Regis Philbin Returns To Prime Time In $1,000,000 Game Show

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

Regis Philbin Returns To Prime Time In $1,000,000 Game Show

#1 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:26 am

Regis will be hosting Million Dollar Password on CBS. Will tape in New York.
http://tvgameshows.net/

earendel

Re: Regis Philbin Returns To Prime Time In $1,000,000 Game S

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:36 am

TheConfessor wrote:Regis will be hosting Million Dollar Password on CBS. Will tape in New York.
http://tvgameshows.net/
Putting yet another nail into the coffin that is primetime BAM. I doubt there will be another SuperBAM.

So how does one become a contestant?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:27 am

Hasn't ABC already lost the rights to SuperBAM?

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:28 am

Bye Bye, dream.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:32 am

The new version will maintain the structure of two celebrity-contestant teams competing against each other. The winning combo can opt to risk its winnings for a chance at a $1 million bonus round.

And I would wanna watch celebs play why?

nitrah55

#6 Post by nitrah55 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:36 am

Hmmm....

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:37 am

ghostjmf wrote:The new version will maintain the structure of two celebrity-contestant teams competing against each other. The winning combo can opt to risk its winnings for a chance at a $1 million bonus round.

I think that quote means the teams are one celebrity and one "regular person" contestant, just like this show has always been.

eyégor
???????

#8 Post by eyégor » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:41 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:The new version will maintain the structure of two celebrity-contestant teams competing against each other. The winning combo can opt to risk its winnings for a chance at a $1 million bonus round.

I think that quote means the teams are one celebrity and one "regular person" contestant, just like this show has always been.
It won't be just like it's always been unless it is hosted by Zombie Allan Ludden. Of course Regis does do a fair zombie impersonation these days... :twisted:

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:43 am

Password always brings back one of my favorite college memories. A group of us were in the lounge, watching one of the show's incarnations. The contestants had just failed to solve the word "calligraphy". One of our group said, "Aw, that's an easy one. Watch," as another classmate entered the lounge, returning from class and totally oblivious to what we were watching.

"Chuck! Password! Handwriting!"

Chuck's immediate and bewildered reply: "Calligraphy."

Have I ever mentioned that when watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" during its first theatrical release, all six of us in the group knew the capital of Abyssinia? We were an over-educated group, and well suited to the trivia crazes.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:43 am

eyégor wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

It won't be just like it's always been unless it is hosted by Zombie Allan Ludden. Of course Regis does do a fair zombie impersonation these days... :twisted:
I can hear it now - the hushed voice of the announcer (who is probably also no longer with us)...

The password is...BRAAAAAAAIIIIINNNNNNNSSSSSS!! :lol:

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:25 am

OK, I could do that. I wouldn't give a heck about who the celebrity is. I'd only ask they be bright. Which of course makes me "not what they want".

andrewjackson

#12 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:51 am

gsabc wrote:
Have I ever mentioned that when watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" during its first theatrical release, all six of us in the group knew the capital of Abyssinia? We were an over-educated group, and well suited to the trivia crazes.
Isn't the question in the movie, "What is the capital of Assyria?"

Not sure what the capital of Abyssinia would have been in 934 a.d. Interesting question, though.

I don't think Meroë was still around and that is not the same as Abyssinia even though it is some of the same territory. Aksum ruled over the northern part of that area until around 800 or 900 a.d.

OK, I looked it up. Abyssinia didn't have a fixed capital until the 16th century. The rulers were nomads so the capital was wherever they pitched their tents. So there really was no good answer to the question "What is the capital of Abyssinia?" if asked in 934 a.d.
Last edited by andrewjackson on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter where you go, there you are.

andrewjackson

#13 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 am

Duplicate post.
No matter where you go, there you are.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:18 am

earendel wrote:Putting yet another nail into the coffin that is primetime BAM. I doubt there will be another SuperBAM.
And yet this NY Times blog says:

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/got-game/

An announcement yesterday from Regis Philbin and FremantleMedia North America (the company behind “American Idol”) is the most recent indication that television executives are interested in rekindling the success of 1999’s “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” on ABC.

If they wanted to rekindle that success, they'd bring him back with SuperBAM, not with Password.

<sigh>

Jeemie

#15 Post by Jeemie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:Putting yet another nail into the coffin that is primetime BAM. I doubt there will be another SuperBAM.

An announcement yesterday from Regis Philbin and FremantleMedia North America (the company behind “American Idol”) is the most recent indication that television executives are interested in rekindling the success of 1999’s “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” on ABC.

If they wanted to rekindle that success, they'd bring him back with SuperBAM, not with Password.

<sigh>
No they wouldn't.

Password fits right in with the types of game shows the networks want to broadcast right now.[/i]
1979 City of Champions 2009

gsabc

#16 Post by gsabc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 am

Jeemie wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

<sigh>
No they wouldn't.

Password fits right in with the types of game shows the networks want to broadcast right now.[/i]
High promise, low payout?? Given the declining emphasis on vocabulary and synonyms in schools (didn't they just take analogies out of the SAT's?), I expect more than a few gripes to appear here.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Jeemie

#17 Post by Jeemie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:32 am

gsabc wrote:High promise, low payout?? Given the declining emphasis on vocabulary and synonyms in schools (didn't they just take analogies out of the SAT's?), I expect more than a few gripes to appear here.
Exactamundo.

Too many people on these boards judge statements like "rekindle the success of BAM" based on how THEY feel, not how the public at large feels or how network execs feel.

As for BAM itself, as I have said many times, BAM nearly cost Robert Iger his career at Disney. As long as ABC holds the rights to BAM, and as long as Iger is in charge at Disney, it will never come back on preime time.
1979 City of Champions 2009

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:And yet this NY Times blog says:

<sigh>
Regis is also going to be on "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader" as part of a <*sigh"> "celebrity" edition.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 am

earendel wrote: Regis is also going to be on "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader" as part of a <*sigh"> "celebrity" edition.
Yeah. If we thought 5th Grader dragged things out with a lot of time-wasting babbling before, just wait until the celebs are contestants! :roll:

They promoted these episodes on Thursday..."Coming up this year!"

Sheesh!

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:31 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: Regis is also going to be on "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader" as part of a <*sigh"> "celebrity" edition.
Yeah. If we thought 5th Grader dragged things out with a lot of time-wasting babbling before, just wait until the celebs are contestants! :roll:

They promoted these episodes on Thursday..."Coming up this year!"

Sheesh!
As I recall, Regis was the only celebrity I recognized - there was an American Idol singer, and I can't remember who else. It's sad to think that this show thinks it has to resort to celebrity editions.

And how long will it be until we have celebrity editions of "Don't Forget the Lyrics", or "Deal or No Deal"?