QOD Friday 12-07 "A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

#26 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:55 pm

Spoiler
There were eight battleships at Pearl Harbor:

California
Maryland
Oklahoma
Tennessee
West Virginia
Arizona
Nevada
Pennsylvania
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

Re: QOD Friday 12-07 "A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY&qu

#27 Post by earendel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:03 pm

fantine33 wrote:12/7 A Day That Will Live in Infamy

These people were all born on December 7 (although not THE December 7th). I've added their year of birth to help out, so you can hazard a guess just from the age if the answer isn't coming to you.

1. 1942 - A singer-songwriter best known for the song “Cats in the Cradle“

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece.

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame.

4. 1910 - This King of the Swingers was the voice of King Louie in The Jungle Book and a major plot point in the movie Big Night. And Olive Garden apparently has an obsession with him, they always play his songs on commercials and every time I’ve gone in there he’s playing on the PA system.

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.)

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships.

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today?

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name?
Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin
2. Larry Bird
3. Willa Cather
4. Louis Prima
5. Terrell Owens

QoD: Maryland and West Virginia

5 point bonus #1: Taiwan

5 point bonus #2: El Dorado
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#28 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:18 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Spoiler
There were eight battleships at Pearl Harbor:

California
Maryland
Oklahoma
Tennessee
West Virginia
Arizona
Nevada
Pennsylvania
I know Fanny's perfectly capable of smacking you down, Bob, but d'you ever wonder why you sometimes don't get the props you think you should on this board? Could it be because of this kind of post?

Of course you know that 7 battleships were present on Battleship Row on Dec. 7, 1941. The Pennsylvania was in dry dock, in a different part of the harbor, and was not really attacked directly by the Japanese. The question was clear as crystal to me. Was it not clear to you, or did you once again feel the compulsive need to show everyone how smart you are (after looking it up, natch) that seems to define your relationship here?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Catfish

#29 Post by Catfish » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Kisses to MrKelley.
Catfish

fantine33

#30 Post by fantine33 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:53 pm

Ha! I was getting ready to reply, but read the rest of the messages first. I'm glad I did because your reply was absolutely elegant, mrkelley. Plus, you're awfully cute when you're indignant. I love it!

And you're right, I wasn't counting Pennsylvania because it was in the Navy Yard. I guess I could have been way explicit (whoo!) and said, "7 battleships that were at Pearl Harbor, that were in the Harbor, that were on Battleship Row, blah, blah. But does it really matter?

Maybe if I had asked for ALL the battleships' names, but I wouldn't do that. I'm sure that there are WWII buffs (maybe not on this board, but somewhere) that know all the names and which were in what quay and all that. I know all the (canonical) victims of Jack the Ripper, in order, but that's because I'm into that sort of thing. I don't expect the average Joe to know it, so I wouldn't ask that question (you're welcome, ha!) Besides, if someone really knew that much about the battleships, they'd know which one I left out and why. So, it still wouldn't matter.

A minor quibble: Peacock would like it if I could manage to annoy Marley, Holtdad and BobJuch. I've managed to get to Marley (without even trying, yay me!) and I might have gotten to Holtdad with the Reality scoring. So I still need one for the trifecta. Do you think she would count it even if you did it for me? Ha!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Re: QOD Friday 12-07 "A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY&am

#31 Post by kayrharris » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin

2 Larry Bird

3. Nope

4. Must pay closer attention to Olive Garden commercials

5. Nope

QOD nope

5 pt Bonus Taiwan?

5 pt bonus bonus nope

computer screwed up and posted this twice so I deleted the 2nd post.
Just being honest here.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#32 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:12 pm

May I add something to this thread that doesn't have anything to do with the questions?

Based on what I've learned about that day in Hawaii, I know that if I'd been there, I would have been more scared than Rusty in a thunderstorm with a tornado warning. Those sailors must have been veryveryvery brave to keep trying to do their jobs, and some of them died trying. I would just like to thank every one of them, and to the ones who are still alive, I send a million wet kisses and warm snuggles.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

andrewjackson

#33 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin

2. Larry Bird

3. Willa Cather

4. Louis Prima

5. Deon Sanders

QOD: California and West Virginia

5 Point Bonus - Taiwan

5 Point Bonus Bonus - Belvedere
No matter where you go, there you are.

DevilKitty100

#34 Post by DevilKitty100 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:31 pm

These people were all born on December 7 (although not THE December 7th). I've added their year of birth to help out, so you can hazard a guess just from the age if the answer isn't coming to you.

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece.

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame.

4. 1910 - This King of the Swingers was the voice of King Louie in The Jungle Book and a major plot point in the movie Big Night. And Olive Garden apparently has an obsession with him, they always play his songs on commercials and every time I’ve gone in there he’s playing on the PA system.

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.)

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships.

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today?

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name?
Spoiler

1. Harry Chapin
2. Larry Bird

DadofTwins

#35 Post by DadofTwins » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:00 am

Spoiler

1. Harry Chapin

2. Larry Bird

3. Willa Cather

4. Ellington?

5. Keyshawn Johnson

QOD: Nevada & North Carolina

5 Point Bonus - Taiwan

5 Point Bonus Bonus - Guessing Ford
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

mikehardware

#36 Post by mikehardware » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:09 am

Spoiler
1. Harry Chapin
2. Larry Bird
3. Laura Ingalls Wilder?
4. Louis Prima

5 Point Bonus - Taiwan

JBillyGirl

#37 Post by JBillyGirl » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:13 am

Spoiler
1. 1942 - A singer-songwriter best known for the song “Cats in the Cradle“ -- Harry Chapin

2. 1956 - I (obviously) love this Boston Celtic so much that a co-worker and I used to bring cake to work on December 7 to celebrate. Then we’d make everybody say “(Basketball God) RULZ!!!1” before we’d let them take a piece. -- Larry Byrd?

3. 1873 - This Pulitzer Prize winning novelist was born in Virginia and spent most of her adult life in New York City, but her novels set in the state of her late child and early adulthood are probably what got her into the Nebraska Hall of Fame. -- Willa Cather?

4. 1910 - This King of the Swingers was the voice of King Louie in The Jungle Book and a major plot point in the movie Big Night. And Olive Garden apparently has an obsession with him, they always play his songs on commercials and every time I’ve gone in there he’s playing on the PA system. -- Louis Armstrong?

5. 1973 - This somewhat traveled football player has said a lot of things, but he might be best known for saying “I love me some me!” (I actually have his book and it’s a really good read.) -- can't even think of a good guess

QOD: On December 7, 1941, there were 7 battleships at Pearl Harbor (I am not counting the ex-battleship Utah). Two of the battleships, the Arizona and the Oklahoma, were destroyed. Name two (and only two) of the remaining 5 battleships. -- nope

5 Point Bonus - In 1945, my great-uncle was shot down off the island of Formosa (his plane was never recovered, and my grandma has never really gotten over it). By what name do we call that island today? -- Taiwan

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name? -- see non-answer for #5

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#38 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:39 pm

12/7 A Day That Will Live in Infamy

This is because I think I actually know a couple of these and because it will throw a little challenge into the scoring grid. :D
Spoiler

Harry Chapin

Larry Bird

Willa Cather

Louie Prima

Pass.

Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Taiwan

Edsel
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheCalvinator24

#39 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Spoiler
Harry Chapin

Larry Bird
Willa Cather
Louis Prima
Terrell Owens
Pass
Taiwan
El Dorado
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

peacock2121

#40 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:30 am

fantine33 wrote:Ha! I was getting ready to reply, but read the rest of the messages first. I'm glad I did because your reply was absolutely elegant, mrkelley. Plus, you're awfully cute when you're indignant. I love it!

A minor quibble: Peacock would like it if I could manage to annoy Marley, Holtdad and BobJuch. I've managed to get to Marley (without even trying, yay me!) and I might have gotten to Holtdad with the Reality scoring. So I still need one for the trifecta. Do you think she would count it even if you did it for me? Ha!
One of my favorite quotes:

"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only that there be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I want only that their be annoyance, as to who happens to provide it, in that I have only a passing interest.

Thanks, mikey, thanks fanny.

Now I have to go find where marley and HoltDad were annoyed.

earendel

#41 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:21 am

fantine33 wrote:Maybe if I had asked for ALL the battleships' names, but I wouldn't do that. I'm sure that there are WWII buffs (maybe not on this board, but somewhere) that know all the names and which were in what quay and all that. I know all the (canonical) victims of Jack the Ripper, in order, but that's because I'm into that sort of thing. I don't expect the average Joe to know it, so I wouldn't ask that question (you're welcome, ha!) Besides, if someone really knew that much about the battleships, they'd know which one I left out and why. So, it still wouldn't matter.
Quite right, fanny. As a WWII buff, I would be one who would be able to tell you the order of the battleships in the harbor (Oklahoma was outboard of Maryland, for instance). And although the California was sunk it wasn't destroyed - it settled into the harbor but was eventually refloated and repaired.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

fantine33

#42 Post by fantine33 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:24 pm

12/7 A Day That Will Live in Infamy

HARRY CHAPIN

LARRY BIRD

I actually rooted for the Pacers when he was coaching them. Even though it nearly caused physical pain to do so.

WILLA CATHER

LOUIS PRIMA

The Jungle Book is one of my favourite movies, before the days of VHS we used to go see it every time it was at the drive-in. Like Caro, I love King Louie's song and have been singing it since I was a kid (even the ape sounds interlude, ha!).

TERRELL OWENS

I love me some TO! I think he gets an undeserved bad rap. I especially like his work with Alzheimer's.

CALIFORNIA
MARYLAND
NEVADA
TENNESSEE
WEST VIRGINIA

TAIWAN

5 Point Bonus Bonus - With what model of car does the person in #5 share his middle name?[/quote]

ELDORADO

I've often wanted to write to him and ask exactly what the deal is with this. I was surprised so many people knew it.

I must admit, my favourite answer was Deion Sanders and the Dodge Neon. Followed closely by Belvedere (just because I used to like Mr. Belvedere).

50 50 10 110 earendel
50 50 5 105 appa
50 50 5 105 ToLiveIsToFly
40 40 5 85 andrewjackson
40 40 5 85 ne1410s
40 40 5 85 tanstaafl
30 30 5 65 mrkelley
30 30 5 65 peacock
50 0 10 60 Calvinator
40 0 10 50 tlynn
40 0 5 45 KillerTomato
20 20 5 45 AnnieCamaro
30 0 10 40 nelly
30 0 5 35 jbillygirl
30 0 5 35 mikehardware
30 0 5 35 traininvain
30 0 5 35 wintergreen
20 0 5 25 kayrharris
20 0 5 25 rexer
20 0 5 25 seersucker
20 0 0 20 devilkitty
20 0 0 20 trevor macfee
10 0 5 15 jsuchard
10 0 5 15 saucy
40 -40 5 5 littlebeast
30 -30 5 5 DadofTwins
30 -30 5 5 kittyfish
30 -30 5 5 sportsfan
10 -10 5 5 Marley
40 -40 0 0 nitrah

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#43 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:31 pm

fantine33 wrote:
I must admit, my favourite answer was Deion Sanders and the Dodge Neon. Followed closely by Belvedere (just because I used to like Mr. Belvedere).
So, would it hurt to give a few humor points? :wink:
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

fantine33

#44 Post by fantine33 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:22 am

Rexer25 wrote:
fantine33 wrote:
So, would it hurt to give a few humor points? :wink:
Honestly, I was thinking about breaking ranks and giving you some points for it. But then somebody else had the same answer, and you can only get super special once in a lifetime points if it was so clever that nobody else could have thought of it.

I think the only time I've given extra points was when I did LS and had an Alice Cooper song with the line "I wonder what happened to Alice?" and (mikehardware, I think) answered "Housekeeper Blues - Ann B. Davis". You know it's funny if three or four years later you still remember it and laugh. At least I hope it was mikehardware and I'm not dissing somebody on the clever cred.

That is the scale upon which all future clever points shall be judged.
peacock2121 wrote:One of my favorite quotes:

"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only that there be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I want only that their be annoyance, as to who happens to provide it, in that I have only a passing interest.

Thanks, mikey, thanks fanny.

Now I have to go find where marley and HoltDad were annoyed.
I love that quote! I mean, I didn't know it before so I couldn't love it, but I love it now. That should be in your signature block.

I annoyed Marley in the Jeoparady audition test thread, where he informed me that he (and his posse) hated me, apparently for not treating auditions like they're life and death.

Holtdad did not follow question instructions (on purpose, I'm sure, I give leeway if it's inadvertant) and didn't get points. Although I doubt that annoyed him, since he probably didn't even look at it again. Funny I should see this today, though. Ha!

peacock2121

#45 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:01 am

I annoyed Marley in the Jeoparady audition test thread, where he informed me that he (and his posse) hated me, apparently for not treating auditions like they're life and death.
I am sure that would produce the desired result.

You can always try telling him to "be himself but larger" at an audition - that can do it as well. Try to get the word perky in there and that will help.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#46 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 am

I did not know Willa Cather was a Virginian. Maybe I should have actually read My Antonia in high school instead of just skimming like the slacker I was. I heard it is good.

And I sentence wintergreen to read "Why I Live at the PO" by Eudora Welty. It is short and reasonably amusing. But that is the only Eudora Welty I can recall reading, so maybe the rest is tedious...

Appa23

Nebraska HoF is Small Crowd

#47 Post by Appa23 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:58 am

Here is an article about the latest vote for an inductee:

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 180688.txt

Malcolm X gets getting to final vote and failing.

There are lots of years where no one gets enough votes.