Transcript 04/24/2009 - Richard Winegar

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/24/2009 - Richard Winegar

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Richard Winegar
Malabar, FL
Research biologist

Richard feels confident; it's good to see someone else do well in the Hot Seat.

Topic tree:
- Patently False
- Down Under
- Electoral Votes
- Let's Talk About Sex
- Volcanoes
- The View
- Panamania
- Prescription Labels
- The Ruins
- Spoiler Alert!
- It's Uncanny
- Dynamic Duos
- Office Supplies
- Shhhhhh
- Barbra Streisand

$100 - What Barbra Streisand film shares its title with Bugs Bunny's signature catchphrase?
A - Meet the Fockers
B - What's Up, Doc?
C - The Prince of Tides
D - The Way We Wabbits Were
Spoiler
B - What's Up, Doc? (6)
$200 - Which of these U.S. government agencies has a reputation for extreme secrecy?
A - National Park Service
B - National Weather Service
C - CIA
D - USDA
Spoiler
C - CIA (8)
$300 - "Write Out Loud!" is the slogan of what popular office supply brand?
A - Sharpie
B - Elmer's
C - Swingline
D - Scotch
Spoiler
A - Sharpie (8)
$500 - Which of these familiar duo names consists of two first names instead of two last names?
A - Rodgers & Hammerstein
B - Barnum & Bailey
C - Abbott & Costello
D - Sonny & Cher
Spoiler
D - Sonny & Cher (6)
$1K - Because it can't withstand the high temperatures required to preserve it, which of these vegetables is typically not sold in cans?
A - peas
B - broccoli
C - carrots
D - corn
Spoiler
B - broccoli (5)
commercial break

Richard's wife Pam is in the relationship. They have an interesting hobby; they are birders. They go around the country photographing unusual types of birds. Sometimes they get excited thinking they've found a new species or one that is in a different habitat, but it always turns out it was a problem with the lighting.

Richard has earned the ATE lifeline; today's expert is the host of "Stuff Happens", Bill Nye. Meredith tells Richard that Bill has been perfect this week.

$2K - The statement "Adam Sandler marries Drew Barrymore" ruins of both "The Wedding Singer" and what other movie?
A - 50 First Dates
B - Spanglish
C - Big Daddy
D - Click

Richard looks at the question, then says, "I think I'm going to have to ask the audience." The clock stops with 21 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 92%
B - 1%
C - 2%
D - 5%
Richard giggles when he sees the results. He makes the audience's answer his.
Spoiler
A - 50 First Dates (14)
$4K - Aztec Ruins National Monument is located in what U.S. state?
A - Utah
B - California
C - New Mexico
D - Colorado

Richard ponders, saying (very slowly), "I think it's
Spoiler
New Mexico
but I would like to ask the expert." The clock stops with only 10 seconds left.
ATE conversation
Bill looks at the question. "Boy, if it's not New Mexico I'd be surprised," he says. There are things going on in Utah and Colorado but they're mostly dinosaurs (Bill holds up a toy dinosaur). Bill says it might be a trick question, some tribe that neither he nor Richard has heard about, but if he were in Richard's place, he'd say "C, New Mexico, capital Santa Fe." Meredith comments, "Bill, I think it's probably time for you to take your meds.
Spoiler
C - New Mexico (7)
$8K - The abbreviation "BID," which stands for the Latin phrase "bis in die," indicates that a prescription medication should be taken how?
A - as needed
B - after meals
C - twice a day
D - at bedtime
Spoiler
C - twice a day (21)
commercial break

As they come back from commercial we see Tracy Zothner from Apex, NC, the on-deck contestant. She's eager to get into the Hot Seat because she's unemployed. Meredith asks Richard if he has any advice for Tracy. He says to read the question twice and sometimes go with your gut. He knew the answers on the questions that he used lifelines for, but wanted to "lock in" the answers.

$16K - On December 20, 1989, U.S. forces invaded Panama to take what notorious world leader into custody?
A - "Papa Doc" Duvalier
B - Manuel Noriega
C - Ferdinand Marcos
D - Augusto Pinochet
Spoiler
B - Manuel Noriega (16)
$25K - Which of these famous paintings was partly inspired by the view from a mental hospital window?
A - Rembrandt's "The Night Watch"
B - Monet's "Impression, Sunrise"
C - El Greco's "View of Toledo"
D - Van Gogh's "The Starry Night"

Richard says he'd like to phone a friend, stopping the clock with 16 seconds remaining. On Richard's PAF list are: brother-in-law Robert, Boiling Springs, PA; niece Heather, Swanville, ME; and mother-in-law Anna, Boiling Springs, PA. Richard elects to call Anna.
PAF conversation
Richard reads the question in full, followed by the answers. Anna says that she doesn't know - Richard asks her to say that again because he didn't understand her. Time expires.
Richard still has his Double Dip and he decides to use it. The clock stops again with 8 seconds left.
DD choices
Richard makes D his first final answer. Meredith says he should go with his gut more often.
Spoiler
D - Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" (8)
commercial break

The next category is a natural for Richard because he thinks he's a "natural disaster magnet". He's been through volcanoes, earthquakes, fires, and other disasters. His home has suffered both fire and water damage so the money will come in handy.

$50K - Reaching an altitude of over 80,000 feet, the highest volcano in our Solar System, Olympus Mons, is located on what planet?
A - Venus
B - Mars
C - Saturn
D - Jupiter
Spoiler
B - Mars (37)

THE HORN!!!!!!!!

Richard will return on Monday going for $100K but with no lifelines remaining.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hbomb1947

Re: Transcript 04/24/2009 - Richard Winegar

#2 Post by hbomb1947 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:51 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Richard Winegar
Malabar, FL
Research biologist

[snip]

$50K - Reaching an altitude of over 80,000 feet, the highest volcano in our Solar System, Olympus Mons, is located on what planet?
A - Venus
B - Mars
C - Saturn
D - Jupiter
Spoiler
B - Mars (37)
Wasn't either this, or something very similar, a $250,000 question in Calvinator's stack on PTBAM?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Malabar, FL
Research biologist

[snip]

A - Venus
B - Mars
C - Saturn
D - Jupiter
Spoiler
B - Mars (37)
Wasn't either this, or something very similar, a $250,000 question in Calvinator's stack on PTBAM?
His question was simply which planet has the highest mountain in the solar system. I wish he'd called me as his PAF (I was on his list but he called Rod instead), because I'd have given him the planet and the name of the mountain without waiting for the choices. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:10 am

Malabar, FL
Research biologist
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - The abbreviation "BID," which stands for the Latin phrase "bis in dia," indicates that a prescription medication should be taken how?
A - as needed
B - after meals
C - twice a day
D - at bedtime
Spoiler
C - twice a day (21)
I don't like the phrasing of this question - it's not "how" you take the medicine. "How" implies orally, intravenously, or some other means of delivery. I figured Richard would get this one easily; he probably knows Latin because of his occupation.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Which of these famous paintings was partly inspired by the view from a mental hospital window?
A - Rembrandt's "The Night Watch"
B - Monet's "Impression, Sunrise"
C - El Greco's "View of Toledo"
D - Van Gogh's "The Starry Night"

Richard says he'd like to phone a friend, stopping the clock with 16 seconds remaining. On Richard's PAF list are: brother-in-law Robert, Boiling Springs, PA; niece Heather, Swanville, ME; and mother-in-law Anna, Boiling Springs, PA. Richard elects to call Anna.
PAF conversation
Richard reads the question in full, followed by the answers. Anna says that she doesn't know - Richard asks her to say that again because he didn't understand her. Time expires.
Richard still has his Double Dip and he decides to use it. The clock stops again with 8 seconds left.
DD choices
Richard makes D his first final answer. Meredith says he should go with his gut more often.
Spoiler
D - Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" (8)
"Mental hospital" almost screams out "Van Gogh" to me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - Reaching an altitude of over 80,000 feet, the highest volcano in our Solar System, Olympus Mons, is located on what planet?
A - Venus
B - Mars
C - Saturn
D - Jupiter
Spoiler
B - Mars (37)
Paging The Calvinator!

When this question came up I started laughing; elwing asked me why so I explained to her that one of my BBs had had a question very similar to this on PTBAM.

So once again I'm looking at the third tier with all lifelines still available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

lilclyde54

#5 Post by lilclyde54 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks transcript team.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: . . .

A - Venus
B - Mars
C - Saturn
D - Jupiter
Spoiler
B - Mars (37)
.. .
About a million years ago, I played on an Adult Knowledge Bowl team with two former High School Knowledge Bowl champions. They knew this in an instant, and so I knew it when it came up for Cal.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:17 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: As they come back from commercial we see Tracy Zothner from Apex, NC, the on-deck contestant. She's eager to get into the Hot Seat because she's unemployed. Meredith asks Richard if he has any advice for Tracy. He says to read the question twice and sometimes go with your gut. He knew the answers on the questions that he used lifelines for, but wanted to "lock in" the answers.
Is Richard the first contestant to survive the curse of the introduction of the on-deck contestant? :twisted:

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:19 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: As they come back from commercial we see Tracy Zothner from Apex, NC, the on-deck contestant. She's eager to get into the Hot Seat because she's unemployed. Meredith asks Richard if he has any advice for Tracy. He says to read the question twice and sometimes go with your gut. He knew the answers on the questions that he used lifelines for, but wanted to "lock in" the answers.
Is Richard the first contestant to survive the curse of the introduction of the on-deck contestant? :twisted:
I'm not sure. I remember saying to elwing, "Uh, oh," when she was introduced, but it was too soon to cue the ominous organ music.

megaaddict

#9 Post by megaaddict » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:35 pm

So do we know how long Richard got -- er, I mean how much time Richard had to find out everything he could "about sex?"

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by etaoin22 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: bid:

I suspect nursing/pharmacy types would be OK with considering 'when' as part of 'how' in teaching or explaining to a patient.

I also suspect someone wants to be pressing a keypad with a vowel "a" on it, soon, along with b, c, and d....
because Bid is "bis in die" (die = dee-ay). Sorry to be picky.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:15 pm

etaoin22 wrote:Re: bid:

I suspect nursing/pharmacy types would be OK with considering 'when' as part of 'how' in teaching or explaining to a patient.

I also suspect someone wants to be pressing a keypad with a vowel "a" on it, soon, along with b, c, and d....
because Bid is "bis in die" (die = dee-ay). Sorry to be picky.
I don't mind - after all, if I'm going to play the curmudgeon with respect to acronyms/abbreviations, I can't fault someone for being picky, especially in an area in which he or she may have expertise.

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:55 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:As they come back from commercial we see Tracy Zothner from Apex, NC, the on-deck contestant. She's eager to get into the Hot Seat because she's unemployed. Meredith asks Richard if he has any advice for Tracy. He says to read the question twice and sometimes go with your gut. He knew the answers on the questions that he used lifelines for, but wanted to "lock in" the answers.
Did Tracy get the Barbara Mayhall-Hunter treatment? Because she didn't get into the Hot Seat immediately after Richard.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - Reaching an altitude of over 80,000 feet, the highest volcano in our Solar System, Olympus Mons, is located on what planet?
A - Venus
B - Mars
C - Saturn
D - Jupiter
Is Cal available for PAF duties? :P

Nihil obstat®