My dad

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

My dad

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:08 pm

is having his heart thingies looked at tomorrow. If he needs a stent, they will do that right then and there. If he needs by-pass, they will also do that right then and there. My mom is suffering from some sort of dementia - she is in the end stages of getting tests to see if it is early Alzheimers or just plain old dementia. She forgets stuff and makes stuff up.

Michelle and I are not sure she will be able to be an advocate for my dad if he gets by-pass, so I may be heading for Florida on Sunday. Michelle will drive down on Friday night if needed and she has to be to work on Monday morning.

I ask that you keep my dad in your thoughts.

Bob Juch

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Good luck with all that. :(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:23 pm

I will be thinking of you and your mom and dad.

You can deal with the making stuff up. Even people without neuron problems do that. Laugh at it as often as you can. Tgirl is your model.

Be strong for your dad when he needs you to be, and then cry later if you need to.

Everything will turn out the way it's supposed to.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:29 pm

I ask that you keep my dad in your thoughts

I mosdt certainly will, and you, your mom and Michelle, as well.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#5 Post by kayrharris » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:55 pm

You got it from here. I hope everything goes well and wish all of you safe travels if travel becomes an issue. Let us know how things are going.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Good luck to your family, Pea. It's all scary, but it will all work out.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:39 pm

Good luck to your dad and your family. I hope and know that everything is going to be fine.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:52 pm

Good luck, Pea!

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:59 pm

You've got prayers from here.

earendel

Re: My dad

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 pm

peacock2121 wrote:is having his heart thingies looked at tomorrow. If he needs a stent, they will do that right then and there. If he needs by-pass, they will also do that right then and there. My mom is suffering from some sort of dementia - she is in the end stages of getting tests to see if it is early Alzheimers or just plain old dementia. She forgets stuff and makes stuff up.

Michelle and I are not sure she will be able to be an advocate for my dad if he gets by-pass, so I may be heading for Florida on Sunday. Michelle will drive down on Friday night if needed and she has to be to work on Monday morning.

I'll be sure to do so.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gotribego26

Re: My dad

#11 Post by gotribego26 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:02 pm

peacock2121 wrote:is having his heart thingies looked at tomorrow. If he needs a stent, they will do that right then and there. If he needs by-pass, they will also do that right then and there. My mom is suffering from some sort of dementia - she is in the end stages of getting tests to see if it is early Alzheimers or just plain old dementia. She forgets stuff and makes stuff up.

Consider it done.

My Dad got a stent last spring - he feels better than he has in 10 years now.

Snaxx

#12 Post by Snaxx » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Prayers and vibes headed your way.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:53 am

Good luck with everything, Pea. Sending good vibes for the best possible outcome . . .

And if you go to Florida, wishing you a safe trip. . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

nitrah55

#14 Post by nitrah55 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:14 am

Oh, Pea, I'm with you on this.

Prayers and the works to you and all.

a1mamacat

#15 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:31 am

HOpe you all stay well and safe.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

mrkelley23

#16 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:06 am

Pea, good luck.

I guess in some ways we are fortunate in our dealings with dementia. My grandmother has never gotten nasty or violent. It is sometimes heart-rending to see her swim up behind those eyes, because that's when she makes her pitiful pleas to get her out of there. But soon (and these episodes are getting further and further apart) she's gone again.

I hope the stent improves your dad's health and disposition as much as heart surgery and post-op care did my Dad's. He still (20 years later) goes to physical therapy every day, and has adopted a much healthier lifestyle.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#17 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:21 am

Still have heard nothing. The procedure was scheduled for 8:30.

It got more complicated this morning. My brother spoke with my dad 2 days ago. He got a different story than Michelle and I got.

We don't even know what hospital the procedure is being done in. Gussie was told the one 'out of town', Michelle and I were told the 'one across the street'.

My dad told Gussie that by-pass surgery was never even mentioned. sigh I spoke to him about it as did Michelle.

Gussie's conversation with my dad, with my mom overhearing it, got her so upset she would not talk to Gussie.

Michelle and I need to come up with some structure that doesn't upset my folks and that works for us.

We will do that - after I get this knot out of my stomach.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. It makes a difference to me.

mrkelley23

#18 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:42 am

Pea --

You prolly already know this, but heart disease can cause dementia-style symptoms, as well.

http://www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimers/Publi ... mentia.htm

As tragic as it would be, you may have to consider the possibility that both your parents are exhibiting these symptoms at the same time. If so, they cannot care for each other very well.

I wish only the best for you and yours.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#19 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:46 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Pea --

You prolly already know this, but heart disease can cause dementia-style symptoms, as well.

http://www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimers/Publi ... mentia.htm

As tragic as it would be, you may have to consider the possibility that both your parents are exhibiting these symptoms at the same time. If so, they cannot care for each other very well.

I wish only the best for you and yours.
This is becoming more and more obvious.

Michelle and I will be putting our heads together and figure out what to do next.

Thanks for your concern. My parents will be looked after and cared for. They are very much loved.

ladysoleil

#20 Post by ladysoleil » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:45 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Still have heard nothing. The procedure was scheduled for 8:30.

We will do that - after I get this knot out of my stomach.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. It makes a difference to me.
I hope you get some news soon, and that it's good.

Flybrick

#21 Post by Flybrick » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:24 pm

Prayers made.

Buffacuse

#22 Post by Buffacuse » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:25 pm

Having had the stent thing done, I can tell you it isn't so bad. You're Dad won't suffer just cuz of that.

Let me know if you have any q's--your Dad gets the candle lit for him. Buff