Transcript 04/16/09 - Art Kimbro (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
wintergreen48

Re: Transcript 04/16/09 - Art Kimbro (carryover)

#26 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Art Kimbro
Northridge, CA
Voiceover actor

$8,000 * Chart Toppers
Chart-topping artist Taylor Swift is a young up-and-comer in what musical genre?

A: R&B B: Country
C: Gospel D: Rap
Answer
B: Country ( 21 )
$16,000 * Take Me to the River
Stretching more than 2,000 miles from northwest of Moscow to the Caspian Sea, what is the longest river in Europe?

A: Seine B: Danube
C: Rhine D: Volga

With 19 seconds left, Art decides to Phone A Friend.

Art's PAF team are his coworker, Mike, Woodland Hills, CA; his friend, Steve, Burbank, CA; and his father-in-law, Dave, Woodbury, MN. Art decides to call Dave.

Dave: Oh, my! What was the first one?

Art: The Seine, the Danube, the Rhine, the Volga. Ten seconds.

Dave: I would say the Danube.

Art: The Danube? How sure are you?

Dave: That's a guess.

Art: That's a guess?

Dave: Yep.

With 15 seconds left, Art decides to Ask The Expert.

Eric: Alright, it's definitely not the Rhine or the Seine. I'm almost certain that it is the Volga, B, which is definitely a river in Russia, and which is definitely--I'm almost certain flows by Moscow. So I would go with B: Volga.

Art: How positive are you about that?

Eric: I'm about 80% sure.

Art: 80%?

Eric: Yep.

Answer
D: Volga ( 5 )
[

The juxtaposition of these questions puzzled me. I had no idea at all about the $8,000 question-- never heard of this guy, ever-- whereas the $16,000 question seemed, to me, to be something that belonged around $1,000, because there were no real distractors, and even if you did not know 'what is the longest river in Europe?' (which is a pretty common trivia question-- in fact, I think that any trivia expert ought to have a list of things like 'tallest mountain' and 'longest river' and 'largest sea' and 'largest city' and 'largest country by population/size,' etc., for each continent), when they tell you that the river is near Moscow (which I think everyone knows is well within Russia, at least, the European Moscow is in Russia, unlike the US Moscow which I think is in Idaho), it would seem pretty obvious that the answer must be a river that is in Russia, and the Volga is the only one of the four choices that is in Russia. WITHOUT the Moscow clue it might have been a little tricky, especially with the inclusion of the Danube (which is the second largest river in Europe), but with the Moscow clue you know that the river MUST be in Russia, and the other three rivers are all very famous rivers that are famous for being someplace OTHER than Russia, and two of them don't come anywhere NEAR Russia-- the Seine is entirely within France, and the capital that the Seine passes through is Paris; the Rhine is clearly associated with Germany, although it does pass through or border other countries (all of which are on the western-- away from Russia-- side of Germany), and while the Danube could be a bit of a distractor (it being the second longest river in Europe), it goes through and is associated with several European capitals (none of which is ANYWHERE NEAR MOSCOW), and it does go through Ukraine, which was part of Imperial Russia, and was part of the Soviet Union, but Ukraine is not now in Russia (and I would bet dollars to donuts that most people don't associate the Danube with Ukraine anyway), so Danube couldn't be the answer. But then, when other people who are supposed to be experts aren't sure of the answer, well, it's a puzzlement.

I still think, though, that the $8,000 question was a lot harder than the $16,000 question.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

wintergreen48

#27 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 am

earendel wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:
earendel wrote: "Sider" is Latin for "star".
Wrong language. 'Sideros' is Greek for 'iron,' and 'dromos' is Greek for 'running' or 'course' (the 'hippodrome' was the race course, for example). So 'siderodrome' would kind of mean the 'iron way' or 'iron road'. Parallels French, where 'railroad' is 'chemin de fer,' literally, 'road of iron'.
Interesting. My NT Greek lexicon shows sidHrous (with H standing in for "eta") as the root word. Presumably the Latin "sider" is a variation of "aster", meaning "star". It would make more sense for a phobia to be described in one language rather than two.
I think that most 'phobia' names come out of Greek anyway-- after all, 'phobia' itself is Greek ('phobos' = 'fear'), so it would, as you point out, make more sense to use one language (Greek) rather than two to describe a 'phobia.' Off the top of my head, the names for all of the 'phobias' that I can think of do, in fact, come out of Greek.

MarleysGh0st

#28 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:46 am

wintergreen48 wrote:But then, when other people who are supposed to be experts aren't sure of the answer, well, it's a puzzlement.
Even though Meredith fauns over this wonderful trivia team from Rochester, they could still use some instruction on the fine points of being an expert from Ogi. Maybe then Eric wouldn't have gotten hung up on not being certain whether the Volga flowed through Moscow, spending a little time to convincingly eliminate all the other choices, as you just did.

Appa23

#29 Post by Appa23 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:53 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
Northridge, CA
Voiceover actor

$8,000 * Chart Toppers
Chart-topping artist Taylor Swift is a young up-and-comer in what musical genre?

Answer
$16,000 * Take Me to the River
Stretching more than 2,000 miles from northwest of Moscow to the Caspian Sea, what is the longest river in Europe?

A: Seine B: Danube
C: Rhine D: Volga

With 19 seconds left, Art decides to Phone A Friend.

Art's PAF team are his coworker, Mike, Woodland Hills, CA; his friend, Steve, Burbank, CA; and his father-in-law, Dave, Woodbury, MN. Art decides to call Dave.

Dave: Oh, my! What was the first one?

Art: The Seine, the Danube, the Rhine, the Volga. Ten seconds.

Dave: I would say the Danube.

Art: The Danube? How sure are you?

Dave: That's a guess.

Art: That's a guess?

Dave: Yep.

With 15 seconds left, Art decides to Ask The Expert.

Eric: Alright, it's definitely not the Rhine or the Seine. I'm almost certain that it is the Volga, B, which is definitely a river in Russia, and which is definitely--I'm almost certain flows by Moscow. So I would go with B: Volga.

Art: How positive are you about that?

Eric: I'm about 80% sure.

Art: 80%?

Eric: Yep.

Answer
D: Volga ( 5 )
[

The juxtaposition of these questions puzzled me. I had no idea at all about the $8,000 question-- never heard of this guy, ever-- whereas the $16,000 question seemed, to me, to be something that belonged around $1,000, because there were no real distractors, and even if you did not know 'what is the longest river in Europe?' (which is a pretty common trivia question-- in fact, I think that any trivia expert ought to have a list of things like 'tallest mountain' and 'longest river' and 'largest sea' and 'largest city' and 'largest country by population/size,' etc., for each continent), when they tell you that the river is near Moscow (which I think everyone knows is well within Russia, at least, the European Moscow is in Russia, unlike the US Moscow which I think is in Idaho), it would seem pretty obvious that the answer must be a river that is in Russia, and the Volga is the only one of the four choices that is in Russia. WITHOUT the Moscow clue it might have been a little tricky, especially with the inclusion of the Danube (which is the second largest river in Europe), but with the Moscow clue you know that the river MUST be in Russia, and the other three rivers are all very famous rivers that are famous for being someplace OTHER than Russia, and two of them don't come anywhere NEAR Russia-- the Seine is entirely within France, and the capital that the Seine passes through is Paris; the Rhine is clearly associated with Germany, although it does pass through or border other countries (all of which are on the western-- away from Russia-- side of Germany), and while the Danube could be a bit of a distractor (it being the second longest river in Europe), it goes through and is associated with several European capitals (none of which is ANYWHERE NEAR MOSCOW), and it does go through Ukraine, which was part of Imperial Russia, and was part of the Soviet Union, but Ukraine is not now in Russia (and I would bet dollars to donuts that most people don't associate the Danube with Ukraine anyway), so Danube couldn't be the answer. But then, when other people who are supposed to be experts aren't sure of the answer, well, it's a puzzlement.

I still think, though, that the $8,000 question was a lot harder than the $16,000 question.
The $8000 question is made even harder when you do not know that Taylor Swift is a teenage girl. :)

Swift apparently was the best-selling artist of 2008, with her two albums both placing in the Top Ten of year-end sales.
Last edited by Appa23 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

christie1111
11:11

#30 Post by christie1111 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:58 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: I know there are websites that have long lists of phobias, most of which I suspect were coined by folks who thought they were very clever, whether or not anyone was ever actually diagnosed with such a phobia. I'm still trying to analyze the roots that would allow someone who hasn't memorized those lists to derive this fact.

Ear says that "dromo" means "avenue". What does "sidero" mean, which added to "dromo" would signify trains, railroads, and train travel?
"Sider" is Latin for "star".
So how does a "star avenue" equate to a railroad? :?
Fear of the musical "Starlight Express"?

:D
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

#31 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 am

wintergreen48 wrote:Wrong language. 'Sideros' is Greek for 'iron,' and 'dromos' is Greek for 'running' or 'course' (the 'hippodrome' was the race course, for example). So 'siderodrome' would kind of mean the 'iron way' or 'iron road'. Parallels French, where 'railroad' is 'chemin de fer,' literally, 'road of iron'.
Thanks for this explanation, wintergreen. That does make sense.

Still WWOQ, but a sensible one. :wink:

wintergreen48

#32 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:51 pm

Appa23 wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:
Northridge, CA
Voiceover actor

$8,000 * Chart Toppers

Answer
The juxtaposition of these questions puzzled me. I had no idea at all about the $8,000 question-- never heard of this guy, ever.
The $8000 question is made even harder when you do not know that Taylor Swift is a teenage girl. :)
Doh!

Sisyphean Fan
I Wanna Rock!

#33 Post by Sisyphean Fan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:58 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote: The $8000 question is made even harder when you do not know that Taylor Swift is a teenage girl. :)
Doh!
If you listen to any current radio at all, you've heard her. She does that horrible Romeo & Juliet song (Love Story) that they have played INTERMINABLY for months. Just when it starts to fade and you think you'll get relief, here it comes charging back again!

She also had a hit a while back with Teardrops on My Guitar, or something like that. And I thought at the time that they could never be another song as insipid and annoying as that one......but she proved me wrong!
Push it real good!