Transcript 04/24/2009 - Dave Haddy (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/24/2009 - Dave Haddy (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Dave Haddy
Minneapolis, MN

Topic tree:
- My Dogs Are Barking
- The Nobel Prize
- Words and Pictures
- Under One Condition
- Fifty Big Ones
- Monkey Business
- The United Nations
- Hot Soup!
- Definition Please
- What Are We?
- Fight the Power
- Sing-Alongs
- The Grind
- Curses!
- That Smarts

Meredith recaps Dave's intentions with his winnings from yesterday's show. His inlaws worked some hard jobs during their lives; they don't know when they can retire or what kind of retirement they can have. The money is immaterial for him if he can help them out. Dave's wife Amy is in the relationship seat. He met her at a cartoon convention; he went to an after-convention party and saw her jumping on a bed acting like a ten-year old and he knew that was the girl for him.

Dave has his ATA lifeline still available.

$100K - Wittmaack-Ekbon syndrome is a medical condition more commonly known as what?
A - chronic fatigue
B - carpal tunnel
C - restless legs
D - sleep apnea

Dave has no idea so he decides to ask the audience, stopping the clock with 32 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 21%
B - 15%
C - 42%
D - 22%
Dave loves the audience and he's certain they're right but he needs to do good with the money and if he blows it he can't do as much as he could, so he decides to walk away.
Spoiler
C - restless legs (18)
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Transcript 04/24/2009 - Dave Haddy (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:47 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Dave Haddy
Minneapolis, MN

Topic tree:
- My Dogs Are Barking
- The Nobel Prize
- Words and Pictures
- Under One Condition
- Fifty Big Ones
- Monkey Business
- The United Nations
- Hot Soup!
- Definition Please
- What Are We?
- Fight the Power
- Sing-Alongs
- The Grind
- Curses!
- That Smarts

Meredith recaps Dave's intentions with his winnings from yesterday's show. His inlaws worked some hard jobs during their lives; they don't know when they can retire or what kind of retirement they can have. The money is immaterial for him if he can help them out. Dave's wife Amy is in the relationship seat. He met her at a cartoon convention; he went to an after-convention party and saw her jumping on a bed acting like a ten-year old and he knew that was the girl for him.

$100K - Wittmach-Ekbon syndrome is a medical condition more commonly known as what?
A - chronic fatigue
B - carpal tunnel
C - restless legs
D - sleep apnea

Dave has no idea so he decides to ask the audience, stopping the clock with 32 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 21%
B - 15%
C - 42%
D - 22%
Dave loves the audience and he's certain they're right but he needs to do good with the money and if he blows it he can't do as much as he could, so he decides to walk away.
Spoiler
C - restless legs (18)

Would anyone pull the trigger with those ATA results?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:01 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Minneapolis, MN

Topic tree:
- My Dogs Are Barking
- The Nobel Prize
- Words and Pictures
- Under One Condition
- Fifty Big Ones
- Monkey Business
- The United Nations
- Hot Soup!
- Definition Please
- What Are We?
- Fight the Power
- Sing-Alongs
- The Grind
- Curses!
- That Smarts

$100K - Wittmach-Ekbon syndrome is a medical condition more commonly known as what?
A - chronic fatigue
B - carpal tunnel
C - restless legs
D - sleep apnea

ATA results
ATA results:
A - 21%
B - 15%
C - 42%
D - 22%
Spoiler
C - restless legs (18)

Not me -- not unless I knew there was a bunch of BBs in the audience.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

hbomb1947

#4 Post by hbomb1947 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Minneapolis, MN

Topic tree:
- My Dogs Are Barking
- The Nobel Prize
- Words and Pictures
- Under One Condition
- Fifty Big Ones
- Monkey Business
- The United Nations
- Hot Soup!
- Definition Please
- What Are We?
- Fight the Power
- Sing-Alongs
- The Grind
- Curses!
- That Smarts

A - chronic fatigue
B - carpal tunnel
C - restless legs
D - sleep apnea

ATA results
ATA results:
A - 21%
B - 15%
C - 42%
D - 22%
Spoiler
C - restless legs (18)

Not me -- not unless I knew there was a bunch of BBs in the audience.
Not sure that I would rely on those results anyway; but still I'm impressed that the correct answer got such a substantial plurality. I myself certainly didn't really have much of a clue on this one, although I had pretty much ruled out chronic fatigue (because there's already Epstein-Barr, and it seemed unlikely there'd be another hyphenated syndrome dealing w/ essentially the same malady).

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Minneapolis, MN

Topic tree:
- My Dogs Are Barking
- The Nobel Prize
- Words and Pictures
- Under One Condition
- Fifty Big Ones
- Monkey Business
- The United Nations
- Hot Soup!
- Definition Please
- What Are We?
- Fight the Power
- Sing-Alongs
- The Grind
- Curses!
- That Smarts

A - chronic fatigue
B - carpal tunnel
C - restless legs
D - sleep apnea

ATA results
ATA results:
A - 21%
B - 15%
C - 42%
D - 22%
Spoiler
C - restless legs (18)

I can't be sure if I would, if I ever got in the actual Hot Seat, but I was thinking that this was an awfully good ATA result for a high level question. A nice 20% margin over the other choices, with no spike on the second place answer and nothing that I noticed that would make C a wicked distractor. Since this is a level where I'd still like the odds, I think I'd have gone for it.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Minneapolis, MN

Topic tree:
- My Dogs Are Barking
- The Nobel Prize
- Words and Pictures
- Under One Condition
- Fifty Big Ones
- Monkey Business
- The United Nations
- Hot Soup!
- Definition Please
- What Are We?
- Fight the Power
- Sing-Alongs
- The Grind
- Curses!
- That Smarts

A - chronic fatigue
B - carpal tunnel
C - restless legs
D - sleep apnea

ATA results
ATA results:
A - 21%
B - 15%
C - 42%
D - 22%
Spoiler
C - restless legs (18)

I can't be sure if I would, if I ever got in the actual Hot Seat, but I was thinking that this was an awfully good ATA result for a high level question. A nice 20% margin over the other choices, with no spike on the second place answer and nothing that I noticed that would make C a wicked distractor. Since this is a level where I'd still like the odds, I think I'd have gone for it.
Good analysis mr. gh0st. This is what I was thinking as well. The bottom three seemed to elicit an even distribution of guesses and there was a spike for the correct answer.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:04 am

Minneapolis, MN
Never did learn what Dave did for a living.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - Wittmach-Ekbon syndrome is a medical condition more commonly known as what?
A - chronic fatigue
B - carpal tunnel
C - restless legs
D - sleep apnea

ATA results
ATA results:
A - 21%
B - 15%
C - 42%
D - 22%
Spoiler
C - restless legs (18)
I'm not sure I would trust the audience to know this, even though it turns out they were right. As for me, I'm pretty sure it's not chronic fatigue or sleep apnea and I don't think it's carpal tunnel (I 've known several people with this problem and never heard them mention Wittmach-Ekbon. I'd go with the DD (saving ATE for later) and make C my first final answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:03 am

I'm guessing that enough people in the audience have restless leg syndrome that they knew what it meant.

Now all y'all know what Gullain-Barre is too! Wonder if that will be a question soon, or if Wittmach-Ekbon did it in.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:48 am

The kind of question I would most dislike. To get taken out by a question in the medical field. Not that I can claim to know everything but it doesn't make you feel any less bad to miss a question in an area you feel is a strength.

Maybe even worse to me than if I were to get taken out by a simple geography question...

Google and most medical sites seems to think it is "Wittmaack-Ekbom" syndrome. Not that it would have help me to see it written out. Not sure if I had any lifelines at this point but if so would have to use them. Doubt I would have trusted ATA here even with the decent outcome. It would be an easy google PAF.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:The kind of question I would most dislike. To get taken out by a question in the medical field. Not that I can claim to know everything but it doesn't make you feel any less bad to miss a question in an area you feel is a strength.

Maybe even worse to me than if I were to get taken out by a simple geography question...

Google and most medical sites seems to think it is "Wittmaack-Ekbom" syndrome. Not that it would have help me to see it written out. Not sure if I had any lifelines at this point but if so would have to use them. Doubt I would have trusted ATA here even with the decent outcome. It would be an easy google PAF.
I think the transcript is wrong and that the show did use two As.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:The kind of question I would most dislike. To get taken out by a question in the medical field. Not that I can claim to know everything but it doesn't make you feel any less bad to miss a question in an area you feel is a strength.

I think the transcript is wrong and that the show did use two As.
It's possible - I did the transcript and could have missed that second "a".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:48 am

My gut instinct was restless legs, but I'm using lifelines first. I'll ask Bill Nye first. If he's not sure, I'll PAF.