QOD Thursday 12-06 "ROCK ME, AMADEUS"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

QOD Thursday 12-06 "ROCK ME, AMADEUS"

#1 Post by fantine33 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:20 am

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't sign in to post. It kept just bringing me back to the sign in screen. What's up with that?

ROCK ME, AMADEUS

There is nothing new under the sun. And people hear the same old stuff time and again, whether they know it or not. Before sampling became popular, musicians would just grab some classical stuff because they did it first and better, anyway. And despite my title, there is no Mozart today (sorry, Annie, there are songs swiped from Mozart, but they're not really well known ones).

1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp.

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard.

3. This was Barry Manilow’s a song from Barry Manilow's first album, which became a hit when it was re-released after he hit big with "Mandy". He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit.

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2.

5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work?

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit?

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie.
Last edited by fantine33 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:27 am

Spoiler
ROCK ME, AMADEUS

There is nothing new under the sun. And people hear the same old stuff time and again, whether they know it or not. Before sampling became popular, musicians would just grab some classical stuff because they did it first and better, anyway. And despite my title, there is no Mozart today (sorry, Annie, there are songs swiped from Mozart, but they're not really well known ones).

1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp. - Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah?

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard. - Handel?

3. This was Barry Manilow’s first number one single. He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit. - Copacabana?

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2. - All By Myself?

5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work?

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit? - Lover's Concerto (I was born in the 70's, but I think this is the song they did, adn it certainly fits the theme)

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie. - Mr. Holland's Opus?

MarleysGh0st

Re: QOD Thursday 12-06 "ROCK ME, AMADEUS"

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:27 am

Spoiler
1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp.
Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard.
Pachabel

3. This was Barry Manilow’s first number one single. He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit.
Errrrr...

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2.
Ummm....

Piano Concerto in A minor

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit?
Well, yes, I did see that movie, but I forget the song...

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie.
Mr. Holland's Opus

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:28 am

I didn't see Question 5, but wouldn't have had even a guess on it anyway....

And they're playing Barry Manilow right now on the Music Choice channel I am watching.... eerie!

lb13

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:34 am

fantine33 wrote:Sorry for the delay, I couldn't sign in to post. It kept just bringing me back to the sign in screen. What's up with that?

ROCK ME, AMADEUS

3. This was Barry Manilow’s first number one single. He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit.

Spoiler
1. Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah (I love Allan Sherman's songs)
2. Bach
3. Mandy
4. All By Myself (the only song of his I can name)
5. It may be famous to some, but not to me - NAC.

QOD: Lover's Concerto (the only song by this group I could name)

5 Point Bonus: Mr. Holland's Opus
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:38 am

Spoiler
1. Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah

2. Bach

3. I Write the Songs (wag)

4. nope

5. nope

QoD

Again with the nope.

sorry - edited to spoiler it

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:43 am

Spoiler
"Camp Grenada" ("Hello, mudda. hello, fadda. Here I am at Camp Grenada...")

pass

I don't listen to Miss Manilow... pass

"All By Myself"

pass

pass

"Mr. Holland's Opus"

wintergreen48

#8 Post by wintergreen48 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:51 am

Spoiler
1.Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah

2. JS Bach

3. NAC (I know nothing of Barry Manilow).

4. Never heard anything by Eric Carmen.

5. Never heard anything by Alice Cooper

QOD: Lover's Concerto. Original was probably not actually written by Bach, although it is included in the Anna Magdalena Notebook.

5 Point Bonus: I remember the 60's, but not Dreyfuss movie in which this appeared.
Edited to do the spoiler thingie
Last edited by wintergreen48 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starfish1113

#9 Post by starfish1113 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 am

Spoiler
I'm traveling to the Land of the Mouse tomorrow morning (4 am, ugh!), so this might be my last QoD for a while. Maybe not, though. I often fire up the laptop even on vacation!

2. Nope
3. Mandy
4. All By Myself
5. Nope

QoD: A Lover's Concerto

Bonus: Well, I knew this right off and and I barely remember the 60s, so you'd think I would know this. Nope!

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:05 am

Spoiler
1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp. Hello Mutha, Hello Fatha

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard. ha! You gotta be kidding - Pachebel (Like Pachebel's Canon) - that's the only one I know

3. This was Barry Manilow’s first number one single. He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit. Mandy

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2. no idea

5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work? nope

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit? nope

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie. Mr Holland's Opus

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 am

Spoiler
ROCK ME, AMADEUS

1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp. Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard. Johann Sebastian Bach?

3. This was Barry Manilow’s first number one single. He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit. Could This be Magic?

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2. All By Myself?

5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work? Fantasie Impromptu

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit? Lover's Concerto

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie. Mr. Holland's Opus? Has it been that long?[/b]
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mikehardware

#12 Post by mikehardware » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:19 am

Spoiler
3. Mandy?
4. All By Myself?

andrewjackson

#13 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:39 am

Spoiler
1. Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh

2. Bach

3. Nope

4. All By Myself

5. Nope

QOD: PASS

5 Point Bonus: Mr. Holland's Opus
No matter where you go, there you are.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#14 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:01 am

fantine33 wrote: And despite my title, there is no Mozart today (sorry, Annie, there are songs swiped from Mozart, but they're not really well known ones).
/:cry:\
Spoiler
1. Hello, Mudda; Hello, Fadda
2. Mr. Johann S. Bach
3. I am not so very familiar with Mr. Barry's songs.
4. Nor Mr. Eric's songs.
5. Nor those of Mr. Miss Alice.

QoD: I don't know.
Bonus: I guess Mr. Holland's Opus. (I saw this on tv. It was not up to the level of "Rent," which inspired me to start working on my own opera, but it was okay.)
I edited this to put in the spoiler thingie, which I forgot the first time.
Sou iu koto de.

ToLiveIsToFly

#15 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 am

Spoiler
ROCK ME, AMADEUS

HELLO MUDDA, HELLO FADDA

J.S. BACH?

MANDY? I DON'T THINK HE WROTE IT, THOUGH...

ALL BY MYSELF

NAC

A LOVER'S CONCERTO

MR HOLLAND'S OPUS
EDITED TO ADD SPOILER TAG
Last edited by ToLiveIsToFly on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ne1410s

#16 Post by ne1410s » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 am

Spoiler
1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp. HELLO, MUDDAH. HELLO, FADDAH

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard. RACHMANINOFF

3. This was Barry Manilow’s first number one single. He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit. MANDY

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2. ALL BY MYSELF

5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work? OPUS TO A FRIED HARD DRIVE

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit? LOVERS' CONCERTO

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie. MR HOLLAND'S OPUS
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

a1mamacat

#17 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:40 am

fantine33 wrote:Sorry for the delay, I couldn't sign in to post. It kept just bringing me back to the sign in screen. What's up with that?
Spoiler
ROCK ME, AMADEUS

1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp. ---Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah - This is looking more and more tempting Grrrrr.

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard. - I'll go with Bach, as he's very baroqesque

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit? Nope

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie. Mr. Holland's Opus.
[/spoiler]
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

tanstaafl2

#18 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:11 pm

fantine33 wrote: ROCK ME, AMADEUS
Spoiler

"Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" or "Camp Granada"

Bach?

Mandy? Didn't know the connection to Chopin but I think that was his first hit.

Nope. I suppose I should know who this is but don't have a clue.

Nope

Nope

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie
Perhaps I am neither as I still have no clue.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

jsuchard

#19 Post by jsuchard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:38 pm

Spoiler
1. "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh [Here I am at, Camp Grenada]"

2. JS Bach ?

Argh! I can hear it in my head, but there's no way I'm coming up with the title (or even any lyrics)! No guess.
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

nitrah55

#20 Post by nitrah55 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Spoiler
1. HELLO, MUDDAH, HELLO FADDAH

2. VIVALDI?

3. -I can hear the opening line and the last 4 chords, but the middle escapes me.-

4. ALL BY MYSELF

5. ETUDE IN F

QOD: MELODY OF LOVE

5 Point Bonus: STAKEOUT
I am about 25% sure of this.

mrkelley23

#21 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:21 pm

jsuchard wrote:
Spoiler
1. "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh [Here I am at, Camp Grenada]"

2. JS Bach ?

Argh! I can hear it in my head, but there's no way I'm coming up with the title (or even any lyrics)! No guess.
6 more to go!

:)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Catfish

#22 Post by Catfish » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Spoiler

Helo Mudda, Hello Fadda, Here I Am at Camp Granda

Bach??

Weekend in New England?
Not changing answer although I know this song is not on first album. I just like it.

Lonely Boy??

??

Lover's Concerto

Mr Holland's Opus?
Edited in light of Fantine's boo-boo.
Last edited by Catfish on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catfish

KillerTomato

#23 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Spoiler

1. Hello Muddah, Hellow Faddah
2. Ah, Bach....
3. Well, I didn't know the Chopin connection, but Manilow's first #1 was "Mandy".
4. "All By Myself"?
5. Not a clue...I'm not the biggest Chopin fan. He did the Minute Waltz, though, so I'll guess that.

QOD: "The Lover's Concerto"!!!!! WOOHOO!!

Bonus: Yeah, I saw it once. Once. "Mr. Holland's Opus".
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

fantine33

#24 Post by fantine33 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:41 pm

PLEASE READ AFTER YOU'VE ANSWERED THE QOD
Spoiler
Aaaargh! You know, at the time I thought 'wow, the first time I remember hearing Barry Manilow was with Mandy' but didn't think to investigate.

Come to find out, the song I'm referencing was BEFORE Mandy, but didn't become a hit until it was re-released after the Mandy success.

If you've already answered, you can give it another shot. Or, if you've already answered and referenced "Mandy" you'll get credit.
Day 5 and only the 2nd snafu. That's a pretty good average in baseball. Ha!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#25 Post by kayrharris » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Spoiler

1. Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder sp??
2. Bach
3. Mandy
4. All by Myself
5. Nope

QOD A Lover's Concerto

Bonus - Mr Holland's Opus

Music q's....I might have a fighting chance.