George Bush just gave me a Christmas present

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#26 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:10 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote: I need a life. With better work conditions. That involve sleep....
I would have thought that hour after midnight was a perfect opportunity to get some of that sleep and let the dryer do its own work...
But then the clothes would have sat for 6 hours wrinkling and then I might have to actually *GASP!* iron. Which I might do if it were Picture Day at school. Or a First Communion or some such event. And I wouldn't be happy about it in the least. So since I got a late start I sucked it up and tossed the convict.

VAdame

#27 Post by VAdame » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:48 am

As of noon today, there was no announcement of a holiday on the 24th. Since we're a medical center -- and therefore "essential" -- our director can decide that we will work a normal Monday schedule. Not that the patients will show up!

Guess we'll have to wait until she makes up her mind.

peacock2121

#28 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:The Postal Service will not get the 24th off.
Told ya.

2007 is not different than 2001.
What are you....... twelve?

Buffacuse

#29 Post by Buffacuse » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:01 pm

After all the leave I burned with the various family illnesses and blessed events this year (three trips to the ER and two surgeries for me--two hospital stays for Buffettina) I have no leave left. The four days off in a row are a godsend for me and means I will at least get a chance to spend a few days at home over the holiday.

Having said that, I am very sensitive to the notion that as a federal employee, you all are, in effect, paying for this for me. I really mean this--thank you. I will try to repay the favor by doing my job well.

silverscreenselect

Re: George Bush just gave me a Christmas present

#30 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:56 am

Appa23 wrote: Section 2 of the Executive order speaks of certain employees who still must work b/c of national security and other public need.
Our national security will be better off anytime the pres takes a day off.

If Cheney takes the day off as well, it will really be better off.

ghostjmf

#31 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:03 pm

The New Head of RichU did it 1st! We normally get a 1/2 day Christmas eve.
But this year, by their largesse, we are getting it off. Like, a lotta people were otherwise planning to come in?

We used to have to come back & work between Christmas & New Year's Day.

Then, after a year about 7 years ago in which both holidays occurred on weekends & everybody took the intervening week off anyway, the union pushed for us to get what every other University in town already got (that "week between", whatever days the holidays actually fall on, off) & because we got it, our (non-union) bosses got it too; they tend to get everything we bargain for, so that they won't get mad & form their own union (that's the theory).