New Coach of Ramblin' Wreck

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

New Coach of Ramblin' Wreck

#1 Post by Appa23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:12 pm

ESPN reporting that Navy Coach, Paul Johnson, has agreed to be the new head coach at Georiga Tech.

I have been interested by where some "hot" coaches have shown interest and not shown interest.

For example, Chris Peterson seems content to stay at Boise State and not try "big-time" football at high pressure school s like UCLA and Nebraska.

gotribego26

Re: New Coach of Ramblin' Wreck

#2 Post by gotribego26 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Appa23 wrote:ESPN reporting that Navy Coach, Paul Johnson, has agreed to be the new head coach at Georiga Tech.

I have been interested by where some "hot" coaches have shown interest and not shown interest.

For example, Chris Peterson seems content to stay at Boise State and not try "big-time" football at high pressure school s like UCLA and Nebraska.
Jim Grobe deciding to stay at Wake and not tackle the rigors of the SEC.

He was interviewed on the radio here today - said he thought long and hard, but decided that he had a good gig already

Buffacuse

#3 Post by Buffacuse » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:26 pm

As a Navy fan, I am way far bummed about this. Navy's AD seemed pretty po'd in his statement, thanking him for his work but saying that Johnson, in effect, was focused on himself and not the needs of his team which is getting ready for a bowl game in just two weeks. He will not coach Navy in the game.

I know he wasn't going to win a national championship at the academy, but, from my perspective, if I was a successful coach at a service academy, where I knew that the kids I was coaching were the best this country has, I'd never leave.

I think ego trumped his common sense--G Tech is a great school but I'll bet in a few years, he'll regret this decision.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:16 am

Johnson got his start here in Georgia, coaching five years and two 1-AA championships at Georgia Southern. Before he was a head coach, he had been an assistant at Georgia Southern under Erk Russell, a legend in the state of Georgia.

The year before he took over at Navy, they were winless. Within two years, they were in a bowl game and have played in one every year since then. He was 6-0 against Army, 5-1 against Air Force.

At Tech, the priorities are a coach who knows the area and can compete for the local talent, one who understands the problems inherent at a school with a strong academic tradition (there's no P.E. majors at Tech), and one who understands the importance of competing with our #1 rival (something that seems to have eluded Chan Gailey, who never seem to have much of a sense of urgency about playing Georgia). Johnson is, in my view, the perfect choice.

The one thing that bothers me a bit is that Johnson's teams at Navy and Georgia Southern ran the ball almost exclusively and rarely threw, and I'm not sure you can win at the top level without a legitimate passing threat. He has indicated he will be willing to open the game up more, but that remains to be seen. Johnson will call his own plays at Tech, which Gailey didn't do the last couple of years. Our backup quarterback, who will probably start next year, does run the ball well and would seem to be a good fit for Johsnon's offense, and we have some talented younger running backs as well.

I also hope he keeps our current defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta. Johnson's Navy teams had defensive problems a lot (they won one game last year 74-62 against North Texas, with opponents scoring in the 40's seven times in twelve games). Still, he will find himself able to attract better talent at Tech (especially if Tenuta stays) than at Navy.

When Tech fired Gailey, I was hoping they would get Johnson and they did, so I'm happy about this move.