Transcript 5/20/09 - Kara Olson (Carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/20/09 - Kara Olson (Carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed May 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Kara Olson
White Plains, NY
Research Scientist, Beret Wearer, and Mother of Two

Meredith introduced Kara as being "originally from Seattle" rather than "from about 20 minutes from here, in White Plains," although the chyron specified Kara's real residency. And Meredith then mentioned that Kara and her husband moved from Seattle to the "East Coast" and used a lot of their savings in doing so. Kara misses Seattle, but likes the East Coast. She's also a big fan of punk rock, and her five-year-old son and 22-month-old daughter love it too.

Kara has $8,000 and 2 lifelines left (PAF and DD). Her category tree:

The Breeders
The First Time
Veto Power
Classical Music
South of the Border
Gotham
The Birds
(National Anthems)
(Grand Openings)
(Bold-Faced Names)
(One-Liners)
(Evel Knievel
(Small Businesses)
(It's Showtime!)
(I Swear)

$16,000 (The Birds): Which of these birds is able to fly?
A. Kiwi B. Ostrich
C. Emu D. Peacock

Kara decides to PAF (11). Standing by are Kara's husband Jess (White Plains, NY); sister-in-law Sara (Olympia, WA); and brother, Brian (Chicago, IL). Kara opts to call her husband, Jess.

Kara reads the question and answers (22). Jess responds with
Spoiler
Peacock with 17 seconds left
, and Kara reiterates the "CAN fly" part and Jess says "Yes". As Kara says he's the smartest man she knows, the audience gives an "Awwww!" just as Jess adds,
Spoiler
"I've seen them on rooftops before".
Spoiler
D. Peacock (7)
$25,000 (Gotham): Although the name was later popularized by the Batman comic series, what author was the first to refer to New York City as "Gotham"?
A. Washington Irving B. Jack London
C. Upton Sinclair D. James Fenimore Cooper

Kara chooses
Spoiler
C
, which is incorrect, and leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
A. Washington Irving (7)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Transcript 5/20/09 - Kara Olson (Carryover)

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:05 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kara Olson
White Plains, NY

Meredith introduced Kara as being "originally from Seattle" rather than "from about 20 minutes from here, in White Plains," although the chyron specified Kara's real residency. And Meredith then mentioned that Kara and her husband moved from Seattle to the "East Coast" and used a lot of their savings in doing so. Kara misses Seattle, but likes the East Coast. She's also a big fan of punk rock, and her five-year-old son and 22-month-old daughter love it too.

Kara has $8,000 and 2 lifelines left (PAF and DD). Her category tree:

The Breeders
The First Time
Veto Power
Classical Music
South of the Border
Gotham
The Birds
(National Anthems)
(Grand Openings)
(Bold-Faced Names)
(One-Liners)
(Evel Knievel
(Small Businesses)
(It's Showtime!)
(I Swear)

$16,000 (The Birds): Which of these birds is able to fly?
A. Kiwi B. Ostrich
C. Emu D. Peacock

Kara decides to PAF (11). Standing by are Kara's husband Jess (White Plains, NY); sister-in-law Sara (Olympia, WA); and brother, Brian (Chicago, IL). Kara opts to call her husband, Jess.

Spoiler
, and Kara reiterates the "CAN fly" part and Jess says "Yes". As Kara says he's the smartest man she knows, the audience gives an "Awwww!" just as Jess adds,
Spoiler
Spoiler
D. Peacock (7)
$25,000 (Gotham): Although the name was later popularized by the Batman comic series, what author was the first to refer to New York City as "Gotham"?

Kara chooses
Spoiler
C
Spoiler
A. Washington Irving (7)
I've never seen a peacock on my roof. A fiddler maybe but not colorful bird.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

KillerTomato

#3 Post by KillerTomato » Wed May 20, 2009 5:22 pm

ulysses5019 wrote: I've never seen a peacock on my roof. A fiddler maybe but not colorful bird.

I wonder if it's anything like seeing a turtle on a fencepost....
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Wed May 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Kara chooses
Spoiler
C
After this wrong guess, which seemed to come out of left field, Meredith said something like, "Yes, that certainly seemed like the right answer. I would have said that too." Why does she always say dumb stuff like that? What possible logic would make that seem like the best answer? I would think maybe the rationale for this guess was lost in the editing, but with the clock, that really can't happen anymore.

KillerTomato

#5 Post by KillerTomato » Wed May 20, 2009 5:57 pm

TheConfessor wrote:

Kara chooses
Spoiler
C
After this wrong guess, which seemed to come out of left field, Meredith said something like, "Yes, that certainly seemed like the right answer. I would have said that too." Why does she always say dumb stuff like that? What possible logic would make that seem like the best answer? I would think maybe the rationale for this guess was lost in the editing, but with the clock, that really can't happen anymore.

Playing Devil's Advocate, Sinclair is the most recent of the bunch, and wrote stories with urban settings, unlike Irving, London and Cooper.

But knowing that Irving set his works in New York State (unlike the other three) would have helped Kara.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Wed May 20, 2009 6:12 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:

Kara chooses
Spoiler
C

Playing Devil's Advocate, Sinclair is the most recent of the bunch, and wrote stories with urban settings, unlike Irving, London and Cooper.

But knowing that Irving set his works in New York State (unlike the other three) would have helped Kara.
When I considered this question, Sinclair's being the most recent of the bunch helped make him least likely. And Cooper's most famous work, The Last of the Mohicans, was set in New York state (actually a colony at the time). So I figured it had to be Irving or Cooper, before considering other factors to narrow it down to a single answer. But sometimes good logic produces bad answers, and vice versa.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#7 Post by frogman042 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:02 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: After this wrong guess, which seemed to come out of left field, Meredith said something like, "Yes, that certainly seemed like the right answer. I would have said that too." Why does she always say dumb stuff like that? What possible logic would make that seem like the best answer? I would think maybe the rationale for this guess was lost in the editing, but with the clock, that really can't happen anymore.

When I considered this question, Sinclair's being the most recent of the bunch helped make him least likely. And Cooper's most famous work, The Last of the Mohicans, was set in New York state (actually a colony at the time). So I figured it had to be Irving or Cooper, before considering other factors to narrow it down to a single answer. But sometimes good logic produces bad answers, and vice versa.
Yes, only two of the authors are associated with New York - but Cooper is upstate New York (I've been to the his house which is a muesum and is located by the odd coincidence in Cooperstown). Irving was downstate with a lot of tails set in the Catskills and Hudson River valley - I thought it was most likely Irving but I might have doubled-dipped.

KillerTomato

#8 Post by KillerTomato » Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 pm

frogman042 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:

Yes, only two of the authors are associated with New York - but Cooper is upstate New York (I've been to the his house which is a muesum and is located by the odd coincidence in Cooperstown). Irving was downstate with a lot of tails set in the Catskills and Hudson River valley - I thought it was most likely Irving but I might have doubled-dipped.

Sometimes, NOT knowing something is a help. I always associated Cooper with a more New England-y area, rather than NY. Plus, the time period he wrote about wouldn't lend itself to naming NYC "Gotham" I don't think.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:25 am

$25K: No clue on this one. I would've phoned a friend.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu May 21, 2009 5:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kara Olson
White Plains, NY
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (The Birds): Which of these birds is able to fly?
A. Kiwi B. Ostrich
C. Emu D. Peacock

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
D. Peacock (7)
OK, Jess, but how do you know they didn't walk up there? :mrgreen:
I knew this because I figure our own Peacock flew to Florida. :mrgreen:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Gotham): Although the name was later popularized by the Batman comic series, what author was the first to refer to New York City as "Gotham"?

Kara chooses
Spoiler
C
Spoiler
A. Washington Irving (7)
I'm not sure why I knew this (although being a fan of Batman maybe I picked it up somewhere).

Overall a nihil obstat® stack.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 21, 2009 6:11 am

KillerTomato wrote:Sometimes, NOT knowing something is a help. I always associated Cooper with a more New England-y area, rather than NY.
Come on up to Cooperstown, sometime, in the Central-Leatherstocking region of New York! :P