QOD Friday 12-07 "A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

QOD Friday 12-07 "A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY"

#1 Post by fantine33 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am

12/7 A Day That Will Live in Infamy

These people were all born on December 7 (although not THE December 7th). I've added their year of birth to help out, so you can hazard a guess just from the age if the answer isn't coming to you.

1. 1942 - A singer-songwriter best known for the song “Cats in the Cradle“

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece.

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame.

4. 1910 - This King of the Swingers was the voice of King Louie in The Jungle Book and a major plot point in the movie Big Night. And Olive Garden apparently has an obsession with him, they always play his songs on commercials and every time I’ve gone in there he’s playing on the PA system.

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.)

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships.

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today?

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name?

MarleysGh0st

Re: QOD Friday 12-07 "A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY&qu

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:56 am

Spoiler
Cat Stevens?

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame.
Willa Cather

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships.
California and Oregon?

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today?
Taiwan

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name?

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:58 am

Spoiler
Harry Chapin

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece.
Larry Bird

Laura Ingalls Wilder

4. 1910 - This King of the Swingers was the voice of King Louie in The Jungle Book and a major plot point in the movie Big Night. And Olive Garden apparently has an obsession with him, they always play his songs on commercials and every time I’ve gone in there he’s playing on the PA system.
Phil Harris

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.)
sounds like something Terrell Owens would say

pass

Taiwan

the (Cadillac) Eldorado

wintergreen48

#4 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:04 am

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin

3. Willa Cather or Eudora Welty, one of those people I don't read... I'll go with Willa.

4. Louis Prima?

5. NAC

QOD: Don't know.

5 Point Bonus - Taiwan

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name? Kind of tough, since I have no idea who #5 is... so I'll WAG with, um, Camry. Yes, Camry, great car, that's what I bought with my WWTBAM winnings. Used. From CarMax. And I still have it.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:10 am

Spoiler
1. 1942 - A singer-songwriter best known for the song “Cats in the Cradle“ Who is Harry Chapin?

Who is Bird?

Who is Wilder?

Who is Louis Armstrong?

Nope

Nope

Taiwan

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:22 am

Spoiler

Harry Chapin

Nope

Nope

nope

nope

QoD nope

Bonus - Taiwan?

Bonus Bonus - Ford
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:39 am

Spoiler
These people were all born on December 7 (although not THE December 7th). I've added their year of birth to help out, so you can hazard a guess just from the age if the answer isn't coming to you.

1. 1942 - A singer-songwriter best known for the song “Cats in the Cradle“ - Harry Chapin

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece. - Larry Bird

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame. - Willa Cather (There are only 2 people I think of when someone mentions Nebraska. Willa Cather and you-know-who....)

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.) - Terrell Owens

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships. - Nebraska & New Mexico

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today? - Taiwan

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name? - Lincoln

ToLiveIsToFly

#8 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:40 am

Spoiler

HARRY CHAPIN

LARRY BIRD

WILLA CATHER

LOUIS PRIMA

TERRELL OWENS?

NEVADA, CALIFORNIA

TAIWAN

FIAT?

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:20 am

fantine33 wrote:12/7 A Day That Will Live in Infamy

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin, RIP

2. Too young for Bill Russell. Must be my homeboy, Larry Bird.

3. Laura Ingalls Wilder?

4. Louis Armstrong?

5. Too many egos to choose from. How about Terrell Owens?

QoD: Wouldn't have known this before the trip to Hawaii last year. USS California and USS West Virginia

Bonus: Taiwan

Bonus Bonus: Don't know if it's Owens, don't know Owens' middle name. How about Le Baron?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:08 am

Spoiler

1. Harry Chapin

2. I assume that you mean Larry Bird, known as the "Basketball Jesus."

3. Only two famous Nebraska female writers, Mari Sandoz and Willa Cather. Since you may not have known of Sandoz, I will say Cather.

4. Louis Prima

5. Terell Owens

QOD: USS California and USS West Virginia

Double-Secret Bonus: yeah, right

peacock2121

Re: QOD Friday 12-07 "A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY&am

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:09 am

Spoiler
1. 1942 - A singer-songwriter best known for the song “Cats in the Cradle“ - harry Chapin

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece. Larry Bird?

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame. Harper Lee?

4. 1910 - This King of the Swingers was the voice of King Louie in The Jungle Book and a major plot point in the movie Big Night. And Olive Garden apparently has an obsession with him, they always play his songs on commercials and every time I’ve gone in there he’s playing on the PA system. no guess

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.) T.O. is my only guess - Tyrell Owens?

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships. Nevada and Maryland

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today? Taiwan

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name? Edsel

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#12 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:20 am

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin
2. Larry Bird
3. Laura Wilder
4. Louis Armstrong
5. Deion Sanders

QOD:

bonus: Taiwan
Bonus Bonus: Dodge Neon
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Catfish

#13 Post by Catfish » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am

Spoiler

Harry Chapin

Larry Bird?

Willa Cather

Louis Armstrong?

??

Indiana?
Missouri?

Taiwan

??
Catfish

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:41 am

Spoiler
Harry Chapin
2. the only Celtic I know is Larry Bird
3. nope
4. Louis Prima
5. Terrell E. Owens

QoD
nope I just read two articles/survivor interviews, ya think I can remember? hah!

5 point Bonus

Taiwan

5 Point Bonus (again)

Cadillac Eldorado

sorry - forgot to spoiler-again.
t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

trevor_macfee

#15 Post by trevor_macfee » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:44 am

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin

2. Larry Bird

3. Louisa May Alcott

4. Louie Armstrong

5. Deion Sanders??

QOD: Nope

5 Point Bonus - Okinawa?

5 Point Bonus Bonus - Nope

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:46 am

p.s.

Isn't it "A DATE that will live in infamy"?

keeping it real for the trivia buffs.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jsuchard

#17 Post by jsuchard » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 am

Spoiler
1. Cat Stevens (aka Yusuf Islam)

3. Eudora Welty?

4. Louis Prima

QOD: No guess

5 Point Bonus - Taiwan
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

fantine33

#18 Post by fantine33 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 am

tlynn78 wrote:p.s.

Isn't it "A DATE that will live in infamy"?

keeping it real for the trivia buffs.

t.
None of my titles are meant to be direct quotes, even though they sometimes are. I wrote that title as a play on 'a date which will live in infamy'. Only the QOD is concerning that date, the quiz is people who were born on the day December 7.

To be honest with you, I didn't write the whole thing about Pearl Harbor Day because I really don't know that much about it (I didn't even see the movie. Ha!)

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:18 pm

To be honest with you, I didn't write the whole thing about Pearl Harbor Day because I really don't know that much about it (I didn't even see the movie. Ha!)

lol

t.

ne1410s

#20 Post by ne1410s » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:38 pm

Spoiler
1. 1942 - A singer-songwriter best known for the song “Cats in the Cradle“ --HARRY CHAPIN

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece. --LARRY BIRD

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame. --WILLA CATHER

4. 1910 - This King of the Swingers was the voice of King Louie in The Jungle Book and a major plot point in the movie Big Night. And Olive Garden apparently has an obsession with him, they always play his songs on commercials and every time I’ve gone in there he’s playing on the PA system. --PHIL HARRIS

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.)-- TERRELL OWENS

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships. --WEST VIRGINIA, CALIFORNIA

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today? --TAIWAN

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name? NADA...
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

nitrah55

#21 Post by nitrah55 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Spoiler
1. 1942 - HARRY CHAPIN

2. 1956 - LARRY BIRD

3. 1873 - WILLA CATHER

4. 1910 - LOUIS PRIMA

5. 1973 - DEION SANDERS

QOD: MISSOURI and ALABAMA

5 Point Bonus - TAIPEI

5 Point Bonus Bonus - NEON
I am about 25% sure of this.

tanstaafl2

#22 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:32 pm

Spoiler

Harry Chapin

Larry Bird?

Willa Cather?

Louis Armstrong? Don't think that is right though.

Terrell Owens?

USS California and USS West Virginia, both sunk but raised to fight again.

Taiwan

Dunno. Cadillac?
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

traininvain

#23 Post by traininvain » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:23 pm

I actually have time to answer the QoD!

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin Lived in my hometown, his family still does.

2. Larry Bird (WAG)

3. No Clue

4. Louie Prima One of my dad's favorites

5. No Clue

5 Taiwan

5 Edsel
Enjoy every sandwich

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#24 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:44 pm

Darn you, Miss Fan. I have read about the importance of Dec. 7 in my American history classes at Home School High School. In addition, the History Channel had a lovely program this morning about Pearl Harbor Day, and I watched it. (It was a very good program, but I was somewhat disappointed because they never did show a photograph nor tell me anything about Miss Pearl Harbor. I want to know more about her.) Anyway, I thought I was ready....but you tricked me again! I shall do my best.
Spoiler
1. Mr. Harry Chapin. (I like most of the cats I've met, so it's nice that the baby kittens have a song of their own.)

2. I've seen basketball only in a movie, and the player I know wasn't on the Boston Celtics team in the film, but since he is the only player I know, and maybe he joined the Celtics after his show business career, I will guess Air Bud.

3. Miss Willa Cather.

4. I don't know. I didn't pay as much attention to the apes as to the four-footers.

5. Air Bud, Golden Receiver. (But I think the actor really was Air Bud, Jr.)

QoD: I studied this. The USS Nevada and the USS Maryland.

BonusBonus: Camaro (Air B. might be a distant relative.)
Sou iu koto de.

KillerTomato

#25 Post by KillerTomato » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Spoiler

Not in my apartment. He's best known here for "Corey's Coming" and "Sniper" and "Mail Order Annie" and "The Rock" and especially for "A Better Place to Be". The late, great Harry Chapin.

I only know one Celtic (I'm not a basketball fan), and that's Larry Bird.

Willa Cather?

Louis Prima! (I got the DVD of "The Jungle Book" solely for "I Wanna Be Like You".)

Rod "He Hate Me" Smart? No idea.

I'd prefer not to.

Taiwan

Howzabout Edsel?

Note: I edited this only to add the spoiler. I apologize for my mistake.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll