Transcript 04/14/2009 Rob Worman (doitneatly)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/14/2009 Rob Worman (doitneatly)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Rob Worman BB: doitneatly
Edina, MN
Computer programmer
Rob Worman
All lifelines remaining

Rob uses juggling to prepare himself for stressful situations. Mere thinks that would be stressful in itself but Rob assures her that once you learn it, juggling is a relaxing activity. He says his pulse is about 80 right now.

Rob is playing for his 4-year-old daughter who is in the autism spectrum.

Expert: Bill Finan, a member of the 2008 College Bowl winning team from the University of Rochester.

Topic Tree

Passing the Buck
On the Road
Comic Legends
Vocals
And the Winner Is…
It’s Your Move
The Money Men
Moving Pictures
Deep Thinkers
Name Calling
(The Debunker)
(The Windy city)
(Foreign Conflicts)
(Fight Club)
(Ah-choo!)

$2000 (Name Calling):
Someone who is "lily-livered" exhibits what unflattering trait?
A. Jealousy B. Ignorance
C. Cowardice D. Laziness
Spoiler
C. Cowardice (:24)

$4000 (Deep Thinkers):
The opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics featured thousands of performers chanting quotations by what prominent philosopher?
A. Confucius B. Karl Marx
C. Voltaire D. Aristotle
Spoiler
A. Confucius (:23)

$8000 (Moving Pictures):
What big-screen comedy's ads promised audiences,"You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll hurl."?
A. The Big Lebowski B. Groundhog Day
C. There's Something About Mary D. Wayne's World
Spoiler
D. Wayne's World (:21)

$16K (The Money Men):
Which of these U.S. banknotes features a portrait of a man who is bearded?
A. $10 B. $20
C. $50 D. $100
Spoiler
C. $50 (:21)

$25K (It’s Your Move):
The Skullcracker, the Double Cross and the Octopus are all opening maneuvers in what game?
A. Backgammon B. Checkers
C. Parcheesi D. Dominoes

ATA at :18
ATA
A-22% B-13% C-37% D-28%
PAF (:17)

Choices brother-in-law Joe, Venice, CA
friend Jay, Austin, TX
co-worker Robert, Huntley, IL

Rob chooses Joe saying he is smart and funny.
Joe
PAF
Rob emphasizes the keywords (for googling)

Joe is 90% sure it is B
Spoiler
B. Checkers (:15)
Commercial break

They show picture of Rob's 4-yo daughter:
awwww
Rob also promotes a web site called Smile Train (http://www.smiletrain.org/) that helps children around the world with cleft lip.

$50K (And the Winner Is…):
Similar to the Oscars, the "Genies" are the highest honors awarded to movies in what country?
A. Canada B. Israel
C. Australia D. Sweden

Rob says he thinks it is a good time to double-dip (:36)
Spoiler
First answer, Australia, is incorrect
Second answer, Sweden, is incorrect

A. Canada (:23)
Rob leaves with $25000

Brit Canuck

Re: Transcript 04/14/2009 Rob Worman (doitneatly)

#2 Post by Brit Canuck » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 pm

No worries, I'm from Canada, and I don't watch them either (a night other than Saturday would help). :lol:

Rafferbee

#3 Post by Rafferbee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Congratulations, doitneatly! You are indeed devastatingly handsome, and you did a great job!

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#4 Post by frogman042 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Rob,

So, we need to find out when the Genies air, plan a road-trip to the Great White North to watch them while dinning on Poutine!

You know there was a time in my life not to long ago that I really liked Canada. What was I thinking!!!

BTW, great job!!!!

---Jay

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#5 Post by sunflower » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Nice job! Welcome to the 25k club!!! :)

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Congratulations, Rob! I'd have needed lifelines at $25K and $50K, too.

I'm curious about one thing: you were only on the air for a couple minutes yesterday, but I'm surprised that they didn't make you change outfits in between episodes. Didn't you bring anything else that was acceptable to the APs?

kusch

#7 Post by kusch » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:42 pm

Congrats. Looking forward to your comments about your time in the hotseat.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by etaoin22 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:25 pm

whoda thunk it?

ANOTHER killer canadian question.

Even I have difficulty telling the Genies from the Junos.

christie1111
11:11

#9 Post by christie1111 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Excellent job!

Used lifelines when you needed them

Daughter is darling!

Congratulations on making it there!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by ontellen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 pm

I agree with both my fellow Canucks - never watch the Genies. I do know the difference between the Genies and Junos because my son went to the Junos as a reporter for his college newspaper. Had the time of his life. Free food and booze!

I wonder if calling the kid from Rochester might have worked. I'm sure they get a lot of Canadian TV in Rochester. At least in Eastern Ontario, they pick up Rochester stations.

Good run and I feel so bad that 2 BBs have gone down on Canadian questions.

doitneatly

#11 Post by doitneatly » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rob Worman BB: doitneatly
Edina, MN
Computer programmer
Rob Worman
All lifelines remaining

Rob uses juggling to prepare himself for stressful situations. Mere thinks that would be stressful in itself but Rob assures her that once you learn it, juggling is a relaxing activity. He says his pulse is about 80 right now.

Rob is playing for his 4-year-old daughter who is in the autism spectrum.
Yes, call it a medical hook if you want. I wasn't planning to bring it up, and the producers didn't ask me to. Meredith was expecting me to give a generic "saving for college" answer when she asked about playing for my daughter. But I had a fit of honesty...
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:

Expert: Bill Finan, a member of the 2008 College Bowl winning team from the University of Rochester.

Topic Tree

Passing the Buck
On the Road
Comic Legends
Vocals
And the Winner Is…
It’s Your Move
The Money Men
Moving Pictures
Deep Thinkers
Name Calling
(The Debunker)
(The Windy city)
(Foreign Conflicts)
(Fight Club)
(Ah-choo!)
I will go to my grave wondering what that $250k question might've been, about "Comic Legends". Comic Books? Famous Comedians? I suspect the question would have suited me well. But I'll probably never know.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K (The Money Men):
A. $10 B. $20
C. $50 D. $100
Spoiler
As I referenced in Max's transcript from 04/10, here is the second on-air question I saw that also happened to be a factoid that was discussed in the green room just a few hours beforehand. I am 90% certain I knew this answer before I flew to New York to tape, but the green room review meant I didn't even have to think about it.

Advice to anyone who manages to get on the show: swap trivia in the green room!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K (It’s Your Move):
The Skullcracker, the Double Cross and the Octopus are all opening maneuvers in what game?
C. Parcheesi D. Dominoes

ATA
A-22% B-13% C-37% D-28%
I was fully prepared for the audience to be useless here, but I proceeded under the assumption that the later questions would be no better. In hindsight, I can't help but think that the ATA could've made a difference at $50k.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: PAF (:17)

friend Jay, Austin, TX

Not that frogman042 wasn't also smart and funny, but family is family! (and I wanted to get Joe's amusing photo on the big screen)

FWIW, any one of my PAFs would've had no problem with this question - it was an easy Google. I'm not ashamed to admit that I picked all of my PAFs for Googling skills above all else, and we PRACTICED the PAF process. I daresay mine was a textbook example... no opening greetings or niceties, no reading the question, just the distilled keywords. Repeat the keywords, then a few seconds of quiet... Then start repeating the answers, but don't bother with A B C D. Time updates as the clock ticks. (note that I fibbed to Joe about the clock, to give myself a few seconds of padding; "15 seconds left!" when there was actually 18..)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Rob also promotes a web site called Smile Train (http://www.smiletrain.org/) that helps children around the world with cleft lip.
Thanks for adding the website here, mister transcriber! I didn't get a chance to plug the URL, and I really do think it's an amazing charity. They are VERY highly regarded for their operational efficiency - you can donate $250 and know that you will change someone's life forever.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K (And the Winner Is…):
Similar to the Oscars, the "Genies" are the highest honors awarded to movies in what country?
A. Canada B. Israel
C. Australia D. Sweden

Spoiler

Rob leaves with $25000
Before I make my final choice, you can actually hear me murmur,
"I don't think it's Canada" ["because I would've heard of it" was the rest of that thought process, fyi... :? ]

My ego is soothed a bit by the fact that I have yet to speak to any non-Canadians that know this answer. Also note that, as of this writing, a search on wikipedia for "genies" will only produce a page about the mythical Arabian spirit, with zero mention of Canadian film awards.

Some may ask, why didn't I ATE?
Three reasons:

-I liked my chances with the DD, and $50k is the "free guess" level so it felt like the right choice
-Saving the ATE lifeline for later (naturally...)
-I had been told that my expert's strengths were Science and Geography, and his weaknesses were Pop Culture and History; so I wasn't so confident he'd be able to help with this pop culture question. (and I was probably right, see below)

In the spirit of trying to figure out "what if...", I actually managed to look up my expert on Facebook and ask him what he would've done with this particular question. His answer:

"i saw the question and Canada is what i would have guessed; but i would
only have been about 30% sure - and keep in mind I'm typing this in hindsight
too."

So I think I'll be able to sleep okay with the stategic decisions I made.

FYI, If you wanna catch the rerun, you can see it on YT, just look for my username :-)
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 pm

I enjoyed watching your shows, Rob. You will always wonder "what if?". Almost everyone does that. Nevertheless you won a lovely sum of money that will help you do some great things for the people you love. (Speaking of love, your daughter is beautiful!)

Good going. Furthermore, in only 12 more months, you will be eligible for Jeopardy! See you there.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

TheConfessor

#13 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:19 am

Rob, congratulations on winning some nice money and coming across as a very likable person in the hot seat. Second guessing is always part of the game, but I think you can be unreservedly proud of your performance. I hope you had (or will have) a fun viewing party with friends and family.

Kudos to whoever did this transcript. You made an extra effort and added some nice touches.

NellyLunatic1980

#14 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:53 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K (It’s Your Move):
C. Parcheesi D. Dominoes

ATA
A-22% B-13% C-37% D-28%

friend Jay, Austin, TX

I wonder if Jay knew this answer, too.

$50K: No idea on this one. Perfect time to PAF.

Great job, Rob! :D

Snaxx

#15 Post by Snaxx » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:45 am

Congrats, doitneatly! It is always fun to transcribe a BB. I initially ruled out Canada too for the same reason that I must have heard it. When I found out along with you that it was Canada I was thinking fortunately it was not J! with Trebek staring at you.

The rest of the show was a different story. I was glad to get home a couple of hours earlier than expected and was glad I wasn't transcribing a llama and three topic trees at 11:30 PM.

John C (Snaxx)

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:05 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rob Worman BB: doitneatly
Edina, MN
Computer programmer

Two of my sons juggle and they also swear by its relaxing ability. I've never been able to get the hang of it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K (The Money Men):
A. $10 B. $20
C. $50 D. $100
Spoiler
Those Turbo Tax commercials would help with this because they depict Franklin ($100), Jackson ($20) and Grant ($50). Grant has the beard, so that has to be the right answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K (It’s Your Move):
C. Parcheesi D. Dominoes

ATA
A-22% B-13% C-37% D-28%

friend Jay, Austin, TX

PAF
Rob emphasizes the keywords (for googling)

Joe is 90% sure it is B
Spoiler
B. Checkers (:15)
I'd have gone with PAF first and hung onto the ATA. My uncle was a big checkers player but I never heard him use any of those terms.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (And the Winner Is…):
A. Canada B. Israel
C. Australia D. Sweden

Spoiler

Rob leaves with $25000
That's a shame, Rob. I don't know if the expert would have been of any help; I'd have used ATA and followed up with ATE. It was fun watching you, however.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:13 am

doitneatly wrote: I was fully prepared for the audience to be useless here, but I proceeded under the assumption that the later questions would be no better. In hindsight, I can't help but think that the ATA could've made a difference at $50k.
Thanks for explaining your strategy on this.
doitneatly wrote:FWIW, any one of my PAFs would've had no problem with this question - it was an easy Google. I'm not ashamed to admit that I picked all of my PAFs for Googling skills above all else, and we PRACTICED the PAF process. I daresay mine was a textbook example... no opening greetings or niceties, no reading the question, just the distilled keywords. Repeat the keywords, then a few seconds of quiet... Then start repeating the answers, but don't bother with A B C D. Time updates as the clock ticks. (note that I fibbed to Joe about the clock, to give myself a few seconds of padding; "15 seconds left!" when there was actually 18..)
I did notice - and I've noticed that others have done the same thing lately. It makes sense.
doitneatly wrote:$50K (And the Winner Is…):
A. Canada B. Israel
C. Australia D. Sweden

Spoiler

Rob leaves with $25000
Before I make my final choice, you can actually hear me murmur,
"I don't think it's Canada" ["because I would've heard of it" was the rest of that thought process, fyi... :? ]

My ego is soothed a bit by the fact that I have yet to speak to any non-Canadians that know this answer. Also note that, as of this writing, a search on wikipedia for "genies" will only produce a page about the mythical Arabian spirit, with zero mention of Canadian film awards.[/quote]
Yeah I heard you. I didn't think it was Canada, either - my thoughts were either Australia or possibly Israel.
doitneatly wrote:Some may ask, why didn't I ATE?
Hey, Rob, why didn't you ATE? :mrgreen:
doitneatly wrote:Three reasons:

-I liked my chances with the DD, and $50k is the "free guess" level so it felt like the right choice
-Saving the ATE lifeline for later (naturally...)
-I had been told that my expert's strengths were Science and Geography, and his weaknesses were Pop Culture and History; so I wasn't so confident he'd be able to help with this pop culture question. (and I was probably right, see below)

In the spirit of trying to figure out "what if...", I actually managed to look up my expert on Facebook and ask him what he would've done with this particular question. His answer:

"i saw the question and Canada is what i would have guessed; but i would
only have been about 30% sure - and keep in mind I'm typing this in hindsight
too."

So I think I'll be able to sleep okay with the stategic decisions I made.
We (the TV audience) didn't hear Meredith tell you what the expert's fields were, and your reasoning is quite sound. Thanks for explaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:44 am

Very fun to watch!

You are handsome. I am not too kind. Really.

Your daughter is adorable.

You played the game well. You played by your reasoning, that's all you can do.

I enjoyed the whole thing.

You got real money!

What could be bad?

Nothing!

Appa23

#19 Post by Appa23 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:26 am

etaoin22 wrote:whoda thunk it?

ANOTHER killer canadian question.

Even I have difficulty telling the Genies from the Junos.
I think that I likely confused the Genies for the Junos, but it still got me the right answer (for the wrong reason).

Appa23

#20 Post by Appa23 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:35 am

Did someone in your family have a cleft palate?

(From the picture of your daughter, I would be amazed if it was her. Absolutely darling!)

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 am

I knew the Genies were Canadian, but I'm in the business. They gave them out on April 4. A WW I flick got best picture. I can't remember the name - it's alphabet soup - Pass-something.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

megaaddict

#22 Post by megaaddict » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 am

doitneatly wrote:Before I make my final choice, you can actually hear me murmur,
"I don't think it's Canada" ["because I would've heard of it" was the rest of that thought process, fyi... :?
I don't have any hard facts to back this up but it sure seems like this reasoning by contestants and lifelines eliminates the correct answer more often than not (or at least more than the one-fourth of the time that a random elimination would).

That aside. you played well and have a lot of money to prove it. If you got a chance to give Meredith some private juggling instruction, I'd say you did spectacular!

doitneatly

#23 Post by doitneatly » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 am

Collated responses to a few of the unanswered questions/comments in this thread.
Jay, I promise If any further discussion is warranted, it'll go into a new thread!
frogman042 wrote: we need to find out when the Genies air, plan a road-trip to the Great White North to watch them while dinning on Poutine!
You know there was a time in my life not to long ago that I really liked Canada. What was I thinking!!!
Your comments above mirror what went through my head right after I missed this question. (I had watched your appearance not too long before my taping.) How arrogantly American of me to assume I would recognize this factoid if it were Canadian, and thus how very ironic that I was wrong. The south-facing mirror along the 49th parallel strikes again! :wink:

MarleysGh0st wrote: I'm curious about one thing: you were only on the air for a couple minutes yesterday, but I'm surprised that they didn't make you change outfits in between episodes. Didn't you bring anything else that was acceptable to the APs?
I definitely had another acceptable outfit, but there was no mention of having me change between episodes. To be honest I've never paid close enough attention to the faux-overnight carryover contestants to see if an outfit change is the norm. (but of course, they always have Meredith change...)

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Rob uses juggling to prepare himself for stressful situations. Mere thinks that would be stressful in itself but Rob assures her that once you learn it, juggling is a relaxing activity. He says his pulse is about 80 right now.
Two of my sons juggle and they also swear by its relaxing ability. I've never been able to get the hang of it.
Not to sidetrack too badly on the topic, but the whole neurological aspect of juggling is fascinating. Once you've learned, the concerted rhythm of the right and left hands equates to activity in both the right and left halves of the brain, hence the unusual state of calm that most jugglers describe. Back in 2004, Nature published a small German study that found a measurable increase in brain matter in subjects who learned to juggle. (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com//printe ... ewsid=5615)

I really do love to create new jugglers, to the tune of dozens of pupils over the years. When taught properly, most people pick up the basics in a matter of 5 minutes. (such that they can manage more than three catches before dropping, that is. Getting beyond that is just a matter of practice, not learning)

The primary obstacle that most learning jugglers face is unwittingly choosing to first learn the "shower" pattern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Juggl ... shower.gif) vs the SUBSTANTIALLY easier "cascade" pattern. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:3-bal ... _movie.gif)

Another common obstacle for people trying to learn is the frustration of trying to learn with - and thus frequently dropping and chasing - something bouncy like tennis balls. For the curious, I heartily recommend the "klutz" juggling book that can be found at any Target or Wal-Mart; the one that comes with it's own little mesh bag with three beanbags in it.

Okay, enough juggling talk. Jay is going to give me a Grumble any minute now.

Appa23 wrote:Did someone in your family have a cleft palate?

(From the picture of your daughter, I would be amazed if it was her. Absolutely darling!)
Thanks, I agree she is the cutest kid on the planet. :-)

No, I don't have any first- or second-hand experience with a cleft palate. It was just a charity I'd heard of. I think the first time I came across it was reading this Freakonomics column in the NY Times Magazine - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/magaz ... nted=print.

But if you've ever seen one of the Smile Train print ads in a magazine, you'll remember it. (lots of little kids with cleft palates) The visual shock of that particular disfigurement is powerful, hence its tremendous social impact if it goes uncorrected.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#24 Post by frogman042 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:51 am

$25K (It’s Your Move):
C. Parcheesi D. Dominoes

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A-22% B-13% C-37% D-28%
To me, there is one choice that couldn't be right, which is Parcheesi - since the opening moves is dependent on the roll of the dice and if you are lucky enough to get the man off base (how I remember how it is played - which has been decades) is fixed by the role - so there is no room for a player to choose different maneuvers at the start of the game. For Backgammon at least the roll of the dice leave room for a variety of different moves so it is possible that they might name the optimal move for a 4-4 or a 2-5 some fixed names. Dominos, I think would not have named opening moves, but maybe their might be nicknames, similar to craps, like box-cars and little joe's - but I wouldn't really call them maneuvers. Checkers, like Chess have a specific opening maneuvers and I could imagine that they would be named.

If I had to rank them from most likely to least likely would be B, A, D and C - the exact reverse of the audience results. What I think is interesting is that the correct answer had by far the smallest number of votes from the audience and the one that I could eliminate outright as being wrong got the most.

I really, really wish they would tell the audience (not the contestant - we had this thread when I first joined the bored) NOT to vote if they don't know. It is a good thing that Rob didn't DD on the top two responses!

Also, is this the first time we saw 4 contestants play on a single day this season (or any season) - is this a record for the most questions asked on a single show (this or any season as well) - 21 by my count?

---Jay

Appa23

#25 Post by Appa23 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:12 am

frogman042 wrote:[Also, is this the first time we saw 4 contestants play on a single day this season (or any season) - is this a record for the most questions asked on a single show (this or any season as well) - 21 by my count?

---Jay
I thought that I recall a few instances of 4 contestants on one day.

Even without the clock "speeding things up", it seemed regular to have 20 or more questions asked for each show during the 1st season of SyndiBam. I am trying to recall my first show, and it seems like there might have been 22-23 questions asked and answered. ( If I can remember where everyone ended.)