top o' the mornin'® 7/31/2013

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'® 7/31/2013

#1 Post by earendel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 pm

To quote Sam Gamgee, "Well, I'm back." The great elvish migration was a success - the thirteen of us managed to stay together and not get upset (not an easy task with our four sons and the two daughters-in-law). The grandchildren were amazed and thrilled at the sights and sounds of the Disney parks (the youngest skipped Epcot for an extra day at the Magic Kingdom).

However all was not peaches and cream. I got sick on the way to Orlando and remained that way until our second day at Disney (elwing and I went down a day early so that she could visit the Unclaimedbaggage warehouse). I was sick the day everyone went to the beach and didn't feel all that great when we hit Medieval Times. I tried to soldier on at the theme parks (we had a 4-day, one park per day pass) but it wasn't until Friday that I finally felt halfway decent. That, plus chronic problems with my legs and back, the humidity and the heat made it clear that theme parks and I are not meant for each other. Oh, well, the family had a good time over all and that's what counts.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: top o' the mornin'® 7/31/2013

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm

earendel wrote:That, plus chronic problems with my legs and back, the humidity and the heat made it clear that theme parks and I are not meant for each other.
The heat and humidity? That's not the theme parks, that's just summer in Florida. As for the mobility problems, you needed to get yourself a Jazzy! Not only does that solve the problem of the incredible distances the park designers build in between every point of interest, it also works as the equivalent of a Fast Pass for your whole family!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:That, plus chronic problems with my legs and back, the humidity and the heat made it clear that theme parks and I are not meant for each other.
The heat and humidity? That's not the theme parks, that's just summer in Florida. As for the mobility problems, you needed to get yourself a Jazzy! Not only does that solve the problem of the incredible distances the park designers build in between every point of interest, it also works as the equivalent of a Fast Pass for your whole family!

What about a Sedgeway? (sic)

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:44 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:What about a Sedgeway? (sic)
Disney does offer Segway tours at EPCOT, early in the morning before the back part of the park (the "countries") opens to regular visitors. They do NOT allow people to ride their own (or rented) Segways outside of those tours.

Having taken that tour a few years ago, I can understand that, too. Pedestrians were entering the park as we were finishing the tour and it got real difficult dodging traffic. Just too many folks moving in all directions--you'd need "bullet vision" from the Matrix movies to maneuver through them at any kind of decent speed.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:What about a Sedgeway? (sic)
Disney does offer Segway tours at EPCOT, early in the morning before the back part of the park (the "countries") opens to regular visitors. They do NOT allow people to ride their own (or rented) Segways outside of those tours.

Having taken that tour a few years ago, I can understand that, too. Pedestrians were entering the park as we were finishing the tour and it got real difficult dodging traffic. Just too many folks moving in all directions--you'd need "bullet vision" from the Matrix movies to maneuver through them at any kind of decent speed.
Like this:

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:22 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
We considered that, but the cost was prohibitive.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."