A home for the weary.
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:08 pm 
Keeper of the Transcripts

Megan Schlingman
Ashland, OH
Stay-at-home mom

Megan is a little shell-shocked; seeing what just happened was scary.

$100
A man and a woman who are well suited for each other are said to be "a match made" where?

A: In heaven B: Down under
C: At sea D: On "The Bachelor"

$200
On a city sidewalk, which of the following is commonly connected to a water pipeline?

A: Fire hydrant B: Mailbox
C: Traffic light D: Telephone pole

$300
While philately is the study of all stamps, aerophilately is the study of stamps that have been mailed in what way?

A: By train B: By plane
C: By ship D: By truck

$500
To extend the life of your manicure, Ladies' Home Journal recommends wearing rubber gloves while performing what task?

A: Folding laundry B: Cooking
C: Sweeping floors D: Washing dishes

$1,000
What U.S. state is promoted on T-shirts that read, "Like the play--only no singing"?

A: Wyoming B: Maine
C: Oklahoma D: Alabama

-- Commercial Break --

$2,000
The popular summer drink known as an "Arnold Palmer" is typically made with equal parts iced tea and what?

A: Cola B: Milk
C: Beer D: Lemonade

Megan had to learn how to make this while she was a server at a restaurant in college.

$4,000
If "fourteen stone" is equal to 196 pounds, how much does one stone weigh?

A: 14 pounds B: 16 pounds
C: 18 pounds D: 20 pounds

Megan: This is so scary!

Meredith repeats the question.

Megan: Okay, I really just think it's 14. And I'm really afraid right now. I shouldn't really doubt myself so much, but I feel like 14--

Megan calculates under her breath, then says A: 14 pounds.

$8,000
Septicemia is the clinical name for the medical condition more commonly known as what?

A: Migraine headaches B: Motion sickness
C: Blood poisoning D: Frostbite

Meredith knows that Megan wants to go to nursing school, so she bets Megan knows a lot about this. But Megan asks the audience.

ATA: A: 2% B: 5% C: 93% D: 0%

Megan: Great! Oh, that's so awesome!

$16,000
In the long-running comic strip "Blondie," the Bumsteads' two perpetually teenaged kids are named Alexander and what?

A: Daisy B: Fanny
C: Cookie D: Penny

50/50 leaves B & C.

-- Commercial Break --

Megan's son, Soren, is about to turn one. Megan needs some new furniture; their bed pretends to be a "king" but it's really two, twenty-year-old twin bed mattresses. They also have a couch that was her great-grandmother's and dinosaur curtain from when her husband, Adam, was a little kid.

Adam, is in the audience.

$25,000
An informal press conference between the White House Press Secretary and reporters is known by which of these terms?

A: Pride B: Gaggle
C: School D: Herd

Megan feels it's gaggle, but she wants to make sure.

PAF: Megan calls one of her favorite teachers from school, Paul, a professor of religious studies.

Paul: It's a gaggle.

Megan: It is?

Paul: Yeah, I positive--75% sure.

Megan: I thought it was a gaggle, too.

$50,000
One of the world's youngest volcanoes, Paricutin was "born" in 1943 when it abruptly emerged from a field in what country?

A: Lithuania B: Argentina
C: Papua New Guinea D: Mexico

Megan: You know, I'm gonna just say Papua New Guinea and go for it and try, because I've already got--that's like so much money and I can't go home with less than that and it's amazing. And I feel like, who knows what the next question will be, you know. I think I'm just going to try Papua New Guinea, final answer.

Megan leaves with $25,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$100: A: In heaven
$200: A: Fire hydrant
$300: B: By plane
$500: D: Washing dishes
$1,000: C: Oklahoma
$2,000: D: Lemonade
$4,000: A: 14 pounds
$8,000: C: Blood poisoning
$16,000: C: Cookie
$25,000: B: Gaggle
$50,000: D: Mexico

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 pm 
Dog's Best Friend

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:

$1,000
What U.S. state is promoted on T-shirts that read, "Like the play--only no singing"?

A: Wyoming B: Maine
C: Oklahoma D: Alabama

If you know the right people, you can get the singing, too.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:22 pm 
Miss Congeniality

My sentiments exactly, SC. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:57 am 

$2K: Here goes the ATA...

$25K: ... and there goes $15,000. I was confident that it was a herd.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:34 am 

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$4,000
If "fourteen stone" is equal to 196 pounds, how much does one stone weigh?

A: 14 pounds B: 16 pounds
C: 18 pounds D: 20 pounds

Megan: This is so scary!

Meredith repeats the question.

Megan: Okay, I really just think it's 14. And I'm really afraid right now. I shouldn't really doubt myself so much, but I feel like 14--

Megan calculates under her breath, then says A: 14 pounds.

I don't know why 196 divided by 14 should be so scary...they could have just asked how much is one stone without giving that answer away!

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
One of the world's youngest volcanoes, Paricutin was "born" in 1943 when it abruptly emerged from a field in what country?

Megan: You know, I'm gonna just say Papua New Guinea and go for it and try, because I've already got--that's like so much money and I can't go home with less than that and it's amazing. And I feel like, who knows what the next question will be, you know. I think I'm just going to try Papua New Guinea, final answer.

Megan leaves with $25,000.

<sigh>

Yes, if you use the STQ, you don't know if the next question will be any better for you than this one, but if you're making a complete guess--as it sounded like Megan was doing here--why not try to improve the odds?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:47 am 

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000

One of the few questions for which I actually know where I acquired the information. Children's Digest, in a comic book-like science story, which puts the memory synapse connection at well over forty years old. Once again, WHY have I retained it? Especially when TPTB keep using them when it's not me in the hotseat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:05 am 

Here's a short article about Megan's appearance. She only gets second billing, though, after another Ohio local who won $250K on Beauty and the Geek.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/life/s ... ml?sid=101

And this article also mentions a PAF from this week:

Quote:
Laughlin wasn't the only central Ohioan to be a Millionaire "phone-a-friend" this week. Craig Smith, 55, of Dublin, helped his friend B.J. Hughes of Tampa, Fla., win the $25,000 question on Wednesday's show by advising him that onomasticon was another word for thesaurus. Smith, a tax preparer, said he guessed the answer.

The PAF guessed? :shock:

That wasn't exactly his job...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:24 am 

gsabc wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000

One of the few questions for which I actually know where I acquired the information. Children's Digest, in a comic book-like science story, which puts the memory synapse connection at well over forty years old.

This is scary because I remembered the same article when I read the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:27 pm 

25K: No flinking idea. Does it differ if the administration likes the press? Haven't had that for a while. Even if they do like, it is probably not "pride". Otherwise? On the theory that "everyone knows this but me", ATA. If that doesn't work, PAF

50K: Not Lithuania, & I'm reaonably sure stuff with the same endings are Mexican. Don't even think there are volcanos in Argentina (could be, though), but just for insurance waste 50/50 here. I didn't waste it in my armchair, but I probably would in real life.