Transcript 04/16/09 - Art Kimbro (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/16/09 - Art Kimbro (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Art Kimbro
Northridge, CA
Voiceover actor

Art's two children, Dalton, age 8, and Ayana, age 5, told him, "Just win, Daddy."

Question Topics:
* All of Us
* First in Line
* Dining Out
* Order in the Court
* Boo!
* Take Me to the River
* Chart Toppers
* (Chocolate)
* (In Da Club)
* (Big Ratings)
* (Familiar Phrases)
* (Lap Dogs)
* (Bring a Sweater)
* (Buzz Cuts)

Art still has all of his lifelines, including his Ask The Expert. Today's expert is a National College Bowl winner from the University of Rochester, Eric Kiehl.

$8,000 * Chart Toppers
Chart-topping artist Taylor Swift is a young up-and-comer in what musical genre?

A: R&B B: Country
C: Gospel D: Rap
Answer
B: Country ( 21 )
$16,000 * Take Me to the River
Stretching more than 2,000 miles from northwest of Moscow to the Caspian Sea, what is the longest river in Europe?

A: Seine B: Danube
C: Rhine D: Volga

With 19 seconds left, Art decides to Phone A Friend.

Art's PAF team are his coworker, Mike, Woodland Hills, CA; his friend, Steve, Burbank, CA; and his father-in-law, Dave, Woodbury, MN. Art decides to call Dave.

Dave: Oh, my! What was the first one?

Art: The Seine, the Danube, the Rhine, the Volga. Ten seconds.

Dave: I would say the Danube.

Art: The Danube? How sure are you?

Dave: That's a guess.

Art: That's a guess?

Dave: Yep.

With 15 seconds left, Art decides to Ask The Expert.

Eric: Alright, it's definitely not the Rhine or the Seine. I'm almost certain that it is the Volga, B, which is definitely a river in Russia, and which is definitely--I'm almost certain flows by Moscow. So I would go with B: Volga.

Art: How positive are you about that?

Eric: I'm about 80% sure.

Art: 80%?

Eric: Yep.

Answer
D: Volga ( 5 )
-- Commercial Break --

Art is a voiceover actor, but Meredith says he has leading man good looks. Art says he used to do on-camera work, back in the day.

This isn't Art's first game show. He was on Sale of the Century, back in the late '70s. He won acrylic nails, a 13" TV and a bunch of rice.

$25,000 * 1961
"Good Soldier Yossarian" is the title of a 1961 Time magazine review of what classic novel?

A: Catch-22 B: The Naked and the Dead
C: A Clockwork Orange D: For Whom the Bell Tolls

With 11 seconds left, Art decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 53% B: 12% C: 13% D: 22%
Answer
A: Catch-22 ( 2 )
$50,000 * Boo!
If you from siderodromophobia, which of these companies' signature vehicles whould probably scare you the most?

A: JetBlue B: Amtrak
C: Carnival D: Schwinn

Art thinks about the question for a while, until Meredith reminds him about the Double Dip. With 11 seconds left, he decides to use that.

Art's first answer is
Spoiler
C: Carnival.

Art's second answer is
Spoiler
D: Schwinn.

Answer
B: Amtrak ( 2 )
Art leaves with $25,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Edited to correct year in the $25,000 question.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Transcript 04/16/09 - Art Kimbro (carryover)

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Art is a voiceover actor, but Meredith says he has leading man good looks. Art says he used to do on-camera work, back in the day.

This isn't Art's first game show. He was on Sale of the Century, back in the late '70s. He won acrylic nails, a 13" TV and a bunch of rice.
And all I got was $600 of women's shoes.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

And all I got was $600 of women's shoes.
If you would have sent me the shoes, I would have made rice for you.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * 1961
"Good Soldier Yossarian" is the title of a 1951 Time magazine review of what classic novel?
This is probably a typo. The book came out in 1961.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by ontellen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:29 pm

It is. It was 1961 on the show. Those who are nice enough to do the transcripts don't always have to be perfect. Their effort is greatly appreciated.

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:48 pm

ontellen wrote:It is. It was 1961 on the show. Those who are nice enough to do the transcripts don't always have to be perfect. Their effort is greatly appreciated.
Well, I would have fixed it myself, but some people get justifiably touchy about any edits made by moderators, so I was just trying to be helpful without overstepping my bounds. I was not being critical, and I agree that the transcription team does a great job.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:47 am

$50K: Never heard of this fear. I tried to suss out something from the etymology, but nothing came up quickly enough. I'll have to PAF. Should be easy enough to Google.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:52 am

TheConfessor wrote:
ontellen wrote:It is. It was 1961 on the show. Those who are nice enough to do the transcripts don't always have to be perfect. Their effort is greatly appreciated.
Well, I would have fixed it myself, but some people get justifiably touchy about any edits made by moderators, so I was just trying to be helpful without overstepping my bounds. I was not being critical, and I agree that the transcription team does a great job.
Who you talkin' about?

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Art Kimbro
Northridge, CA
Voiceover actor
Plus he's done some on-camera work.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Art's two children, Dalton, age 8, and Ayana, age 5, told him, "Just win, Daddy."
Ah, if only it were that simple.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Art still has all of his lifelines, including his Ask The Expert. Today's expert is a National College Bowl winner from the University of Rochester, Eric Kiehl.
Who doesn't look quite as "out of it" as the previous expert.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 * Chart Toppers
Chart-topping artist Taylor Swift is a young up-and-comer in what musical genre?

A: R&B B: Country
C: Gospel D: Rap
Answer
B: Country ( 21 )
Wow! A pop culture question I actually know.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Take Me to the River
Stretching more than 2,000 miles from northwest of Moscow to the Caspian Sea, what is the longest river in Europe?

Art's PAF team are his coworker, Mike, Woodland Hills, CA; his friend, Steve, Burbank, CA; and his father-in-law, Dave, Woodbury, MN. Art decides to call Dave.

Eric: Alright, it's definitely not the Rhine or the Seine. I'm almost certain that it is the Volga, B, which is definitely a river in Russia, and which is definitely--I'm almost certain flows by Moscow. So I would go with B: Volga.

Answer
He probably should have gone with ATE first.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 * Boo!
If you from siderodromophobia, which of these companies' signature vehicles whould probably scare you the most?

Art thinks about the question for a while, until Meredith reminds him about the Double Dip. With 11 seconds left, he decides to use that.

Art's first answer is
Spoiler

Art's second answer is
Spoiler

Answer
Time for my first lifeline - and believe it or not, it's the DD. I'm sure it's either trains or bicycles, so I'll make those my two final answers, starting with trains.

So I'd be going for $100K with three lifelines still available.

<*Sigh*> If only they'd had DD when I was in the HS...
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am

TheConfessor wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * 1961
"Good Soldier Yossarian" is the title of a 1951 Time magazine review of what classic novel?
This is probably a typo. The book came out in 1961.
Fixed.

I had to guess on the spelling of Ayana's name, so if anyone knows if that's wrong, I'll correct it, too. Luckily, Eric has been an expert before; otherwise, I'd have been completely clueless on how to spell his surname.

And we on the BBTranscriptTeam do strive for accuracy, so we'll accept corrections to the transcripts without taking offense.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:42 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Take Me to the River

Answer
He probably should have gone with ATE first.
Or just made the logical connection that Moscow is in Russia and the Volga is in Russia, so maybe...
earendel wrote:

Art's first answer is
Spoiler

Art's second answer is
Spoiler

Answer
Time for my first lifeline - and believe it or not, it's the DD. I'm sure it's either trains or bicycles, so I'll make those my two final answers, starting with trains.

Ugh. Another one of those ridiculous phobia questions.

So what do the roots of siderodromophobia mean? All I could think of was sidereal time, which led to the hunch that this was a fear of jet lag, which would have made JetBlue my answer. Definitely time to use a Google PAF here.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:03 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:He probably should have gone with ATE first.
Or just made the logical connection that Moscow is in Russia and the Volga is in Russia, so maybe...
Well, of course, but since he didn't, I don't think calling one of his friends was a very good idea, though one never knows.
earendel wrote:

Art's first answer is
Spoiler

Art's second answer is
Spoiler

Answer

Ugh. Another one of those ridiculous phobia questions.

So what do the roots of siderodromophobia mean? All I could think of was sidereal time, which led to the hunch that this was a fear of jet lag, which would have made JetBlue my answer. Definitely time to use a Google PAF here.
I was also drawn to "siderial", but it's no help. "Dromo" is Greek for "avenue", which doesn't do anything, either. But assuming that thalassaphobia would be used for C and acrophobia for A, that leaves the other two for the DD.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:51 am

From a quick glimpse at phobia lists on the Web, there does not appear to be a name for "the fear of cruise ships". Interestingly, while Earendel did give the name for the fear of the sea, there appear to be a large number of people who actually are afraid of big boats, even if they are in a port, and they just can see them.

There also was not a listed name for the actual fear of the airplane itself, while a fear of flying was listed as aviophobia, aviatophobia, aerophobia, and pteromerhanophobia. (Aerophobia apparently is used more for the fear of the air quality during airplane travel.)

The fear of a bicycle is cyclophobia.

Siderodromophobia covers the fear of trains, railraods, and train travel.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 am

And what's the fear of message boards?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:14 am

Appa23 wrote:Siderodromophobia covers the fear of trains, railraods, and train travel.
I know there are websites that have long lists of phobias, most of which I suspect were coined by folks who thought they were very clever, whether or not anyone was ever actually diagnosed with such a phobia. I'm still trying to analyze the roots that would allow someone who hasn't memorized those lists to derive this fact.

Ear says that "dromo" means "avenue". What does "sidero" mean, which added to "dromo" would signify trains, railroads, and train travel?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#16 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:15 am

ulysses5019 wrote:And what's the fear of message boards?
The psychiatric term for that is ulysavaterror.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:28 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote:Siderodromophobia covers the fear of trains, railraods, and train travel.
I know there are websites that have long lists of phobias, most of which I suspect were coined by folks who thought they were very clever, whether or not anyone was ever actually diagnosed with such a phobia. I'm still trying to analyze the roots that would allow someone who hasn't memorized those lists to derive this fact.

Ear says that "dromo" means "avenue". What does "sidero" mean, which added to "dromo" would signify trains, railroads, and train travel?
"Sider" is Latin for "star".

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:29 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

So how does a "star avenue" equate to a railroad? :?

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: I know there are websites that have long lists of phobias, most of which I suspect were coined by folks who thought they were very clever, whether or not anyone was ever actually diagnosed with such a phobia. I'm still trying to analyze the roots that would allow someone who hasn't memorized those lists to derive this fact.

I haven't the slightest idea.

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:59 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: "Sider" is Latin for "star".
That's why I think all those phobia lists are bogus!

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: So how does a "star avenue" equate to a railroad? :?
Yeah, but evidently the BAM question writers taken them seriously, else there wouldn't be so many questions.

wintergreen48

#22 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:12 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Wrong language. 'Sideros' is Greek for 'iron,' and 'dromos' is Greek for 'running' or 'course' (the 'hippodrome' was the race course, for example). So 'siderodrome' would kind of mean the 'iron way' or 'iron road'. Parallels French, where 'railroad' is 'chemin de fer,' literally, 'road of iron'.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

MarleysGh0st

#23 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:13 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: I haven't the slightest idea.
Yeah, but evidently the BAM question writers taken them seriously, else there wouldn't be so many questions.
Have you ever known me to meekly accept the decisions of TPTB? :twisted:

earendel

#24 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:31 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: I know there are websites that have long lists of phobias, most of which I suspect were coined by folks who thought they were very clever, whether or not anyone was ever actually diagnosed with such a phobia. I'm still trying to analyze the roots that would allow someone who hasn't memorized those lists to derive this fact.

Wrong language. 'Sideros' is Greek for 'iron,' and 'dromos' is Greek for 'running' or 'course' (the 'hippodrome' was the race course, for example). So 'siderodrome' would kind of mean the 'iron way' or 'iron road'. Parallels French, where 'railroad' is 'chemin de fer,' literally, 'road of iron'.
Interesting. My NT Greek lexicon shows sidHrous (with H standing in for "eta") as the root word. Presumably the Latin "sider" is a variation of "aster", meaning "star". It would make more sense for a phobia to be described in one language rather than two.

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:33 am

No transcript thread for a What Else would be complete if we left out the link to his IMBD page, so here it is:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0453903/

Reviewing the list of credits, I found what must be his most famous quote, when he played Detective Foster in Beverly Hills Cop.
Axel Foley: What? Y'all the second team?
Detective McCabe: We're the first team.
Detective Foster: Yeah, and we're not gonna fall for a banana in the tailpipe.
Axel Foley: [mocking him] You're not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe? It should be more natural, brother. It should flow out, like this - "Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!" See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long.
:lol: