right answer of Coffee. Best answer: Somebody must have just seen "Trading Places," and guessed "Frozen Orange Juice."
4. Famous Firsts: In which state were the first long-distance phone cards made available? Makes sense...it's Hawaii.
5. Famous Quotes: On the Statue of Liberty, the inscription describes "huddled masses yearning to" what? Oh, the humanity! As soon as we turned in our answer of "...be free," I remembered it was "BREATHE free". Sigh.

FINAL QUESTION:

Category: Census 2000

The year 2000 was the first in which people were allowed to include their ancestry. For all persons in the US who categorized themselves as "White," put these nationalities in order by the number of people who claimed them as their ancestry:

Irish
German
Italian

I wish I'd written down the percentages for these, but (as I said previously), we got lucky (thanks to a recent J! game!) with our answer of:

1. German
2. Irish
3. Italian

There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 am

Congrats, KT!

Martian wagering rules! :)

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:58 am

The highest active volcanoes in the world are located on what continent?
Poorly worded question! Does it ask for highest above sea level or above the base of the mountain? There are a couple in Hawaii that are highest above their undersea base.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

KillerTomato

#7 Post by KillerTomato » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:20 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
The highest active volcanoes in the world are located on what continent?
Poorly worded question! Does it ask for highest above sea level or above the base of the mountain? There are a couple in Hawaii that are highest above their undersea base.

Sorry, I was paraphrasing. He did specify "highest elevation," rather than tallest from their base.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll