Transcript 4/8/09 - Geoffrey Sant (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/8/09 - Geoffrey Sant (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Geoffrey Sant
New York, NY
Translator/Writer

Geoffrey and his wife, Vivian (who is in the audience), were married about a year ago at City Hall, but he still owes her a ring. When he proposed in Central Park, he just gave her a picture of the ring he wanted to buy her. Geoffrey has $25,000, and two lifelines (PAF and ATE) remaining. The expert today is the managing editor of Rolling Stone Magazine, Will Dana.

Geoffrey's category tree:

We the People
Benchwarmers
Clean Jokes
Payday
Ahoy, Matey
(Classic Erotica)
(The Last Frontier)
(Spike Lee)
(Net Gains)
(Mae Day)
(Green Thumb)
(SNL)
(Cin' City)
(Phoning It In)
(Per-Plexed)

$50,000 (Ahoy, Matey): In pirate lingo, what does it mean to "splice the mainbrace"?
A. Attack an enemy B. Clean the deck
C. Have a drink D. Raise a sail

Geoff thinks he knows, but it's not something he wants to risk with lifelines left, so he chooses to PAF (12). Standing by are his brother, Chris (Los Angeles, CA); friend, Afua (New York, NY); and brother, Dave (North Easton, MA). Geoff decides to call Dave.

Geoff starts off with the quoted phrase and asks what it means (after spelling "splice" and "mainbrace", there are 16 seconds left). Dave responds, but his answer is unintelligible, breaking up when he uses a speakerphone. With 9 seconds, Geoff tells him to pick up the phone, and with 6 seconds we hear the word
Spoiler
drink
followed by Dave picking up the phone and saying
Spoiler
"whatever the one was with the drink, 100%"
as time runs out. Geoff, gives the "whew" sound and gesture, and goes with his brother.
Spoiler
C. Have a drink (4)

Meredith indicates that it means "have another round of rum for the men."
$100,000 (Payday): In July of 2008, the federal minimum wage was raised to an hourly rate of what?
A. $6.35 B. $6.55
C. $6.75 D. $6.95

Geoff says he knows it's something "a little over $6, but that doesn't help much". He opts to ATE (26).

Will says he's pretty sure it's either
Spoiler
$6.75
or
Spoiler
$6.95.
, but he's not positive. After musing about which to guess, he says he's leaning towards the latter, but it's a guess. Geoff asks whether Will will hire him to translate something for Rolling Stone if he's wrong...to which Will jokes, "At the lowest minimum wage, yeah."

Geoffrey decides to walk with $50,000 (6)
Spoiler
B. $6.55 (6)

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

Re: Transcript 4/8/09 - Geoffrey Sant (carryover)

#2 Post by sunflower » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Ooh good question on the minimum wage...I stare at our labor posters every day next to the elevator at work and I still didn't remember that one. I'm sure a lot of people know it, but a lot of people would also be kicking themselves knowing they should know it but don't.

But...how perfectly Google-able!

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 4/8/09 - Geoffrey Sant (carryover)

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:51 am

No problem on $50K.

$100K: I knew it was between $6.50 and $6.75... but of course, the writers stick in two choices that fit my range. DD on $6.55 and $6.75. Honestly, there was no excuse for me not to get this answer immediately and without a lifeline. I should've remembered that the minimum wage would increase from $5.15 to $7.25 in annual 70-cent increments.