WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:21 am 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4351
Kristie Applegren
Charleston, SC
Medical student


Kristie comes out all aquiver with excitement, waves to the crowd, then when she shakes hands with Meredith she squeals with delight, saying "I'm here, I'm here! This is amazing!" Meredith welcomes Kristie to her "home".

$100 - A cheerful beauty has a knack for attracting creeps in the 1998 gross-out comedy "There's Something About" whom?

A - Elise
B - Mary
C - Angie
D - Nancy Grace

$200 - Which of these "sound effect" words commonly represents the sound something makes when it bounces?

A - Slurp
B - Boing
C - Whack
D - Zonk

$300 - A final act that triggers a specific reaction is said to be "the straw that broke" what animal's "back"?

A - camel
B - zebra
C - cheetah
D - alligator

$500 - Which of the following is the title of a popular workout video and not a major motion picture?

A - 8 Mile
B - 8 Seconds
C - 8MM
D - :08 Minute Buns

$1K - What type of scientist is commonly referred to as a "prehistorian"?

A - nutritionist
B - botanist
C - archaeologist
D - astrophysicist

Kristie says that an archaeologist examines very old things like dinosaurs.

Commercial break

Kristie is a medical student who would like to be a pediatrician.

$2K - From 2003 to 2007, presidential hopeful Mitt Romney served as governor of what U.S. state?

A - Massachusetts
B - Michigan
C - Utah
D - South Carolina

Kristie knows that Romney's from the northeast and tried to get a health care plan passed. Massachusetts has a universal health care plan.

$4K - Which of these actresses shares her first name with a common shade of brown?

A - Winona Ryder
B - Dakota Fanning
C - Sienna Miller
D - Reese Witherspoon

Kristie recognizes the word "sienna" as a color of paint.

$8K - According to a popular urban legend, drinking soda with what candy makes your stomach explode?

A - Sour Patch Kids
B - Pixy Stix
C - Swedish Fish
D - Pop Rocks

Kristie has heard this but she's never been brave enough to try it. But she doesn't think it would hold up in the medical literature.

Commercial break

During the break Kristie told Meredith she was nervous. Meredith says she looks cool, calm and collected.

$16K - The question "Who is John Galt?" is posed throughout what classic novel?

A - Catch-22
B - Ulysses
C - Native Son
D - Atlas Shrugged

Kristie has only read one of them and it's not Ulysses. She's not sure but she thinks the audience is very well-read so she decides to ask them.

ATA results
A - 17%
B - 12%
C - 27%
D - 44%


Kristie says that everyone who knows the answer will answer it right, and those who don't will spread out among all the answers, so scientifically speaking it should be "D". The one Kristie read was Catch-22 but she didn't want to say that and prejudice the audience. She decides to call her brother Brooke. She paraphrases the question - "A quote from a classic novel, 'Who is John Galt' and spells out 'Galt'. She then asks if it's Native Son or Atlas Shrugged. He immediately replies, "Atlas Shrugged." It turns out that Kristie's scientific analysis was correct, but Kristie says she wasn't sure and Meredith says she was right to use the other lifeline.

THE HORN!!!!!

Kristie will return tomorrow with her 50/50 remaining.

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (Mary)
$200 - B (Boing)
$300 - A (camel)
$500 - D (:08 Minute Buns)
$1K - C (archaeologist)
$2K - A (Massachusetts)
$4K - C (Sienna Miller)
$8K - D (Pop Rocks)
$16K - D (Atlas Shrugged)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12648
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Kristie Applegren
Charleston, SC
Medical student


Kristie comes out all aquiver with excitement, waves to the crowd, then when she shakes hands with Meredith she squeals with delight, saying "I'm here, I'm here! This is amazing!" Meredith welcomes Kristie to her "home".


The transcript doesn't do justice to Kristie's awestruck reaction. One thing I've noticed lately, though, and that's how people run out of the tunnel and do a double wave to the audience. I wonder if they're being coached to do that.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$2K - From 2003 to 2007, presidential hopeful Mitt Romney served as governor of what U.S. state?

A - Massachusetts
B - Michigan
C - Utah
D - South Carolina

Kristie knows that Romney's from the northeast and tried to get a health care plan passed. Massachusetts has a universal health care plan.


When the question came up I told elwing that Utah and Michigan would be distractors. Being from South Carolina gave Kristie an advantage on this one, but her reasoning was very good.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$16K - The question "Who is John Galt?" is posed throughout what classic novel?

A - Catch-22
B - Ulysses
C - Native Son
D - Atlas Shrugged


A former chief of our division had this question on the "marquee" screen saver for his computer. He was (is) a big Ayn Rand fan.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Kristie says that everyone who knows the answer will answer it right, and those who don't will spread out among all the answers, so scientifically speaking it should be "D". The one Kristie read was Catch-22 but she didn't want to say that and prejudice the audience.


That was a very well-reasoned approach to the breakdown in the audience responses; too bad she didn't go ahead and take the audience's answer.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
She decides to call her brother Brooke. She paraphrases the question - "A quote from a classic novel, 'Who is John Galt' and spells out 'Galt'. She then asks if it's Native Son or Atlas Shrugged. He immediately replies, "Atlas Shrugged." It turns out that Kristie's scientific analysis was correct, but Kristie says she wasn't sure and Meredith says she was right to use the other lifeline.


Kristie did a good job with this, too, breaking the question down to its essential element ("quote from a classic novel") and reading the two choices she wasn't sure about. Her brother knew it immediately. Too bad she didn't save this lifeline because I figure she'll need it on today's show.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am
Posts: 27738
Location: Elsewhere
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Kristie says that everyone who knows the answer will answer it right, and those who don't will spread out among all the answers, so scientifically speaking it should be "D". The one Kristie read was Catch-22 but she didn't want to say that and prejudice the audience.


That was a very well-reasoned approach to the breakdown in the audience responses; too bad she didn't go ahead and take the audience's answer.



Agreed. She basically repeated our general theory of the ATA and justified why an overwhelming vote shouldn't be necessary. And they she discarded it. <sigh>

Nihil obstat, here. And a prediction that she'll be one and done today.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:54 am
Posts: 7935
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$8K - According to a popular urban legend, drinking soda with what candy makes your stomach explode?

I've had a Pepsi with my Pop Rocks many times before. Total bullpuckey.

9 down, 6 to go for me... all lifelines intact.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 7214

$16K - The question "Who is John Galt?" is posed throughout what classic novel?

A - Catch-22
B - Ulysses
C - Native Son
D - Atlas Shrugged


Apparently the fans of Ayn Creep Rand still write questions for the show (Amaz got bit by one on her stack of Qs).


Kristie says that everyone who knows the answer will answer it right, and those who don't will spread out among all the answers, so scientifically speaking it should be "D". The one Kristie read was Catch-22 but she didn't want to say that and prejudice the audience. She decides to call her brother Brooke.



She did everything right here except go with her gut about the point spread on the ATA. Why not trust it???

So far so good for me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kroxquo, silvercamaro and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maƫl Soucaze.