QOD Thursday 12-06 "ROCK ME, AMADEUS"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#26 Post by kayrharris » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:51 pm

So I'm slow and my post showed up after your spoilage, but I was answering during your spoilage ...so I'm just leaving stuff like I had it in the first place, cause I'm confused, as usual. :D

TheCalvinator24

Re: QOD Thursday 12-06 "ROCK ME, AMADEUS"

#27 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Spoiler
1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp.
Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah
2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard.
Pachelbel's Canon (Hey, Rob Paravonian claims Pachelbel's Canon is everywhere)
3. This was Barry Manilow’s a song from Barry Manilow's first album, which became a hit when it was re-released after he hit big with "Mandy". He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit.
Weekend in New England
4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2.
All By Myself
5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work?
Chopsticks
QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit?
Never even heard of The Toys, so I'll Pass
5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie.
Mr. Holland's Opus
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

themanintheseersuckersuit

#28 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:07 pm

Spoiler
1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp.

Hello Mother, Hello Father

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard.
Nope

3. This was Barry Manilow’s a song from Barry Manilow's first album, which became a hit when it was re-released after he hit big with "Mandy". He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit.

Nope

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2.

Blame Canada

5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work?

Nope

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit?
Nope

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie.

Nope

But I am looking forward to seeing the answers.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

andrewjackson

#29 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:49 pm

The change in the Barry Manilow clue makes no difference to me. Still "Nope".
No matter where you go, there you are.

NellyLunatic1980

#30 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:02 pm

I'm also still not answering the question on Miss Manilow.

JBillyGirl

#31 Post by JBillyGirl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:14 pm

Spoiler
When I saw the header, I thought I was going to rock this QOD. Then I read the actual questions. Oh well.

1. Allan Sherman took Ponchielli‘s Dance of the Hours and turned it into this letter from camp. -- "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda"

2. Procol Harum’s Whiter Shade of Pale lifts from a couple of works by this famous Baroque composer, most notably his Orchestral Suite No. 3, which makes your spirit soar more than just about anything I’ve ever heard. -- Hmmm... Bach or Handel? Given what I remember about the music and its style, I'll cross fingers and go with... J.S. Bach

3. This was Barry Manilow’s a song from Barry Manilow's first album, which became a hit when it was re-released after he hit big with "Mandy". He freely admits that he cadged the music from Chopin’s Prelude in C Minor and actually gave Chopin a co-writing credit. -- Dammit, I should know this, but I don't

4. Eric Carmen also gave a writing credit where due, as this song’s music is pretty much straight from the second movement of Rachmaninov’s Concerto No. 2. -- "Full Moon and Empty Arms" (I prefer the Gary Larson title, "Full Moon and Empty Head")

5. As a kid, I was first introduced to Chopin by hearing Judy Garland sing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” in the movie Ziegfeld Girl. Believe it or not, Alice Cooper did a great version of it on his album Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. The music is the cantabile section from what famous Chopin work? -- Etude in E Major? Gack. I don't really know, but I do know SOMETHING came out of that piece, which I've played before myself. Never heard the song. Will probably kick self upon learning the answer.

QOD: A 60’s group called The Toys had a big hit with a song that changed the time signature of J.S. Bach’s Minuet in G and added lyrics. What was the name of that hit? -- I can hear it in my head right now, but not well enough to come up the the lyrics or the title. So I'll pass. Dammit.

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie. -- Mr. Holland's Opus?

tanstaafl2

#32 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 pm

Spoiler
Well hell, if it ain't Mandy then I dunno. Maybe "I Write the Songs"?
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

trevor_macfee

#33 Post by trevor_macfee » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:15 pm

Spoiler
1. Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder, Here I am at . . . Camp Grenada

2. Vivaldi?

3. I Write the Songs (along with Mandy, that depletes my knoweledge store of Barry Manilow songs)

4. Nope

5. Nocturne

QOD:No clue

5 Point Bonus: Mr. Holland's Opus???

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#34 Post by cindy.wellman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:14 am

fantine33 wrote:snip, snip!!!
One big 0 That is all.

As much as I love listening to music, playing music, singing music and appreciating music, for some reason the trivia aspect of it doesn't stick with me.

You a smartie, Fantineroo!!

DadofTwins

#35 Post by DadofTwins » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:47 am

Hope I get this one in on time.
Spoiler
1. Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda

2. Bach

3. Nope.

4. Again, nope.

5. Still nothing.

QOD: Nothing here either.

5 Point Bonus: Mr. Holland's Opus. Good movie.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

peacock2121

#36 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:49 am

fantine33 wrote:PLEASE READ AFTER YOU'VE ANSWERED THE QOD
Spoiler
Aaaargh! You know, at the time I thought 'wow, the first time I remember hearing Barry Manilow was with Mandy' but didn't think to investigate.

Come to find out, the song I'm referencing was BEFORE Mandy, but didn't become a hit until it was re-released after the Mandy success.

If you've already answered, you can give it another shot. Or, if you've already answered and referenced "Mandy" you'll get credit.
Day 5 and only the 2nd snafu. That's a pretty good average in baseball. Ha!
Spoiler
I mentioned Mandy, so I'll just leave mine as it is, given if I answer another Manilow song I know, it could be the wrong one .

KillerTomato

#37 Post by KillerTomato » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:59 pm

fantine33 wrote:PLEASE READ AFTER YOU'VE ANSWERED THE QOD
Spoiler
Aaaargh! You know, at the time I thought 'wow, the first time I remember hearing Barry Manilow was with Mandy' but didn't think to investigate.

Come to find out, the song I'm referencing was BEFORE Mandy, but didn't become a hit until it was re-released after the Mandy success.

If you've already answered, you can give it another shot. Or, if you've already answered and referenced "Mandy" you'll get credit.
Day 5 and only the 2nd snafu. That's a pretty good average in baseball. Ha!

I'm glad, since I looked it up afterwards, so I'd have to disqualify myself if I had to answer now. I refrained from pointing out the mistake, though, since I'm working on my "quit being a smartass ha-ha-gotcha" kinda guy.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

fantine33

#38 Post by fantine33 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:41 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:
fantine33 wrote:snip, snip!!!
One big 0 That is all.

As much as I love listening to music, playing music, singing music and appreciating music, for some reason the trivia aspect of it doesn't stick with me.

You a smartie, Fantineroo!!
Thank you for answering, even though you didn't know any today. I like to know that people at least are interested in reading the questions.

And I'm not such a smartie. I'll admit that I knew all of these without looking them up (although obviously not the 'facts' I used to write the questions), but that's just because I like classical music and pop music and I noticed a lot of these when I had to learn the piece when I played piano (like when I had to play Dance of the Hours for a lesson and thought 'wow, that sounds a lot like Camp Grenada'. Ha!). I did try to find some other ones so I could put in a Mozart one for Annie, but apparently that requires more search knowledge than I was willing to give.

I don't know a damned thing about Dido, so you're still ahead of me in that department.
KillerTomato wrote:I'm glad, since I looked it up afterwards, so I'd have to disqualify myself if I had to answer now. I refrained from pointing out the mistake, though, since I'm working on my "quit being a smartass ha-ha-gotcha" kinda guy.
You did point it out, but not in an annoying way (when the kids get lippy, I pull out one of my dad's favourite sayings: "everybody likes a little ass, but nobody likes a little smartass"), so yay for you! I'm glad you did because yours, combined with comments from a couple others, validated my thoughts about Mandy and actually sent me to investigate why the dates didn't match up. And it was all good, because the re-release info is a fun fact, I love it when I learn something!

I don't know why I find "Miss Manilow" so funny, but I cracked up both times Nelly said it.

fantine33

#39 Post by fantine33 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:43 pm

Oh, and Dad of Twins, yes you are in time! Each QOD is open until midnight mountain the next day. Except for the weekend ones, which are both open through Monday.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#40 Post by minimetoo26 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:18 am

fantine33 wrote: Thank you for answering, even though you didn't know any today. I like to know that people at least are interested in reading the questions.
*Raising hand* I read the questions! I just am terrible at games and only stink up one at a time, and I play LS. Plus, too many of these QODs have turned into nitpicking pissing matches over the years, I just avoid them by habit.

So I was looking for Bill Joel and This Night/Pathetique, and it's not here. I guess there's enough borrowing from the classics you didn't need that one! All my mom ever listened to was classical music, but she like Billy Joel, and surprisingly The Doors! And Boz Scagg's Lido Shuffle.

No wonder my music collection looks like a schizo amassed it. I have Clint Black next to Kiri Te Kanawa....

fantine33

#41 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:43 am

minimetoo26 wrote: *Raising hand* I read the questions! I just am terrible at games and only stink up one at a time, and I play LS. Plus, too many of these QODs have turned into nitpicking pissing matches over the years, I just avoid them by habit.
Thanks! I guess I should have phrased that differently, I didn't mean that I was disappointed that everybody who reads the questions doesn't answer. I know a lot of people that don't play like to read the questions (like you, I stopped playing the QOD long before I stopped posting altogether, mostly for that same reason).

What I meant was that since I really do want people to enjoy playing, I'm trying to gauge good categories by how many people play. I know there will be a lot of one and doners due to a particular category (like the Jewish one) and that sometimes people can't play on a certain day for one reason or another, but if a lot of 'regulars' don't play one, then I'll figure that's not really a good area, or my questions sucked. Maybe I shouldn't care so much that people like playing?

That whole paragraph wasn't necessarily to mini, she just made me notice that I didn't express that thought as well as I could have. However...
So I was looking for Bill Joel and This Night/Pathetique, and it's not here. I guess there's enough borrowing from the classics you didn't need that one! All my mom ever listened to was classical music, but she like Billy Joel, and surprisingly The Doors! And Boz Scagg's Lido Shuffle.
Really? Beethoven's Pathetique or Tchaikovsky? This is funny, I was planning on putting in a personal comment with the answers about Beethoven's Pathetique (possibly my most favourite piece in the world). I like Billy Joel, but never enough to have any of his albums and I'm not familiar with that song. I'll have to find an mp3 or a sample of it somewhere now and give it a listen.

So I learned two things from today's QOD. That's a success! (See, Wellman? I'm not nearly as smart as you'd like to think. Ha!)

My grandma was born in 1903 and loved Alice Cooper and Aerosmith.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#42 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:45 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
fantine33 wrote: Thank you for answering, even though you didn't know any today. I like to know that people at least are interested in reading the questions.
*Raising hand* I read the questions! I just am terrible at games and only stink up one at a time, and I play LS. Plus, too many of these QODs have turned into nitpicking pissing matches over the years, I just avoid them by habit.
I could have written that paragraph, except for the part about LS. I always read the questions, but I haven't given any answers so far because Annie gets to them first, and she babbles out loud while she's thinking. Sometimes she knows stuff I can't remember, but sometimes I know stuff she doesn't. For example, for Saturday's questions, I could identify Vincent Furnier. (Neener, neener, Miss Smarty Furpants!)

fantine33

#43 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 am

ROCK ME, AMADEUS - ANSWERED

CAMP GRANADA
or HELLO MUDDAH, HELLO FADDUH

(I'm never sure which of those is the parenthetical title)

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH

This music was also used in Seven when Morgan Freeman was in the library doing research.

COULD IT BE MAGIC

Since the original clue gave an incorrect tidbit, everybody who answered Mandy before I fixed it gets credit, whether they did because they knew it was his first #1 or just because that's the default answer for "Barry Manilow song". That's why blind guessing on everything except the QOD is good!

Special props to mrkelley for being the only one to get Could It Be Magic.

ALL BY MYSELF

I have the sheet music for this and it's words by Eric Carmen and music by S.V. Rachmaninov. I love this song, even though I wish Celine Dion would have left it alone.

FANTASIE IMPROMPTU

In the songbook of Alice Cooper Goes to Hell, this is credited to the songwriting pair as well as Chopin. (Do songbooks still get released along with albums/cds or is sheet music kind of over with now?)

If you've never heard this (the Chopin), give it a listen. It's gorgeous! My two ambitions when I wanted to learn the piano were to be able to play Heliotrope Bouquet and Fantasie Impromptu.

And double props to mrkelley!

LOVER'S CONCERTO

5 Point Bonus: If you knew the QOD right off the bat, you’re either old enough to remember the 60’s or you saw this 1995 Richard Dreyfuss movie.[/quote]

MR HOLLAND'S OPUS

I haven't seen this movie in a long time and I now have a hankering to watch it again. I know it's sappy and all, but I always tear up in at least a couple of places.

My favourite scene is when Dreyfuss tells the future governor with the clarinet to just close her eyes and 'play the sunset'. Or was it sunrise? I forget. I always cry during that part, because it hits home. Whenever I was frustrated with a piece, I'd wait until late at night, turn out all the lights and play in the dark. Without being able to worry about the printed music, the piano keys or what your fingers are doing, you can just let the music out of you. That is the only way I learned to make the notes bleed in Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata.

If you're still reading (wondering when she's going to get to the damned points, ha!), then that's my advice for the day. Whenever you're stuck on something (whatever it is), just close your eyes and let it out.

Can anybody tell that this is one of my favourite categories so far? It must have been mrkelley's as well, he got the only perfect score today! So I guess this is Mr. Kelley's Opus. Ha!

Quiz QOD Bonus Total

50 50 5 105 mrkelley
40 40 5 85 earendel
40 40 5 85 kayrharris
40 40 5 85 KillerTomato
40 40 5 85 ToLiveIsToFly
30 30 5 65 ne1410s
30 30 0 60 starfish
20 20 5 45 kittyfish
20 20 5 45 littlebeast
20 20 0 40 wintergreen
30 0 5 35 andrewjackson
30 0 0 30 mikehardware
30 0 0 30 tanstaafl
20 0 5 25 AnnieCamaro
20 0 5 25 Calvinator
20 0 5 25 DadofTwins
20 0 5 25 jbillygirl
20 0 5 25 nelly
20 0 5 25 peacock
20 0 5 25 saucy
20 0 0 20 jsuchard
20 0 0 20 tlynn
10 0 5 15 Marley
10 0 5 15 trevor macfee
10 0 0 10 seersucker
20 -20 0 0 nitrah
0 0 0 0 lwellman

fantine33

#44 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:08 am

silvercamaro wrote:I could have written that paragraph, except for the part about LS. I always read the questions, but I haven't given any answers so far because Annie gets to them first, and she babbles out loud while she's thinking. Sometimes she knows stuff I can't remember, but sometimes I know stuff she doesn't. For example, for Saturday's questions, I could identify Vincent Furnier. (Neener, neener, Miss Smarty Furpants!)
QOD players, please don't read the spoiler until you've answered Saturday's QOD.
Spoiler
Tell Annie that, had she done her homework and looked up the questions she couldn't answer from this QOD, then she would have known who he was as well.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#45 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:21 am

She knows that now. She's moping.

fantine33

#46 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:17 pm

Btw, Sliver, don't come down too hard on Annie for snagging the computer so she can answer the QOD before you have a chance. I kind of told her that would be a good idea.

Ha!