Heroes (spoilers)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Heroes (spoilers)

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:25 am

Spoiler
Poor Micah--he lost his dad, now he's lost him mom. (Or will Niki/Jessica miraculously emerge unscathed from that explosion?) But doesn't he have to touch the machines to talk to them? How did he communicate with the traffic lights--through his cell phone?

Neat trick Hiro pulled, bamfing into the coffin with Adam, them bamfing out without him. But if Adam really can't die, that leaves him a lot of time to try to claw his way out...

And I was expecting Nathan to get shot at the press conference. Right when he's finished the metaphorical boilerplate and was about to get into specifics, too...

earendel

Re: Heroes (spoilers)

#2 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:31 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
Poor Micah--he lost his dad, now he's lost him mom. (Or will Niki/Jessica miraculously emerge unscathed from that explosion?) But doesn't he have to touch the machines to talk to them? How did he communicate with the traffic lights--through his cell phone?

Neat trick Hiro pulled, bamfing into the coffin with Adam, them bamfing out without him. But if Adam really can't die, that leaves him a lot of time to try to claw his way out...

And I was expecting Nathan to get shot at the press conference. Right when he's finished the metaphorical boilerplate and was about to get into specifics, too...
Spoiler
When the preview last week said that two heroes would fall, I pegged Micah's cousin as one of them. Boy was I wrong on that score. I think we have to assume that Jessica/Nikki is dead because the virus had deactivated her powers.

I thought maybe Hiro took Adam into the far distant future and marooned him there - the coffin trick was a nice bit of poetic justice, but you're right, he probably will escape at some point).

Sylar's return wasn't unexpected, but Gabrielle's return to life was. I thought she might be the second hero to fall.

So who shot Nathan? Was it Noah? Since all we had was a shot of someone leaving the scene it could have been anyone. And why didn't either Matt or Peter pick up the thoughts of the assassin? And why can't they use Peter's blood to bring Nathan back, since he has the same ability as Claire?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 am

Spoiler
earendel wrote:So who shot Nathan? Was it Noah? Since all we had was a shot of someone leaving the scene it could have been anyone. And why didn't either Matt or Peter pick up the thoughts of the assassin? And why can't they use Peter's blood to bring Nathan back, since he has the same ability as Claire?
We don't know who the assassin is, but Noah is a good guess, since he's been forced back to work for the company. Did Peter use his own blood to heal Nathan from the blast injuries? Then he would know its powers and maybe Nathan will be back in the next chapter.

Further unanswered questions:

What is Bob's power?

Why did the company keep the killer virus instead of destroying it?

What happened to Peter's girlfriend, who's now stuck in an alternate future that doesn't happen?

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:03 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
earendel wrote:So who shot Nathan? Was it Noah? Since all we had was a shot of someone leaving the scene it could have been anyone. And why didn't either Matt or Peter pick up the thoughts of the assassin? And why can't they use Peter's blood to bring Nathan back, since he has the same ability as Claire?
We don't know who the assassin is, but Noah is a good guess, since he's been forced back to work for the company. Did Peter use his own blood to heal Nathan from the blast injuries? Then he would know its powers and maybe Nathan will be back in the next chapter.

What is Bob's power?

What happened to Peter's girlfriend, who's now stuck in an alternate future that doesn't happen?
Spoiler
MarleysGh0st wrote:Did Peter use his own blood to heal Nathan from the blast injuries? Then he would know its powers and maybe Nathan will be back in the next chapter.
No, Adam used his blood to help Nathan. Peter was in Ireland at the time, IIRC.
MarleysGh0st wrote: What is Bob's power?
I'm not sure he has one - it seems that most of the company's founders didn't have one (Hiro's dad didn't seem to, nor does Mama Petrelli)
MarleysGh0st wrote:Why did the company keep the killer virus instead of destroying it?
Probably because they wanted to be able to neutralize the powers of the special ones.
MarleysGh0st wrote: What happened to Peter's girlfriend, who's now stuck in an alternate future that doesn't happen?
This is a toughie. One possibility is that since that future doesn't exist, she gets bounced back to the current future. Or maybe the virus is still going to be released (surely the vial in Odessa isn't the only one) and that future will still occur. In such matters I go along with Ben Sisko, who commented that thinking about time travel gives him a headache.

eyégor
???????

#5 Post by eyégor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 am

Spoiler
I still expect either Niki or Nathan (or both) to ultimately survive. Remember, the teaser said 2 heroes will fall, not die.

As for the shooter, Bennet was my 1st thought

From the size of the special vault, I think the company is run by a bunch of packrats.

Bob's power is to turn base metal into gold.

They set 'Veronica Mars' up as a potential regular. I wonder if she returns next season?

I was greatly disappointed when the second wonderless twin came back to life. Can't she learn to control her power instead of the hysterics that always accompany it?

I think all the founders, except possibly papa Petrelli, had powers, we just never saw most of them.

I wondered about Peter's sqeeze myself.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:28 am

[
Spoiler
quote="eyégor"]
Spoiler
From the size of the special vault, I think the company is run by a bunch of packrats.[/quote]

Aside from the virus, I noticed a brain in a jar and a hand of cards - looked like a royal flush, possibly. I have no idea what those are for. "Packrat" may be an appropriate appellation.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:46 am

Spoiler
earendel wrote: Aside from the virus, I noticed a brain in a jar and a hand of cards - looked like a royal flush, possibly. I have no idea what those are for. "Packrat" may be an appropriate appellation.
Hmmmm. They never have explained what Sylar does with those brains after he slices open someone's skull. Souvenirs for the vault?

But saving a poker hand does sound a bit excessive.

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:49 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
earendel wrote: Aside from the virus, I noticed a brain in a jar and a hand of cards - looked like a royal flush, possibly. I have no idea what those are for. "Packrat" may be an appropriate appellation.
Hmmmm. They never have explained what Sylar does with those brains after he slices open someone's skull. Souvenirs for the vault?

I don't watch the show regularly, so forgive if this is really stupid, but
Spoiler
I could see where a royal flush might be a canary in the coal mine, sort of, especially on a show that makes use of alternate futures. A royal flush has a certain probability in this universe, so that hand might be different in a vault in some other universe. And if it changes to a different hand, you know someone's been messing with your history.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:59 am

mrkelley23 wrote: I don't watch the show regularly, so forgive if this is really stupid, but
Spoiler
I could see where a royal flush might be a canary in the coal mine, sort of, especially on a show that makes use of alternate futures. A royal flush has a certain probability in this universe, so that hand might be different in a vault in some other universe. And if it changes to a different hand, you know someone's been messing with your history.
Spoiler
Not stupid at all, Mikey. Perhaps too elegant a suggestion to fit what what seen on the show.

So far, only Hiro and Peter have used the time travel powers, and they've used it for having major effects on the future:
1. Saving NYC.
2. Saving the world.
3. Saving Hiro's favorite bedtime stories, even if Kensei wasn't quite as nice as those stories suggest. :wink:

We haven't been given any indication that the company has become defensive about meddling time travelers or that they could use some sort of subtle butterfly effect in the cards to detect them.

I suspect the writers will explain those cards, some day.

TheCalvinator24

#10 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:04 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler

What is Bob's power?

Spoiler
MarleysGh0st wrote:Did Peter use his own blood to heal Nathan from the blast injuries? Then he would know its powers and maybe Nathan will be back in the next chapter.
I'm not sure he has one - it seems that most of the company's founders didn't have one (Hiro's dad didn't seem to, nor does Mama Petrelli)
MarleysGh0st wrote:Why did the company keep the killer virus instead of destroying it?
Probably because they wanted to be able to neutralize the powers of the special ones.
MarleysGh0st wrote: What happened to Peter's girlfriend, who's now stuck in an alternate future that doesn't happen?
This is a toughie. One possibility is that since that future doesn't exist, she gets bounced back to the current future. Or maybe the virus is still going to be released (surely the vial in Odessa isn't the only one) and that future will still occur. In such matters I go along with Ben Sisko, who commented that thinking about time travel gives him a headache.
Spoiler
The layers within spoilers got too confusing.
earendel wrote:
Peter was right there with Adam when Adam gave Nathan his blood. That was how Adam cemented Peter's trust. It happened before Peter got shipped off to Ireland.
earendel wrote:
Yes, Bob does. He has the ability to turn things into gold. When Suresh told him that the lab he would need would be very expensive, Bob said that funding had never been a problem for The Company, and he promptly turned the spoon he was holding into gold to show why. His password into the security cameras that Elle viewed last night was "MIDAS". I'm pretty sure Kaito had and Angela has powers.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:14 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
I thought he ate them in order to take the power of the person he killed.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:15 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
I suspect the writers will explain those cards, some day.
I wouldn't count on it.

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:17 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Spoiler
Yes, Bob does. He has the ability to turn things into gold. When Suresh told him that the lab he would need would be very expensive, Bob said that funding had never been a problem for The Company, and he promptly turned the spoon he was holding into gold to show why. His password into the security cameras that Elle viewed last night was "MIDAS". I'm pretty sure Kaito had and Angela has powers.
Spoiler
I saw the password was MIDAS, but I totally missed his transmutation of the spoon.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:19 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
That would be the obvious guess, but there hasn't actually been a scene of him doing that, has there?

But then, I forgot about the scene with Bob's power, so maybe the Haitian has been at work on me...

TheCalvinator24

#15 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
That would be the obvious guess, but there hasn't actually been a scene of him doing that, has there?

But then, I forgot about the scene with Bob's power, so maybe the Haitian has been at work on me...
I think I may adopt this as a new saying whenever I can't remember something.

It's the Haitian's fault!
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

ToLiveIsToFly

#16 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:21 am

Spoiler
earendel wrote:I thought he ate them in order to take the power of the person he killed.
With all the watchmaking stuff way back in the beginning, it seemed to me that Sylar's REAL ability was the ability to take something apart to see how it worked.

I always envisioned that, rather than eating the brains, he studied them to see what they did and then started doing it. Sort of like Micah's cousin, only at a completely different level.

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:25 am

Spoiler
Ever since the season started, I thought that Adam/Kensei would turn out to be Hiro's great-great-great etc. grandfather.

Since we learned he's over 400 years old, it might be that he is all the heroes' ancestor. After all, the guy probably moved around a lot to keep people from recognizing he hadn't aged and he could have had bunches of kids over the centuries.

And if the Group of 12 figured that out, then that might have been a reason for them to keep him around and experiment on him for thirty years.

Also, the title for next season is "villains," one of whom obviously being Sylar. I don't picture Bob as an archvillain (more like middle management), so there must be someone else in the mix.

Appa23

#18 Post by Appa23 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:30 am

ToLiveIsToFly wrote:
Spoiler
earendel wrote:I thought he ate them in order to take the power of the person he killed.
With all the watchmaking stuff way back in the beginning, it seemed to me that Sylar's REAL ability was the ability to take something apart to see how it worked.

I always envisioned that, rather than eating the brains, he studied them to see what they did and then started doing it. Sort of like Micah's cousin, only at a completely different level.
You are right.

gsabc

#19 Post by gsabc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:35 am

Spoiler
Numerous complaints about the episode:

1. Peter, you've been near Matt in the past, so you have his mind reading power. You just used them, in fact, to get the location of the virus. You've determined you don't fully trust Adam. TAKE THE NEXT LOGICAL STEP, MORON! Read his thoughts!

2. Do the people injected with Claire's blood keep her regenerative powers, or is it just good for the single use? If the first one is true, then Sylar is now nearly all-powerful. That's why he wanted to kill Claire in the first place, to get her power.

3. Okay, which of the writers has been watching "Highlander"? A bullet through the head to take out an immortal, indeed.

4. Maya should have stayed dead. What use is her power if it's so indiscriminate that she'd kill any friends she was with as well as her enemies?

5. How did Hiro find the empty coffin near (or in) his parents' gravesite? Yes, Adam can come back now. Dumb move, Hiro.

6. When and how does the Irish chick get back into the "current" timeline? That WAS your whole reason for finding the virus, wasn't it, Peter?

7. How come no one was bothering even to TRY to find or get Nathan's shooter? Not a single person in the room showed ANY indication of turning around to see where the shots came from. That last shot of the apparent shooter just ambling out of the room while all the people crowded around Nathan was ridiculous.

I am having some major "suspension of disbelief" problems with the plotline this year. Too many logical holes.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tanstaafl2

#20 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 pm

gsabc wrote:
Spoiler
Numerous complaints about the episode:

1. Peter, you've been near Matt in the past, so you have his mind reading power. You just used them, in fact, to get the location of the virus. You've determined you don't fully trust Adam. TAKE THE NEXT LOGICAL STEP, MORON! Read his thoughts!

2. Do the people injected with Claire's blood keep her regenerative powers, or is it just good for the single use? If the first one is true, then Sylar is now nearly all-powerful. That's why he wanted to kill Claire in the first place, to get her power.

3. Okay, which of the writers has been watching "Highlander"? A bullet through the head to take out an immortal, indeed.

4. Maya should have stayed dead. What use is her power if it's so indiscriminate that she'd kill any friends she was with as well as her enemies?

5. How did Hiro find the empty coffin near (or in) his parents' gravesite? Yes, Adam can come back now. Dumb move, Hiro.

6. When and how does the Irish chick get back into the "current" timeline? That WAS your whole reason for finding the virus, wasn't it, Peter?

7. How come no one was bothering even to TRY to find or get Nathan's shooter? Not a single person in the room showed ANY indication of turning around to see where the shots came from. That last shot of the apparent shooter just ambling out of the room while all the people crowded around Nathan was ridiculous.

I am having some major "suspension of disbelief" problems with the plotline this year. Too many logical holes.
Spoiler
Speaking of logical holes, How did Adam get to be about 30ish if he doesn't age? Did you somehow gain his power at some point? And if so then perhaps he can be the "father" of all the rest as was speculated.

And if he is that pivotal to the story line then no way the writers can let Hiro just finish him off. Have to give him a semi plausible return mechanism.

But if Claire is like Adam but was "born" with it how did she age and how does she continue to age? Does the power age you to a certain point and then stop? Or are Adam and Claire different?

It does appear that the blood injection is a one time fix since Noah/HRG has shown no indication of having power yet. But maybe he just hasn't figured it out yet.

Presumably since Peter can gain his powers from others without having to "take them apart" as Sylar does (good analogy with the watch thing! I like that notion) then presumably his blood can heal Nathan since he has been near both Adam and Claire, he just doesn't seem to realize it. Indeed Peter seems to be quite the dufus as he doesn't seem to realize a lot of things.

It was my understanding that Adam (and Clare) would need to completely "lose their head" (once again channeling Highlander) in order to die. Claire was once taken out of action when a stick was shoved into her brain in the first season but came back to life when it was removed. Not sure how a bullet would be able to permanently finish them off.

Lots of questions still, but not too many answers so far. I too doubt that both heroes who fell last night are out of the picture for good. But Nikki, who was kind of boring beyond her appearance anyway, seems to be the more challenging one to resurrect.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

TheCalvinator24

#21 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:27 pm

I believe it was Adam himself who said that at some point he just stopped aging.

Appa23

#22 Post by Appa23 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:52 pm

I thought that it had been explained in the series that these people have dormant genetic mutations. They are not "triggered" immediately upon birth (or conception), but rather arise after a certain, differing period of time.

After all, each of us have characteristics that did not surface until puberty or adulthood.

gsabc

#23 Post by gsabc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:01 pm

Appa23 wrote:After all, each of us have characteristics that did not surface until puberty or adulthood.
I guess you could say one of mine arose shortly after puberty ...

mrkelley23

#24 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Is that a characteristic, or a Special Purpose?

Or a superpower?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

gsabc

#25 Post by gsabc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:13 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Is that a characteristic, or a Special Purpose?

Or a superpower?
You'll have to ask GW (Gorgeous Wife). I'm not an objective observer. But as Hugo Quackenbush once said, "I haven't had any complaints yet."
:D