Transcript 05/14/09 - Elli Lobach (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/14/09 - Elli Lobach (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu May 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Guest Host: Samantha Harris

Elli Lobach
Lakeside, MT
Grad student

Elli lives in a dorm with her husband; it's not the most private place for a pair of newlyweds.

Elli's dad always gave her advice, while she was at college and talking about boys or parties or anything that didn't have to do with school, "Remember what you're there for!" Elli told her dad that today, she'd remember what she's here for. She's here to win some money.

Question Topics:
* Personal Effects
* Viral Video
* First Known Use
* That's the Question
* Oil
* Trailblazers of Rock
* (What is It?)
* (Sun & Surf)
* (Diagnosing Homer)
* (2008 Farewells)
* (Investing)
* (State Names)
* (Factual Films)
* (Snail Mail)
* (Anesthesia)

Elli still has three lifelines left, including the ATE with today's expert, $250,000 winner Howard Johnson.

$25,000 * Trailblazers of Rock
In 2008, who became the first rock musician ever to win a Pulitzer Prize?

A: Bruce Springsteen B: Neil Young
C: Bob Dylan D: Bono

With 22 seconds left, Elli decides to Ask The Expert.

Howard: Can I phone a friend, here?

Samantha: Unfortunately, you're not in that Hot Seat any more, Howard.

Howard: No, okay, well, the likeliest guess would be Bob Dylan, but I'm still not 100%. If it means anything, Pulitzers were given out in America. It's an American prize. And Springsteen and Dylan are American. Neil Young is Canadian, and Bono is English, of course. So, for what it's worth, I would guess either Springsteen or Dylan.

With 22 seconds left, Elli decides to Phone A Friend.

Elli's PAF team are her friend, Beau, Dallas, Tx; her brother, Andrew, Lakeside, MI; and Dan, Seattle, WA. Elli calls Andrew. Samantha asks why Andrew?

Elli: My brother knows everything about trivia, so I'm hoping he'll know this one.

[A closeup of Andrew's photo shows him sleeping in a wheelbarrow.]

Elli paraphrases the question: Andrew, first rock musician to win Pulitzer Prize.

Andrew: Excuse me, what?

Elli: First rock musician Pulitzer Prize. Springsteen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan or Bono. Five seconds.

Andrew: [Some unintelligible, broken words] I think it's Bob--

Elli: [BLEEP]

Samantha: Well, that exclamation makes sense, because he didn't really get to the answer you're looking for!

With 3 seconds left, Elli decides to Double Dip.

Elli's first answer is
Spoiler
C: Bob Dylan

Answer
C: Bob Dylan ( 3 )
-- Commercial Break --

Elli has $25,000, but Samantha reminds her that yesterday, she had only one second left on the first question, so she almost left with nothing.

Elli's husband, Mike, says it's a litle stressful watching Elli from the audience, but she's doing great.

$50,000 * Oil
A standard barrel of oil holds roughly how many gallons?

A: 24 B: 42
C: 64 D: 82

For some reason, 64 is sticking out in Elli's mind. She makes that her final answer.

Elli leaves with $25,000.

Answer
B: 42 ( 8 )

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Transcript 05/14/09 - Elli Lobach (carryover)

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:04 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Guest Host: Samantha Harris

Elli Lobach
Lakeside, MT
Grad student

Elli lives in a dorm with her husband; it's not the most private place for a pair of newlyweds.

Elli's dad always gave her advice, while she was at college and talking about boys or parties or anything that didn't have to do with school, "Remember what you're there for!" Elli told her dad that today, she'd remember what she's here for. She's here to win some money.

Question Topics:
* Personal Effects
* Viral Video
* First Known Use
* That's the Question
* Oil
* Trailblazers of Rock
* (What is It?)
* (Sun & Surf)
* (Diagnosing Homer)
* (2008 Farewells)
* (Investing)
* (State Names)
* (Factual Films)
* (Snail Mail)
* (Anesthesia)

Elli still has three lifelines left, including the ATE with today's expert, $250,000 winner Howard Johnson.

$25,000 * Trailblazers of Rock

Howard: No, okay, well, the likeliest guess would be Bob Dylan, but I'm still not 100%. If it means anything, Pulitzers were given out in America. It's an American prize. And Springsteen and Dylan are American. Neil Young is Canadian, and Bono is English, of course. So, for what it's worth, I would guess either Springsteen or Dylan.

Elli's PAF team are her friend, Beau, Dallas, Tx; her brother, Andrew, Lakeside, MI; and Dan, Seattle, WA. Elli calls Andrew. Samantha asks why Andrew?

Elli: My brother knows everything about trivia, so I'm hoping he'll know this one.

Elli paraphrases the question: Andrew, first rock musician to win Pulitzer Prize.

Elli: First rock musician Pulitzer Prize. Springsteen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan or Bono. Five seconds.

Samantha: Well, that exclamation makes sense, because he didn't really get to the answer you're looking for!

Elli's first answer is
Spoiler

Answer
-- Commercial Break --

Elli has $25,000, but Samantha reminds her that yesterday, she had only one second left on the first question, so she almost left with nothing.

Elli's husband, Mike, says it's a litle stressful watching Elli from the audience, but she's doing great.

$50,000 * Oil

For some reason, 64 is sticking out in Elli's mind. She makes that her final answer.

Answer

Damn! So the answer IS always
Spoiler
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 pm

I bet that Bono will be surprised to discover that he is English. :)

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:10 am

$50K: Before the choices came up, I thought the answer was 55. But since that didn't come up as a choice and since none of the four answers was remotely close to 55, I would've Double Dipped on the two answers closest to it--42 and 64. Too bad I didn't ask this question as part of my 42 themed QOD last year.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri May 15, 2009 6:45 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$50K: Before the choices came up, I thought the answer was 55. But since that didn't come up as a choice and since none of the four answers was remotely close to 55, I would've Double Dipped on the two answers closest to it--42 and 64. Too bad I didn't ask this question as part of my 42 themed QOD last year.
A barrel of oil is 42 gallons IIRC the 55 gal drum came about because of some of John D. Rockefeller s predatory pricing policies.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 6:53 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:A barrel of oil is 42 gallons IIRC the 55 gal drum came about because of some of John D. Rockefeller s predatory pricing policies.

Wikipedia has a different story about the 55 gallon drum:
Today's 55-gallon drum resulted from military shipping requirements in World War II, the first war in which trucks, cold rolled steel, stamp or pattern forging machinery and welding were widely available. The drums helped win the Battle of Guadalcanal in the first U.S. offensive in the South Pacific Theater. The U.S. Navy could not maintain control of the seas long enough to offload aviation fuel for U.S. aircraft ashore, so the drums were often transported to the island on fast ships like destroyers, shoved over the sides (or time permitting, lowered in cargo nets. Aviation fuel is lighter than seawater, so the drums floated, and Navy Seabees corralled the drums in small craft.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Fri May 15, 2009 7:46 am

Elli Lobach
Lakeside, MT
Grad student

Not just "some money", but a million dollars. So many contestants seem to lose sight of that.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Trailblazers of Rock

Elli's first answer is
Spoiler
Answer
I don't know what happened to the phone connection but when I listened I wasn't sure whether he said "Bob" or "Bono". Once again Howard didn't sell his answer - he has been rather wishy-washy this whole week.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 * Oil

Answer
This used to be a standard part of any article about OPEC production - it would mention so many million barrels and then add "a barrel is approximately 42 gallons".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 7:52 am

earendel wrote:

Elli Lobach
Lakeside, MT
Grad student

Not just "some money", but a million dollars. So many contestants seem to lose sight of that.
Samantha is so proud that every contestant she's hosted this week has won $25,000!

Yeah, it's nice that nobody has dropped to $1,000 or llamaed, but didn't any of the APs tell Samantha that there's an upper tier of questions? :roll:

Weyoun

#9 Post by Weyoun » Fri May 15, 2009 8:03 am

Who is Howard? He's not exactly setting the world on fire as an expert.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 8:15 am

Weyoun wrote:Who is Howard? He's not exactly setting the world on fire as an expert.
He's a writer from Ottawa, IL, who won $250K on episodes that aired in February, 2005.

That they had to go back that far to find a $250K winner to be an expert is saying something...

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 8:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Weyoun wrote:Who is Howard? He's not exactly setting the world on fire as an expert.
He's a writer from Ottawa, IL, who won $250K on episodes that aired in February, 2005.

That they had to go back that far to find a $250K winner to be an expert is saying something...
One of his books is Monty Python's Tunisian Holiday: My Life with Brian. Reading the review for that reveals a celebrity anecdote that, IIRC, helped get him to the Hot Seat and probably to the expert Skype connection.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 8:51 am

Elli's appearance was reported briefly here:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009 ... s/br75.txt

The last line of of the article is puzzling:
For more information, read Friday's Missoulian or go to Missoulian.com.
But I did go to Missoulian.com for that story! Is there more???

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Elli's appearance was reported briefly here:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009 ... s/br75.txt

The last line of of the article is puzzling:
For more information, read Friday's Missoulian or go to Missoulian.com.
But I did go to Missoulian.com for that story! Is there more???
So did the newspaper article get the answer wrong, or did the transcript reverse the contestant's guess with the correct answer?
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 9:00 am

silvercamaro wrote:So did the newspaper article get the answer wrong, or did the transcript reverse the contestant's guess with the correct answer?
The newspaper got it wrong--somebody already commented about their mistake!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#15 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 15, 2009 9:02 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:So did the newspaper article get the answer wrong, or did the transcript reverse the contestant's guess with the correct answer?
Thanks. I have not seen that comment, but I trusted the transcript team more than the unknown reporter.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 9:04 am

silvercamaro wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Thanks. I have not seen that comment, but I trusted the transcript team more than the unknown reporter.
How could you ever imagine that I'd make a mistake like that? :P

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#17 Post by frogman042 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:09 am

silvercamaro wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
That's probably because it harder for the reporter to see if they made an error in their copy with a brown paper bag on their head.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#18 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 15, 2009 9:10 am

earendel wrote:
Once again Howard didn't sell his answer - he has been rather wishy-washy this whole week.
This is a recurring theme that I do not understand. Why in the world should an expert (or phone-a-friend) "sell" any answer for which the expert does not have certainty and cannot confirm?

If I were a contestant, I would not want the expert to pretend he had more authoritative knowledge about an answer than was the real case. It then would be my decision to either go with the other person's best guess or to use another lifeline.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#19 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 am

frogman042 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: The newspaper got it wrong--somebody already commented about their mistake!
That's probably because it harder for the reporter to see if they made an error in their copy with a brown paper bag on their head.
Another excellent retort that will be appreciated only by the same generation that liked the "Elkie Summers" BPOTD. :)

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 am

silvercamaro wrote:
earendel wrote:
Once again Howard didn't sell his answer - he has been rather wishy-washy this whole week.
This is a recurring theme that I do not understand. Why in the world should an expert (or phone-a-friend) "sell" any answer for which the expert does not have certainty and cannot confirm?

If I were a contestant, I would not want the expert to pretend he had more authoritative knowledge about an answer than was the real case. It then would be my decision to either go with the other person's best guess or to use another lifeline.
The best way to explain it, I suppose, is to compare Howard Johnson with Ken Jennings. If Ken didn't know the answer (such as the Oprah book question) he admitted it. He then tried to use a thinking process to reason to an answer. Howard, OTOH, has just said "I think it's x" but then didn't take the time to explain his confidence level or how he derived the answer. Granted on the particular question in this stack he did suggest that it would be Dylan because the Pulitzer is an American award. And possibly the questions that Howard has been given haven't been in his wheelhouse.

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 9:19 am

silvercamaro wrote:
earendel wrote:

Actually, Howard did a better job of explaining his hunch on this question than he did on the others.

Of course, if he doesn't really know an answer, it wouldn't do the contestant any good for him to pretend to more confidence than he has, but the one great advantage the expert has is that he's the only person who's not on the clock; as long as he can keep talking and making progress on a question, he can keep analyzing it, bringing up any factors about the question and the four choices that might be relevant, engaging the contestant in a dialog to see what he or she thinks (again, with the advantage of not having TDC count down), etc. Ogi is the champion of this approach, even if pea disapproves of some of his technique.

The example I'd present of Howard's failure to do this was with the "diastema" question earlier this week, where he rather confidently stated that it had to be dermatology and couldn't be any of the other choices, but didn't offer any explanation for why he thought so.

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Fri May 15, 2009 9:22 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
earendel wrote:

Actually, Howard did a better job of explaining his hunch on this question than he did on the others.

Of course, if he doesn't really know an answer, it wouldn't do the contestant any good for him to pretend to more confidence than he has, but the one great advantage the expert has is that he's the only person who's not on the clock; as long as he can keep talking and making progress on a question, he can keep analyzing it, bringing up any factors about the question and the four choices that might be relevant, engaging the contestant in a dialog to see what he or she thinks (again, with the advantage of not having TDC count down), etc. Ogi is the champion of this approach, even if pea disapproves of some of his technique.
I'm not sure that's true about the expert not being OTC. Perhaps hermillion or ogi will come around and correct me, but I get the feeling that the experts are told to keep it short.

MarleysGh0st

#23 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 9:26 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:I'm not sure that's true about the expert not being OTC. Perhaps hermillion or ogi will come around and correct me, but I get the feeling that the experts are told to keep it short.
Maybe, but there's definitely not a clock that will cut the expert off, like it will with the PAF call. We've seen lots of variation in how much an expert says.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#24 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 15, 2009 9:26 am

earendel wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
earendel wrote:

The best way to explain it, I suppose, is to compare Howard Johnson with Ken Jennings. If Ken didn't know the answer (such as the Oprah book question) he admitted it. He then tried to use a thinking process to reason to an answer. Howard, OTOH, has just said "I think it's x" but then didn't take the time to explain his confidence level or how he derived the answer. Granted on the particular question in this stack he did suggest that it would be Dylan because the Pulitzer is an American award. And possibly the questions that Howard has been given haven't been in his wheelhouse.
Okay, you are asking the expert to provide some context or reasoning for his answer. I agree that a fuller answer is better, and with no time limit, there's little reason for the expert not to expound a bit. I think you are giving a different meaning to the word "sell" than when Bob###s has used it in reference to phone-a-friends (unless I've misunderstood him, too.)

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2009 9:31 am

silvercamaro wrote:Okay, you are asking the expert to provide some context or reasoning for his answer. I agree that a fuller answer is better, and with no time limit, there's little reason for the expert not to expound a bit. I think you are giving a different meaning to the word "sell" than when Bob###s has used it in reference to phone-a-friends (unless I've misunderstood him, too.)
Yes, I'm using a more general definition. With the PAF call, "selling" an answer may simply mean sounding confident instead of wishy-washy, with some brief added details as time allows, in those cases where the PAF really is confident of the answer. It's awful when the PAF gives a correct answer and then the contestant uses another lifeline or walks away because it sounded like the PAF was only guessing.